[Android 2.1+][03.10.2011][v3.2] Chainfire3D [ROOT][OpenGL ES 2.0+]

Search This thread

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
One of my favorite features was night mode. Would always use it and was great when I had to use it like say at the movies. Wish I could still but moved on to bigger and better phones.

Dj_Fex

Jul 8, 2012
Aachen
why are you testing it even!? :facepalm:
it cannot work correctly with Android 4+, because there where big changes in Android and the developer (Chainfire) stopped working on it for that reason

Dj_Fex

Jul 8, 2012
Aachen
probably yes
it could be done with xposed and without

it's just so, that there is noone who wants to do it...

but do you really need it on newer devices
I don't think so

btw. did you know that you can enforce Antialiasing in the developer settings of cyanogenmod by now?

(atleast on Kitkat/CM11 on my Galaxy S I9000)

of course Chainfire 3d had more options
but most of these options where made to optimize performance on old devices
but too small textures look crappy, not always make the game run smoother and sometimes cause errors (in the menu)

night mode and stuff like that can be replaced

my Samsung Galaxy S runs CM11 Mackay Rom and has such color settings inbuild into the settings app

and I don't know whether you can still write plugins to emulate a certain gpu type and whether that still matters

all in all: no one really needs it anymore

antialiasing and stuff has to be included into the game by the app developers

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
probably yes
it could be done with xposed and without

it's just so, that there is noone who wants to do it...

but do you really need it on newer devices
I don't think so

btw. did you know that you can enforce Antialiasing in the developer settings of cyanogenmod by now?

(atleast on Kitkat/CM11 on my Galaxy S I9000)

of course Chainfire 3d had more options
but most of these options where made to optimize performance on old devices
but too small textures look crappy, not always make the game run smoother and sometimes cause errors (in the menu)

night mode and stuff like that can be replaced

my Samsung Galaxy S runs CM11 Mackay Rom and has such color settings inbuild into the settings app

and I don't know whether you can still write plugins to emulate a certain gpu type and whether that still matters

all in all: no one really needs it anymore

antialiasing and stuff has to be included into the game by the app developers

Yes it would still be useful, plenty of "THD tegra only versions" That would run fine on my device with the tegra plugin.

Reactions: banderos101

banderos101

Dec 26, 2010
Yes it would still be useful, plenty of "THD tegra only versions" That would run fine on my device with the tegra plugin.

Official thread
"[APP] GLTools (graphics optimizer) 01/21/2014"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49978057

Oldish thread
"[APP][SHARE]GLTools:-Chainfire 3D Alternative for 4.1+"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2604723

Maybe, possibly, an alternative to Chainfire 3d, installed ok on my jellybean rom, but make nand backup just incase if anyone decides to give it a shot, and read up

Apparently issues with some samsung devices, installed on mine before reading this but luckily it seems not ALL samsung devices, knocks on wood

The proper way to unistall is to use a recovery to flash the zip that gets installed upon install of the app
edit: it looks like the playstore version has a uninstal option in app, dont know if the xda version has it, should do

The "official" thread has a free version, and there is a payed version on the playstore, if this project is something you want to support, assuming it does what you want, think about donating if you can, but free is good too :)

Last edited:

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
Official thread
"[APP] GLTools (graphics optimizer) 01/21/2014"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49978057

Oldish thread
"[APP][SHARE]GLTools:-Chainfire 3D Alternative for 4.1+"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2604723

Maybe, possibly, an alternative to Chainfire 3d, installed ok on my jellybean rom, but make nand backup just incase if anyone decides to give it a shot, and read up

Apparently issues with some samsung devices, installed on mine before reading this but luckily it seems not ALL samsung devices, knocks on wood

The proper way to unistall is to use a recovery to flash the zip that gets installed upon install of the app
edit: it looks like the playstore version has a uninstal option in app, dont know if the xda version has it, should do

The "official" thread has a free version, and there is a payed version on the playstore, if this project is something you want to support, assuming it does what you want, think about donating if you can, but free is good too :)

Thank you for the info, app looks good so far. It's a shame chainfire hasn't shown any interest in updating this app to work like this other one does.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Thank you for the info, app looks good so far. It's a shame chainfire hasn't shown any interest in updating this app to work like this other one does.

You have no idea whether or not I have any interest. In fact, I always have and still do.

The issue is that the method of hooking used by the old CF3D (and now GLTools, as I understand it) is extremely dangerous, and a massive cause of bootloops (as some of you have experienced) - that and that nightmode now had to work significantly different (but now covered with the new version of CF.lumen).

This didn't use to be a problem because OEMs didn't diverge much on their base drivers, so it wasn't difficult to write a single patch that worked on most devices, but around 3.x this became difficult and errorprone (also because no source for 3.x back then).

Building something like CF3D is not possible with Xposed (I wouldn't run that on my device anyway, as last I checked it breaks a lot of internal security measures in Android), though it might be possible with Substrate - and that is what I betted on over a year ago. However, both due to lack of time and Substrate not working on 4.4, I have not done anything.

By now I've given up on that approach as well, but I have since devised a new one, that might make CF3D properly possible again (at least 4.2+, maybe even 4.4+). However, now GLTools has just shown up and is slowly taking over the market, so I'm not sure I should even bother, as I personally have no use for CF3D outside of CF.lumen, so I'd be building it mostly for props and profit, neither of which really drive me.

Either way, statements such as that I've shown no interest or haven't done any work on this are quite frankly a **** move, you have no idea what I'm working on or thinking at any given moment.

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
You have no idea whether or not I have any interest. In fact, I always have and still do.

The issue is that the method of hooking used by the old CF3D (and now GLTools, as I understand it) is extremely dangerous, and a massive cause of bootloops (as some of you have experienced) - that and that nightmode now had to work significantly different (but now covered with the new version of CF.lumen).

This didn't use to be a problem because OEMs didn't diverge much on their base drivers, so it wasn't difficult to write a single patch that worked on most devices, but around 3.x this became difficult and errorprone (also because no source for 3.x back then).

Building something like CF3D is not possible with Xposed (I wouldn't run that on my device anyway, as last I checked it breaks a lot of internal security measures in Android), though it might be possible with Substrate - and that is what I betted on over a year ago. However, both due to lack of time and Substrate not working on 4.4, I have not done anything.

By now I've given up on that approach as well, but I have since devised a new one, that might make CF3D properly possible again (at least 4.2+, maybe even 4.4+). However, now GLTools has just shown up and is slowly taking over the market, so I'm not sure I should even bother, as I personally have no use for CF3D outside of CF.lumen, so I'd be building it mostly for props and profit, neither of which really drive me.

Either way, statements such as that I've shown no interest or haven't done any work on this are quite frankly a **** move, you have no idea what I'm working on or thinking at any given moment.

I never meant to offend, one can only assume that you haven't shown interest due to the lack of updates to the app and comments/posts on this thread. If you are done with the app then have a mod lock it. No need to get offended, I am a huge fan of the app and just wish it could have been updated. Nothing else, this is no personal attack on you or the app.

Once again, sorry it came out like that, please don't take my passion for the app as being a **** move.

ultimat3m3

Sep 26, 2012
even on my SGP+ (Broadcom GPU) give error my phone reboot every min after installing GLtool thou the app is awesome especially fake GPU... unistall thou untill it is stable still uding CF3D wish could have these features since it is 100% stable.

evildog1

May 2, 2012
hello. is chainfire 3d discontinued?

if so then remove the app from play store because many users having bootloop issue by chainfire 3d.

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I totally understand the lack of time.
I suspect that, unlike Qualcomm and etc, you might consider opening the source code if you do decide it's obsolete? I personally would really enjoy seeing just how you intercept the GL calls even if it is dangerous to the operating system. Have a 3d stereo device I'd like to change some stuff up on.

Tried the free version on my msm7627 with 4.4.3, the problem hits just after the library is loaded
W/SurfaceFlinger( 116): getting VSYNC period from fb HAL: 16666666
E/Adreno200-EGL( 116): <qeglDrvAPI_eglChooseConfig:757>: EGL_BAD_ATTRIBUTE
E/Adreno200-EGL( 116): <qeglDrvAPI_eglChooseConfig:757>: EGL_BAD_ATTRIBUTE
W/SurfaceFlinger( 116): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying a simpler query
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): EGL informations:
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): vendor : Android
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): version : 1.4 Android META-EGL
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): extensions: EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_ANDROID_presentation_time EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_lock_surface EGL_KHR_fence_sync EGL_ANDROID_image_native_buffer EGL_ANDROID_recordable
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): Client API: OpenGL_ES
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): EGLSurface: 5-6-5-0, config=0x1
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): OpenGL ES informations:
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): vendor : Qualcomm
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): renderer : Adreno (TM) 200 / Chainfire3D
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): version : OpenGL ES 2.0 2131267
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): extensions: GL_EXT_CHAINFIRE3D GL_IMG_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_AMD_compressed_ATC_texture GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_AMD_program_binary_Z400 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_texture_type_2_10_10_10_REV GL_NV_fence GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_fragment_precision_high GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_texture_3D GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_OES_vertex_type_10_10_10_2 GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_QCOM_alpha_test GL_QCOM_binning_control GL_QCOM_driver_control GL_QCOM_perfmon_global_mode GL_QCOM_extended_get GL_QCOM_extended_get2 GL_QCOM_tiled_rendering GL_QCOM_writeonly_rendering GL_AMD_compressed_3DC_texture
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 4096
I/SurfaceFlinger( 116): GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS = 4096
E/cutils-trace( 116): Error opening trace file: No such file or directory (2)
W/SurfaceFlinger( 116): power module not found
W/SurfaceFlinger( 116): power module not found
D/SurfaceFlinger( 116): Screen acquired, type=0 flinger=0x3d5450
I/Netd ( 176): Netd 1.0 starting
I/Netd ( 195): Netd 1.0 starting
I/Netd ( 210): Netd 1.0 starting
I/Netd ( 222): Netd 1.0 starting
I/Netd ( 237): Netd 1.0 starting
I/Netd ( 253): Netd 1.0 starting
I/Netd ( 265): Netd 1.0 starting
I/Netd ( 278): Netd 1.0 starting
and there it loops. Blank screen no bootanimation. But it loads ok up to there.
Nothing odd in dmesg at all.
I'm not expecting this log to matter, since you're short on time and motivation to extend this app right now, but had it ready to paste before looking in the thread. Figured I might as well post it.
As far as the money, I and others would contribute some. I'm cheap, but if you get tons of cheap people together and a few real contributors, it might be worth your time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    INSTALL ON HC/ICS/JB AT YOUR OWN PERIL ! - ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK ON THOSE

SGS2 USERS: Upgrading to KG1 (2.3.4) or newer ROM will fix additional graphics glitches, if you are running an older SGS2 ROM.

About
    Chainfire3D is an intermediary OpenGL driver. What does that mean? It means that Chainfire3D sits between your apps and the graphics drivers, and can intercept and/or change commands between the two. It has some built-in functions, and can be further extended with plugins to provide extra functionality.

Features
    - CF3D OpenGL driver

- NightMode (inspired by Jeff Sharkey, more info here)
    --- Handy shortcut to toggle on/off
    --- Supports red, green, blue, amber, salmon and custom (pro only) modes

- Global OpenGL manipulation
    --- Reduce texture size
    --- Reduce texture quality
    --- Unroll textures
    --- BGRA emulation
    --- Load plugins
    --- Replace shaders
    --- (Pro) Disable Chainfire3D detection
    --- (Pro) Dump all shaders
    --- (Pro) Force depth buffer size (EGL)
    --- (Pro) Force MSAA (MultiSample Anti-Aliasing) (EGL)

- (Pro) OpenGL manipulation on a per-app bases
    - (Pro) Fix market settings
    - (Pro) Manage installed plugins and shaders
    - (Pro) Backup and restore settings, plugins and shaders

A bit more detail about some features

NightMode
    NightMode reduces the number of colors on your screen, which on OLED screens saves a lot of battery. The various modes (especially red) are also great in low-light conditions, as they have less effect on your night-vision than a full-color screen

Generic note about textures
    The features below are only used if a texture format is supported. Natively Chainfire3D only supports raw textures, but these can be extended through plugins.

Reduce texture size
    This essentially cuts (supported) textures' resolution in half, which usually reduces memory use (4x) and improves performance, at the cost of slightly reducing texture quality. This is not compatible with all apps! For many 3D apps, this works, as the GPU stretches the graphics, but it does not work for many 2D apps.

Reduce texture quality
    This converts 32-bit textures to 16-bit textures, reducing memory use (2x). This will lower texture quality, but for many games the difference isn't even visible. Whether this is actually faster or slower depends on your hardware.

Unroll textures
    Converts non-32-bit textures to 32-bit. This should not influence texture quality, but it does use more memory. On some hardware this is faster than using 16-bit textures.

Disable BGRA emulation
    Some GPU's do not support BGRA - in this case, Chainfire3D emulates BGRA support. Developers may not expect this (i.e., hardcode features for a specific GPU) and it may cause issues. If red and blue appear swapped in-app or in-game, enable this feature, and see if it helps.

Disable Chainfire3D detection
    For compatibility reasons, Chainfire3D announces to applications that it is being used. Using this feature you can turn that off.

Depth buffer (per-app only)
    Some apps expect a certain depth buffer size. Without setting this, they may not run (at all). This feature should only be used if an app specifically requires it - there is a good chance apps will NOT run if you change this setting the wrong way.

MSAA (MultiSample Anti-Aliasing) (per-app only)
    Enabling MSAA drastically improves image quality at the cost of performance. Lines/edges become much smoother. Available options are automatic (the app decides), 4x, and 16x. Most apps don't enable MSAA themselves at all. The ARM Mali 400 MP (used in the SGS2) can even do 4xMSAA at no performance cost. Note that if your GPU does not support the level of MSAA requested, the app will likely not start at all.

Fix market settings
    Plugins may add support for various features not normally supported by your hardware. Market, however, only reports the functionality your hardware provides. Using this feature, Chainfire3D will adjust Market so it also shows apps that require the features provided by the plugins. This is not useful without the plugins :)

Backup and restore settings
    Backup and restore all app settings, plugins, shaders, etc to/from your SD card

Plugins / API
    At the moment, the Plugin API is rather limited, but it does allow for some rather interesting plugins like Tegra2 / PowerVR / ATI texture emulation (see the API docs a post below). The idea is to further improve Chainfire3D so Plugins can manipulate the entire OpenGL data stream.

Shaders
    From version v1.9, you can replace app's shaders with your own modified versions. See a few posts down for further details.

Pro version
    As outlined above, the Pro version adds a little bit of functionality. Purchasing it will support my efforts.

Pro version - warez
    Chainfire3D Pro is available from some warez sites, if you feel like ripping me off :) However I should warn you that none of those versions actually work as the real Pro version does.

Requirements
    - OpenGL ES 2.0 (every 1ghz+ phone has this)
    - SuperUser / Root
    - Writable /system (it will try to remount system as read/write when needed, but the changes need to stick between reboots)
    - S-OFF ?
    - Having root access from recovery is a big plus to solve problems if you run into them (run "/system/lib/cf3d_uninstall.sh" as root to remove the driver and restore the old one)

CF3D driver installation
    There is some risk involved, so you should have either root access in recovery, a CWM backup, or a firmware to flash handy. Nevertheless, the driver has been tested and found working on the following devices:

- HTC HD2
    - Samsung Galaxy S
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"
    - Samsung Galaxy S II
    - Samsung Epic 4G
    - Motorola Atrix 4G
    - Motorola Droid 2
    - LG Optimus 2X
    - Google Nexus S

It's likely to work on far more devices. So far nobody has reported a failed install, so that's good. Doesn't mean problems can't happen.

Download

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.cf3d

Market link (desktop): https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.cf3d

attachment.php

Note: If you were running the "CF3D :: NightMode" application earlier, you should uninstall it before installing this.
    OpenGL Configuration Guide

So how does one configure Chainfire3D the best way possible ? It is easy if you know what you are doing. By default, you want to enable as little as possible.

Basics
    As stated, you want to enable as little as possible to make apps work the way you want, as the more you enable, the more CPU Chainfire3D will use to do the work.

IMPORTANT #1: Simply enabling all the options is counterproductive, unless you know you need them all.

IMPORTANT #2: Enabling both "Reduce texture quality" and "Unroll textures" is quite a silly thing to do. Read their descriptions, and think about it for a minute :)

Both options are available because performance-wise, on some hardware one is better, while on other hardware the other is better.

IMPORTANT #3: "Reduce texture size" is NOT compatible with a LOT of apps. If you are seeing weird things, this setting is likely the problem.

(1) When starting out, you simply shouldn't enable anything. When running an app, and it doesn't work as expected, first go into the configuration and see if there is a plugin (only) you can use to make it work better.

(2) If there is no plugin or you are not satisfied with it, try the "Reduce texture quality" option to see if it improves performance. This is the most "compatible" option to use. Though texture memory use is cut in half, often you don't see a big difference (or any difference at all even) in the end-result being displayed on screen.

(3) Alternatively, try the "Unroll textures" option. Be sure to UNcheck the "Reduce texture quality" option when using this.

(4) As last resort, use the "Reduce texture size" option. While this option greatly reduces memory usage and can have an awesome speed improvement as result, it is NOT compatible with a LOT of apps.

(5) If performance is adequate, try enabling the MSAA feature to improve visual quality.

Specifics - Free version
    In the free version, you can only configure the "default" settings, so you'll likely be in the Chainfire3D configuration tool a lot. I strongly advise that when you are NOT using Chainfire3D for something specific, you disable all the options. This is better for system performance.

Specifics - Pro version
    In the pro version, I strongly advise disabling ALL the options under "default" settings, and ONLY use "per-app" configuration. This will greatly reduce the chance of conflicting settings between different apps, which does actually happen a lot ! It is also the best possible configuration you can have performance-wise.
    Plugins / API

Currently available plugins

There are currently no plugins available from my hand, but it appears somebody has compiled and released libGLEMU_NVIDIA, libGLEMU_QUALCOMM, and libGLEMU_POWERVR plugins. You may find them if you search for them :)

WARNING: I did not write, compile, or release these plugins, and thus I cannot vouch for their quality, or that they don't do anything evil to your device. You should also be aware that they may not be legal to use in your area.

Plugin installation
    Plugins are .so files called libGLEMU_xxxxx.so . They should be wrapped in a libGLEMU_xxxxx.zip file. Simply put this zip file on your /sdcard, and use the "Install Plugin" option in Chainfire3D.

API
    Attached is a zip file containing some information "by example" on how to build plugins. Read the README.TXT file!
    Shaders

About
    This might sound like voodoo to some of you, don't worry. Modern OpenGL bases apps and games run programs on the GPU (graphics card) to render the image on screen. These can be quite complicated, and they are not always compatible between different GPUs. Chainfire3D allows you to replace apps' built-in shaders with modified ones. This can potentially fix a number of issues with various apps.

Currently available shaders (ordered by release date)

SGS2 - Riptide GP - Modification by Chainfire. Disables Cube Mapping, makes the game playable

Desire HD - Riptide GP - Modification by scukoemo. Fixes rider lighting issues.

SGS2 - Backbreaker THD - Modification by Chainfire. Fixes error messages, does not fix actual display corruption

Desire HD - Riptide GP v1.1 - Modification by Pr0tEct0.

SGS2 - Riptide GP v1.1 - Modification by crypticc

Shader installation
    Shaders are .shader files called xxxxx_xxxxx.shader . They should be wrapped in a shaders_xxxxx.zip file. Simply put this zip file on your /sdcard, and use the "Install Shader" option in Chainfire3D. Be sure to force kill the app you are installing shaders for - that app needs to be restarted for the shaders to be applied. TIP: Going into the per-app settings for an app and changing any setting (and back) will kill the target app.
    Shaders - How to modify them (ADVANCED TECH USERS)

This post assumes you know a little bit about OpenGL and shaders. Not a lot, mind you, the shaders I modified I did with no prior knowledge of shaders.

Getting the original shaders
    Chainfire3D will automatically detect shaders that do not properly compile, and dump that shader to "/data/data/eu.chainfire.cf3d/files/shaders/processname_crc32.error_dump" and "...error_log". This will generate quite a bit of output in logcat, so you know it happens. In (for example) DDMS, filter on "Chainfire3D" to see only these messages.

The error_log file contains the error message from the GPU, while the error_dump contains the shader source code. (Note that there may be too many newlines).

If the shaders do compile, but they do not actually work (or link - watch logcat to see this happen), the shaders will NOT be automatically dumped. You have to dump them manually. You can do this by going into Chainfire3D per-app OpenGL configuration and enable the "Dump all shaders" option. Chainfire3D will now dump every shader the target app attempts to compile. The file name is the same, but it's extension is ".dump" instead of ".error_dump".

Modifying the shaders
    You can simply ADB pull the files out of the "/data/data/eu.chainfire.cf3d/files/shaders/" directory. Handy tip: if you do not specify a filename, ADB will pull the entire directory.

Now you can simply modify the shader files with a text editor. You may have to convert the files from unix-newline format to windows-newline format. Warning: See the limitations section, you also need to convert the files BACK to unix-newline format!

Testing the shaders
    Obviously, you will need to kill the target app first, then you can push the shaders back to the device at the same location. IMPORTANT: replacement shaders need to have the ".shader" extension, instead of ".dump" or ".error_dump". Keep the rest of the filename exactly the same. If you do this correctly, Chainfire3D will replace the apps' shader with the one you just put on the device.

To let Chainfire3D be able to use the shader, note that you must also chmod 666 the file on the device.

Packaging the shaders
    So you fixed issues with an app for a certain GPU by modifying a number of shaders. It'd be a shame if you kept it for yourself. Packaging them up is simple: just throw the ".shader" files in a ZIP file, and name the ZIP file as follows:

"shaders_device_targetapp_version.zip"

For example, the SGS2 shader fix for Riptide GP would be something like: "shaders_sgs2_riptide_gp_v1.zip"

Releasing the shaders
    Simply post a new post in this thread, attach the shaders (or put them on a file hosting site and link them), and put the details about this shader in that post. Then PM me that you released said shaders (with a link to the post) and I can add them to the list.

Limitations
    Please note the following shader limitations:

- Dumps are at most 64 KB. If the shader is larger, it will only be a partial dump
    - Shader replacements must be < 64 KB
    - Shader replacements must use unix-newlines
    - Shader replacements must have < 16384 lines
    - Each line in a shader replacement must be < 1024 characters