[Android 4.1+]Proxy/GateWay for Android Auto

Search This thread

GO0LDY

Nov 20, 2021
I have tried this, and so far the car doesn't recognize AA as being active at all when connecting the Slave phone, only when my newer phone is connected via USB.
Try below steps and update us

1. Link ur master to the car with usb cable (just to let the car recognize ur phone)

2. Donwload Aastarter from Olivluca page on github on Master and open it

3. Download aagateway from the same page and leave 1st option as is "listening mode"

4.open hotspot on slave even no sim card inside and wifi on master and connect

5.attach ur slave to the car with usb cable if a prompt msg appears, select always use aagateway

6. Now it should connect wirelessly and some confirmations should appear on phone and car

*If the wireless connection happend u can now follow below steps to just use master hotspot and internet

1. Close aastarter app no need anymore
2. Open AA developer settings and Start Headunit Server
3. Open aagateway on slave and change 1st option to "connecting mode"
4. Open wifi on slave and hotspot on master and once connection done plug ur slave via usb cable to the car and the same wireless connection should happend

Last edited:

Pioneer4x4

May 7, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

1. Link ur master to the car with usb cable (just to let the car recognize ur phone)

3. Download aagateway from the same page and leave 1st option as is "listening mode"

5.attach ur slave to the car with usb cable if a prompt msg appears, select always use aagateway

6. Now it should connect wirelessly and some confirmations should appear on phone and car

*If the wireless connection happend u can now follow below steps to just use master hotspot and internet

4. Open wifi on slave and hotspot on master and once connection done plug ur slave via usb cable to the car and the same wireless connection should happend
Thanks for the reply! I'll putz some more for sure, but before I get that far, step 4, it will not let me...
1638713679545.jpeg

And I love this old Note3, I have a triple battery on it, and with everything off it will last 82 days between charges!

Pioneer4x4

May 7, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

OK, since I can't do a true hotspot, I found a hotspot app which appeared to work. My Master (new phone) connected to the WiFi on the Slave (old phone, no sim)
Nothing happened at step 5, also, clarification, on step 3, which phone/device should aagateway be installed on Master or Slave? If Master, it wouldn't install, but I will try again.

GO0LDY

Nov 20, 2021
OK, since I can't do a true hotspot, I found a hotspot app which appeared to work. My Master (new phone) connected to the WiFi on the Slave (old phone, no sim)
Nothing happened at step 5, also, clarification, on step 3, which phone/device should aagateway be installed on Master or Slave? If Master, it wouldn't install, but I will try again.
Aa gateway should be installed on slave
Ana also hotspot should be from slave as per step 4

wyt18

On AA 6.7, I used to have this working perfectly, including Screen2Auto over AAGateway

Since AA forced an update to 6.9/7.0, the wireless connection via AAGateway starts to stutter, and Screen2Auto crashes the moment I start using an app that streams video (like YouTube)

Anyone else experienced this and any fixes to share? thanks!

TF666

Oct 28, 2013
Since Google announced they're going to kill off AA, is there actually any replacement app on the phone side which would enable us to send data from apps like Sygic over AA protocol to the head unit in the car?

I've got a question about the Olivluca.
Does it turn on and off the Hotspot? 🤔 Because mines the Hotspot stays on. And mine note 2(slave) the battery drains.
Now with covid19, we don't drive the car sometimes for couple days. So it's empty when I'm in the car.

Khanhtx

Mar 19, 2021

hi, i had tried many ways, almost can be connect AA, almost func can be use but only google assistant can not use when hotspot on 2.4Ghz, GA all time recognize incorrect. When i changed to 5Ghz recognize not good, sometime recognize incorrect, when i connect with wire, all thing is normal

Anyone have this trouble. And how to fix it?

And when i use slave is hotspot, it not have internet, how to config master connect to internet. I had turn on switch to mobile data with master

Screenshot_20211225-142000_Settings.jpg

Hi all,
Connected to car using banana pi m2 zero board as slave. But for some reason no music apps or other app available. Does anyone know what is wrong? If I connect telephone using through cable everything fine.
i also use BPI M2 zero too, i connect ok, every thing is ok only trouble with google assistant and connect internet when slave is hotspot

Last edited:

gullzway

Nov 17, 2007
On AA 6.7, I used to have this working perfectly, including Screen2Auto over AAGateway

Since AA forced an update to 6.9/7.0, the wireless connection via AAGateway starts to stutter, and Screen2Auto crashes the moment I start using an app that streams video (like YouTube)

Anyone else experienced this and any fixes to share? thanks!
I somehow just found this App last night but have been using Screen2Auto for close to a year.
Working great for me, couldn't believe it first time no issues. I have the latest Android Auto from the Playstore 7.1.614574 and used the new AAEASE method to install Screen2Auto. Tried Netflix, YouTube, IPTV and all work with no stuttering or app crashing.

tgrosz

Jan 14, 2022
  • Master is running Pie or above and slave is tethering:
    1. Running in root mode: slave yes, master no
    2. If running in non-root mode, is the splashscreen visible on the car:
    3. If running in non-root mode, did you set the masters BT inside AAGW app?:
    4. Did the slave actually turned on the hotspot on the slave: yes
    5. On the master did you select the slaves BT in the Wifi Launcher app?: yes
    6. When the master connected to the car's BT did the Wifi launcher app started up?: yes
    7. Did the master connected to the slaves hotspot?: yes
    8. Did the AA icon appeared on the master at all (in the notification bar)?: no
Redmi 2 with Lineage OS is the slave, rooted. Redmi Note 10 is the master.
When I attach the slave, nothing happens on car screen. The slave defaults to only charging through USB, when I change this to anything then the car screen shows the usual 'connect to android auto' message - but nothing else happens on either phone.
I changed the default USB mode to file transfer, now when I connect slave then car displays the connect android auto message, but still nothing else happens. The master is connected to slave's hotspot, AA is not started. If I start AA now manually, then it works on phone screen - but car does not see any AA connection

Last edited:

ronnie141

Dec 1, 2014
Any solution for this?

My master is a OnePlus 9 pro OOS 12 whereas the slave is a ROOTED Redmi Note 3 AEX (11). I've tried every combination and in non rooted mode nothing even happens at all. The screenshot below is from the rooted mode.

TIA

Screenshot_2022-01-25-19-45-10-91_31f2d1fb8a9cb6537600cbf449362b94.jpg

north3221

Dec 22, 2011
I've been playing with this quite a bit recently, got some old phones laying round, rooted a couple of them and set to work getting it set up in both our cars. Ran into the usual issues people have talked about around getting it to connect etc, but managed to get it working. I ended up using @lipippo aastarter and aagateway with the udp method. The main issue/reason is timing seems to be everything.

Using aastarter I had some success, although took a fair few attempts. What I have found (as many have started) is the following and I now have a solution for all of them and seem to have it running pretty smoothly (few final tweaks to do)
  • Only works when connected to hotspot on slave (I have had zero success with slave connected to master) but given for aa to work wirelessly it expects to connect TO the headunit, so makes sense
  • The timing that works can vary based on phone used as a slave and head unit.
  • Because the master has to connect wirelessly to slave (which is unlikely to have internet) you lose internet access (see below for fix)
  • I don't think it needs to be rooted to work, like lipippo said, I'll maybe try verify this with another old phone that isn't rooted (albeit root helps with me automating all this)
  • Having two people try use it (myself and wife and two cars, each drive both cars and could be in car together) means that whoever phone connects first wins. The other person likely ends up connected to a hotspot with not internet.
  • Different head units seem to work very differently, like one of my cars powers on the usb and bluetooth when you walk up to it, so the slave and master think everything is ready, but really it cant fire up aa until the car is started and headunit display is on, it just rejects it prior.
So to solve all that I forked the aastarter and aagateway lipippo created and made some mods (tbf I didn have it working reasonably well without my mods). Mostly stripping stuff out to leave me with ipv4 and the trigger to come from tasker (not the gateway app). Doing this means I can automate it all in tasker, which gives me a little more control to check certain things and trigger when those things are true, play with timings on different devices and also manage re-retying if its not connected for some reason.

Its also meant I can have a set up that works on both mine and my wife's phone. Its still a first come first served kinda thing, but it sets up a primary and secondary master. Then if the primary disconnects the slave tells the secondary that its now available and it becomes the primary. i.e. both get in car, my phone grabs primary slot, we drive somewhere, I get out, wife carries on.. my phone disconnects and slave tells wife's (secondary) device that gateway is now available for primary use... connects, she now has aa.. :)

Then finally the no internet issue.. So I've worked out a few different ways to solve this, varying in difficulty/success. First off I was playing with mobile data only apps, like @Rag3 mentioned, albeit the issue is they are always on mobile data, and like Rag3 pointed out you tasker cant turn mobile data on and off on non-root device (most masters aren't rooted). Well tasker can if you use adb wifi, bit of a faff to set up but got it set up and automated re enabling after reboot..

However, I found a better way, not requiring the adb wifi complexity. Albeit, between the above and this method I upgraded to android 12, so not sure if it works on older (but suspect it will). Tasker (if you give it the correct write secure settings permission) can update which apps use mobile data only, so I just get it to set those apps when I connect to aagateway and reset back to no apps using mobile data only after. With a little task that updates the list if I change which ones I want to use.

Finally I figured a better solution would be to use a proxy. So I set up apache on my device (using termux and termux tasker plugin to run it). so now when I connect to aagateway in the car, tasker triggers the proxy (and I have the proxy set in the advanced wifi config for that connection) and all traffic is routed via the proxy instead of to the slave device.. doesn't allow incoming, so no push notifications to whatsapp etc, but all outbound internet apps work (google assistant, maps, spotify etc etc). So I combines the two, just add a few apps that need inbound, plus termux for apache proxy) as mobile data only via tasker when I connect to slave hotspot. All seems to work pretty well, and fun trying :)

You could also use a vpn, I tried that and worked well. I have a vpn set up at home anyway so already have it on my phone. I use open vpn for android, if you set that to use mobile data only and route all apps through the vpn, they all have internet via mobile, while your devices is connected to slave hotspot. I just figure this could slow suff down, where as proxy will give me whatever mobile data speed I have available. If you already have a vpn set up though, could be an easy option for you

Lots of words there, but if people are interested in the set up I'll upload my stuff to git and taskernet for reuse..

Big thank you to @Emil Borconi for this, it really is awesome!

wyt18

I've been playing with this quite a bit recently, got some old phones laying round, rooted a couple of them and set to work getting it set up in both our cars. Ran into the usual issues people have talked about around getting it to connect etc, but managed to get it working. I ended up using @lipippo aastarter and aagateway with the udp method. The main issue/reason is timing seems to be everything.

Using aastarter I had some success, although took a fair few attempts. What I have found (as many have started) is the following and I now have a solution for all of them and seem to have it running pretty smoothly (few final tweaks to do)
  • Only works when connected to hotspot on slave (I have had zero success with slave connected to master) but given for aa to work wirelessly it expects to connect TO the headunit, so makes sense
  • Because the master has to connect wirelessly to slave (which is unlikely to have internet) you lose internet access (see below for fix)
  • I don't think it needs to be rooted to work, like lipippo said, I'll maybe try verify this with another old phone that isn't rooted (albeit root helps with me automating all this)
  • Having two people try use it (myself and wife and two cars, each drive both cars and could be in car together) means that whoever phone connects first wins. The other person likely ends up connected to a hotspot with not internet.
  • Different head units seem to work very differently, like one of my cars powers on the usb and bluetooth when you walk up to it, so the slave and master think everything is ready, but really it cant fire up aa until the car is started and headunit display is on, it just rejects it prior.
So to solve all that I forked the aastarter and aagateway lipippo created and made some mods (tbf I didn have it working reasonably well without my mods). Mostly stripping stuff out to leave me with ipv4 and the trigger to come from tasker (not the gateway app). Doing this means I can automate it all in tasker, which gives me a little more control to check certain things and trigger when those things are true, play with timings on different devices and also manage re-retying if its not connected for some reason.

Its also meant I can have a set up that works on both mine and my wife's phone. Its still a first come first served kinda thing, but it sets up a primary and secondary master. Then if the primary disconnects the slave tells the secondary that its now available and it becomes the primary. i.e. both get in car, my phone grabs primary slot, we drive somewhere, I get out, wife carries on.. my phone disconnects and slave tells wife's (secondary) device that gateway is now available for primary use... connects, she now has aa.. :)

Then finally the no internet issue.. So I've worked out a few different ways to solve this, varying in difficulty/success. First off I was playing with mobile data only apps, like @Rag3 mentioned, albeit the issue is they are always on mobile data, and like Rag3 pointed out you tasker cant turn mobile data on and off on non-root device (most masters aren't rooted). Well tasker can if you use adb wifi, bit of a faff to set up but got it set up and automated re enabling after reboot..

However, I found a better way, not requiring the adb wifi complexity. Albeit, between the above and this method I upgraded to android 12, so not sure if it works on older (but suspect it will). Tasker (if you give it the correct write secure settings permission) can update which apps use mobile data only, so I just get it to set those apps when I connect to aagateway and reset back to no apps using mobile data only after. With a little task that updates the list if I change which ones I want to use.

Finally I figured a better solution would be to use a proxy. So I set up apache on my device (using termux and termux tasker plugin to run it). so now when I connect to aagateway in the car, tasker triggers the proxy (and I have the proxy set in the advanced wifi config for that connection) and all traffic is routed via the proxy instead of to the slave device.. doesn't allow incoming, so no push notifications to whatsapp etc, but all outbound internet apps work (google assistant, maps, spotify etc etc). So I combines the two, just add a few apps that need inbound, plus termux for apache proxy) as mobile data only via tasker when I connect to slave hotspot. All seems to work pretty well, and fun trying :)

You could also use a vpn, I tried that and worked well. I have a vpn set up at home anyway so already have it on my phone. I use open vpn for android, if you set that to use mobile data only and route all apps through the vpn, they all have internet via mobile, while your devices is connected to slave hotspot. I just figure this could slow suff down, where as proxy will give me whatever mobile data speed I have available. If you already have a vpn set up though, could be an easy option for you

Lots of words there, but if people are interested in the set up I'll upload my stuff to git and taskernet for reuse..

Thanks for sharing... would be great to try out your mod apks

GO0LDY

Nov 20, 2021

Thanks for your efforts.. for the data connection problem you mighy easily use a vpn app called Speedify, it is working like sharm and no need to do extra efforts with this if you are using slave hotspot, the app will choose automatically the data connection available to run other apps even if the slave does not include a sim card.. and also you will still keeping the aagateway running smoothely

north3221

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for your efforts.. for the data connection problem you mighy easily use a vpn app called Speedify, it is working like sharm and no need to do extra efforts with this if you are using slave hotspot, the app will choose automatically the data connection available to run other apps even if the slave does not include a sim card.. and also you will still keeping the aagateway running smoothely
Hey, thanks. Yeah I did look at speedify actually, my issue was lack of control to set it only when I connect to aa. There are ways to do that via tasker but I never like the screen craping type approach. I couldn't leave it on all the time due to the 2GB monthly cap and it wasn't worth the £9.99 a month to sign up to premium for me.

I always judge this stuff by how confident am I it will just work for the wife if I am not there, any risk it could go wrong and I bin it :)

Unless I didn't give it enough of a chance? Would be good to know your experience, if I haven't tried it properly.

north3221

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for sharing... would be great to try out your mod apks
No worries - I never loaded em to git... was too busy playing locally.. I'll sort in next few days and share link

If you cant Lipippo's working you are unlikely to get mine working, mine just let you have a bit more control of when to connect and use an intent to trigger (which I do in tasker).

GO0LDY

Nov 20, 2021
Hey, thanks. Yeah I did look at speedify actually, my issue was lack of control to set it only when I connect to aa. There are ways to do that via tasker but I never like the screen craping type approach. I couldn't leave it on all the time due to the 2GB monthly cap and it wasn't worth the £9.99 a month to sign up to premium for me.

I always judge this stuff by how confident am I it will just work for the wife if I am not there, any risk it could go wrong and I bin it :)

Unless I didn't give it enough of a chance? Would be good to know your experience, if I haven't tried it properly.
I am using the other method of connection to have hotspot from the master (no need for speedify at this point), using aagateway in connecting mode, the only pitfall is that you need to activate "headunit server" daily

Here is my older post

Post in thread '[Android 4.1+]Proxy/GateWay for Android Auto' https://xdaforums.com/t/android-4-1-proxy-gateway-for-android-auto.3813163/post-86042945

Reactions: mikeho63

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background
    - Couple of years ago Google have launched Android Auto, but up till recently the only way to connect your device to the car/head unit was to plug in a USB cable. As of 2018 this starts to change, BUT it looks like you will need to get new hardware for this and older cars/head units won't be upgraded to support this, neither phones with older OS.

Concept
    - Since many of us will like to have this wire free but not ready / willing or have the possibility to upgrade the units/cars/phones I have thought of a way to achieve this, by using a small auxiliary device, like for example a very cheap and basic Android TV stick, which can be plugged in/mounted in the car and which can fulfil the roll of a Wifi antenna for your car.

This app should allow you to transform any android powered device into a Wifi receiver for your Android Auto compatible Car/Headunit. Please do not confuse Android Auto, with Android powered headunit (usually Chinese, like MTCB, MTCD, Joying, etc).

AAGateWay Documentation.

Beta released (04.01.2020)

What is it?

AAGateWay is a an app which should allow you to use an auxiliary (slave) device to connect your existing Android Auto compatible car to your phone (master) using a hotspot created on your phone.

How to use it?

SLAVE SETUP

1) Install the app using XDA Labs (Only on SLAVE) : https://www.b3itlabs.com/prod.php?id=3
    2) Configure

• FOR BOTH ROOTED AND NOT-ROOTED SLAVES
      • CASE 1: Master is running Pie or higher
        1. Pair Master and Slave over BT (do this from the normal BT settings)
        2. Open app
        3. If slave is ROOTED and ONLY if you are using a TV STICK convert the app to system app. (if app not visible after conversion, reboot device)
        4. Enable the start tethering option (If asked make sure you manually configure the hotspot, to have the name HUR and the password AndroidAutoConnect)
        5. Select the masters phone BT MAC
        6. Exit
      • CASE 2: Master is running Android 8 or lower
        1. Create a Wifi hotspot from the master
        2. Connect slave to it
        3. Reopen AAGateWay and select the masters hotspot from the "Phone Wifi SSID" list
    • Slave is ROOTED - This will give a much bigger compatibility with cars, it should work with any car/unit (but depends a lot on the slave used, read below)
    • Slave is NOT ROOTED - This mode won't work on all cars and it has caveats.

MASTER SETUP

• CASE 1: Master is running Pie or higher
      1. Install WiFi Launcher for HUR (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borconi.emil.wifilauncherforhur)
      2. Make sure WiFi Launcher is version 2.1 or higher!!!
      3. Open WiFi Launcher
      4. FOR Android 10, set permission location to ALWAYS!!!!!!
      5. Select slaves BT from the BT list and exit
      6. DO NOT ENABLE ANY OF THE OTHER OPTIONS!!!!
    • If you do not want to use WiFi Launcher you can use the following Tasker task to launch AA on any condition you want: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UO-Z5P0oQpHEdrQjYqvSM48L1TI-K5g8/view?usp=sharing
    • CASE 2: Master is running Android 8 or lower
      1. Open Android Auto, go to Settings, scroll down tap the version 10 times, then from the 3 dotted top right corner select start headunti server.
      2. Exit Android Auto
      3. Leave the Headunit Server running
      4. When you get into the car turn on the hotspot on the master (or use Tasker, automate or anything else do that for you)

CONNECTING
    • Go to the car, plug in the slave to the car's USB and start the car
    • Slave is ROOTED
      • Nothing should happen, car should NOT detect the phone (SLAVE) at this stage. If the car does detect the slave being connected, it means your slave doesn't allow a proper USB toggle, in which case you should try enabling non-root mode.
      • Master is Pie and above
        1. If you selected to tether from the slave, at this point you should see the slave turning on the hotspot, otherwise you might see the slave trying to connect to a Wifi network.
        2. Slave will notify master
        3. Master will automatically start WiFi Launcher
        4. Master will connect to slaves hotspot
        5. Master will start AA on the phone and notifies slave
      • Slave will enable USB
      • If you are using a phone as slave you will get a prompt if you want to use AAGW as the default app for this action, make sure you select ALWAYS ans yes. (TV stick should work automatically)
      • Projection should start
    • Slave is NOT-ROOTED (or running in non-root mode)
      • You will get a prompt to use AAGateWay for this action, make sure you select always.
      • Car should display a splah-screen saying waiting for master. (on some car's screen you might see a scrambled image)
      • After splash-screen is displayed, the slave will start tethering, or will try to connect to the masters hotspot depending on the setting.
      • Once a network connection is established between the 2 devices, you will see the AA icon turning on on the master and Android Auto should be displayed on the car's screen. It is possible that the screen will stay /turn black, if that happens, you can try to press the home button on the infotainment system, then re-open Android Auto on it.

Troubleshoot and getting help

As the thread has so much information it will be really nice if we can try to stick to one format of troubleshooting, by using one of this 2 templates:

• Master is running Pie or above and slave is tethering:
      1. Running in root mode: (Yes/No)
      2. If running in non-root mode, is the splashscreen visible on the car: (Yes/No)
      3. If running in non-root mode, did you set the masters BT inside AAGW app?: (Yes/No)
      4. Did the slave actually turned on the hotspot on the slave: (Yes/No)
      5. On the master did you select the slaves BT in the Wifi Launcher app?: (Yes/No)
      6. When the master connected to the car's BT did the Wifi launcher app started up?: (Yes/No)
      7. Did the master connected to the slaves hotspot?: (Yes/No)
      8. Did the AA icon appeared on the master at all (in the notification bar)?: (Yes/No)
    • Master is running Oreo or below and master is tethering:
      1. Running in root mode: (Yes/No)
      2. If running in non-root mode, is the splashscreen visible on the car: (Yes/No)
      3. If running in non-root mode, did you set the masters BT inside AAGW app?: (Yes/No)
      4. Did you select the masters hotspot name in AAGW?: (Yes/No)
      5. Have you started the Headunit server on the master?: (Yes/No)
      6. On the master did you select the cars BT in the Wifi Launcher app?: (Yes/No)
      7. When the master connected to the car's BT did the Wifi launcher app started up (notification bar)?: (Yes/No)
      8. Did the master turned on the hotspot?: (Yes/No)
      9. Did the slave connected to the masters hotspot?: (Yes/No)

• Getting rid of all automation and manually starting it all (regardless of Android version on master and slave):
      1. Uninstall AAGW on the master
      2. Start the headunit server from within Android Auto on the master
      3. Create a hotspot on the master
      4. Open AAGW on the slave and make sure it's not set to tether
      5. in AAGW make sure you select the masters hotspot
      6. If AAGW is set to non-root mode make sure you select the masters BT (just press the button AAGW will do a BT scan of nearby devices and you can pick it from the list)
      7. Go to the car and plug the slave in
      8. Start the car
        • If slave is running in ROOT mode, slave will first try to connect to the masters Wifi and you will see a notification on the master that AA is running, only then the car should recognise a plugged in device.
        • If the slave is running in non-root mode, first you will see a splash screen on the car, then you will see slave connects to masters Wifi (if not already connected), then you will see AA starting on the master.
    • How do I collect a bug report / logcat
      1. Open Settings > About phone.
      2. Scroll down to the Build number.
      3. Tap the Build number 7 times in quick succession until "You're now a developer" appears.
      4. Return to the Settings menu and select Developer options.
      5. At the top of the screen, make sure 'Developer options' is set to On (green).
      6. Scroll down to Debugging and enable both USB debugging and Bug Report Shortcut on (green).
      7. Tab on Logger buffer sizes: Default setting is 256K. Select 16M to help capture more information for debugging. Of note, it can affect the apps performance especially with lower spec phone, so change it back after you have finished submitting bug reports.
      8. On slave make sure you enable debugging inside AAGW, on master open Android Auto go to developer settings and make sure force logging is enabled.
      9. Reproduce the problem
      10. Hold the Power button down until the menu appears.
      11. Select Take bug report. and wait for the device to capture the bug report.
      12. Tap the 'Bug report captured' notification when it appears.
      13. Send the bug report by email to borconie@gmail.com

Know problems, workaround:
    • - Latency & lag. This will be really down to the devices you are using. I have tested it with a MK808B Plus, it work’s ok most of the time but occasionally you will get the odd lag. I’ve also tested it with a Nexus 7 tablet, and there was no lag at all, so device does matter, as well as probably ROM.
    • - I get random disconnection. There can be 2 causes for this, one the USB connection fails between the car and the auxiliary device, or the Wifi fails between the phone and the auxiliary device. In my tests I saw a few Wifi disconnections without any reason on the MK808, but non on the Nexus. Changing the tethering option from WPA2 to Open did help with this.
    • - App is closed without error or reason. The app runs in a background process, with a minimal interaction with the foreground, some devices/OS will kill background apps. I saw this happening on Nokia and I saw this happening on OnePlus as well. Try disabling battery optimisation for AAGateWay, that might help.
    • - I just cannot get it to work… Try using a phone, that will at least give you some visual guidance. Make sure that your device connects to the phone Wifi hotspot, make sure that AA Headunit server is running on the phone (try to force stop Goolge Play Services, stop and restart the headunit server)… All fails contact me
    • - Nothing happens on the master, using Wifi Launcher for HUR app. In this case, try to manually start the headunit server on the master, and manually turn on a hotspot, then reconfigure you're slave to connect to the masters hotspot (even if the master is running Pie or higher).

Device compatibility:
    Master:

Any phone which normally works with Android Auto

Slave with ROOT:
    • - Tested and know to work: - MK809V, Nexus 7 (depending on rom), Sony X Compact (depending on rom)
    • -Tested and not working as expected: Pixel 2, MK808B
    • - While root is necessary, not all phones can toggle USB port on and off by software. And there can be other problems, for example on some devices when you turn off the USB the phone loses the ability to detect the power connection as well, which is use as trigger to start the whole process. It is almost impossible to predict if a phone will be a good slave candidate or not.

Other things
    - Xiaomi phones (MIUI makes a mess), try not to use it for Slave
    - Generally older phones (pre oreo) are more likely to work fine as a slave device.

Any suggested slave?
    - Yes, use an MK809V TV stick, as the experience with it, is pretty slick and it should work out of the box. If you get a MK809IV try to get the one with Android 5.1.1 as the one with Android 7.1 has problems with the tethering.

FAQ.
    Q: Can I use this with any car and phone combination?
    A: Assuming your car is already Android Auto compatible, then YES.

Q: Can I also automate the start of the Headunit server?
    A: Only with a rooted phone, using the following shell command: am startservice -W com.google.android.projection.gearhead/com.google.android.projection.gearhead.companion.DeveloperHeadUnitNetworkService

Q: Can I use Wifi-Direct to connect instead of WIfi?
    A: No.

Q: Does the traffic come out from my monthly data allowance?
    A: NO, traffic between auxiliary device and phone hotspot does NOT count as internet traffic, HOWEVER if you do have other apps on the auxiliary device which download updates, etc in the background that WILL be counted as internet traffic. So I suggest double check the apps on the aux device and disable all those which aren’t needed.

Q: Will the car/head unit provide enough power?
    A: It should provide at least 500mA that’s the standard USB current, while I cannot guarantee that will be enough in all cases, it should do, assuming you do turn off all unneeded services on the TV stick.

Q. What about start up time?
    A. It will depend a lot on the device you are using. A low-entry TV stick boot time is about 1 minute, which can be a bit too much for an initial car setup. As mentioned earlier, these devices usually have 2 USB ports, you can for example connect the power USB port to a continues power supply in the car, in which case the boot time will be non-existent since the device is always running. If you are using a phone, the phone battery will probably hold the charge just fine for a couple of days, if you disable all apps on it and you set up a profile to go into aeroplane mode when it’s not charging. Tasker or Automate are your friends for that. If you cannot connect the TV stick to a continues power source, you might consider using a small portable power pack which powers the tv stick (should hold power for a few days) and the power pack can be charged while the car is running.

Q. Can I decrease boot time for TV Sticks/Phones by removing all unrelated software.
    A. Yes, actually quite a lot. Once you have your configuration ready and everything is working as expected, you can uninstall/disable all packages beside this ones:
    • package:android
    • package:com.android.apkinstaller
    • package:com.android.providers.settings
    • package:com.android.packageinstaller
    • package:com.notriddle.null_launcer (or any other launcher, but NULL launcher has no memory consumption, no app drawer no nothing, perfect for headless - see: https://github.com/notriddle/null-launcher )
    • package:com.android.inputmethod.latin
    • package:com.android.settings
    • package:uk.co.borconi.emil.aagateway
    • package:com.android.shell
    • package:com.android.systemui
    Easy way to list / disable all apps will be using a computer and following commands
    Code:
     adb shell pm list packages
    This will list all installed packages
    Code:
     adb shell pm disable xxxx
    where you replace xxxx with the package name (Ex: com.android.shell )

Q. Will using Wifi 5Ghz give me better performance?
    A. Well if both of your devices support it, SURE!

Q. Is the source code available?
    A. Sort-of, please see: https://github.com/borconi/AAGateWay this is only for the sketch, however new version does contain code which lift restrictions on 3rd party apps in Android Auto. To prevent the abuse of this by some, further code won't be updated to GitHub, however if you want to build your own version, please do contact me for details.

Guarantee or Warranty
    - Due to the fact that there are so many possibilities and combinations of cars, head units, slave and master devices, there is no way for me to test all of them, however if you did purchase the software and you are not able to get it to work for any reason, please email me on borconie@gmail.com and I'm more then happy to refund the purchase.

Teaser:
    Good news, I've made the breakthrough I needed on the slave side, waiting for more confirmations but looks very promising.
    If all goes well I should be able to update the app on the next week or so, possibly to RC or stable state.
    Updates from the Netherlands, CP & EB IT is officially opened :) next week I will start the work on the promo video then Kickstarter campaign is on....
    Just got off the phone with the guys who are going to shoot the promo video, we should have that by no later then 23rd of August done, so I really hope that by that day the kick-starter will be live.
    Hi guys.

Sorry to be radio silent, indeed I was relatively busy with HUR and OBD2AA as well as other non Android Auto related work. Today I have finally managed to push out a stable release for HUR, and obd2aa is also doing pretty well, so in the next period I will continue to develop the AAGateWay, that being said my schedule looks like this:

- This weekend, working all weekend, preparing photos from 5 different events across the UK so that will tied me up till Tuesday
    - Wednesday morning hitting the road (travelling to Romania - 3 days road trip)
    - I'm not sure how much I will be in Romania
    - October 20 I'm flying to the States for 2 weeks.

So as you can see I will be quite a lot on the road, but I will take my Sony headunit and some dev tools with me to Romania and will carry on working, my target is to have a stable version of this app before I fly to the states.

I will try to put together a list of most common problems I saw here and wishes tomorrow so you can all see and know what's happening as well as input new ideas if you have any.