Android 4.3: Reverting to google talk from hangout

Search This thread

tnt533

Oct 30, 2007
I'm curious how did you get your gtalk to work? I deleted my hangout installed gtalk and it just keeps trying to sign in. Im running 4.3

Same issue here. Uninstalled Hangouts with TB and then installed gtalk by sideloading an apk. It opens but just spins forever stuck trying to login to my account

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

I'm curious how did you get your gtalk to work? I deleted my hangout installed gtalk and it just keeps trying to sign in. Im running 4.3

Same issue here. Uninstalled Hangouts with TB and then installed gtalk by sideloading an apk. It opens but just spins forever stuck trying to login to my account.

Edit: after a reboot the app now works fine.

yugimonster

Nov 24, 2013
Same issue here. Uninstalled Hangouts with TB and then installed gtalk by sideloading an apk. It opens but just spins forever stuck trying to login to my account

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Same issue here. Uninstalled Hangouts with TB and then installed gtalk by sideloading an apk. It opens but just spins forever stuck trying to login to my account.

Are you running on 4.3 or 4.4?

ms.journie

Jan 2, 2013
Are you running on 4.3 or 4.4?

I'm running 4.3

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

What is slideloading an apk? Does that mean you moved it to your system apps? If so, I've already done that and restarted my phone and still no luck. :crying:

xakou

Dec 26, 2010

i have the same problem.....
Google Talk trying to login...... but nothing....

My phone is Galaxy S2 with 4.3.1

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
I am having the same problem
I used root explorer to remove hangouts
copy in talk and set permissions
reboot to recovery
wipe dalvik and cache
reboot
still just gets stuck spinning.

guifort

Mar 30, 2007
Hello,

Same issue for me with 4.3 or 4.4 but after an upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.3 (OTA) and reflash Talk.apk from recovery it's work. (With 4.3 not 4.4) Strange ?

I think if I wipe device I can't login to talk.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Hello,

Same issue for me with 4.3 or 4.4 but after an upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.3 (OTA) and reflash Talk.apk from recovery it's work. (With 4.3 not 4.4) Strange ?

I think if I wipe device I can't login to talk.

diamondcanopy

Mar 2, 2009
Looks like they are somehow blocking Talk sign in on purpose. What a bad move, totally speechless.

In the mean time, does anyone have any jabber client recommendations?

I can't seem to find one that actually syncs conversations between desktop and phone. The only other features that mattered to me are being able to see status of other people, and being able to set myself to invisible. IM+ seems to be pretty close, but as far as I can tell you cannot sync conversations between devices :(

diamondcanopy

Mar 2, 2009
Ok--I'm just going to bump this because the Xabber solution is not really a solution at all. Talk had the critical function that you could move between devices and the conversations would be synced between them. As far as I can tell no Jabber client can do this (please, please let me know if I'm overlooking an app here). Right now I am using both Hangouts and Xabber so that I can make sure to have the full conversation (using Hangouts) as well as determine if someone is idle/away (using Xabber). I do miss being able to go invisible... Sometimes you want to be able to chat with one person (or two, even) without being interrupted by others, ya know?

I would be totally willing to tolerate the abysmal UI of hangouts if I could just have this basically functionality back. Anyone have any new ideas on this?

Oct 20, 2012
Auckland
Looks like they are somehow blocking Talk sign in on purpose. What a bad move, totally speechless.

This is where it gets interesting. I have CM 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) running on my Samsung Galaxy Tab and luckily, Talk still works there. Hangouts is still unusable: it's the ONLY app on my SGS that's laggy (apart from Skype) and doesn't show me as online (green indicator). It would be nice to find out which part of 4.3/4.4 blocks Talk from signing in and remove that code. Google can cry us a river about "innovation", I just want Talk back! Does anyone know a way to investigate an Android app's running process more closely similar to how one would do it on Ubuntu/Debian (look at log files, strace, etc.) so we can locate the roadblock?

diamondcanopy

Mar 2, 2009
This is where it gets interesting. I have CM 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) running on my Samsung Galaxy Tab and luckily, Talk still works there. Hangouts is still unusable: it's the ONLY app on my SGS that's laggy (apart from Skype) and doesn't show me as online (green indicator). It would be nice to find out which part of 4.3/4.4 blocks Talk from signing in and remove that code. Google can cry us a river about "innovation", I just want Talk back! Does anyone know a way to investigate an Android app's running process more closely similar to how one would do it on Ubuntu/Debian (look at log files, strace, etc.) so we can locate the roadblock?

Yeah, it seems like there must be some way to do this. Unfortunately I wouldn't even know where to start.

guaycuru

Jan 31, 2012
Ok so I got GTalk to sign in on my Android 4.3.
Here are all the steps I did, and I have no idea which ones are really necessary:

1) Removed Hangouts.apk from system/app and data/app, and removed gms core from system/app
2) Flashed gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip entirely (without removing anything)
3) Uninstalled all updates of Google Play Store and Google Play Services, and disabled auto update on Google Play Store
4) Tried to sign in -> no success
5) Updated gtalks to hangouts using play store
6) Signed into Hangouts, then signed out
7) Uninstalled updates to hangouts, so it reverted back to GTalk
8) Tried to sign in on GTalk and it worked!

Hope it helps someone else!

Reactions: dimm0k

conypaul

Sep 27, 2010
Talk will not Sig in

Here are all the steps I did, and I have no idea which ones are really necessary:

1) Removed Hangouts.apk from system/app and data/app, and removed gms core from system/app
3) Uninstalled all updates of Google Play Store and Google Play Services, and disabled auto update on Google Play Store

NOT WORKING FOR ME :-/ on Note 3

Any other Solution ?
Best regards

pamma83

Jul 18, 2010

how do you flash the gapps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

*edit*
    reuploaded file - found the part that was deleting gmail & search & removed it, hopefully this version is better.
    Talk working

Guys im on stock 4.3 and rooted.

I was also playing around to get talk back... and i got it running "version 4.1.2-485486" even video call and sound is working just tested it.

what i did was download de gapps "gapps-jb-20121011-signed" deleted everything inside i dont want so just system\app and the lib files are in there.

Flashed it with twrp and it worked.

Got the zip here you can flash it but make a backup just in case.

Code:
    http://speedy.sh/bcNdM/gapps-jb-20121011-signed-Talk-working.zip

And with titanium backup you can detach talk from the market so you wont get the update notification for hangouts.
    Working and probability the simplest solution 4 now

as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

This method worked for me, with the difference:
    Used Super Manager (free from the market) with root access, to delete the system application - hangouts (bad-bad application) - before deleting it signed out (enter hangouts app, go to settings and sign out before uninstall !!!)
    then downloaded the attached zip file, then flashed it with clockworkMod (recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img)
    (the recovery clockworkmod is not installed on my phone I run it everytime from image trough [fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img ] command.
    rebooted, and all is working fine.

Thank you for the suggestion and [gtalk-signed.zip]
    Any way to revert to the google talk app from google hangout in 4.3?
    I tried to manually install the gtalk apk, but it won't install. :(

Wait, you deleted hangouts, then tried to install talk as a system app and it didnt work?
    Wait, you deleted hangouts, then tried to install talk as a system app and it didnt work?

Oops I thought they were two separate apks.
    Deleted hangout with root and installed gtalk. Worked like a charm. Thanks!!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone