[Android 4.1+] HeadUnit Reloaded for Android Auto with Wifi

What should be my next focus?

• Try to work out how to integrate ODB2/CAN data?

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • Build a HUD app to work with HUR(HUDWAY style)?

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Something else?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

acqua72

May 28, 2008
Hi guys, I wanted to ask you I installed Hur on my tab s2 8" and connected with my samsung a53 with native connection, it works but it doesn't work for me google map, it tells me a message comes out saying " finish setting up apps on the phone as soon as possible "...set what...thanks for the help..

PaulieP

Jul 23, 2007
Has anyone figured out a way to get native 1024x600 support? Since the app supports every resolution instead of likely the most common resolution found across the generic android HU market, 1024x600.

-yes I've tried the native 720p and various PPI settings, not interested in this but rather proper 1024x600 for sharper detail and text. Thanks

FoxCMK

Dec 18, 2012
Hey, I just tried something that worked here. I went to the Android settings, under Display. There's a submenu called Full screen. This is to allow apps to show content around the punchout camera. I selected this for HUR and then the AA icons were no longer cut off. I did have to adjust the left margin by 50 pixels to avoid the punchout camera.
Can confirm that even with special permissions, Immersive Mode Manager is unable to change the way Immersive Mode is used for Headunit Reloaded (and basically all other apps) on my Pixel 6a.

I'm guessing @Emil Borconi isn't working on this app anymore, but maybe he's reading these comments? If so, is there any way for a non-fullscreen ("immersive" mode) option to be added in Graphics for Self Mode?

lew26

Nov 1, 2019
Can confirm that even with special permissions, Immersive Mode Manager is unable to change the way Immersive Mode is used for Headunit Reloaded (and basically all other apps) on my Pixel 6a.

I'm guessing @Emil Borconi isn't working on this app anymore, but maybe he's reading these comments? If so, is there any way for a non-fullscreen ("immersive" mode) option to be added in Graphics for Self Mode?
Emil was last on the board the end of November. His last post, regarding a different product,

[APP][5.0+]OBD2 Plugin for Android Auto - Use Torque with AndroidAuto​

End of life and open source.

Due to lots of changes both in Android and in my life, I do not have the possibility to maintain / update the code any further, therefore I've decided to open source.

I assume HUR is also EoL.

landous

Feb 6, 2012

I don't think it's immersive mode, but how the phone allows the app (or not) to paint around the punchout camera area. There's a setting under the phone's development mode that deal with the camera "cutout". There's an option to "hide" it that might fix the issue for you. However, this is a phone-wide setting that won't be limited to only HUR. I still think this is a Google bug, not a bug on HUR. Google should allow individual app control for backwards compatibility with older apps.

Reactions: FoxCMK

FoxCMK

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think it's immersive mode, but how the phone allows the app (or not) to paint around the punchout camera area. There's a setting under the phone's development mode that deal with the camera "cutout". There's an option to "hide" it that might fix the issue for you. However, this is a phone-wide setting that won't be limited to only HUR. I still think this is a Google bug, not a bug on HUR. Google should allow individual app control for backwards compatibility with older apps.
This worked. In the "Display Cutout" developer setting, changing it to "Render apps below cutout area" fixes HUR in self mode. Unfortunately, like you said, it's a systemwide setting. I don't hate it though.

Reactions: landous

iulian1421

Apr 6, 2013
Brussels
This worked. In the "Display Cutout" developer setting, changing it to "Render apps below cutout area" fixes HUR in self mode. Unfortunately, like you said, it's a systemwide setting. I don't hate it though.
Hi, I had the same problem on my Pixel 6. Read the first page of this thread and saw a beta version (6.3) was released in 2021.
Gave it a try by joining to the beta testing for the app on the Play Store page (paid app) and got the option to update.
Can confirm it now scales/sets the bounds correctly.
I had to restart the head unit server and to disable audio sink in HUR audio settings as I had no sound.

FoxCMK

Dec 18, 2012
Hi, I had the same problem on my Pixel 6. Read the first page of this thread and saw a beta version (6.3) was released in 2021.
Gave it a try by joining to the beta testing for the app on the Play Store page (paid app) and got the option to update.
Can confirm it now scales/sets the bounds correctly.
I had to restart the head unit server and to disable audio sink in HUR audio settings as I had no sound.
Confirmed! It's fixed! Thank you kindly!

Reactions: iulian1421

zaang

Apr 8, 2008
From what I understand the developer stopped updating the application and that it is already open source.
Is it necessary to buy the app or is it already free?

lew26

Nov 1, 2019
From what I understand the developer stopped updating the application and that it is already open source.
Is it necessary to buy the app or is it already free?
The developer has appeared to have moved on. I haven't read anything indicating the product is free or open source. I sent a message to the developer. I didn't receive an answer.

The cost is nominal.

Your alternative is a more expensive hardware solution such as carlinkit.com

zaang

Apr 8, 2008
The developer has appeared to have moved on. I haven't read anything indicating the product is free or open source. I sent a message to the developer. I didn't receive an answer.

The cost is nominal.

Your alternative is a more expensive hardware solution such as carlinkit.com
Is the application minimally stable and lag-free?
The value is even low, however it is something that seems to have no future since it does not have more updates.
Worth to buy?
I intend to use it wirelessly on the bike.

ffpp.2003

Feb 21, 2018
Córdoba, Argentina
Hey guys, I recently boght HUR and opted in for the beta tester progam and when using the wireless connection, if I disable the wifi on my phone (to disconnect from AA) it makes the app crash. Is someone else experiencing the same issue? Also, it appears to be that development on this app is stuck. Are there any other alternatives that have a more active development?

EDIT: Forgot about the bugreport

Attachments

• bugreport2.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

mjj4884

Sep 12, 2019
I think he already moved on to AAWireless project. That is involving hardware purchase to enable android auto (which the business is selling the hardware) compared to usd4.99 purchase that can achieve almost the same thing

lew26

Nov 1, 2019
I think he already moved on to AAWireless project. That is involving hardware purchase to enable android auto (which the business is selling the hardware) compared to usd4.99 purchase that can achieve almost the same thing
The author was online last Wednesday but hasn't posted since the end of November.

AA WIRELESS adds wireless AA to a head unit which already supports USB wired AA. Target market is owners of cars which support wired AA on factory head units.

HUR adds AA to, primarily after market, android head units which don't off support for AA.

Originally the author said he would be coming back after AA WIRELESS was up and running.

I don't know how many existing, paid customers, would be willing to pay for a new version. I don't how big a market there is for new customers.

In other words I wonder if there is enough money out there to justify significant further development

champa.rando

Feb 17, 2023
Hi. I have a problem with my Headunit Reloaded.
So I have an Android Head Unit 8GB RAM 128GB ROM Android 11 (apparently CPU-Z shows its true). It works fine, but within Headunit Reloaded, if I am running it (wirelessly or wired), and within the background of the head unit I run any app such as Sygic or any app which gives notification sounds for police radars, the Headunit Reloaded app exits and I cannot reconnect Android Auto until I reboot my phone and android head unit (the headunit reloaded app will crash if I retry after the audio crash - until reboot). Basically, it will all work fine, background apps will be cooperating with Headunit Reloaded, but if there is any sound or notification with audio sent from other apps within stereo/android head unit, Headunit Reloaded APP crashes and is terminated. Im trying to see if Headunit Reloaded is at fault or the stereo itself?

Reason I ask this here is because, is this something others have seen with Headunit Reloaded or just me? It can help me narrow down why Android Auto connection is terminated by Headunit Reloaded quitting as soon as stereo makes any other in background. Trying to see if its my headunit or this app.

lew26

Nov 1, 2019
Third party navigation apps like Sygic and Here can run through AA. You can add them to the AA launcher. Are you running them that way or are you running them natively on your HU at the same time, AA is running.

mc4ren

Dec 17, 2007
I previously had a Huawei P20 Pro, worked flawlessly in USB version with AA. After I switched to a Samsung S20 5G, the USB connection fails every time. I couldn't make it work for more than 1 minute. It crashes and I have to exit AA to start the connection again... only for it to crash again. Now I'm trying the wireless version, but I very much prefer the USB version. I've tried to find in the thread, but can't find a solution. Any clues?
HeadUnit: PX5.

ZhenMing

Im using the paid version of HUR with beta tester. I'm using self mode and I'm hit by the error of "Your phone's keyboard is active" when ever I want to search in the Google Maps or Waze. What is the possible solution to this?

The 2nd question is about the start self mode automatically does not work here. It will gives me blank screen and halted. Anyone had any idea how to get it work?

ese_beto

Oct 31, 2010
Hi guys. I'm using this app in self mode but I'm facing an issue. When connected with car radio by Bluetooth, every time I make or receive a phone call the app get frozen and it finally crashes. Any idea for a fix? Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Been struggling to get USB auto-start working with newer versions of KSW builds. I'll plug in my USB cable and even have HUR open, but it won't actually start Android Auto until I select my device within the USB menu.

Is this a known issue?
    Yes I have the same issue with my unit (generic Chinese). I had to set up UI touch interaction macro via Macrodroid to automate this and it works quite well. No other way to get around this unfortunately.
    Is there a way to completely disable the GPS from my phone? I have an old smartphone as unit. Changing the "share GPS" setting didn't do anything, there's always the GPS icon on my phone's statusbar.
    I also tried to disable GPS access to maps from the phone, but this leads to a white screen on the unit informing me to activate the flag.
    Thank you!
    The share GPS option does work if you have a functioning headunit GPS. The GPS on the phone needs to be enabled as well because the AA uses it as a 'fallback' option, so don't worry about the icon. However, if you still want to disable the GPS on your phone then you might want to use Waze instead of Maps as it will keep running if you disable your phone GPS (not recommended though).
    This Threader is a Spin-off of the original: [Android 4.1+] Headunit for Android Auto - 160117 - Self Mode+ other fixes, x86, 720p by the late :crying: @mikereidis.

App links: https://www.b3itlabs.com/prod.php?id=1
    PlayStore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr

Previous XDA Lab purchases can be downloaded using: https://www.b3itlabs.com/download.php

Last edited: 20/04/2023
    Version 7.X Released
    - It has braking changes for WiFi, this is mainly due to recent Android SDK limits, like toggling WiFi, BT, getting Mac address and others. Therefore WiFi connection now does need a helper app on the phone.
    - Dropped GLES20 as too many issues reported by different bad implementations
    - Resolution is now automatically detected based on the cars screen.
    - SelfMode (running on phone screen) works without the need of activating developer options in Android Auto.

Last edited: 07/02/2021
    Version 6.3 Beta 1 released
    - Re-wrote whole rendering process to use GLES20, in simple terms video render should use GPU
    - Much better scaling approach
    - Added support for native AA Wireless. This will only work on the units where the BT is accessible from the Android, as many of those android powered Chinese units, have a separate BT board. For devices which supports this, no headunit server or no WiFi Launcher is needed.
    - Changed key mapping, user can now define their own buttons as they wish.

Last edited: 21/06/2020

Version 5.2 released
    - Removed WiFi Direct
    - Improved menu UI CREDIT and THANKS TO @sebaw
    - Updated margin setting
    - Added option to record audio using BT mic (motorcycle helmets)
    - Added button to reconnect WiFi connection ( phone and unit depended won't work on all units, please read app forum for how to connect)
    - Option to disable touchscreen
    - Removed brightness adjustment (some users experienced problems adjusting brightness after using previous version, sadly they need to do a factory reset of the unit, and update to current version)

Version 5 released
    - New UI CREDIT and THANKS TO @sebaw
    - New over-scan approach allowing any resolution units to work properly (including portrait mode)
    - New mic source (should help with speech recognition)
    - Added option to keep status bar (user request)
    - Added welcome setup
    - Added possibility to use old USB driver (android built in one) in case you cannot get it connected with the new version
    - Added option for Gain control on mic
    - Added option to keep Wifi off (for USB use)
    - Changed Wifi Direct implementation (you will need to install the Wifi Launcher for HUR on the phone to use Wifi Direct)
    - Removed option to stretch full screen as this is not needed any more (it will always be full screen)
    - Fixed Incoming mode not setting password for some devices
    - Fixed app crash when Wifi toggled during app running
    - Fixed night icon colors for devices running 4.x
    - Fixed app freeze if permissions denied
    - Fixed app crash after device unplugged when using native android USB driver.
    - Fixed day/night calculation if share GPS turned off
    - Code cleanup
    - Other bug fixes.

Also a big THANK YOU to @ppietak for helping with code cleanup and bug fixes!

Version 4.5 released
    - Fixes for USB shuttering
    - New USB driver
    - Fixes for reverse camera not resuming on some units
    - Added support for incoming connection listener (automating Wifi) - Experimental, read below how to connect

Version 4.4 Released
    Change log

• Fixed broken touchscreen
    • Changes on WideScreen mode and HD
    • Fixes for Rotary
    • Potential fix for black screen for second connection over Wifi
    • Left/Right hand driving position option (for widescreen)
    • Buffer setting for mic (could help when Assistant does not hear what you're saying)
      Enjoy XDA Ad Free and check out:

Version 4.3 Released
    Change log

• Fixed double skip on Spotify when using SWC
    • No more decoder workaround needed (updated code for video playback)
    • Added support for rotary (arrow keys can be used for non-touch input)
    • Enhanced mic input (mic sampling rate can be adjusted in settings for better compatibility)
    • Added intent: "gb.xxy.hr.WifiP2P" for Wifi-Direct start
    • Added app color scheme (dark menu for night)
    • Mapped Key N to open Maps (N=Navigation)
    • Mapped Key L to open Multimedia (L = Listen)
    • Changed USB code, hoping to help those who suffered for USB disconnection problems
    • Fixed a serious bug in share GPS code
    • For some rooted android headunits the app can now disable the default call screen being overlayed when HUR is running (only if HUR is set as the navigation app!) This will require ROOT

Version 4.1 Released
    Change log

• Removed Google Play Services dependencies
    • Honda compatibility fixes
    • Some other small bug fixes

Version 4.0 Released

How to use the app?
    USB Mode

• Plug in the USB to your device (in case of tablet use an OTG cable), when prompted make sure you allow HUR to be the default app for the action and you check the always box.
    • If you are running the app on a device with Android 7.0 or higher, you might need to pull down the notification bar and select the connected USB device before the app starts (this is device dependent)
    • If the app does not start automatically when you plug in your phone, you can always open HUR, tap the USB button and select the phone from the list.

Wifi Mode
    READ SECOND POST

Self Mode (when Android Auto and HUR are running on the same device)
    • Open HUR and press the self mode button. (you need to make sure Android Auto, Google Play Service, Google maps, Google Text To Speech is also installed on the device and it's up to date)

FAQ / Troubleshoot

All I get is a black screen

- If you are using an Android powered headunit (Joying, Xtrons, etc) look for a setting on your device which allows Video Playback during drive
    - Try changing HUR settings and enable Software decoding

What does the "Share GPS" do?
    - Share GPS actually forwards the GPS data of your device to the phone, so phone will need to do less work, comes really handy if you have an Android powered headunit, with external GPS antenna, however, if you using a tablet which is built into the dashboard, it's possible that you want to turn off this feature, because your phone will have a more accurate GPS fix.

What is the Sink Audio
    - This option enabled HUR to work as a speaker for your phone. If you disable this option, all the sounds will be outputted on your phone speaker (or if your phone is connected to a Bluetooth device, then they will be played back on that)

My carrier doesn't provide data allowance for Wifi, what can I do?
    Wifi data used between phone and tablet is classed as intranet not internet so it won't count against your data usage, but do be careful if you have auto-updates enabled on the device running HUR those updates will be downloaded over the phone's Wifi hotspot and that will incur data costs.

I have audio-sink enabled but phone calls are coming from the phone speaker. Why?
    Android Auto is designed to sink all the audio over USB (Wifi) except phone calls where it will ALWAYS use a Bluetooth headset, if none is connected it will just flip the phone to speaker mode.

Are any hardware keys supported?
    • Volume Up
    • Volume Down
    • Media Next
    • Media Prev
    • Media Play
    • Media Stop
    • Media Rewind
    • Phone answer key (In case of incoming call it will answer the call, in case of not being on a call it will take you to the dial pad
    • F key - Same as Phone Key
    • M Key - Mic
    • H Key - Takes you to home screen

What about intents?

• gb.xxy.hr.playpause Same as pressing the Play/Pause media button.
    • gb.xxy.hr.next Same as pressing the Next media button.
    • gb.xxy.hr.prev Same as pressing the Prev media button.
    • gb.xxy.hr.mic Triggers microphone input.
    • gb.xxy.hr.phone Same as pressing the dial key (answer phone call when ringing, takes you to dialer screen otherwise).
    • gb.xxy.hr.day Enables day theme.
    • gb.xxy.hr.night Enables night theme.
    • gb.xxy.hr.togglenight Switches between day and night theme.

I need more help.
    - Feel free to ask a question on this thread, or you can always drop me an email to borconie@gmail.com

How do I collect a bug report / logcat

1. Enabling Developer Mode

• 1. Open Settings > About phone.
    • 2. Scroll down to the Build number.
    • 3. Tap the Build number 7 times in quick succession until "You're now a developer" appears.
    • 4. Return to the Settings menu and select Developer options.
    • 5. At the top of the screen, make sure 'Developer options' is set to On (green).
    • 6. Scroll down to Debugging and enable both USB debugging and Bug Report Shortcut on (green).
    • 7. Tab on Logger buffer sizes: Default setting is 256K. Select 16M to help capture more information for debugging. Of note, it can affect the apps performance especially with lower spec phone, so change it back after you have finished submitting bug reports.

2. Capturing a Bug Report
    It's very important to do this right after you experience the issue again, so your device can log at least one occurrence of the issue.
    • 1. Hold the Power button down until the menu appears.
    • 2. Select Take bug report. and wait for the device to capture the bug report.
    • 3. Tap the 'Bug report captured' notification when it appears.
    • 4. Share the bug report. (I recommend to email it to yourself.)
    • 5. Download the bug report to your computer.
    • 6. Send the bug report by email to borconie@gmail.com

IF YOU UPGRADED TO ANDROID AUTO 2.X

Dial Pad is broken - Workaround available:
    - Open AA -> About -> 3 dot menu -> Developer settings -> Application mode -> change to developer. This will bring back the Dial screen.

Version 3.0 Released
    Changelog:
    • - Move USB functions from C to Java
    • - USB popup numbers limited to 2 and they should remain saved
    • - App will only start on a phone manufacturer vendor
    • - App is now running in multi-thread for better performance
    • - Much enhanced Wifi speed
    • - Better USB stability
    • - Should work on RK3188 units as well
    • - App runs as service so can be run in the background as well
    • - While running in background supports notification control for media
    • - While running in background on units running 5.0+ and above you will enjoy Heads-Up notifications for navigation
    • - Ability to rename the "Headunit" to your own prefered string.
    • - Fixed Wifi-Direct so can connect over Wifi-Direct as well, but not all devices seems to work
    • - Moved string to XML so translation to other languages should be implemented in the future
    • - Fixes some memory leaks
    • - Supports custom hardware keys

Version 2.5a Released
    - Fix for USB close bug in 2.5

Version 2.5 Released - Attention contain BUG
    - Left/Right button goes into endless loop
    - Added support for ARM64
    - Changed car name from Emil to Headunit
    - Added mirror output support for HUD display.

Version 2.4 Released
    - Improved performance (Wifi should be on par with USB now, even with Audio transport enabled)
    - Improved touch sync (no accidental long touches and other strange occasional bugs)
    - Option to share the GPS with the phone (reduce battery usage footprint on phone)
    - Final fixes for Day/Night calculation and theme switching
    - Auto volume adjust fixes (on supported ROM, the volume adjuster is hidden from the user)
    - Software decoding works with Audio as well.

Version 2.3 Released
    - Improvements and fixes for auto volume adjust
    - Improvements and fixes for hardware key input
    - Wifi speed improvements (should be able to run smoothly even with transport sound enabled)
    - Tweaks for SelfMode (home and recent app button can be used to gracefully exit the app)
    And the biggest change:
    - Unlimited Browsing support - This is experimental and hacky it's possible that Google will close the loophole at some point but for the time being it works.

Version 2.2 Released - With some major changes
    - Fixes for Communication Error 2 received with Play Service 10.X
    - New Self mode
    - Corrected channels order
    - Unlimited browsing working when car is parked (only for Android Auto 1.6)
    - Totally changed the Day/Night toggle logic, now the calculations are done inside the headunit app and updated each 10 minutes, so if you're driving all day the sunset/sunrise should be correct. even if you are 500 miles more to the north or west or whatever.
    - Added Auto adjust volume option (works for bluetooth audio as well).
    - Changed all the key mapping, and using real keys instead of simulated touches:

Supported hardware keys:
    1. Volume Up
    2. Volume Down
    3. Media Next
    4. Media Prev
    5. Media Play
    6. Media Stop
    7. Media Rewind
    8. Phone answer key (In case of incoming call it will answer the call, in case of not being on a call it will take you to the dial pad
    9. F key - Same as Phone Key
    10. D key - Changes to Day theme
    11. N Key - Changes to Night theme
    12. M Key - Mic
    13. H Key - Takes you to home screen

The following keys are still usable but they are based on simulated touches:
    • Up Arrow = Scroll Up
    • Down Arrow = Scroll Down
    • Left Arrow = Moves to next Left tab
    • Right Arrow - Moves to next right tab

Version 2.0 Released
    Changelog:
    - Fixed calculated night mode
    - Added support for Software decoding (should work now with any device) - If you have problems running HUR, go to settings and enable Software decoding. Do not use software decoding with audio transport, the audio playback will suffer a lot, consider streaming the audio from the phone to a A2DP directly or using a cable to connect the phone Jack to the stereo AUX, or if your phone is rooted you might want to consider Wifi Audio streaming app, it's too much to ask from the Software decoder to do both Audio and Video, unless you have a very strong CPU, but if that is the case I'm pretty confident that the Hardware decoding will work on the device.
    - Added option for letterbox display (prevent distortion of stretch)
    - Added option to start the app when connected to Wifi

Software Decoding
    - Based on the feedback although it works, I'm not recommending this app for those with Joying or any other Rockchip (RK3188, RK3066) powered headunit. Feel free to use the trial and decide yourself, but it appears to be painfully slow on those devices.

Version 1.5 Released - Key features
    - Stable Wifi connection
    - Added support for Android 7.0 (Self mode as well)
    - Self mode running in stable and usable way
    - Connecting USB cable will start app automatically (even if phone is running Android 6.0 or 7.0)
    - Supports keyboard shortcuts:
    1. M = Start the Mic
    2. N = Navigation Tab
    3. P = Phone Tab
    4. H = Home Tab
    5. E = Entertainment Tab
    6. UP Arrow = Scroll Up
    7. Down Arrow = Scroll Down
    8. Left Arrow = Moves to next Left tab
    9. Right Arrow - Moves to next right tab
    10. S = Play/Pause button (only works in Entertainment tab)
    11. F = Next track (only works in Entertainment tab)
    12. R = Prev Track (only works in Entertainment tab)
    - Uses light sensor (if available) for toggling Day/Night theme.

If you are updating from version older than 1.2 please read:
    You won't be able to install it over the old one (Key signature changed!), so please uninstall the previous version before updating, HOWEVER if you were upgraded for free from Mike's version, please follow this steps:
    1) On XDA Labs, click the download Stable
    2) When prompted to install select Cancel
    3) Open a file explorer and go to Storage -> Android -> com.xda.labs -> files
    4) Locate the newly download APK and copy it somewhere else.
    5) Uninstall the old version
    6) Install the APK which you just copied.
    If you miss any of the steps, just reinstall the old version you received from me by email and try again, let me know if you are stuck.

App requirements:
    - Android 4.1 or higher
    - H264 Hardware decoding!

How to use the app: (Please read this steps before asking for help)
    1) USB OTG
    - Plug in the OTG cable to your tablet, connect your phone, done!

2) Self mode (for AA 2.0) - See Video
    - Start Android Auto, Go to About, if you are not a developer yet press the "Android Auto" header 10 times, from the 3 dotted menu select "Start Head Unit Serve"
    - Exit Android Auto
    - Start HUR and select Self

3) Wifi
    - From the phone create a Wifi hotspot
    - Start Android Auto, Go to About, if you are not a developer yet press the "Android Auto" header 10 times, from the 3 dotted menu select "Start Head Unit Serve"
    - Connect your tablet to the newly created Wifi hotspot
    - Start the Headunit Reloaded app
    - HTC ATTENTION! If your phone is a HTC, please change the default IP address to: 192.168.1.1
    - Select Wifi

4) Wifi Direct (not supported by all phones/tables)
    - Start Headunit Reloaded on the tablet
    - Select Wifi Direct
    - On the phone go to Settings -> Wifi -> Advanced -> Wifi Direct, join the group. (Do not try to connect as to a normal Wifi it will not work!)
    - On the phone start Android Auto, Go to About, if you are not a developer yet press the "Android Auto" header 10 times, from the 3 dotted menu select "Start Head Unit Serve"

Other important notes:
    Software Decoding
    - Based on the feedback although it works, I'm not recommending this app for those with Joying or any other Rockchip (RK3188, RK3066) powered headunit. Feel free to use the trial and decide yourself, but it appears to be painfully slow on those devices.

To exit the app
    If you are connected with USB, just unplug the USB cable, DO NOT use the exit from the menu. If you are running Wifi, Wifi Direct or Self mode, ALWAYS use the exit button from the left drawer menu!

Audio transport option
    Will forward (sink) all the audio from the phone to the tablet if enabled, EXCEPT phone call audio, that will go trough the phone speakers or Bluetooth Handsfree if connected. If you wish to stream all the audio from the phone directly to your A2DP bluetooth, then simply disable the Transport Audio option.

Day/Night toggle
    The device running the Headunit Reloaded app will be responsible for changing the theme. You can chose between using the light sensor of the device to toggle between day and night mode, or you can use calculated sunset sunrise mode, or even force it to one theme only. If you have previously installed AA Helper to your phone, please uninstall it!

Auto Start on Wifi
    This option will launch HUR whenever you are connected to a Wifi (specific Wifi can be named)

Auto increase volume on speed
    The logic behind is a very simple approach, every time the speed increases it will send a vol + key to the phone and every time the speed decrease it will send a vol - to the phone. This requires the device running HUR to have a GPS receiver.

OLD STUFF:

Version 1.3 (Wishlist version) - Released
    - Added option for easy car mode toggling. (Car mode can be disabled if not using Self mode - avoid conflict with other Car apps)
    - Auto Hide status + action bar while running the app no need to use the Hide option from menu
    - App will automatically close when Wifi connection is lost

Version 1.2b - Released
    - Buffer overflow protection - Special Thanks to invis-zz from GitHub (https://github.com/invisi-zz) - This should random crashes while using the app.
    - Removed Send Log feature (it was classed as backdoor/trojan and Google was blocking the app on playstore)
    - Updated OpenSSL library to 1.0.1t (used OpenSSL contained vulnerabilities and Play store blocked the app)
    - Managed to get the app on PlayStore (wonder if it will stay...) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr
    Signature Key changed!!!!
    I had to update the APK signature key (I'm trying my luck with Play Store), this means if you try to install the new version you won't be able to install it over the old one, so please uninstall the previous version before updating, HOWEVER if you were upgraded for free from Mike's version, please follow this steps:
    1) On XDA Labs, click the download Stable
    2) When prompted to install select Cancel
    3) Open a file explorer and go to Storage -> Android -> com.xda.labs -> files
    4) Locate the newly download APK and copy it somewhere else.
    5) Uninstall the old version
    6) Install the APK which you just copied.
    If you miss any of the steps, just reinstall the old version you received from me by email and try again, let me know if you are stuck.

Version 1.1 Stable - Released
    Jumping the version number due to significant amount of changes:

• Removed Day/Night/Auto mode (see bottom of this post for a better solution.)
    • Added new setting for 720p Video - Fully working now (even on Wifi)
    • Changed Self mode start sequence (if the phone is rooted it will start automatically and then go back to HU), if your device is not rooted, please use the following sequence to start Self mode:

1. Start HU app
      2. Select Self mode
      3. When AA opens select Start Developer Server
    • Added support for hardware keys (simulating touches), so if your tablet is integrated with the car remote you can control AA from the remote.
      Hardware keys as follow:
      1. M = Start the Mic
      2. N = Navigation Tab
      3. P = Phone Tab
      4. H = Home Tab
      5. E = Entertainment Tab
      6. UP Arrow = Scroll Up
      7. Down Arrow = Scroll Down
      8. Left Arrow = Moves to next Left tab
      9. Right Arrow - Moves to next right tab
      10. S = Play/Pause button (only works in Entertainment tab)
      11. F = Next track (only works in Entertainment tab)
      12. R = Prev Track (only works in Entertainment tab)
    • Some other minor tweaks, to improve stability and make Self mode connect 9 out of 10 times.
    • Fully integrated x86 native binaries
    • Declared app as CAR HOME, for those using SelfMode it is crucial, that when you get prompted which should be the default CAR HOME app (Android Auto or HU) you select HU!!! - This is needed to be able to bring back the HU on top after a successful connection is established. AA is trying to override everything..... and to block the user out of his phone as soon as it's connected to the car.
    • Transport Audio option will affect USB connections as well (You can keep the audio on your phone/bluetooth, when connected with the OTG cable)

Version 1.03b released - Beta

- You will find it in XDA Labs (under the Beta version)
    - Fixes Wifi/Self mode for some devices which didn't connect before
    - Increased stream buffer size to match the DesktopHeadUnit app (128Kb vs 64Kb)

Version 1.02 release
    - Fixed wifi not connecting on some device only after numerous attempts (see explanation below if interested)

The issue looks to be related to the timing, on some occasions and on some devices the phone either sends the SSL data too soon, either too late, either to slow :) and because the TCP socket is set to non-blocking mode, it can end up in a missed packet in the initial Handshake. I have tweaked this now, so the TCP socket will connect in non-blocking mode, but will switch to blocking mode and wait for full message after a successful connection and once the SSL Handshake is out of the way it will revert back to non-blocking mode, uhhh event reading this makes me dizzy :)
    This however could make the initial startup slightly slower than it was.

- Corrected AutoStart option (Working properly now)
    - Fixed USB device overlapping Settings text on the drawer menu
    - Added "Send Log" function to be used if there are problems for easier debugging.

Version 1.01 released

- Potential Wifi disconnect fix (see: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68078605&postcount=16 for details)
    - AutoStart option added to the menu

Very sadly Mike passed away this year and his software stopped working after a Google Update, he left us a slightly outdated GPLv3 version of the software at: https://github.com/mikereidis/headunit which I have used to rebuild (or ty to) rebuild up to his latest build with some additional small modifications as well as fixing the issue caused by Google.

The forked version can be found on: https://github.com/borconi/headunit if anybody is intersted.

Since the app released by him isn't working any longer I have created the new version of it and slightly re-name it just to avoid any confusion.

I take almost no credit in this app, except for some minor changes, and finding the fix for what Google have broke (changed), which was a painful task.

I'm not a developer as such, and this app would never have existed if it wasn't for @mikereidis, however I have spent now several weeks studying the app and understanding how it's working and I plan to continue with the maintenance/development of the app.

I have published the app on XDA Labs under the new name: "Headunit Reloaded Android Auto" and it is now available for purchase. As I have stated previously I'm intending to support all of Mike's customers, so if you have purchased Mike's application before, please email me a proof of purchase to borconie@gmail.com and you can have a free copy of the spin-off app.

How to use (Self / Wifi ) ?
    1) Self mode.
    See instructions in version 1.1

2) Wifi Mode
    Start AA on your phone, tap the header 20 times till you become a developer, once that is completed from the menu select Start Head Unit server. Now start tethering on the phone, connect the tablet to the newly created wifi hotspot, start HU on your tablet and select Wifi. This will make the HU app try to connect to the default Android gateway (192.168.43.1), if you need to change this, use the Settings menu from the HU option list. If HU doesn't start on first, do try a few more times, first setup sometimes proves tricky. If this is the first time you connect your phone to the a HU, please make sure you answer all the questions on the phone.

3) Wifi p2p
    This is not supported by all devices and might not work for your device, plus sometimes it can be slightly buggy. Start WifiP2p on the tablet from the HU. On the phone go to Wifi Direct (this is usually found in Advanced Wifi settings settings - DON'T TRY TO CONNECT LIKE TO A NORMAL WIFI and look for a new available connection. If you can see one tap to join. Once you joined the network, give it about 30 seconds or so, then open the AA on the phone and start the head unit developer server (same as describe it above). If you're lucky it will work instantly, if not you might need to play around with it.

Other Options:
    Possibility to toggle the Audio mirroring when using a Wifi connection. By disabling the Audio mirroring, you will keep all the audio on your phone rather than on the tablet (or on the handsfree) if the phone is connected to the handsfree. This will improve the performance greatly, since audio will use up a significant quantity of Wifi bandwidth when communicating between the 2 device.

USB OTG connection.
    Have remained unchanged and it will work same way it did till now, see original threader for details.

I will monitor both Threads and will do my best to help and support everybody.

Wifi Mode - Starting with HUR 7.X

Braking changes with version 7.X
    Only for phones running Android 9 or higher, if you still use Android 8 phone, you won't be able to connect over WiFi. Device running HUR, can have any version of Android.

Phone Setup:
    1. Install Wifi Launcher for HUR on the phone ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borconi.emil.wifilauncherforhur&hl=en_US )
    2. Make sure you give the app all the permissions, including draw over other apps, otherwise it cannot start Android Auto from the background!
    3. Open the app and select the car's BT adaptor from the list (make sure phone is NOT connected to the car's BT, but BT is enabled!)
    4. If you want your phone to create the hotspot, turn on the option to Enable hotspot (this will probably not work if you are on Version in the USA due to carrier limitations!), likewise if you want your car to create the hotspot or you want to use an incar wifi module, leave this option turned off.
    5. Only turn on the legacy option if HUR specifically instruct you so.
    Car/Headunit setup:
    1. Connect to the phones hotspot or if you are using an incar WiFi connect to that network. Alternatively if you want HUR to create the hotspot and connect your phone to it, enable the option in HUR settings.
    2. Open HUR

As soon as the 2 devices are on the same network, HUR will fire up on your car screen.
    Hi guys.
    Sorry haven't been reading this thread and likely I will have limited time to read it in the future as well, that doesn't mean I'm not supporting the app any further, simply I can't spread myself to so many things.

I've seen a few comments, regarding resolution and some other issues, mainly WiFi Launcher and WiFi connection.

First off, I had taken those functions away because I had no choice, if I want the app to be available in playstore need to compile it with newer SDK, but newer SDK removes abilities to toggle BT for example, or get the devices Mac address, things which are crucial for native wireless Android Auto. Also new changes won't allow WiFi launcher to connect to a specific network, or to disconnect from the network, you can make requests but it's not guaranteed that it will be fulfilled, therefore wiped everything which existed before and started from 0 using Network Discovery Service, which SHOULD be a standard since Android 4.1, but found out it's not and some devices are missing it (hence the flurry of updates after version 7.0 rolled out). The concept is very simple, HUR advertise it's service on the network and WiFi Launcher connects to it, regardless who creates the network, or what WiFi network you are on, as long as it's the same network.

Resolution option, HUR now takes the best matching resolution available and the optimal for the screen. For example, if your screen runs on 1024x600 it will use 1280x720 resolution and add the margins to make the screen output be exactly 1024x600. If your screen is 600x1024 HUR will chose the 720x1280 as now Android Auto does support vertical resolutions as well. In above case selecting any higher resolution makes no sense as the image will still be cropped at 1024x600, and selecting lower resolution will mean HUR needs to upscale. Decoding video at 1080p should be no issue for any device manufactured in the last 10 years, even if it has to do it with CPU and not hardware accelerated. Manually changing resolution does not add any benefit, it creates more customer support, so while some persons might get upset about it, will most probably stick with the decision.

Majority of the problems with connection are coming from all kind of weird implementations and manufacturer broken standards and stuff. I try to make sure the app works for most, but genuinely there is no silver bullet and one size fits it all. In the last few years the number of Android powered units have exploded and they range from super cheap entry level stuff to very expensive sophisticated units, but simply that the unit is powerful in terms of specs, doesn't mean it has proper implementations. Xiaomi, for example still have native Wireless AA broken, even on Android 13, albeit it was supposed to work from Android 11, they have a bug where WiFi disconnects when the GSM/LTE signal is lost. Lenovo doesn't include the Network Service Discovery, many chinese units have broken video driver, where mediacodec gets in corrupted state after a surface is destroyed, and the list of issues can go on forever. So before trashing the app, do consider the above and realize that it's just impossible to make it good for everyone.

Also for support please use support@b3itlabs.com email address as someone will pick that up, if there is a major incident on this thread please name tag me so I can have a read trough. There will be some more minor updates coming up to address some of the concerns, like no sound in self mode (app should ignore the audio sink setting when running in self mode, but it doesn't so that's an error on me) and other small things.
    Hi guys.
    As you probably know I'm pretty busy with a major project which means way less time for XDA. Sadly as we know XDA Labs went down for a while, and there are many of you who have purchased the app on XDA Labs and not able to access it any longer.

For all those, you can now used the following link: https://www.b3itlabs.com/download.php you will need to fill in the paypal email address you used to make the purchase, the page will then generate a one time unique link which will be emailed to you.

Link will allow you to download to pick and download the APK.

As I've said all links are one time use only, so you won't be able to share those links, if you need to re-download the app, you will need to request a new link.

I will be adding checkout option to the website as well hopefully in the near future so new users can get a copy of the apps if needed.

If you need any support, please contact me directly by email.

P.S. I'm working on a new version, of HUR, still need to fix some bugs, but should be a pretty big step forward compared to previous version.
    Isn't that exactly what you just joined up to do?
    You didn't join to ask a question. You could have started with telling us what device and Android version you are trying to connect with/to, and perhaps someone could help you constructively.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

@googlebox:

Normally I try to take criticism in a positive and constructive way and I try to improve my service I'm providing.
    Also when you bought the app you did bought support with it as well, indeed the app help button brings you to this thread as 99% of the issues/problems/solutions have been discussed in here, but in case you are still lost or not sure, you can at any given time shoot me an email and normally I reply in max 24 hours. If there is one thing I pride myself with is that I really do my best and try to go the extra mile to give support to all users, which is sometimes an extensive and exhausting thing to do, and this will be reflected in the reviews as well.

Now to echo the above quote, without actually saying what is the problem, where are you stuck, what have you done, it's really hard to give you any guidance.
    Judging from your comment, I'm guessing that you try to connect the 2 devices over WiFi but maybe I'm wrong and you try to connect them over a USB cable, while I don't like to be arrogant, I will make an exception this time. The LAYMAN, will understand to have Android Auto wireless in a car it will cost him $500+ if he/she goes to buy a Kenwood/Pioneer receiver and then pay another $100+ for fitting. The layman won't try to cut the corner and have some tablet fitted into the dashboard trying to mirror the screen, that is not a layman any more. So if you do consider yourself a layman, please feel free to go and pick up a unit which can offer you the desired solution, I will refund you the app price no problem so you can spend it on that solution.

I have never ever refused a refund from anyone even if they used the app, if they weren't happy with it, I even send copies away for free, when some users contacted me that they can't afford it, I've spent sometimes hours with users on different issues and support, in some rear cases I drove down to personally help out the users so your comment, really made it personal and I think this is the very first time I took a comment personal. So to answer you in a question, RTFM if you can't manage tough luck shoot me an email and I'll refund you.
    Once again I do apologise for the harsh language.