[Android 2.2+] Thumb Keyboard

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht

Introducing Thumb Keyboard for Phone and Tablet.

A keyboard for comfortable thumb-typing on a phone or tablet. And ... a full featured regular keybord

The keyboard is optimized for thumb typing on phone screens (small & large) and 5", 7" and 10" tablet displays. It also contains a full featured regular keyboard.

Some features:
  • Text prediction and auto-correction (currently 5 languages, more languages to come as separate downloadable packages)
  • User Dictionary
  • 8 prefefined keyboard layouts to choose from, including a regular layout.
  • The coolest themes you've ever seen for an Android keyboard
  • Phone thumb layout has 1.25 wider keys than a standard Layout. Less typos guaranteed.
  • or define your own layout combination for portrait and landscape mode
  • International keyboards (QWERZ and AZERTY, more to come) with accented letter support.
  • Highly adjustable
  • Cursor and number keys on the main keyboard.
  • etc..

For screenshots and a up to date feature list please visit app page on the Android Webstore) or the product page Beansoft.com

Reviews
Collected here

Some quotes:
"Everything the Stock Android keyboard should be" (Gizmo Ninja)

"Thumb Keyboard makes two handed typing a breeze" (Android Police)

"Thumb Keyboard – The First Universally Functional Keyboard" (Android Guys)

Availability

Thumb Keyboard is available on the following markets:

Bond's new secret weapon :D

Last edited:

ResonanceZero

Nov 19, 2010
Wishlist: the ability to change the time required for a long press. The default is set about twice as long as I like it.

Bug: The caps lock entry triggers as long as long as the shift key is pressed twice within a fairly long period, whether or not any other keys are pressed in between. The result is that typing two capital letters quickly results in an accidental caps lock afterwards. Caps lock should only trigger if the shift key is tapped twice in a row.

Thanks!

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Wishlist: the ability to change the time required for a long press. The default is set about twice as long as I like it.
Great idea to make the long press variable. Have to look if this is possible (should be)

Bug: The caps lock entry triggers as long as long as the shift key is pressed twice within a fairly long period, whether or not any other keys are pressed in between. The result is that typing two capital letters quickly results in an accidental caps lock afterwards. Caps lock should only trigger if the shift key is tapped twice in a row.

Thanks!
Never thought about the scenario you described. You must type awefully fast with this keyboard :D But thanks for noticing this. I either will change the way the caps log is activated or make the time between the two taps user configurable (have to work on the shift key anyway when I'm going to implement multitouch)

Great feedback. Thanks!

PhilDX

Oct 17, 2010
NJ
i dunno if it's obvious to everyone else, but even the "standard phone" keyboard layout has ARROW keys in the bottom row of the keyboard. i found this accidentally since i didn't see it shown in any of the screenshots.

i find that it's much easier to edit text using arrow keys than the "magnifying glass" on my Droid X. you can adjust the height of the arrow key row (and the spacebar key row) independently of the regular keys too. truly awesome keyboard!

titanftld

Jan 5, 2011
Hello, I downloaded the paid version onto a non-rooted G-Tablet and while the new keyboard shows up in the keyboard select menu in settings, when I click on it nothing happens and when I long press on an application keyboard area only the TapNTap keyboard is available the Thumb keyboard is not listed. Any ideas or suggestions? I love the keyboard!

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Hello, I downloaded the paid version onto a non-rooted G-Tablet and while the new keyboard shows up in the keyboard select menu in settings, when I click on it nothing happens and when I long press on an application keyboard area only the TapNTap keyboard is available the Thumb keyboard is not listed. Any ideas or suggestions? I love the keyboard!
Sorry I don't know exactly how the gtab is handling third party keyboards. I believe, but I'm not sure, that you have to copy the apk to the system/app directory like it is done on the Nook Color. Check the gtab forums how one can install a third party keyboard.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
i dunno if it's obvious to everyone else, but even the "standard phone" keyboard layout has ARROW keys in the bottom row of the keyboard. i found this accidentally since i didn't see it shown in any of the screenshots.

i find that it's much easier to edit text using arrow keys than the "magnifying glass" on my Droid X. you can adjust the height of the arrow key row (and the spacebar key row) independently of the regular keys too. truly awesome keyboard!
Thanks!

Sadly I learned today that SwiftKey also copied this function in their new beta. At exact the same way (including the option to hide the keys)

The situation is becoming unworkable. First they copied the tablet layout and now this. I'm currently finding myself asking if I can add other innovations I had in mind.

A shame for such a big moneymaker. They just ruin the market. This really sucks!! I wrote them a letter asking to solve this in a fair way, because I just feel paralized when it comes to adding new functions.

Last edited:

PhilDX

Oct 17, 2010
NJ
Sadly I learned today that SwiftKey also copied this function in their new beta. At exact the same way (including the option to hide the keys)

The situation is becoming unworkable. First they copied the tablet layout and now this. I'm currently finding myself asking if I can add other innovations I had in mind.

A shame for such a big moneymaker. They just ruin the market. This really sucks!! I wrote them a letter asking to solve this in a fair way, because I just feel paralized when it comes to adding new functions.

yes, there are numerous examples of this behavior in the Market and i agree it is a real problem. Google needs to address this or it will result in stifled innovation and reduced quality of applications available for android. real innovation is hard work - why should a developer be motivated to create new and exciting applications when anyone else can replicate the idea without consequence?

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
yes, there are numerous examples of this behavior in the Market and i agree it is a real problem. Google needs to address this or it will result in stifled innovation and reduced quality of applications available for android. real innovation is hard work - why should a developer be motivated to create new and exciting applications when anyone else can replicate the idea without consequence?
It's the free market. It can drive companies to excel. In the end this seems only theoretical. What I learn is that marketing is a much better investment in such a market. That's the weird tragedy of the western free market.

codybear

Nov 16, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
I'm not quite sure about the GTab, but I know when I install a keyboard I sometimes have to go into
Menu > Settings > Language & Keyboard
and then click the check box, then go to an application where I can type and do the long press to switch the standard keyboard over to the one I would like.

Hope that may be able to help you out. If not, and you figure it out, please don't hesitate to post your solution for anyone else that may encounter this problem.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Update (v 3.0)

• Voice Input added for Android 2.2+ (currently only English supported)
  • new Spanish keyboard layout + dictionary
  • new German keyboard layout
  • shortcut for dictionary switching added
  • new Digital Red theme
  • popup with tld shortcuts on .com key
  • + some general maintenance

Much more to come :)

PhilDX

Oct 17, 2010
NJ
V3.01 on Droid X with stock Android 2.2.1: has anyone else noticed a bit of a delay in the cursor movement when pressing the arrow keys in LANDSCAPE mode? i notice this when using Table Layout in landscape mode (5" and 7") but not when using any of the layouts in PORTRAIT mode. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling but saw no improvement. just curious if it's just me...

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
V3.01 on Droid X with stock Android 2.2.1: has anyone else noticed a bit of a delay in the cursor movement when pressing the arrow keys in LANDSCAPE mode? i notice this when using Table Layout in landscape mode (5" and 7") but not when using any of the layouts in PORTRAIT mode. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling but saw no improvement. just curious if it's just me...
As far as I can see, there's nothing changed in the update that could influence this behavior. Have you tried to reboot the device? I think it's a temporary memory problem.