[Android 4.0+, ROOT] AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

Search This thread

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
I miss being able to do more than just bluetooth with my AppRadio 3. What's the best piece of hardware to buy to use for media and navigation with it these days?
About every year I get a TV box for testing. The one I got last year is this one: 'Android 9.0 TV Box A95X F2 4GB 64GB Amlogic S905X3'. It comes pre-rooted and it works with the app. It's a little less than 40 Euros. The previous year I got a 'Mecool M8S PRO Amlogic S912 3GB 32GB' it's slightly outdated but that's the one I am still using now.

About every year I get a TV box for testing. The one I got last year is this one: 'Android 9.0 TV Box A95X F2 4GB 64GB Amlogic S905X3'. It comes pre-rooted and it works with the app. It's a little less than 40 Euros. The previous year I got a 'Mecool M8S PRO Amlogic S912 3GB 32GB' it's slightly outdated but that's the one I am still using now.

If you are using waze or other navigation app with those TV boxes, is the mock location works fine?
I assume there is not GPS chip in TV boxes

trycatch

Aug 15, 2007
Hi @area51,
i am long time user of your arunchained reloaded, i must say its great. i used it without problems for years;
but now i changed my device to beelink gtking (amlogic x922 chipset) and have a problem:(
diagnose give me no error, everything is ok;
when i start aru everything is ok, and then it says connected to app radio 120 xxx; no problem;

but no touch input and no keys;
when i logcat i think i see the problem but why ?

any thing i can do for it ?
thanks any way...

i have full logcat and can send it yo you or upload somewhere if necessary.

logcat info:
05-21 18:09:54.274 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - ai: getARUPreferences: AX: -11.956162, BX: 0.03928867, AY: -7.3555555, BY: 0.022222223
05-21 18:09:54.275 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - w: Opening InputHandler
05-21 18:09:54.276 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - w: Detected screen size - Width: 1280 Height: 720
05-21 18:09:54.316 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedInput: Opening input device...
05-21 18:09:54.316 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedsuInput: Step 1 failed
05-21 18:09:54.316 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedInput: Cannot open device - 'Generic'
05-21 18:09:54.316 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - w: TouchMode = 1
05-21 18:09:54.335 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - a: Run BluetoothSession constructor. mHandler = Handler (mars.area51.arunchained.unchainedservice.n) {5db23a8}
05-21 18:09:54.336 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - a: registerBluetoothReceiver done
05-21 18:09:54.338 4917 4917 W Notification: Use of stream types is deprecated for operations other than volume control
05-21 18:09:54.338 4917 4917 W Notification: See the documentation of setSound() for what to use instead with android.media.AudioAttributes to qualify your playback use case
05-21 18:09:54.339 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - CommService: Starting Comm Service
05-21 18:09:54.340 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - ai: Version: 0.39
05-21 18:09:54.340 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - CommService: startId: 1
05-21 18:09:54.340 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - CommService: Starting options:
05-21 18:09:54.340 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - a: start
05-21 18:09:54.343 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedReloaded - a: AcceptThread() called

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Last edited:

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
05-21 18:09:54.316 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedInput: Opening input device...
05-21 18:09:54.316 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedsuInput: Step 1 failed
05-21 18:09:54.316 4917 4917 D ARUnchainedInput: Cannot open device - 'Generic'
Can you check that a file called 'Generic.kl' exists on your system?
It should be in one of the following directories:
"/dev/uinput",
"/android/dev/uinput",
"/dev/input/uinput",
"/dev/misc/uinput"

trycatch

Aug 15, 2007
PHP:
Can you check that a file called 'Generic.kl' exists on your system?
It should be in one of the following directories:
"/dev/uinput",
"/android/dev/uinput",
"/dev/input/uinput",
"/dev/misc/uinput"

Hi again @area51,
there is /dev/uinput device;

but "getevent /dev/uinput" returned error like this?
could not get driver version for /dev/uinput, Invalid argument

Generic.kl is in /system/usr/keylayout folder.

i move app to /system/priv-app, but no help :(

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
PHP:

Hi again @area51,
there is /dev/uinput device;

but "getevent /dev/uinput" returned error like this?
could not get driver version for /dev/uinput, Invalid argument

Generic.kl is in /system/usr/keylayout folder.

i move app to /system/priv-app, but no help :(
Hmm, yeah I was a bit confused. It was ages ago since I looked at this because it always works. Anyway, what I suspect is that your device doesn't have uinput properly implemented since the first call to open it fails. Are you using the official ROM or a custom one?

trycatch

Aug 15, 2007
Hmm, yeah I was a bit confused. It was ages ago since I looked at this because it always works. Anyway, what I suspect is that your device doesn't have uinput properly implemented since the first call to open it fails. Are you using the official ROM or a custom one?
Hi, its custom rom but i tried with offical rom too, same proble :(
rom is downloaded from here:
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv...-king-alvatech-standard-android-9-0-pie-s922x

I think this can be solve by some rom config because;
with same software configuration, i try and try and try; 2 or 3 time it was full forking, but after power off, no working again?
and i could nt understand what makes it work? and then not work...

thankss any way.

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
I think this can be solve by some rom config because;
with same software configuration, i try and try and try; 2 or 3 time it was full forking, but after power off, no working again?
and i could nt understand what makes it work? and then not work...

thankss any way.
Well that's even more weird. I know in the past there were some original roms where a few driver files required for uinput were missing. It could be fixed by adding those driver files.
Your case where it sometimes works can be explained by that as it would then never work. Maybe in some cases not all drivers are loaded properly?
I think it's uinput.ko.

LowriderA

Jul 15, 2020
Hello!
I heve Xiaomi Redmi Note4x and Google Chromecast2 + AVH-X8500BT.
It works fine.
I tried a lot of different firmware. I want to choose the firmware in which auto-connect works.
Now I on LineageOS 16 Official (Android 9). It is a clear Android(almost). Auto turn on Mobile Hotspot not work,
the settings window remains open, and does not proceed to connect to Chromecast.

Can you add the ability to turn on/off the "auto turn on Mobile Hotspot" in Screencast settings. I will do it manual.

Thanks for the app.

Hesster

Mar 1, 2011
Using ARUR with a Screenbeam mini Miracast dongle. I've upgraded my phone and the new phone doesn't have root. Instead of switching to the rootless version I thought I'd install a stick or TV box that will stay in the car. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter so I'd rather avoid anything that has an internal battery. The last time I tried using an old phone the battery swelled up and it didn't end well. Looked at rugged devices but none of the ones I've found that can handle those temps have root or Miracast support.

I need a TV box or stick that can be converted to run the mobile version of Android or at least a mobile-like interface with widget and touch screen support, notification bar, launcher, ect. Does such a thing exist?

<>sharpest

Sep 18, 2020
purchase advice please

hello,

I have been reading various forums about all of the appradio unchained offerings. I bought a used appradio 2 about 3 years ago and finally got around to installing it last weekend.

I am hoping to use my phone as a hotspot to provide internet to some android stick.

my daily phone is a note 9, I have access to a Samsung S5 and a Samsung note 3 that are gathering dust.

I plan to continue reading how to set everything up, but I would really appreciate a Jumpstart on purchasing the correct android stick. these forums span years and mention many different products.

Can anyone recommend a tried and true android stick that won't let me down?

and for what I describe trying to do, should I buy appradio unchained reloaded, rootless, something else?

I want to have access to YouTube, Google maps, Google voice (my primary phone#), and all the other apps I can put on the stick.

this forum is amazing and all of the developers are also. it seems like I could still get impressive results out of this pretty old radio if I get the correct supplies in order.

thank you all so much!

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
There's a guy called Chigz Tech Reviews that keep a list of TV box review scores see here: TOP ANDROID TV BOX CHART OF 2020
From that if follows that the Amlogic S905 X3 still gives the best price performance.

Last year I got this one for testing: 'Android 9.0 TV Box A95X F2 4GB 64GB Amlogic S905X3'. It comes pre-rooted and it works with the app. It's a little less than 40 Euros.
Pre-rooted is a big pro as some are difficult to root. Also root gives the best touch experience because you can use Reloaded. I tested that the app works on this device. However I didn't do any other testing.

In my fun car (not my daily driver) I am still using the one I got about 2 years ago: a 'Mecool M8S PRO Amlogic S912 3GB 32GB'.
All I did on that one was to replace the stock launcher and set a different DPI as by default everything shows way too small on a 7 inch screen.
I installed Reloaded, Tomtom Go for navigation and my favorite music player. Also configured it to use the hotspot on my phone to get internet access. It all works well enough for me. A disadvantage is of course is that you have to wait for the box to boot every time you start the car. This takes 30-40 seconds.
I now power the box from the head unit directly. Things could be improved by powering it from the 12V from the car combined with some kind of timer that would allow the box to run for a few hours and then powers it down. This would then allow for shorter stops without having to wait for the device to boot. However I haven't found a suitable circuit and never find enough time to design one myself.

Last edited:

<>sharpest

Sep 18, 2020
There's a guy called Chigz Tech Reviews that keep a list of TV box review scores see here: [had to delete this link in order to reply because I am a new user]
From that if follows that the Amlogic S905 X3 still gives the best price performance.

Last year I got this one for testing: 'Android 9.0 TV Box A95X F2 4GB 64GB Amlogic S905X3'. It comes pre-rooted and it works with the app. It's a little less than 40 Euros.
Pre-rooted is a big pro as some are difficult to root. Also root gives the best touch experience because you can use Reloaded. I tested that the app works on this device. However I didn't do any other testing.

In my fun car (not my daily driver) I am still using the one I got about 2 years ago: a 'Mecool M8S PRO Amlogic S912 3GB 32GB'.
All I did on that one was to replace the stock launcher and set a different DPI as by default everything shows way too small on a 7 inch screen.
I installed Reloaded, Tomtom Go for navigation and my favorite music player. Also configured it to use the hotspot on my phone to get internet access. It all works well enough for me. A disadvantage is of course is that you have to wait for the box to boot every time you start the car. This takes 30-40 seconds.
I now power the box from the head unit directly. Things could be improved by powering it from the 12V from the car combined with some kind of timer that would allow the box to run for a few hours and then powers it down. This would then allow for shorter stops without having to wait for the device to boot. However I haven't found a suitable circuit and never find enough time to design one myself.

Thank you very much for this information! I'll check out the link and see if any of the devices you listed are available still. I imagine there is a learning curve to getting this all setup for the first time. Once I go through the process once, it should be a lot easier if I need to do it again.

If I understand you correctly, when using a stick/box, I'll be wanting AppRadio Unchained Reloaded rather than Rootless. Sounds pretty obvious I guess since the devices you listed will be rooted. Im so new to this that I dont yet have a clear understanding of the differences (other than root requirement) between those versions. Do I miss out on any features by not using Rootless (asking since it is a newer product)?

I think that the stick/box is the way to go. I'll always have my actual phone with me for internet, there will be less wiring hanging from my dashboard, and if I ever went to sell the truck, I wouldnt have to include a phone with it for the radio to work for the next guy. Is there any significant downside to using the stick/box vs an old phone? Seems like a no-brainer.

Im setting this up on a former work truck that I bought from my employer. There used to be some lighting and other accessories installed which have been removed. So I still have a switched and fused circuit in the cab (3 lighted switches are available). i may give the device constant power through this circuit and just turn off the switch if Im going to be parked for a long time. I'll be interested to test how much power the device actually draws with the truck off so I can determine whether it is safe to leave the switch on overnight or not without draining the battery. Either way, I always let the truck run for at least a minute anyways after its first start of the day before leaving. If I was to go to a store or restaurant, I think I'd just leave the switch on so i could connect and start using right away.

I dont know if it would be useful to anyone, but I originally bought the appradio one by mistake all those years ago. I still have it along with the GPS cable, microphone, and Iphone wiring. If that would be useful to anyone, reach out to me. I wont ever use any of that stuff.

Enough rambling... Im really excited to get started on this... the fact that the head unit itself doesnt even have a2dp bluetooth makes it pretty worthless on its own. I spent all that time installing it, and I am still using a bluetooth FM adapter in the cigarette lighter, hahaha.

Area51 - I gather you are the developer of the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded software. I really appreciate your efforts on making this software as well as all the assistance I've seen you give people on the various forums. Never seen anything like it. Thank you!

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
If I understand you correctly, when using a stick/box, I'll be wanting AppRadio Unchained Reloaded rather than Rootless. Sounds pretty obvious I guess since the devices you listed will be rooted. Im so new to this that I dont yet have a clear understanding of the differences (other than root requirement) between those versions. Do I miss out on any features by not using Rootless (asking since it is a newer product)?
Only thing is you can't use it without root. But it gives better touch response as it can directly inject touch events. The 'rootless way' only allows to inject complete gestures. Meaning it first has to 'record' a gesture and then 'plays' it on the head unit. Basically giving some delay.

I dont know if it would be useful to anyone, but I originally bought the appradio one by mistake all those years ago. I still have it along with the GPS cable, microphone, and Iphone wiring. If that would be useful to anyone, reach out to me. I wont ever use any of that stuff.
Hold on to your GPS cable as a TV box has no GPS receiver. The app will transfer the GPS data to the box. It's the only way to use navigation.

bigbaldbloke

Jun 26, 2007
Just to add that, by the sounds of things, you don't necessarily need an Android stick to achieve what you want. Many of us use the Microsoft wireless display adaptor second version and it's a really simple way to go if all you want is your primary phone displayed and controlled by the head unit. It uses Miracast so you don't need internet access for it to work.

<>sharpest

Sep 18, 2020
Just to add that, by the sounds of things, you don't necessarily need an Android stick to achieve what you want. Many of us use the Microsoft wireless display adaptor second version and it's a really simple way to go if all you want is your primary phone displayed and controlled by the head unit. It uses Miracast so you don't need internet access for it to work.

I've already received one of the tv boxes that area51 mentioned (X96 Max+ Android TV Box 9.0 Amlogic S905X3 4GB RAM 32GB ROM 2.4G/5.8G WiFi 1000M LAN Bluetooth 4.0 H.265 HDR 3D 4K 60fps with 2.4G Voice Remote Control on amazon for $60), but I'll definitely start researching the display adapter as well. I could use the TV box for something else if I really needed to. Thanks for the advice. I have a few other projects outside right now and want to take care of them while I still have nice weather, but I'll probably come back on and report my progress once Ive made some. For now I've settled on having the dash apart in my truck for a little while longer.

My first step will probably be a firmware update...might as well start with the latest firmware, which looks like 8.30.

Take care everyone!

<>sharpest

Sep 18, 2020
a few minor issues with my install (GPS and touchscreen inconsistencies)

There's a guy called Chigz Tech Reviews that keep a list of TV box review scores see here: TOP ANDROID TV BOX CHART OF 2020

hello,
I bought that x96 max plus tv box that you recommended. ive got it connected and seems to largely be working. Ive noticed a few issues so far that I may have just missed a setting for. the most important is that I'm having trouble with Google maps actually tracking my movements. it "seems" to know where I'm starting from, but usually that has been my predefined "home" location in Google maps. ive tried going into the ARUR settings and have used both of the mock locations settings, but didn't see a change. ARUR says that GPS events are not being injected when I click the GPS button in ARUR.

Maybe my setup is wrong? I have the head unit's GPS cord installed and mounted atop my dash. im providing hotspot wifi to the system as well. any thoughts on what I may have overlooked?

the other issue I've noticed is that certain apps (YouTube for example) do not work at all with touchscreen. in fact, this is the only app that doesn't seem to work with a USB remote mouse. youtube DOES work with the weird remote that came with the X96 max plus.

other apps seem to be hit or miss with how responsive they are to touch screen inputs, but I can confirm that touchscreen does work as expected for a majority of apps/tasks.

thanks again for the advice on which device to consider. and if you have any thought on what I can do to get my GPS working right or whether there is a way to force "difficult" apps to accept touchscreen inputs (maybe just different apps for the apps?)

take care!

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
hello,
I bought that x96 max plus tv box that you recommended. ive got it connected and seems to largely be working. Ive noticed a few issues so far that I may have just missed a setting for. the most important is that I'm having trouble with Google maps actually tracking my movements. it "seems" to know where I'm starting from, but usually that has been my predefined "home" location in Google maps. ive tried going into the ARUR settings and have used both of the mock locations settings, but didn't see a change. ARUR says that GPS events are not being injected when I click the GPS button in ARUR.
You got a slightly different box and it seems you are using AppRadio Unchained Rootless. If your box is pre rooted as well, it's better to use AppRadio Unchained Reloaded. This gives a much better touch response as it can inject events directly while Rootless can only inject complete gestures which have to be 'recorded' first and then are sent and replicated.

Maybe my setup is wrong? I have the head unit's GPS cord installed and mounted atop my dash. im providing hotspot wifi to the system as well. any thoughts on what I may have overlooked?
On a TV box you need to set AppRadio Unchained as the 'Mock locations app' in the developer settings. You first need to enable the developer settings.

the other issue I've noticed is that certain apps (YouTube for example) do not work at all with touchscreen. in fact, this is the only app that doesn't seem to work with a USB remote mouse. youtube DOES work with the weird remote that came with the X96 max plus.
If it doesn't work with a mouse it won't work with AppRadio Unchained.

other apps seem to be hit or miss with how responsive they are to touch screen inputs, but I can confirm that touchscreen does work as expected for a majority of apps/tasks.
Did you do a touch calibration?
Did you change the dpi settings of the box? By default everything is way to small when used on a 7 inch screen.
And as stated, AppRadio Unchained Reloaded will give better results.

<>sharpest

Sep 18, 2020
Thanks for your response. Ill have to double check the box that I bought, but on amazon it claimed it came prerooted. since things are working I'll assume thats true. still, ill Google how to confirm whether a device is rooted or not for my own knowledge.

hmm, i just went out to the truck to check and I did download reloaded (not rootless)-version 0.31. why does it seem to you that I have the rootless version?

eventually I got the GPS working. I wish I could tell you what I had been doing wrong, but after going to bed, making another pass through all the settings, and restarting everything a few times, GPS is working as I had hoped. Google maps even has spotify/Google music integration built in which is helpful because it doesn't seem like you can switch back and forth between open apps on a TV box like you could with a phone.

as for youtube only working with the remote that came w the tv box, I reinstalled the youtube app and it is working fine even with touchscreen now. ive got fubutv (with NFL redzone), amazon prime video, Netflix, youtube, spotify, Disney plus, Google play music, and plenty of other apps working now. the only app that I can't seem to find a working version of for this box so far is hulu. Im sure I'm not going to be using any of those video apps frequently, but it is awesome to know they are there!

I'll definitely need to adjust the resolution on the box because I'm fat fingering everything.

my only remaining issue is that I can't seem to get the head unit's microphone to hear me to initiate a voice search. voice search works on the TV box remote, but not via the cabled microphone that came with the head unit... at least right now it doesn't work. I may be crazy, but I could have sworn that it did work when I first started getting things working. ive pulled the head unit out and inspected the plug and cable. there must be some setting I'm missing that is probably not even related to the ARU reloaded app.

this was the best app I've ever purchased. thank you for all your continued efforts. this radio is almost a decade old I'm sure and it is awesome now!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In addition to the well known AppRadio Unchained mod of the Pioneer AppRadio app, a completely Pioneer-less app was developed.
    It's called AppRadio Unchained Reloaded and its available from the Play store here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

If you don't want to root your phone and have Android 7 or higher there's AppRadio Unchained Rootless

Video of AppRadio Unchained Reloaded in use by Alexei Andreyev: Pioneer AVH-X8600BT & LG G3 with ARUnchained
    Another video by Alecion420: STI GR 2012 with ARUnchained+Note 3+pioneer 8000nex+Rockford Fosgate+Boyo backup Cam+SMY keyless
    Video by Rubn: Appradio 3 - ARUR

AppRadio Unchained Reloaded allows full mirroring of your phone from your AppRadio. This means that any app can be controlled from the head unit screen and not just a few that are specially adapted.

For this app to work ROOT is required. Do not ignore this requirement and blame the app for not working!
    V0.17 and up work with SELinux in enforcing mode.

Important
    The 'Smartphone setup' on the head unit needs to be set correctly for Android as by default it's configured for Iphone. Go to Settings->System->Input/Output Settings->SmartphoneSetup and set Device to 'Others' and Connection to 'HDMI'. See this video: Smarthphone setup

Any other AppRadio related app needs to be uninstalled as this blocks the connection to AppRadio Unchained Reloaded.

AppRadio mode requires that your device is connected to the HDMI input of the head unit. Depending on the device this can be done with a MHL / Slimport / Miracast / Chromecast adapter.

Because this app may not work for your setup there's an extended trial period of 48 hours. In order to claim this simply request a refund within 48 hours after purchase by emailing the order number to the support email address.

Two versions
    When your device has Android 4.3 or higher you will get version 0.31 which has support for automatic connection to wireless casting devices.
    The user's manual is available here: Version 0.31 user's manual
    Please read it as it contains all details about setting up a wireless screencasting connection.

When your device has Android version lower than 4.3 you will get version 0.29 without support for wireless casting devices
    The user's manual is here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded User's manual

Supported head units: any AppRadio that supports Android AppMode via HDMI.
    For example: SPH-DA100, SPH-DA110, SPH-DA210, SPH-DA120, AVH-X8500BHS, AVH-4000NEX, AVH-4100NEX, AVH-4200NEX, AVIC-X850BT, AVIC-X950BH, AVIC-Z150BH, AVIC-6000NEX, AVIC-6100NEX, AVIC-6200NEX, AVIC-7000NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-7200NEX, AVIC-8000NEX, AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-8200NEX

Units that have AppRadio mode via USB (a.k.a. AppRadio One) are not supported.

Beta test version
    The beta test version has the latest features but can also contain bugs.
    You need to become a tester of the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded app to be able to get it.
    Please apply here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/mars.area51.arunchained

The following features are supported:
    - Multitouch
    - AppRadio buttons
    - Steering wheel controls
    - GPS data transfer via mock locations (only works with head units that have a GPS receiver AND do not have built-in navigation)
    - Auto enables mock locations on connection (if app is converted to a system app)
    - Wake lock
    - Rotation locker (to put any app in landscape mode)
    - Real calibration
    - Start at boot (for use with Android sticks)
    - Start on HDMI detection (for use with phones and HDMI adapters)
    - Notifications to indicate connection state
    - Widget for returning to head unit home screen
    - Diagnostics
    - Automatic Bluetooth toggle for improved connection
    - Assign system app rights without the need to move files

For Reloaded to be able to switch Mock locations automatically, it needs to have system app rights. These can be assigned as following:
    In the menu select the entry 'System app enable'. Once the rights are assigned the entry will change to 'System app disable'. When executed the system app rights will be revoked. When 'System app enable' is activated, the diagnostics will show 'Can switch mock locations' ticked. However it will not show 'Installed as system app' as technically it's not installed as a system app but nonetheless it has system app rights and the Mock locations can be switched.

When the app is still installed as a system app (by moving the files) the menu entry is disabled as it makes no sense. In order to enable the functionality remove the files that were moved to make it a system app first and then install the latest version.

AppRadio is a registered trademark of Pioneer.
    Disclaimer: You are solely responsible for using this app in such a way that it does not impair your ability to drive.
    Alpha version with screencasting support available

The first version with support for screencasting is made available for alpha testing. This first version was only tested with my Nexus 6. It has Miracast and Chromecast support. To join alpha testing you need to have a Google+ account and then you can apply here: https://plus.google.com/communities/108835433120083901102

Miracast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting start delay' enter 20
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Miracast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Miracast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Chromecast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Chromecast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Chromecast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Control of the screencasting and phone's hotspot (in case of Chromecast) is done via the Settings app GUI. All necessary items are recognised by text from the GUI. In case your phone's language is English most texts to be recognised are predefined and you only need to set the name of the device to cast to. If you use another language you probably need to change the texts in the settings.
    Cast integration progress

Finally have time available to work on cast integration. Currently I have casting to a Belkin Miracast device working reliably on my Nexus 6. From start to a fully working connection takes about 1:40 minutes. This includes booting time of the head unit and the booting time of the Belkin Miracast which actually takes the most time. Still have to debug the code for connection to a Chromecast and clean it up a bit. I expect to have an alpha version available within a week.
    Yeah Cant Wait! Keep in mind also here to help and test!
    As soon as there is a version for testing available I will announce it here. I am trying to work on it as much as possible. I made the prototype more stable and also have implemented keyevent injection so now the buttons work as well. My best guess is that ETA for the test version is less than 2 weeks.
    Rootless version progress

Good news, I have a prototype of the rootless version working on a non-rooted Samsung S4. There's still quite some work to do to tidy up things and make it really stable as currently it's really unstable but the most difficult part is done now. Even multi-touch is working already.