Android 4.3: Reverting to google talk from hangout

Search This thread

mgl888

Oct 26, 2011
Any way to revert to the google talk app from google hangout in 4.3?
I tried to manually install the gtalk apk, but it won't install. :(

sberends

Mar 14, 2008
Seriously thinking of going back to 4.2.2

This hangouts app is terrible compared to gTalk. Is there any way I can install it on 4.3 without having to get root?

Ezekial

Feb 6, 2011
I am interested in this as well. My wife hates hangouts and her GNex is not rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

joke

Jan 13, 2007
Google Talk from 4.2.2 can not be installed any more

First thing that I tried after updating my Nexus to JB 4.3 was to remove Hangouts and install back Google Talk from JB 4.2.2 but with no success. Application can not be installed any more. If anyone find solution for reverting back to Google Talk on JB 4.3 please let us to know. Hangouts are really terrible :(

gogol

May 20, 2005
Anyone got a link to working Talk.apk for 4.3?

I uninstalled Hangouts.apk using Root Explorer (EStrongs), then I copied Talk.apk to /system/app

Set the permission to rw-r--r--

Reboot

It works, I got Talk notification ...

But, the Talk app is not shown in the app gallery :(

UPDATE:
Wiped Dalvik cache and Cache, doesn't help :(

Last edited:

mrrtys

Feb 2, 2011
Talk working

Guys im on stock 4.3 and rooted.

I was also playing around to get talk back... and i got it running "version 4.1.2-485486" even video call and sound is working just tested it.

what i did was download de gapps "gapps-jb-20121011-signed" deleted everything inside i dont want so just system\app and the lib files are in there.

Flashed it with twrp and it worked.

Got the zip here you can flash it but make a backup just in case.

Code:
http://speedy.sh/bcNdM/gapps-jb-20121011-signed-Talk-working.zip

And with titanium backup you can detach talk from the market so you wont get the update notification for hangouts.

Last edited:

kazyaffka

Jul 26, 2010
please more details for newbies dear sir

I was also playing around to get talk back... and i got it running "version 4.1.2-485486" even video call and sound is working just tested it.

what i did was download de gapps "gapps-jb-20121011-signed" deleted everything inside i dont want so just system\app and the lib files are in there.

And with titanium backup you can detach talk from the market so you wont get the update notification for hangouts.

Could you please provide more details what my steps should be to "flash it with twrp"? After I root my nexus 4 (which is well documented, I just looked up) and downloaded twrp & your gapps version. Thanks a lot in advance.

bleets

Nov 22, 2011

Code:

Yep, that worked for me however i got the latest version of gapps for 4.2.2 instead of 4.1.2, slightly updated version of gtalk...dont know what the difference was.

Before i flashed gapps though i uninstalled hangouts with titanium...don't know if that was neccessary...also can't detach talk from the market without the paid version of titanium...maybe i should get that, i still have credit left from when i got my nexus 7 last year :)

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Could you please provide more details what my steps should be to "flash it with twrp"? After I root my nexus 4 (which is well documented, I just looked up) and downloaded twrp & your gapps version. Thanks a lot in advance.

If you've installed twrp, when the tablet is on put the zip file on the sd card, reboot into recovery (twrp), select install, navigate to the sdcard folder and select the gapps zip file. it should install.
i also go to advanced and fix permissions after, don't know if it's needed or not.
I also used titanium to uninstall hangouts first, again i dont know if i needed to do this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

*edit*
    reuploaded file - found the part that was deleting gmail & search & removed it, hopefully this version is better.
    Talk working

Code:

Working and probability the simplest solution 4 now

as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

This method worked for me, with the difference:
    Used Super Manager (free from the market) with root access, to delete the system application - hangouts (bad-bad application) - before deleting it signed out (enter hangouts app, go to settings and sign out before uninstall !!!)
    then downloaded the attached zip file, then flashed it with clockworkMod (recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img)
    (the recovery clockworkmod is not installed on my phone I run it everytime from image trough [fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img ] command.
    rebooted, and all is working fine.

Thank you for the suggestion and [gtalk-signed.zip]
    Any way to revert to the google talk app from google hangout in 4.3?
    I tried to manually install the gtalk apk, but it won't install. :(

Wait, you deleted hangouts, then tried to install talk as a system app and it didnt work?
    Wait, you deleted hangouts, then tried to install talk as a system app and it didnt work?

Oops I thought they were two separate apks.
    Deleted hangout with root and installed gtalk. Worked like a charm. Thanks!!