[Android 2.1+] Naked Browser Pro - Where no mobile browser has gone before

Search This thread

Syk69

May 5, 2012
Been using the free version since forever and finally bought the pro and its even better! Best browser on android! Was wondering if it could be possible to add an option to Google translate a webpage? Like add an option on the bottom menu where I press the translate button and it Google translates it? Thanks! :good:

Spl4tt

Done, thanks.

Just for curiosity, do you think Google will ever solve this?

I think is really stupid. No inverted view, no text reflow, browsing on kitkat is really annoying!

There isn't even a possibillity to add those features back with the xposed framework? That would be a solution for some of us atleast

Donation awaits the person who fixes textreflow and force zoom O.O

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
Hey aminaked,

Recently I flashed aosb rom 4.4.2 on my i9505.
Since then, it ruined a lot of stuff on nb.
I know that google implemented different things on kit kat that disable stuff like text reflow but I don't know if it's all related.

Examples:
1. Double tap to zoom.
It doesn't work like it was before.
It takes a few tries until it zoom, and it's not as slick as it was before.
2. Gestures at the bottom of the screen. I need to really swipe close to the edge.
Closer than before and it's not very convenient (sometimes I even touch my menu/back key by accident)
3. I often visit a local android forum.
Every thread has a little mark, that pressing it takes me to "first unread".
Now, when I press on that mark and try to open in background it takes me to this url
http://iandroid.co.il/forum/styles/STG-Mobile/imageset/icon_topic_newest.gif
When I open it regularly and not in background it's ok and takes to the thread.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
Hey aminaked,

Recently I flashed aosb rom 4.4.2 on my i9505.
Since then, it ruined a lot of stuff on nb.
I know that google implemented different things on kit kat that disable stuff like text reflow but I don't know if it's all related.

Examples:
1. Double tap to zoom.
It doesn't work like it was before.
It takes a few tries until it zoom, and it's not as slick as it was before.
2. Gestures at the bottom of the screen. I need to really swipe close to the edge.
Closer than before and it's not very convenient (sometimes I even touch my menu/back key by accident)
3. I often visit a local android forum.
Every thread has a little mark, that pressing it takes me to "first unread".
Now, when I press on that mark and try to open in background it takes me to this url
http://iandroid.co.il/forum/styles/STG-Mobile/imageset/icon_topic_newest.gif
When I open it regularly and not in background it's ok and takes to the thread.

Thanks.

@aminaked ,
I wanted to try a clean install from play store, and see if it'll fix what I mentioned above.
I uninstalled the app, but when I tried to download it didn't recognize that I purchased it before.
Had to restore my backup thorough TB.
Btw, tried other browsers like Firefox and lightning. Didn't test everything but double tap to zoom worked much better.
Any help with my 2 posts will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

android404

Jan 19, 2013
Aminaked,
I wanted to try a clean install from play store, and see if it'll fix what I mentioned above.
I uninstalled the app, but when I tried to download it didn't recognize that I purchased it before.
Had to restore my backup thorough TB.
Btw, tried other browsers like Firefox and lightning. Didn't test everything but double tap to zoom worked much better.
Any help with my 2 posts will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You have to quote or mention him to get him to see you. But I too can tell you that your issues are due to googles changes.

About the purchase: detach and reattach nb from and to Google play using TB.

Reactions: gabi11

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
You have to quote or mention him to get him to see you. But I too can tell you that your issues are due to googles changes.

Right, I know that obviously he follows this thread but you are right :)

About TB :thumbup:
I'll try it.

Thanks!

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011

Well, about the purchase it didn't help.
I attached and detached from market.
Uninstalled it.
Went to play store- it only showed me the option to purchase it....

android404

Jan 19, 2013
Well, about the purchase it didn't help.
I attached and detached from market.
Uninstalled it.
Went to play store- it only showed me the option to purchase it....

Strange. But it's definitely something on your side. No offence, but... You're aware there's both a free and a paid version of naked browser?

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
Strange. But it's definitely something on your side. No offence, but... You're aware there's both a free and a paid version of naked browser?

I wanted to say non offence taken, but I couldn't help it and took just a little ;).

Yeah, I know about the 2 versions.
Btw, I checked other apps that I purchased before and they appear as purchased.

Wait! As I write this post I tried and uninstalled it through android settings instead of through TB, and it worked!
Nb appears as purchased.

But still, the performance of the app is not as it was. Still acts as I mentioned before :(

Thanks anyway mate :thumbup:

android404

Jan 19, 2013
I wanted to say non offence taken, but I couldn't help it and took just a little ;).

Yeah, I know about the 2 versions.
Btw, I checked other apps that I purchased before and they appear as purchased.

Wait! As I write this post I tried and uninstalled it through android settings instead of through TB, and it worked!
Nb appears as purchased.

But still, the performance of the app is not as it was. Still acts as I mentioned before :(

Thanks anyway mate :thumbup:

The issues are Googles fault.

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
Been having some double tap to zoom issues on kitkat since it doesn't work for some reason, not sure if it has been mentioned but it is annoying and I hope it gets fixed soon.

Did You check it on other browsers?
I tried and on firefox and lightning it works ok...

killoid

Feb 5, 2013
@aminaked when downloading a file using it's download manager,it shows always 0% even if it is downloading. using galaxy y duos gt-s6102,stock gb 2.3.6.

nooktablet

Mar 30, 2012
Can you please add a button to enable/disable (switch on off) the Text auto-size feature at a easily accessible place, like the url bar, next to the Home button.

The reason for this is because for some sites, the text looks better and easier to read (bigger) with Text auto-size turned on and Text size more than 100%, however, some sites with this feature turned on will look small like the site's author intended it to be (the Text size setting is ignored) and vice versa.

[Text auto-size refers to the new feature you introduced for KitKat users recently]
[Text size refers to the % text size setting that has been implemented since day one]
[This problem only affects KitKat users since there's no Text auto-size feature in older Android versions]

Examples (Setting Text size is 115%):

Text auto-size TURNED OFF:

Wikipedia (Mobile site) (GOOD - bigger font size according to text size 115% setting)

GZFNPLY.png

Knowyourmobile (Desktop site) (BAD - although text size 115% applied, font size still small)

dFGemtr.png

Text auto-size TURNED ON:

Wikipedia (Mobile) (BAD - text auto-size feature turned on makes text size 115% setting useless)

7zXcVQj.png

Knowyourmobile (Desktop site) (GOOD - text auto-size feature turned on works well)

DopJIhu.png

In conclusion, the text auto-size feature conflicts with the text size % feature. When both features are used, the text auto-size feature mostly shows its usefulness on Desktop version of websites and makes the text size % feature useless on Mobile version of websites.

Since there's probably no perfect solution for this and there's a lot of websites out there that only have a Desktop version with no Mobile version, I think it's best to put a Text auto-size ON OFF switch somewhere handy, like the URL bar as I mentioned. My temporary solution is going to Settings every time to turn this on and off (also i know i said this before but please add an option to make the URL bar always visible)

- In addition to the problem above, for some reason the Instapaper Text Bookmarklet (scroll down to Instapaper Text bookmarklet section) does not work in Naked Browser, but works perfectly when I tested it in Chrome. I hope you'll get this fixed as well.

Sorry for making you read this lengthy post :D
Thanks.

Last edited:

skaface

Apr 29, 2013
- In addition to the problem above, for some reason the Instapaper Text Bookmarklet (scroll down to Instapaper Text bookmarklet section) does not work in Naked Browser, but works perfectly when I tested it in Chrome.

Does the bookmarklet work if you don't call it from the bookmarks sidebar but from the homepage with the bookmarks (Naked browsers default start page)?
If so it's a bug (or not...) I've recently reported to animaked via mail. I know that calling a bookmarklet from the bookmarks homepage doesn't make a lot of sense but I recognized that some of my bookmarklets still work from there while they are not working from the bookmarks sidebar anymore for some time...

Here's what animaked came up with:

The bookmarklet I've sent him used replacements for some special characters (e.g. a blank ' ' was replaced with %20, ...). According to him that's not valid javascript and the script actually started to work again as soon as I edited the bookmarklet accordingly.

So the original instagram bookmarklet looks like this:

Code:
javascript:function%20iptxt(){var%20d=document;try{if(!d.body)throw(0);window.location='http://www.instapaper.com/text?u='+encodeURIComponent(d.location.href);}catch(e){alert('Please%20wait%20until%20the%20page%20has%20loaded.');}}iptxt();void(0)

The following reworked version should work again in NB Pro (not tested...):

Code:
javascript:function iptxt(){var d=document;try{if(!d.body)throw(0);window.location='http://www.instapaper.com/text?u='+encodeURIComponent(d.location.href);}catch(e){alert('Please wait until the page has loaded.');}}iptxt();void(0)

I'm not quite sure if this is actually a bug in NB Pro or not. Animaked states that the original code (with %20s) is no valid javascript but on the other side those bookmarklets used to work in NB Pro and still work if called from the bookmarks page and in many other browsers (Mobile chrome, desktop browsers like Firefox, Chrome, ...).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TRY THE FREE VERSION OF THIS WEB BROWSER
    If you are not familiar with the free version of Naked Browser then please see this thread on XDA Developers. Please try the free version first before you even consider Naked Browser Pro.

WHAT'S NEW RIGHT NOW?
    Naked Browser Pro is the paid version and the plan is to add many cool features in the coming weeks and months. Differences between the Pro and free versions include whitelists (JavaScript, cookies, user agent, images, geolocation), gestures, action customizations (link long press, double tap, tab close method), screenshots, and quite a lot more. See http://nakedbrowser.com/pro/ for help and how to import bookmarks from the free version. See the Play Store listing or change logs in this thread for what else is new.

PRETTINESS / UGLINESS OF THE USER INTERFACE
    Currently, the look of the user interface of this app is a low priority. Why? There are too many other cool features which I want to implement first. I am a solo developer so I have limited resources and I must prioritize. Having to deal with graphics as I change underlying code is a waste of resources.

NEW PERMISSIONS / YOUR PRIVACY
    A main goal of the free version was to limit the permissions required. That limit has been removed in order to add all kinds of new features. However, just like the free version, Naked Browser Pro will never spy or monitor you in any way. The primary motivation of Naked Browser has always been to provide a web browser for Android that is trustworthy.

THANK YOU
    I appreciate your feedback and support so thank you very much. The positive comments keep me motivated and the negative ones are helpful too, as long as they are backed up with specific details in order to help development.
    NEW FIRST VERSION in the Google Play Store: 1.0 build 1

CHANGE LOG
    • bookmarks import from free version of app via Data options > Import bookmarks *
    • cookie whitelist enabled when you turn on Data options > Cookies clear on exit **
    • accept URLs to view via near field communication (NFC). Let me know as I was unable to test this.
    • see open tabs list via long pressing new tab "+" menu
    • UI tweaks ***
    • Adobe Flash can be set to "always on" (not recommended) ****
    * From the free version go options > Data options > Export bookmarks. Then, in Naked Browser Pro go options > Data options > Import bookmarks. I plan to add more bookmarks import options and hopefully syncing in the future.
    ** Enable this feature by enabling the clear cookies on exit option. When you visit a site like xda-developers.com and you want to keep cookies (stay logged in) you simply touch the cookie icon on the browser's bottom menu. Then, when you exit the browser all cookies will be cleared except those from the sites you have approved.
    *** "more" menu is part of bottom menu and the top part scrolls left/right, bottom menu labels removed, new and higher resolution app icon, app icon label now "Browser NBPro".
    **** People asked for this so they got it. Hey, it's the Pro version. Adobe Flash causes many crashes, uses lots of resources, and is used by companies to track you. I say leave it "on demand" or "off"!

Thanks again XDA Developers!!!
    NEW VERSION in the Google Play Store: 1.0 build 7

CHANGE LOG
    • temporarily showing images no long requires page reload in most cases **
    • options and downloads views Holo themed, newer devices only
    • force enable zoom on web sites that attempt to limit zooming, newer devices only ***
    • minor UI tweaks (user agent rule menu is now multiple choice)
    * Since the previous update I've been trying out "images only over WIFI", but now I am thinking of setting it to OFF ALL THE TIME! :cool: <--blind guy? Pages load so fast...and with the new image whitelist feature (so far just whitelisted google and imgur)...I think I'm starting to really like this browser!:laugh:

** This just makes turning off images that much easier to take. If you want to temporarily display images for a site, use the image button on the bottom menu. In some cases--some sites, on some (older?) devices--a page reload is needed, but usually works without reload.

*** This disables the Apple meta tag that tells the browser to not allow zoom on some pages. :eek: <--great idea, Steve. I was even able to make this work on older devices but the overhead required just didn't seem worth it. I could make it an option.

As always, thank you for the feedback XDA Developers! :good:
    NEW VERSION in the Google Play Store: 1.0 build 13

CHANGE LOG
    • efficiency: if link long press action set to open background tab, swipe left or right after opening switches to new tab ****
    • crash fix: in certain cases non-ASCII characters in URLs would cause a crash. Thanks XDA member gabi11 for reporting this.
    • fixed blurred text in options views due to bug on some Sony devices. Thanks Jeremy W. (XDA member?) for reporting/testing.
    • bug fix: links from intents, like links to Play Store apps, would not open in proper tab in some cases
    • new/edit bookmark group dialog restricts to one line of text (previously, could press enter in text field which would add a space )
    • small speed optimization to app launch
    **** This is a straightforward yet exciting new feature:laugh: that you should try. If you set the "Link long press" action to "open in new tab" it will open the link in a new background tab. Now with this update if you keep your finger pressed down and swipe left or right after the tab opens, that tab is brought to the front. If you are like me:cyclops:, you often open links in background tabs but sometimes you like to view the tab immediately. Now you can do this by swiping after the tab opens. A first for mobile browsers...or any browser? Remember that you can still view the context menu for a link by displaying the browser's bottom menu before you long press the link. This is all much more complicated to describe than it is to use.

:good:Thank you XDA Developers!!!:good:
    NEW VERSION in the Google Play Store: 1.0 build 16

CHANGE LOG
    • new option: geolocation lets web sites ask if you will share your location *
    • block resources with .nbhosts.txt file in download directory, newer Android versions only **
    • bug fix: turning off "Data options > Passwords saved" now deletes all saved passwords
    • web search intents (like searches from other apps) now always open a new tab
    • small speed optimizations to page loads, bookmarks/history/suggestions/dowloads list generation
    • fixed an odd/rare crash
    • reduced possibility of back button making history skip too far back ***
    • long press device search button does voice search, if system allows
    * Off by default. When enabled, each site interested in your location will ask permission. You can allow/deny temporarily or the browser can remember your decision. If you change your mind, use the new map button that will appear on the bottom menu to choose a different geolocation rule for the site.
    ** This works on Android versions after Gingerbread. In your download folder put a file named .nbhosts.txt (the first character in the file name is a dot). When Naked Browser Pro is launched, it will load each line of this file to filter out any resources where the URL contains a match (case insensitive). This can be used to block ads and malware. Google "etc host adblock" for examples like this list. Too many filters can actually slow down page loads, although several thousand are probably OK. To temporarily bypass the filters and load the page allowing all blocked content, long press the bottom menu "reload" button.
    *** May also fix Samsung multi-window issue with device back button, although I was unable to test it.

Thank you for your help and support! Please let me know if you have questions about the new hosts filter or anything else.