Android 4.3: Reverting to google talk from hangout

Search This thread

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
So now I'm running in to the issue. Since I flashed back to Google Talk, now the OTA doesn't install.

had to reflash my tablet before I could do the restore. Found the part of my original file that removed system files & removed it, hopefully I (or anyone else) won't have issues.

Last edited:

ashish0304

Feb 10, 2011
To get back talk working on nexus cm 10.2:

Before flashing cm 10.2, my nexus was on aokp 4.2.2. I took backup of talk using Titanium Backup. After flashing CM 10.2 I just restored it using tatanium backup. It is working perfectly.

Reactions: lulli1

lulli1

Dec 12, 2011
To get back talk working on nexus cm 10.2:

Before flashing cm 10.2, my nexus was on aokp 4.2.2. I took backup of talk using Titanium Backup. After flashing CM 10.2 I just restored it using tatanium backup. It is working perfectly.

Tried the same, coming from cm10. But TB was restoring a long time the gtalk app without success on cm10.2.
My cm10.2 rom is a odexed one. cm10 was deodexed. I think this could be the problem.
Any suggestions?

ashish0304

Feb 10, 2011
I am not sure about odexd/odexed.
But I am sure that if it is official CM 10.2 nightly then you have to re-root it properly, using SuperSU from playstore.

lulli1

Dec 12, 2011
TB did it, now! Thanks a lot.
My mistake was, to try to restore the app data as well. This won´t work in different roms. Restoring only the app itself worked....STRIKE!

fattest

Jul 28, 2012
not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but if you are doing a fresh install you can delete Hangouts.apk from the gapps zip file (system/app/Hangouts.apk) and drop the Talk apk in the zip file then it will be installed as a system app. Now if you accidentally update to hangouts from playstore you can uninstall the update and it will restore the talk app.

Caraculisimo

Dec 28, 2012
Installing GTalk on CM 10.1-20131009 (4.2.2)

Hi.

I have installed an unofficial CM 10.1-20131009 on my Galaxy S3 mini where I as suggested installed the "gapps-jb-20130812". That version of gapps doesn't have GTalk and installing Hangouts doesn't give the possibility of reverting to Talk.

After trying all suggestions in this and other threads without any luck (also tried installing the apk) I decided to try an older version of gapps. I found that the gapps-jb-20121212 includes Talk and installing that package solved it for me. Talk is now working :laugh:

Hope that this can be useful for others.

Last edited:

Mocsokba

Feb 19, 2009
Polgárdi
as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

*edit*
reuploaded file - found the part that was deleting gmail & search & removed it, hopefully this version is better.

Thx for the help. It's work by me.

1. download zip file
2. Flash it in CWM
3. Reboot
4. and i use it :D
:good:

THX one more

jackuphill

Sep 22, 2013
online status incorrect after flashing Gtalk on jb4.3

as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

*edit*
reuploaded file - found the part that was deleting gmail & search & removed it, hopefully this version is better.

Thanks. Your method worked (SGnex stock 4.3) only that Titanium backup failed to remove but 'Root App Uninstaller' could.

However my online status is reported as offline on my friends mobile, even though I change my status to online:( probably the status is not being relayed properly. Any help to have it corrected appreciated

Wooba99

Dec 20, 2011
So what are people upset about these days? It was seeing if people are online or offline, that's fixed..

Not really. After 4.3 I reverted my nexus 10 back to 4.2.2 just to get talk back. I've now installed kit kat and am back to hangouts. The "online" feature of hangouts only shows if the person has talk/hangouts active. It doesn't show if THEY are active. This may not seem like a big deal but when you have people on different work schedules or time zones, it's really important to know if the person is actually on their device - as talk did.
Hangouts is absolute junk and a complete mess.

fizmixa

Apr 1, 2012
can someone tell/show me how to get past the "/system/app/hangouts.apk" has unexpected contents error when trying to update to kit kat? thanks.

burleanu

Jan 8, 2007
Cluj-Napoca
Anybody has seen that recently on nexus 7 4.3 Gtalk doesn't connect anymore?
I have 2 nexus and both of them have same problem.
One is Stock 4.3 (except gtalk) and the other CM 10.2.
Both of them are blocked to connect to gtalk.
On HTC Sensation with 4.1.2 I have no problem.
Anyone have seen this?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

Falcon4ever

Nov 30, 2008
Not really. After 4.3 I reverted my nexus 10 back to 4.2.2 just to get talk back. I've now installed kit kat and am back to hangouts. The "online" feature of hangouts only shows if the person has talk/hangouts active. It doesn't show if THEY are active. This may not seem like a big deal but when you have people on different work schedules or time zones, it's really important to know if the person is actually on their device - as talk did.
Hangouts is absolute junk and a complete mess.

Yea, same here, working with people from different timezones and it is nice to see if they're really online. Also, having the invisible mode available is nice (during night time or while driving so messages do get delivered and not just into the gmail inbox)

Did anyone managed to get it to work with 4.4 kitkat?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

*edit*
    Talk working

Guys im on stock 4.3 and rooted.

I was also playing around to get talk back... and i got it running "version 4.1.2-485486" even video call and sound is working just tested it.

what i did was download de gapps "gapps-jb-20121011-signed" deleted everything inside i dont want so just system\app and the lib files are in there.

Flashed it with twrp and it worked.

Got the zip here you can flash it but make a backup just in case.

Code:
    http://speedy.sh/bcNdM/gapps-jb-20121011-signed-Talk-working.zip

And with titanium backup you can detach talk from the market so you wont get the update notification for hangouts.
    Working and probability the simplest solution 4 now

This method worked for me, with the difference:
    Used Super Manager (free from the market) with root access, to delete the system application - hangouts (bad-bad application) - before deleting it signed out (enter hangouts app, go to settings and sign out before uninstall !!!)
    then downloaded the attached zip file, then flashed it with clockworkMod (recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img)
    (the recovery clockworkmod is not installed on my phone I run it everytime from image trough [fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img ] command.
    rebooted, and all is working fine.

Thank you for the suggestion and [gtalk-signed.zip]
    Any way to revert to the google talk app from google hangout in 4.3?
    I tried to manually install the gtalk apk, but it won't install. :(

Wait, you deleted hangouts, then tried to install talk as a system app and it didnt work?
    Wait, you deleted hangouts, then tried to install talk as a system app and it didnt work?

Oops I thought they were two separate apks.
    Deleted hangout with root and installed gtalk. Worked like a charm. Thanks!!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone