General Android 13 QPR3 went final in June 2023-opt-out now to get the OTA without wiping - Pixel 6 Pro [Raven] - [thread also for future Android QPR Betas]

Search This thread

acwcanada

Mar 19, 2016
Google Pixel 8
Rooting your $1k handset can't be worth all the trouble you read about on this forum, and many other android-based platforms. And doing so, at what cost...I mean, what is the net effect?!
IMO, it appears a rooted device, becomes a high maintenance device to the user. Stay Strong Stay Stock, Son!! es
(lookout, here comes my correction I'm posting in the wrong spot, or worse)
Its a free world so we are free to have our own idea on almost anything. Whether it is worth or not to root your phone is the same, some say yes and some say no, I would say it depends your needs!
I was always a Samsung user and never needed to root until 2017 with my Galaxy S8+. However, in 2018 when my S8+ updated to Android 9, I couldn't record phone calls anymore and the Samsung Snapdragon never allow to unlock the bootloader, so I switch to Google pixel and start to root those phones I used in the pass 5 years. My reason to root my phone is really simple: I need call recorder for my phone and you can't record call without root with Android 9 onward. I run a business which I would need to talk to people over the phone alot. People would leave me a phone number to call back to talk our business in a later time and/or tell me an address and/or time to meet, I don't have the time or the opportunity to use a pen to take those info as I may also driving back and forth for my business during those conversations. Recording calls would allow me to have those information taken in my spare time. (Don't worry, I abide the law as I am living in Canada, it is legal to record phone calls without the other party's consent provided that I am the other involved call party). So I need to and I will always root my phone even just for this purpose if Google is not going to reinstate the call recording function.
And to me, rooting is really simple especially for the Google Pixel, I think I got it done with less than 20 minutes. And for the monthly update, it is even quicker than unrooted Pixel with OTA.

Reactions: evnStevn

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Its a free world so we are free to have our own idea on almost anything. Whether it is worth or not to root your phone is the same, some say yes and some say no, I would say it depends your needs!
I was always a Samsung user and never needed to root until 2017 with my Galaxy S8+. However, in 2018 when my S8+ updated to Android 9, I couldn't record phone calls anymore and the Samsung Snapdragon never allow to unlock the bootloader, so I switch to Google pixel and start to root those phones I used in the pass 5 years. My reason to root my phone is really simple: I need call recorder for my phone and you can't record call without root with Android 9 onward. I run a business which I would need to talk to people over the phone alot. People would leave me a phone number to call back to talk our business in a later time and/or tell me an address and/or time to meet, I don't have the time or the opportunity to use a pen to take those info as I may also driving back and forth for my business during those conversations. Recording calls would allow me to have those information taken in my spare time. (Don't worry, I abide the law as I am living in Canada, it is legal to record phone calls without the other party's consent provided that I am the other involved call party). So I need to and I will always root my phone even just for this purpose if Google is not going to re instate the call recording function.
And to me, rooting is really simple especially for the Google Pixel, I think I got it done with less than 20 minutes. And for the monthly update, it is even quicker than unrooted Pixel with OTA.
So your point, rooting your device(s) is tantamount to your business and it's success. And with your background and experience, the rooting process and it's binary effects on your device(s) are negligible when considering the negative impact on your business if the rooting process wasn't an option. Therefore, the rooting process doesn't require an additional investment of your time (liability) but is necessary in the ongoing operation of your company. In summary, without rooting and it's binary offerings allowing you to procure features (assets) for your devices (you would otherwise do without ), would undoubtedly cause a negative impact on your business, possibly causing it to fail. So, you my friend unequivocally have the need for rooting your device(s) and given your experience with the process, make it seem as an everyday walk in the park. Your mention, about 2017 and the Android 9 Update, I do remember tidbits of the call recording feature previously being offered because I discovered it merely by accident on (I believe) my Galaxy Note 8!? I recall thinking, "damn I think this might be illegal, doesn't Samsung care?" And, then before you knew it, GONE!! Back to rooting, some folks could do without, and others (like you), it's not even a consideration not to root. A debate found in mankind's early literature, whereas a good story
has to have a Protagonist & Antagonist. es

Last edited:
Reactions: acwcanada

CubnPackdad

Apr 7, 2021
My biggest issue with this damn phone is the Battery life an how slow it charges.I have turned setting off etc etc and also tried all types of charges etc The battery drain is stupid and how slow it charges is complete garbage. Android 12 or 13 betas same damn thing with the battery

Reactions: evnStevn

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 8 Pro
My biggest issue with this damn phone is the Battery life an how slow it charges.I have turned setting off etc etc and also tried all types of charges etc The battery drain is stupid and how slow it charges is complete garbage. Android 12 or 13 betas same damn thing with the battery
And, let's not forget the sporadic heating-up of the device when using a wall charger?
(that goes for both, my fast 45w and 30w)!

acwcanada

Mar 19, 2016
Google Pixel 8
I am an old man so really not a gamer. I use my phone everyday from 7-8 am, normally I would spend a couple hours to read email and messages then answering them if needed. During the day, I normally make and receiving calls more than a hour. Surfing the internet for web pages such as CNN, ESPN etc might occur during the breaks for another hour at least. I'll use the phone for watching YouTube and Facebook etc in the evening when I am off work. So I believe the total "Screen on Time" must be closed to 5 hours or even more plus a couple hours of talking. I always find that the P6P still has around 35% juice left when I go to bed and put it on the wireless charger. Is it excellent? No, but I would say that the battery drain of this phone is similar to others. I put my phone to charge overnight, so I don't need quick charging and really couldn't comment on it. But since end of October last year when I first got this P6P, for the past almost 8 months, I never found that I need to top up the battery during the day.
So my suggestion is that wipe you phone and start from the very basic. Stay with stock kernel and never install apps which saying would improve your battery, internet, connection etc. Same as Windows software which saying could clean the registry and improve your system, those apps and software normally are doing more harm than good for your phone and your computer. Once up, review all the settings and to make sure they are in a way that you want them (for example: is your service provider provide 5G and you are a subscriber, if not then you shouldn't set your preferred network type to it. I am in Canada, almost all the 2nd tier service providers still not providing 5G, and even the three top tier do provide 5G but the connection is really poor in a lot of areas. It is a known issue that the phone would drain much quicker for its battery if the connection is poor and the phone is always trying to connect to it). Also, give sometime to study all the installed apps (system and user), disable background activity and notification if you don't need them. Almost all the apps including Google's system apps want to run in the background and send you notifications based on their interests but not yours (Just examples, I want Gmail to run in the background and give me notification when new mails come in, but I don't need/want Google Photos, Maps and Drive to run in the background, and definitely don't want any notification from those apps). Then give a few days for your phone to learn how you use your phone and how/when you charge it, eventually, the adaptive charging will kick in, then you might find your battery drain and charging is much improved.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Android 13 will get official support for exFAT after years of development hell​

BYJULES WANG
A very subtle change allowed a Pixel 6 Pro to read an exFAT-formatted drive, but it took a lot to get there

Android 13 will bring about the ability for a Pixel device to handle files larger than 4GB in disk memory for the first time. But the story of how the exFAT file format came to be supported on the Pixel 6 is one that has come together, piece by piece, over a long period.

We have Mishaal Rahman, technical editor at Esper, to thank for walking down the garden path after he found that support for exFAT (Extensible File Allocation Table) was only available on his Pixel 6 Pro after he moved it from Android 12L to the Android 13 Beta. Considering that exFAT support is available for Android versions running on version 5.10 or later of the Linux kernel and that Android 12L was on 5.10.81-android12-9 and that the beta was on 5.10.107-android13-4, something was out of place here.

If you own a non-Google Android device and happen to use exFAT drives with it, you might be wondering what all the fuss is about. Turns out that they had been paying Microsoft — creator of exFAT back in 2006 and, therefore, its proprietor — to support it so that their hardware could work with the wide breadth of accessories that were formatted in exFAT. Samsung was one of the OEMs who paid up for support and then subsequently developed a back-pocket exFAT driver. Once Microsoft pushed exFAT public in 2019 and encouraged its integration into Linux, the kernel community began working on ways to do so. Samsung's exFAT driver was made over and ultimately was chosen to be put into Linux 5.7.

Android kernel development and developers down the chain don't like having to jump versions so quickly, preferring to maintain long-term support for any particular version to ensure a more stable platform. At that point, the Google-maintained Android Common Kernel was based on Linux 5.4 and it wasn't until 5.10 that it would form a new branch. In any case, Android 12 devices based on the 5.10 kernel do technically support mounting and dismounting exFAT. So, what was preventing the Pixel 6 Pro on 12L from reading an exFAT drive?

It turns out that the mounting service for exFAT, known as the volume daemon or vold, checks to see if it has access to a couple of specfic "helper" binaries. If they're not there, the mounting service fails the check and won't work. It seems that the Android 12 builds that the Pixel 6 Pro was running on didn't have those binaries because they weren't being called from their designated library. Presumably, that call is present on the Android 13 builds. And that's how Android 13 has come to support exFAT... well, officially speaking – at least one custom kernel developer was apparently able to patch the binary check out of the exFAT driver, so it could theoretically be backported to an older build of Android.

At some point, other OEMs will be able to adapt exFAT support straight from AOSP once Google exports its changes from Android 13.

If you liked this story, you'll definitely enjoy another rabbit hole involving Android, Huawei, and the new-fangled EROFS file format. And if you like both of those stories, well, we honestly can't recommend Mishaal's Android Dessert Bytes column highly enough.

Last edited:

kastuvas

Aug 6, 2012
South West UK

Yeahhh I use a charging cable which shows charging wattage and sometimes especially if I use headphones it drops to just 3W, pretty sure it's phone heat related drop cause it starts at respectable 22W but then heats up a bit and drops quickly. And my PPS wall charger and power bank can keep constant 45W+ with the same cable in my laptop, so it's definitely the phone. Annoying!!! and probably will never be fixed

sbreit

Nov 18, 2014
Just updated to Beta 3.2 and noticed that the "Feature Flags" are empty. I was looking for the settings_app_locale_opt_in_enabled flag, but I suppose they're gone for good :(

• Sad
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
Now playing is not working for me, someone else?
It's not working for me either on 13B3.2. But then again, my call and some text notifications aren't working either on this build. And that's presumably because it's the only Android build that I haven't done a clean install with in quite a while. On the Android 13 beta site it specifically mentioned updating over the last beta build rather than doing a full wipe and installation. But I regret listening to them and am just gonna have to wait a few more weeks before the July beta build releases.

So, TL;DR: if you didn't do a clean install after a full wipe, you may experience this problem.

Reactions: gpvecchi

WhoIsJohnGalt1979

Jun 12, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
This post might be really cringe worthy for a lot of disgruntled users with A13, however, I in a moment of absolute impulse, un-rooted my P6P, no magisk mods nothing, stock image stock kernel stock everything lol, I can only tell you it's been the most liberating feeling this last 3 weeks and strictly from a user experience perspective this latest A13 beta is great. Phew! that's one long sentence with a lot of commas. Again, it's just a personal perspective.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
All, this is not a thread for opinions about the Pixel 6/Pro in general, nor is it a thread made for rants. Opinions specifically about Android 13 are fine. I know there have been a few posts that have nothing specific to do with Android 13 and I've let it go. If anyone wants to make posts that don't address anything specifically about Android 13, there are many, many threads in this section where that has taken place.

I know, because I used to read every post in this section but now I avoid the threads that contain those kinds of posts, and I'd like to not see them here in this thread. Any further posts of those types will be deleted as off-topic.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yet another Beta of 13, Beta 3.3:

Pixel 6 Proraven-tpb3.220617.002-factory-1acb43a3.zip1acb43a3d082b8d2cd16cba834c1b1de25042c5d5122483bbf54ff4a16682186

Android 13 Beta 3.3 (June 2022)
Release date: June 27, 2022
Build: TPB3.220617.002
Emulator support: x86 (64-bit), ARM (v8-A)
Security patch level: June 2022
Google Play services: 22.21.16
API diff:

If you’re already running a Developer Preview or Beta build, you will automatically receive an over-the-air (OTA) update to Beta 3.3.

This minor update to Android 13 Beta 3 includes stability and performance improvements as well as the following fixes:

• Fixed an issue with the Pixel launcher where if the Always show keyboard option was enabled for the app drawer, then when the user closed the app drawer and opened an app folder on the Home screen, the keyboard was erroneously shown as well. (Issue #236584457)
  • Fixed an issue where in some cases, such as gesturing to go back, the system UI crashed. (Issue #236558007)
  • Fixed an issue where devices couldn't connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)
  • Fixed an issue where the BluetoothManagerService continued to try and bind to the TbsService even when bluetooth.profile.ccp.server.enabled was false, leading to slow performance and cold starts for apps.
  • Fixed an issue where in some cases after a device was plugged in to charge (for example, overnight), the device would become unresponsive until it was rebooted.
  • Fixed a kernel issue with lib/list_debug.c that caused a kernel panic in certain cases on some devices.
  • Fixed an issue with the Connectivity Thermal Power Manager that caused slow UI rendering, unresponsiveness in apps, and poor battery performance in some cases.

June 27, 2022 2:30pm Comment Skanda Hazarika

Google rolls out Android 13 Beta 3.3 with a bunch of bug fixes​

The beta branch of Android 13 just picked up a new bug-squashing update. Following in the footsteps of Android 13 Beta 3’s earlier incremental updates, this new release fixes a whole bunch of issues, including slow UI rendering, inability to connect to a Wi-Fi network, system UI crashes, and a few other problems.
The build number of Android 13 Beta 3.3 is TPB3.220617.002. There is no change in the security patch level, though, hence it’s still June 2022 on this release. You can find the full list of published fixes in this update below:
  • Fixed an issue with the Pixel launcher where if the Always show keyboard option was enabled for the app drawer, then when the user closed the app drawer and opened an app folder on the Home screen, the keyboard was erroneously shown as well. (Issue #236584457)
  • Fixed an issue where in some cases, such as gesturing to go back, the system UI crashed. (Issue #236558007)
  • Fixed an issue where devices couldn’t connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)
  • Fixed an issue where the BluetoothManagerService continued to try and bind to the TbsService even when bluetooth.profile.ccp.server.enabled was false, leading to slow performance and cold starts for apps.
  • Fixed an issue where in some cases after a device was plugged in to charge (for example, overnight), the device would become unresponsive until it was rebooted.
  • Fixed a kernel issue with lib/list_debug.c that caused a kernel panic in certain cases on some devices.
  • Fixed an issue with the Connectivity Thermal Power Manager that caused slow UI rendering, unresponsiveness in apps, and poor battery performance in some cases.
Apart from the aforementioned bug fixes, the update also bumps the Google Play services version from 22.18.19 to 22.21.16.
In case your Google Pixel device is already enrolled in the Android 13 beta program, you will automatically receive an over-the-air update to Beta 3.3. You can also download the full OTA or the factory image from the link below if you want to manually upgrade to the latest beta release.
Download Android 13 Beta 3.3

Source: Android Beta Program on Reddit

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member

June 28, 2022 10:50am Comment Pranob Mehrotra

Android 13 Beta 3.3 brings the new Android 13 easter egg​

After releasing Android 13 Beta 3.2 earlier this month, Google rolled out another beta build to the Pixel lineup this week. The latest release, Android 13 Beta 3.3, addressed several bugs, including slow UI rendering, inability to connect to a Wi-Fi network, system UI crashes, and more. While Google’s official changelog did not highlight any other changes, recent reports suggest that the update also includes the Android 13 easter egg.
If you’ve just updated your Pixel device to Android 13 Beta 3.3, you can now access the Android 13 easter egg on your phone. To do so, head over to the About Phone section in the device settings and tap on the Android version repeatedly. This should open up the same UI that you got with the Android 12 easter egg. If you move the clock hands to the 1 o’clock position, the Android 13 logo will pop up on the clock face with the Material You Dynamic Color bubbles in the background. But that’s not all.

If you tap and hold the bubbles, they’ll change into emoji. You can then long-press the emoji to cycle through fourteen thematic sets. These include: Fruit, Cat faces, Regular faces, Expressive (eye) faces, Melting face, Hearts/love, Outer space, Moon, Aquatic life, Monkeys, Zodiac, Clocks, Flowers, and Turtle king.
Screenshot of Android 13 easter egg. Screenshot of Android 13 easter egg. Screenshot of Android 13 easter egg. Screenshot of Android 13 easter egg.

At the moment, it isn’t clear whether Google plans to a new easter egg widget as it did with Android 12. We’ll make sure to let you know as soon as we have more details.
What do you think of the new Android 13 easter egg? Which one of the fourteen emoji sets is your favorite? Let us know in the comments section below.

Via: 9to5Google

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
3.3 installed and rooted. No major issues so far.
Same and agreed. I feel as if they have also improved a few things that haven't been specifically mentioned in the changelog. For example, the gesture actions seem to be more responsive now and work quicker with a bit less touch input required.

Then again, I suppose the Connectivity Thermal Power Manager bug that was fixed in this update could have possibly caused this issue - but I feel as if what I had described was something that was noticeable on my phone for a loooong time...

*Edit* - Seems to be a new notification appearance as well. There is also a new Snapchat filter layout.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pixel 6 Pro [Raven] QPR Betas

QPR stands for "Quarterly Platform Release". Android 13 QPR3 went final in June 2023. See main thread here for final/non-beta releases.

From my Pixel 7 QPR Beta thread (and adjusting the OP with the same information):
    You can officially opt into the Android Beta Program there, or use the factory image or OTA below. You can no longer manually opt into the QPR3 Beta program - only the Android 14 Beta is offered to opt into:
    I'm only being allowed to Opt into the Android 14 beta program. I want to enroll in the Android 13 QPR Beta program instead. Any idea how?
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect that no one can opt into the QPR3 Beta program any longer.

Even Google's QPR3 Beta release page:
    which has a link:

and leads to:
    the Enroll in Android 13 Beta for Pixel button there still leads to:
    which only mentions Android 14 Beta.

So I think your only choice if you want to try QPR3 Beta is to have an unlocked bootloader and flash the factory image, or I think it's possible to sideload the OTA without unlocking the bootloader - but it's highly discouraged to try a Beta with a locked bootloader, as you'll be locked into the Beta program (via manual OTA sideloads) until it goes final, and you'll have no choice but to deal with the issues.

I don't plan on testing Betas of any sort, but feel free to use this thread for everything about the QPR Betas or major Android version betas for the Pixel 6 Pro. I'll update the information in the OP when necessary. See Post #1 in my main thread for general information (Unlocking Bootloader / Rooting / Updating | SafetyNet working again | ADB/Fastboot & Windows USB Drivers) but ask questions or make observations about all betas in this thread, please.

Once a QPR or major Android version goes final, I'll take those discussions to my main thread.
    Yet another Beta of 13, Beta 3.3:

Pixel 6 Proraven-tpb3.220617.002-factory-1acb43a3.zip1acb43a3d082b8d2cd16cba834c1b1de25042c5d5122483bbf54ff4a16682186

Android 13 Beta 3.3 (June 2022)
    Release date: June 27, 2022
    Build: TPB3.220617.002
    Emulator support: x86 (64-bit), ARM (v8-A)
    Security patch level: June 2022
    Google Play services: 22.21.16
    API diff:

If you’re already running a Developer Preview or Beta build, you will automatically receive an over-the-air (OTA) update to Beta 3.3.

This minor update to Android 13 Beta 3 includes stability and performance improvements as well as the following fixes:

• Fixed an issue where devices couldn't connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)

June 27, 2022 2:30pm Comment Skanda Hazarika

Google rolls out Android 13 Beta 3.3 with a bunch of bug fixes​

The beta branch of Android 13 just picked up a new bug-squashing update. Following in the footsteps of Android 13 Beta 3’s earlier incremental updates, this new release fixes a whole bunch of issues, including slow UI rendering, inability to connect to a Wi-Fi network, system UI crashes, and a few other problems.
    The build number of Android 13 Beta 3.3 is TPB3.220617.002. There is no change in the security patch level, though, hence it’s still June 2022 on this release. You can find the full list of published fixes in this update below:
    • Fixed an issue where devices couldn’t connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)
    Apart from the aforementioned bug fixes, the update also bumps the Google Play services version from 22.18.19 to 22.21.16.
    In case your Google Pixel device is already enrolled in the Android 13 beta program, you will automatically receive an over-the-air update to Beta 3.3. You can also download the full OTA or the factory image from the link below if you want to manually upgrade to the latest beta release.
    Download Android 13 Beta 3.3

Source: Android Beta Program on Reddit
    All, this is not a thread for opinions about the Pixel 6/Pro in general, nor is it a thread made for rants. Opinions specifically about Android 13 are fine. I know there have been a few posts that have nothing specific to do with Android 13 and I've let it go. If anyone wants to make posts that don't address anything specifically about Android 13, there are many, many threads in this section where that has taken place.

I know, because I used to read every post in this section but now I avoid the threads that contain those kinds of posts, and I'd like to not see them here in this thread. Any further posts of those types will be deleted as off-topic.
    I think Magisk removed the need to pass the vbmeta disable verity/verification flag with Canary 24303. Here's a quote related to a kernel issue from yujincheng08 (LoveSy):

"Let me clarify the things.
    Magisk was used to modify the fstab to inject Magisk components, and in the meantime, Magisk stipped avb_key and avb flags for all partitions. So, that 24300 works is just a side effect and has no insurance.
    Now Magisk changed its way of injecting Magisk components, and it will no longer modify the fstab, and the side effect was thus gone together with the refactorization. Some configurations that rely on the fact that Magisk will strip those verification flags will no longer work, and that's expected. Users should disable the verification themselves since they are expected to have unlocked bootloaders."

This all relates to problems with custom kernels and Magisk, but may have further implications for us. Check out more in the issue here..

Good spot. Seeing as how that's now intended behaviour, I guess wiping and disabling verification is all our best moves from here.

I'll take this moment to suggest investing in Swift Backup and setting up an automatic backup that runs periodically, so long as you have root it makes wiping pretty much a non-issue.
    New Pixel 6 modem included!

g5123b-102852-220609-b-8701566