Question Android 13 "stable" pooches the fingerprint reader

Search This thread

HangF1re

Aug 23, 2022
Similar to others - pixel 6a:
Android 12 fingerprint reader worked reasonable well (albeit not fast)
Tried the Android 13 beta and fp reader very poor at recognising finger and difficult to add new.
Factory reset to Android 12 and ok
Upgraded to Android 13 when formally released - back with terrible performance, probably works one in 20 times. If I registered new fingerprint (if I am able, not easy to work), works for short period and then goes back to poor performance.

Suggestions and ideas welcome

superbellefleche

Jun 22, 2011
Sometimes it works better, sometimes it stop working, I have tried to register fingerprints in the dark, with low brightness, dark themed, I have cleaned my screen protection with isopropanol... I will try to change my screen protector (i bought several models from aliexpress) but hey, it seems Google has "certified" some screen protections as "compatible" with this fingerprints scanner..... Wow, what a mess

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
No meaningful difference here after A13 upgrade. No screen protector. In general I dislike the implementation (slow, finicky regression from Pixel 4a, etc) but remains serviceable. Likely bound by hardware/design deficiencies.

Reactions: ctfrommn

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Google Pixel 6a
Upgrade did the same for me. Reasonably fast and reliable in A12. Very inconsistent with A13. Actually, there are several issues with A13. Once I give it some time to stabilize, I'll post about what i see.

Edit: already seems stable and fast, again. Have not had issues with the screen blacking out and the fingerprint sensor recognizes both thumbs regardless of how my thumb is touching the screen.

Last edited:

Zenthar

Mar 27, 2019
Same issue, I re-scanned my fingers, but it didn't help much and even the scanning seems to be struggling.

Zenthar

Mar 27, 2019
I have figured it out that you have to press the finger REALLY hard in order to work properly. This wasn't the case with Android 12 and I hope they fix it.
I got the update only Monday night so I'm also still experimenting a bit. Following some other comments I've seen, I put some moisturizing cream on my fingers and let it absorb for a few minutes, it seems to have made quite a difference: from a 10% success rate I'm probably over 75% now.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks. I had set this but I continue to ask me if is it a software or and hardware problem..the sensor sometimes works perfectly but in some case it doesn't works (with a lot of attempts) and it's very frustrating
You think that's frustrating try adding another finger print. I've been trying for 2 weeks now and it won't register at all no matter what I do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wish they would leave it on the back or put it on the power button. Never had a problem with those
    Well, I have complete different experience.

I was on A13 Beta where FP was most inconsistent..

After installing A13 Stable, it's better than A12..

No factory Reset, Nothing
    I had some user errors lol on the FP origninally but it was only in the way I was placing my finger on the sensor. It's a bit different with the screen having a "spot" to place your finger on, rather than a seperate part of the display like hte 3a. You kind of have to "push" into the screen for a split second to take. Once I figured that out I was able to use FP no problem.
    Same issue, I re-scanned my fingers, but it didn't help much and even the scanning seems to be struggling.
    I have figured it out that you have to press the finger REALLY hard in order to work properly. This wasn't the case with Android 12 and I hope they fix it.
    You may have to factory reset unfortunately. That "fixed" it mostly on the beta.
    On the beta I did a factory reset and it didn't fix it. I then couldn't even register a single fingerprint so extremely reluctant to do another factory reset. At least right now I have one registered fingerprint that works.