Android 2.0 Developer preview available for Huawei Watch

Search This thread

Johan1976

Jul 12, 2011
I was happy with battery life on 1.5. Same result as you described. With same settings on 2.0 DP5 my battery is a joke ?

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

NeedleGames

Nov 22, 2014
github.com
Ok, now I understand why Huawei doesn't release the update.

The whole OS is half-baked. It's meant to be optimized for round watches, right? But it's not. Only the app drawer is. All the other google apps are still cut off or text is only in the middle - not form one side to another.
Apps refuse to download very often, Google Play crashed 12 times in the last hour. And in that time it used 52% of my battery. IN ONE HOUR!

The Google Play store is very limited, most apps are not fully compatible with 2.0 - watch faces do not use complications, Spotify doesn't let you listen on your device. Or listen to music at all - they still haven't fixed "Connection failed" problem.

All the apps that had pitch black background, you know, optimized for wearables, now have light gray background.

Now some apps' data doesn't sync with your phone. These are the apps that does not sync for me: all the "appfour" apps (Browser, photos, videos etc.), calculator (it's color), facer (all the watch faces). Apps that sync: Google Keep. Only 1 app does sync.

After first installing, I had to wait for half an hour on "Checking for updates" screen. Then I realized something was odd, so I googled this problem. Hundreds of other people who have installed this update were stuck on that screen, some even tried reflashing and it didn't help. BTW, if you are wondering, the solution is to clear cache and data on your Android Wear app on the phone.

Google Assistant doesn't talk back, it only has one language - English, and there is no way of disabling it.
Keyboard only works on Google apps - you still can't reply to facebook messages on your watch.

And don't get me started on gestures - swiping left previously used to open more information about the notification - now it dismisses it... Swiping right dismisses it as well... Notifications do not peak out from the bottom even if you set it to be fullscreen (you have 3 options - fullscreen notifications (doesn't work), no notifications or remove notifications after 5 second. So no cards preview). On the watchface swiping left would open app drawer - now it opens watch faces list so you could change it... No, not long pressing on it. Long press now means watch face settings (if the watchface has it). Swiping right on the watchface also opens watch faces list. Cooooooolll... This is what we all wanted... Holding power button opens drawer now. Seems a bit worse but what's the big deal you ask? Holding half a second too long opens Google assistant that you can not disable. Do you remember theater mode with two button presses? Now it's app drawer. Again.

I predict that to fix all these thing would take 6 more months unless you want this garbage OS.

The whole OS is half-baked. It's meant to be optimized for round watches, right? But it's not. Only the app drawer is. All the other google apps are still cut off or text is only in the middle - not form one side to another.
Apps refuse to download very often, Google Play crashed 12 times in the last hour. And in that time it used 52% of my battery. IN ONE HOUR!

The Google Play store is very limited, most apps are not fully compatible with 2.0 - watch faces do not use complications, Spotify doesn't let you listen on your device. Or listen to music at all - they still haven't fixed "Connection failed" problem.

All the apps that had pitch black background, you know, optimized for wearables, now have light gray background.

Now some apps' data doesn't sync with your phone. These are the apps that does not sync for me: all the "appfour" apps (Browser, photos, videos etc.), calculator (it's color), facer (all the watch faces). Apps that sync: Google Keep. Only 1 app does sync.

After first installing, I had to wait for half an hour on "Checking for updates" screen. Then I realized something was odd, so I googled this problem. Hundreds of other people who have installed this update were stuck on that screen, some even tried reflashing and it didn't help. BTW, if you are wondering, the solution is to clear cache and data on your Android Wear app on the phone.

Google Assistant doesn't talk back, it only has one language - English, and there is no way of disabling it.
Keyboard only works on Google apps - you still can't reply to facebook messages on your watch.

And don't get me started on gestures - swiping left previously used to open more information about the notification - now it dismisses it... Swiping right dismisses it as well... Notifications do not peak out from the bottom even if you set it to be fullscreen (you have 3 options - fullscreen notifications (doesn't work), no notifications or remove notifications after 5 second. So no cards preview). On the watchface swiping left would open app drawer - now it opens watch faces list so you could change it... No, not long pressing on it. Long press now means watch face settings (if the watchface has it). Swiping right on the watchface also opens watch faces list. Cooooooolll... This is what we all wanted... Holding power button opens drawer now. Seems a bit worse but what's the big deal you ask? Holding half a second too long opens Google assistant that you can not disable. Do you remember theater mode with two button presses? Now it's app drawer. Again.

I predict that to fix all these thing would take 6 more months unless you want this garbage OS.

This is the new look of AW in v2.0. But it is just DP5. I have it on one of my HW1 and I like it. It does take getting used to. If you think this is bad, you should've seen DP2 or DP3, DP5 is milestones ahead IMHO. I am getting the LG Watch Sport with official AW 2.0 and will report back. The HW1 hardware was not designed out of the box for AW 2.0 and I think it is why many people dislike it on the watch. It's a shame Huawei did take the HW1 and add the necessary hardware instead of downsizing the screen on the HW2 and making it a sports watch. I chose the LGWS over it for the screen size, having "older" eyes.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
You should correct your last statement to read
"I predict that to fix all these thing would take 6 more months unless I want this garbage OS."

not everybody has these issues. Of course it would be stupid of me continuing to use a garbage OS that had all these issues. But my watch is perfectly fine with the latest DP. I also realize that if there are problems with the DP that I signed up for problems and that I should report them - I surely hope you are doing that outside of this forum.

hope the problems with your watch will get solved soon.
cheers

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
no notifications with nougat phone

AW 2 DP 5
Droid Turbo 6.0
GS4 5.1
Nexus 5X 7.1

I installed 2.0 DP5 with my Droid Turbo (Marshmallow) and notifications worked fine. Unfortunately dropped the Turbo. Replaced it initially with an old Galaxy S4 (5.1); notifications worked fine.
I just got a Nexus 5X (7.1). Reset the watch, connected it to the 5X. I get no notifications (calendar, text).
- I enabled all permissions.
- The watch is connected. Contacts, agenda, Google Assistant work fine.
- Watchmaker works fine.
- I can send a text using Google Assistant.

Can anyone else confirm that notifications don't work on DP5 connected to a Nougat phone?

Also,

- Is there an AW messenger app?
DP5 doesn't come with one.

- What happened to Coffee?
I can't find it in the Play store

Pkt_Lnt

Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Can anyone else confirm that notifications don't work on DP5 connected to a Nougat phone?

Works for me just fine paired to a Nexus 6 7.1.1 Nougat.

You need to install apps on the watch using the Play Store on the watch. It will prompt for most apps already on the phone.
Both Google Messenger (phone number) and Hangouts (Google Voice number) work for me.

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Works for me just fine paired to a Nexus 6 7.1.1 Nougat.

You need to install apps on the watch using the Play Store on the watch. It will prompt for most apps already on the phone.
Both Google Messenger (phone number) and Hangouts (Google Voice number) work for me.

Yes, I known that. That's the other thing. I can't find certain apps on the watch's Play Store, such as Keep or Hangouts. Even though I have them installed on the phone. And I didn't get prompted to install them, even though they are on the phone.

I installed Messages on the watch, and now it's receiving text notifications. Looks like the DP needs the app to receive the notification.

Still not getting calendar notifications. I'm not sure what app to install to trigger those.

Pkt_Lnt

Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Yes, I known that. That's the other thing. I can't find certain apps on the watch's Play Store, such as Keep or Hangouts. Even though I have them installed on the phone. And I didn't get prompted to install them, even though they are on the phone.

I installed Messages on the watch, and now it's receiving text notifications. Looks like the DP needs the app to receive the notification.

Still not getting calendar notifications. I'm not sure what app to install to trigger those.

Yes, the big change with AW 2.0 is it can be entirely stand alone, with the new LTE watches coming out. (We will not see that of course.) That is why apps are installed from the watch Play Store. Some apps are not AW 2.0 compliant yet, hopefully the devs will catch up.

Something is wrong with your watch install. I have Hangouts and Keep on the Watch. There is also an Agenda app installed that notifies calendar events for me.

Are you aware there are two places to look in the watch Play Store for apps? Open it, pull down and the top center and left icons are where you check. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see all apps sometimes. Also check the Play Store setting too.

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 657
AW 2 DP 5
Droid Turbo 6.0
GS4 5.1
Nexus 5X 7.1

I installed 2.0 DP5 with my Droid Turbo (Marshmallow) and notifications worked fine. Unfortunately dropped the Turbo. Replaced it initially with an old Galaxy S4 (5.1); notifications worked fine.
I just got a Nexus 5X (7.1). Reset the watch, connected it to the 5X. I get no notifications (calendar, text).
- I enabled all permissions.
- The watch is connected. Contacts, agenda, Google Assistant work fine.
- Watchmaker works fine.
- I can send a text using Google Assistant.

Also,

- What happened to Coffee?
I can't find it in the Play store

Works on my Nexus 6P running 7.1.2 (beta}

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Regarding the notifications issue:

Thanx for all the feedback. I'll reset the watch (again) and see if it works. This time I'll manually format all partitions (not just a factory wipe) just to make sure.

ikenvape

Oct 5, 2010
East PA
Regarding the notifications issue:

Thanx for all the feedback. I'll reset the watch (again) and see if it works. This time I'll manually format all partitions (not just a factory wipe) just to make sure.

Actually you can install Android messenger via play on the watch. Fixed my issues. Just do a manual search from the watch.

Top Liked Posts