• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Keyboard

Search This thread

Rusl1TA

Last edited:

taqulic

Aug 8, 2010
Did you use the flashable zip or apk? Apk doesn't work for me :/
I just installed using the apk.. and set to default in settings.

I tried it with stock 4.1.2 and it threw an error up, 'file with same name already exists'...
Still playing with that one.
edit: works with stock 4.1.2 (flash the zip)..It took a couple of reboots
To show up. Could have been my fault though, I uninstalled all the keyboards
With titanium backup, then flashed the zip.

Last edited:

brizey

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks for the up. Liking it so far. Wish it would give more guesses than three like swipe does, bur so far so good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

JaSauders

Aug 10, 2011
So far I'm digging it. I've always been a little on the fence with swipe style keyboards on tablets because I have a tendency to tilt the tablet in a weird way. I'm going to force myself to use this for a while to see how things go. Thanks for the link!

Edit- I will say this... as somebody who likes to switch between swipe and standard typing, having both on the same keyboard is pretty much awesome.

Edit again- not to be a Debbie downer but I hope the final version has better prediction... Swift key still takes the cake from what I'm seeing. Perhaps in time with using it, it'll learn...after all, this keyboard learns as you type, no?

Example if I type "hibhello" sometimes it thinks that's what I meant. Other times "hi hello" is listed off to the side in the predictions list and not primary like it should be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

JaSauders

Aug 10, 2011
Dumb question - Google claims the current 4.2 keyboard is not finalized yet. I'm on Android 4.1.2, rooted, and installed the .zip through recovery mode.

When my official OTA 4.2 update comes down, will it thereby automagically replace my pre-released 4.2 keyboard with the finalized 4.2 keyboard? I'd assume yes, but I'd rather ask than not know. :good:

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Dumb question - Google claims the current 4.2 keyboard is not finalized yet. I'm on Android 4.1.2, rooted, and installed the .zip through recovery mode.

When my official OTA 4.2 update comes down, will it thereby automagically replace my pre-released 4.2 keyboard with the finalized 4.2 keyboard? I'd assume yes, but I'd rather ask than not know. :good:

A couple things.

First, if you intend to just flash the OTA update (either through the updater app or recovery) it will fail. This is because the update is a bunch of patches, and the first step it does is verify the checksum of many files - including all the ones it intends to patch. If it is looking for the 4.1.x keyboard apk and it's been replaced with the 4.1.2 keyboard, it will fail the checksum verification and abort. So, depending on how stock your system is, you may have to revert it back first OR just download and flash the full 4.1.2 image (easier).

The patch method will not work, but the full image install will - and yes it will 'upgrade' you to the full and released version.

Reactions: R3dbeaver

JaSauders

Aug 10, 2011
A couple things.

First, if you intend to just flash the OTA update (either through the updater app or recovery) it will fail. This is because the update is a bunch of patches, and the first step it does is verify the checksum of many files - including all the ones it intends to patch. If it is looking for the 4.1.x keyboard apk and it's been replaced with the 4.1.2 keyboard, it will fail the checksum verification and abort. So, depending on how stock your system is, you may have to revert it back first OR just download and flash the full 4.1.2 image (easier).

The patch method will not work, but the full image install will - and yes it will 'upgrade' you to the full and released version.

I'm completely stock and rooted. I've changed nothing else aside from installing the AndroidKeyboard4-2.zip in the recovery mode. That's all I did. I just wanted to make sure that if I get the OTA update that whatever keyboard I'm using is the new "final" keyboard and not the "as of October 30th" keyboard.

Thanks for the info! :good:

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
I'm completely stock and rooted. I've changed nothing else aside from installing the AndroidKeyboard4-2.zip in the recovery mode. That's all I did. I just wanted to make sure that if I get the OTA update that whatever keyboard I'm using is the new "final" keyboard and not the "as of October 30th" keyboard.

Thanks for the info! :good:

NP. I'm fairly stock too, outside of being rooted, custom kernel and custom recovery. I'll probably install the beta keyboard tonight.

So if I attempt the OTA patch, it will fail as well, unless I restore *everything* to stock (outside of root). It's easier to just download the full image from Google, apply it via fastboot, and re-install recovery/root/kernel afterwards.

Top Liked Posts