Question Android 13 "stable" pooches the fingerprint reader

Search This thread

greatgoogly

Aug 28, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Google Pixel 6a
Pixel 6a. Just upgraded from Android 12 where the fingerprint reader worked decently. Now on A13 and although previously registered (on A12) fingerprints work, I cannot register any new fingerprints. Repeatedly get the "Couldn't process fingerprint. Please try again" error. This previously occurred on the most recent beta of A13 but once I rolled back to A12 fingerprints could be read.

Last edited:

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
On the beta I did a factory reset and it didn't fix it. I then couldn't even register a single fingerprint so extremely reluctant to do another factory reset. At least right now I have one registered fingerprint that works.

Thats a shame. Im not even going to mess with updating to A13 for a few days at least....maybe not till next week.

Reactions: cacrab1

damian5000

Oct 25, 2011
Mine working okay. Doesn't seem any different 12 vs 13B vs 13S. Do you have the warranty? This could be an issue with the sensor itself.

msgfromside3

Nov 23, 2010
Another user reporting FP issue after the upgrade. 12 was okay but 13 doesn't work with registered FPs nor letting me add new ones. Sigh.

radekmazur

Sep 20, 2015
I never had issues with 12 and don't have issues with 13. I do not use any screen protectors at this point but I have one coming.

You guys need to redo your fingers twice and increase sensitivity in settings.

Reactions: dudaka

msgfromside3

Nov 23, 2010
Another user reporting FP issue after the upgrade. 12 was okay but 13 doesn't work with registered FPs nor letting me add new ones. Sigh.
So it turns out that FP reader with A13 does work well with dry skin now. I just washed my hand with water and it let me register. My hands are usually very dry so this is going to be a problem..

Edit: moisture doesn't help with recognizing fingerprint when I tried to use it. Instead, I found the spot on the sensor it works better (slight upper left part) . This is absurd but at least I figured out the way to use it.

Last edited:

p3108

Jun 8, 2017
Me too. Had a shower and it worked fine until my hands have now fully dried out and yes I have dry skin naturally.

superbellefleche

Jun 22, 2011
This FP is just making me go crazy, almost slowly worked in 12, since 13, it's just not working at all, I succeed register 4 fingerprints (with only 2 thumbs...), it took me about 20 minutes... but after, it never recognizes me... The only change is that, since 13, this phone ask my password faster than 12. In fact, after 2 tries. Wow, really impressed by the Google hard work on Android 13. I'm starting to think to ask a refund, I'm starting to regret my good old xiaomi mi mix 2s with his back FP, fast and reliable.....

mmead1143

Dec 27, 2010
I had some user errors lol on the FP origninally but it was only in the way I was placing my finger on the sensor. It's a bit different with the screen having a "spot" to place your finger on, rather than a seperate part of the display like hte 3a. You kind of have to "push" into the screen for a split second to take. Once I figured that out I was able to use FP no problem.

neo_lithic3K

May 12, 2013
San Francisco
Google Pixel 6a
This FP is just making me go crazy, almost slowly worked in 12, since 13, it's just not working at all, I succeed register 4 fingerprints (with only 2 thumbs...), it took me about 20 minutes... but after, it never recognizes me... The only change is that, since 13, this phone ask my password faster than 12. In fact, after 2 tries. Wow, really impressed by the Google hard work on Android 13. I'm starting to think to ask a refund, I'm starting to regret my good old xiaomi mi mix 2s with his back FP, fast and reliable.....

I had the same issue as you on a13 (beta and stable) after about 1-2 days clean install but didn't seem to have any issues on a12. I was almost ready to downgrade back to a12. However, i later learned that it was due to my dry fingers.

Note: On a13, i do have issues with fingerprint sensor in bright sunlight. It won't recognize my fingerprint at all

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Like earlier stated, a "firm" initial press seems to make it work most times, but they definitely need to keep working on this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wish they would leave it on the back or put it on the power button. Never had a problem with those
    Well, I have complete different experience.

I was on A13 Beta where FP was most inconsistent..

After installing A13 Stable, it's better than A12..

No factory Reset, Nothing
    I had some user errors lol on the FP origninally but it was only in the way I was placing my finger on the sensor. It's a bit different with the screen having a "spot" to place your finger on, rather than a seperate part of the display like hte 3a. You kind of have to "push" into the screen for a split second to take. Once I figured that out I was able to use FP no problem.
    Same issue, I re-scanned my fingers, but it didn't help much and even the scanning seems to be struggling.
    I have figured it out that you have to press the finger REALLY hard in order to work properly. This wasn't the case with Android 12 and I hope they fix it.
    You may have to factory reset unfortunately. That "fixed" it mostly on the beta.
    On the beta I did a factory reset and it didn't fix it. I then couldn't even register a single fingerprint so extremely reluctant to do another factory reset. At least right now I have one registered fingerprint that works.