• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android 4.3 WiFi Issue

Search This thread

stevensoaj

Jul 2, 2012
Since I've updated to Android 4.3 on my Galaxy Nexus (Maguro), I've noticed an issue with the WiFi. Sometimes, when entering the range of a known WiFi network, my device doesn't automatically connect, as if it doesn't know I'm in range or hasn't scanned for the WiFi networks nearby. This issue has been reported on the official Google Bugs tracker here. -->

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=58230

If you have this issue, please visit this link and star/report it so that Google will know. For now, I've found a few ways to resolve the problem, and wanted to share them.

Solution 1: When I go into Settings < Wi-Fi to view the WiFi networks, I notice that at first it shows the network I'm trying to connect to as "Not in range," but then it immediately connects to it.

Solution 2: I also found that turning WiFi off completely, and then back on again allows my device to see the network and connect.

Both solution 1 and 2 are manual fixes. While both are easy to do, they require you to actually take action to reconnect to your network. This can cause you to miss notifications, etc. if you aren't aware of what's going on. I didn't like that too much, so I made a simple Tasker profile to help.

Solution 3: This requires a little bit of knowledge about Tasker, but I'll try to explain it well enough that anyone can get the profile setup and working.

First we will create a Task called "Wifi fix." This task will have 2 simple actions.
  • Disconnect Wifi
  • Reconnect Wifi

Now we need to create a profile to trigger the task. I'll name it "Wifi Fix Profile."
This is going to have 3 context triggers that all have to be met before it will execute our Wifi fix task, all are state contexts.
  • First we will use Wifi State Connected, with the Invert Checkbox checked
  • Then, Variable value "%WIFI" matches "on". Both "%WIFI" and "on" are case sensitive, so be careful.
  • Lastly, Display State "ON". This one is optional. I added it because I don't want wifi constantly disconnecting/reconnecting while my phone is asleep if I'm not near a network. So instead, the profile can only trigger while I'm actually using the phone.
After that, all you need to do is go into Profile Settings (by long pressing the profile name) and set a cooldown. I use 5 minutes, you can use anything (or nothing) you want.

Basically, what this profile does is when your wifi is on but not connected to a network, then it forces a scan for wireless networks by disconnecting, then reconnecting wifi. Simple, and it works.

Theory:
Now that we have a workaround, back to the problem. Based on the solutions listed, namely solution number 1, I believe that the problem lies with how often/ when WiFi networks are scanned for. This could be due to the new WiFi Setting Google added in 4.3, "Scanning always available". It has been reported that disabling this does not fix the issue, but I haven't tried it myself. I also tried changing the wifi scan interval in build.prop, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Hope this helps some of you!

Last edited:

geckocavemen

Feb 28, 2011
I had problems with Wi-Fi on 4.2 so I just got in the habit of expecting Wi-Fi to be a little wonky and haven't paid much attention to it on 4.3. Have you noticed the same issue on custom roms as well? I'm running slim bean is why I ask.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
Can someone please verify for me, so I know its not just me, that network speed tests using speedtest.net are erratic and performance is horrible when bluetooth is on and connected. My theory is also that it continually gets worse over time to the point that your wifi begins to actually stutter and stall.

stevensoaj

Jul 2, 2012
I had problems with Wi-Fi on 4.2 so I just got in the habit of expecting Wi-Fi to be a little wonky and haven't paid much attention to it on 4.3. Have you noticed the same issue on custom roms as well? I'm running slim bean is why I ask.

Yes, I do have the issue on both custom and the stock factory image. I am also currently on Slim Bean Beta 1 (it's my favorite), but I also had the issue on Cataclysm.

Can someone please verify for me, so I know its not just me, that network speed tests using speedtest.net are erratic and performance is horrible when bluetooth is on and connected. My theory is also that it continually gets worse over time to the point that your wifi begins to actually stutter and stall.

I would test this for you, but I don't have a bluetooth device to connect to. Sorry, maybe someone else can test this?

stevensoaj

Jul 2, 2012
Well, I haven't done it because I don't know how, but I would be glad to if someone could point me in the right direction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Nexusaurus

Jul 14, 2012

FlickFlack

Nov 15, 2009
Hamburg
I also have this problem with my GNex running CM10.2 nightly 0708. It is a real shame that google introduces a new bug in 4.3.
Android 4.2 suffers from a similar bug and they never fixed it and promised to fix this in 4.3 and now we encounter a new one :crying:

The 4.3 problem is already tracked here https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=58230 I think.

Will test your tasker profile and report if it works. From your description it sounds like a good workaround for this bug.

Reactions: stevensoaj

Big ZD

Oct 6, 2011
I also have this problem with my GNex running CM10.2 nightly 0708. It is a real shame that google introduces a new bug in 4.3.
Android 4.2 suffers from a similar bug and they never fixed it and promised to fix this in 4.3 and now we encounter a new one :crying:

The 4.3 problem is already tracked here https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=58230 I think.

Will test your tasker profile and report if it works. From your description it sounds like a good workaround for this bug.

Can it truly be verified as a bug if it's not stock 4.3? Not trolling...just asking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

stevensoaj

Jul 2, 2012

OP edited with link to Official Google Bug tracker, thanks for finding this!

I also changed up the tasker profile to disable wifi and then enable it again instead of just disconnecting and reconnecting. Seems to work better.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaiyoto123

FlickFlack

Nov 15, 2009
Hamburg
I promised to give feedback for testing the tasker profile. After 3 days I am sure that the tasker profile described in OP is working fine.
For me it is a good workaround. But I am still hoping that google will fix the problem, because for normal users this must be a real annoying bug.

Reactions: stevensoaj

memnoc

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2011
I'm not experiencing any dropping issue..I'm curious about one thing anyway, all of the guys are experiencing dropping issues are actually running latest bootloader and latest radio? did you change RIL? latest means from 4.3 jrr update, and RIL well, you tell me..

stevensoaj

Jul 2, 2012
I'm not experiencing any dropping issue..I'm curious about one thing anyway, all of the guys are experiencing dropping issues are actually running latest bootloader and latest radio? did you change RIL? latest means from 4.3 jrr update, and RIL well, you tell me..

It's not a "dropping" issue, but rather a reconnecting issue. When entering range of a known, configured WiFi network, our devices don't connect to the network automatically.

As far as being on the latest, bootloader, radio, and RIL, yes, I am. I flashed the factory image way before flashing any 4.3 custom firmware, and I had the issue there, as well as on the custom firmware.

Reactions: memnoc

stevensoaj

Jul 2, 2012
OP edited with link to Official Google Bug tracker, thanks for finding this!

I also changed up the tasker profile to disable wifi and then enable it again instead of just disconnecting and reconnecting. Seems to work better.

Scratch that. A little more testing and I'm back to the initial, disconnect then reconnect wifi net. What do you guys think?

memnoc

Feb 23, 2011
It's not a "dropping" issue, but rather a reconnecting issue. When entering range of a known, configured WiFi network, our devices don't connect to the network automatically.

As far as being on the latest, bootloader, radio, and RIL, yes, I am. I flashed the factory image way before flashing any 4.3 custom firmware, and I had the issue there, as well as on the custom firmware.

Well, I believe we have a radio/ril issue here.. I saw this happening multiple times during years.. Update to new fw, new radio, new ril, poor/problematic connection...sure the problem here is a bit weird but, is well known that a certain radio module doesn't work in the same way in every part of the planet, same goes for its interface libraries..I honestly don't know why you and many others flash a factory image when a new Fw pops up..if it's a matter of having the latest stuff, OK, but if someone claims it is mandatory then it's absolutely pointless and 100% wrong..the hour before 4.3 appeared on Goole platform I extracted the system image and booted a working ROM.. That's it..I will never ever flash a factory image unless it is a matter of sending my device to the manufacturer for repairing...so I currently have old radio, old ril, old bootloader, new 4.3 roms, and I don't have the issue...of course it is just a theory, and could be 100% unrelated but it is worth trying another radio, possibly with its ril but this last thing doesn't really matter on a nexus device...bootloader afaik it is not related with radio module so i wouldn't change it but the point is that the radio gives different performance according to the zone where it is used..edit: I just flashed latest radio, all is fine..this could be both a proof of my theory is wrong or right...I would try If I were you.

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 4

stevensoaj

Jul 2, 2012
Well, I believe we have a radio/ril issue here.. I saw this happening multiple times during years.. Update to new fw, new radio, new ril, poor/problematic connection...sure the problem here is a bit weird but, is well known that a certain radio module doesn't work in the same way in every part of the planet, same goes for its interface libraries..I honestly don't know why you and many others flash a factory image when a new Fw pops up..if it's a matter of having the latest stuff, OK, but if someone claims it is mandatory then it's absolutely pointless and 100% wrong..the hour before 4.3 appeared on Goole platform I extracted the system image and booted a working ROM.. That's it..I will never ever flash a factory image unless it is a matter of sending my device to the manufacturer for repairing...so I currently have old radio, old ril, old bootloader, new 4.3 roms, and I don't have the issue...of course it is just a theory, and could be 100% unrelated but it is worth trying another radio, possibly with its ril but this last thing doesn't really matter on a nexus device...bootloader afaik it is not related with radio module so i wouldn't change it but the point is that the radio gives different performance according to the zone where it is used..edit: I just flashed latest radio, all is fine..this could be both a proof of my theory is wrong or right...I would try If I were you.

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 4

I'm going to try a different radio now because I'm curious, but I wasn't aware that the radio had ANYTHING to do with wifi. I thought the radio was only the mobile radio. Was I mistaken?

memnoc

Feb 23, 2011
I'm going to try a different radio now because I'm curious, but I wasn't aware that the radio had ANYTHING to do with wifi. I thought the radio was only the mobile radio. Was I mistaken?

yes, you was, my friend; radio has everything to do with gsm/umts, wifi/bluetooth connections...it is exactly what a radio module does in the phone, to be precise, radio.img is that piece of software that virtually connect the radio chipset hardware with the basic software..the RIL (radio interface layer) instead, is what connect the software previously mentioned with the actual OS (the rom), but I read somewhere it is not so important in aosp roms, while it very important in other OS, propietary ones, like HTC (that has a specific RIL different from the asop one)...
You probably know it as "baseband", which is how google used to define it..in samsung environment is a.k.a as "modem" , whatever you call it, we are talking about the same thing, I keep calling it "radio" because of the old froyo times we learned to call this way, since changing the baseband it's just changing the radio.img..now, be very careful, flashing this kind of stuff may brick your device IF something goes wrong in the flashing process..however, I flashed tons of radios, and I've never experienced any hard brick..here on maguro we have the opportunity to fash it from recovery which is what I suggest you to do, so you'll avoid any issue whatsoever, and remeber, it may not be related to your problem but, as I stated before, radio module controls all the wireless signals, included network/provider frequencies, their range, and their geo-location, as well as bluetooth, and anything communicate wirelessly into your phone, it's worth to give it a shot in my opinion..here some extra info for you:

RIL info
http://www.netmite.com/android/mydroid/development/pdk/docs/telephony.html

radio module info

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/70/what-is-radio-firmware
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1462360
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1930844

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I've updated to Android 4.3 on my Galaxy Nexus (Maguro), I've noticed an issue with the WiFi. Sometimes, when entering the range of a known WiFi network, my device doesn't automatically connect, as if it doesn't know I'm in range or hasn't scanned for the WiFi networks nearby. This issue has been reported on the official Google Bugs tracker here. -->

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=58230

If you have this issue, please visit this link and star/report it so that Google will know. For now, I've found a few ways to resolve the problem, and wanted to share them.

Solution 1: When I go into Settings < Wi-Fi to view the WiFi networks, I notice that at first it shows the network I'm trying to connect to as "Not in range," but then it immediately connects to it.

Solution 2: I also found that turning WiFi off completely, and then back on again allows my device to see the network and connect.

Both solution 1 and 2 are manual fixes. While both are easy to do, they require you to actually take action to reconnect to your network. This can cause you to miss notifications, etc. if you aren't aware of what's going on. I didn't like that too much, so I made a simple Tasker profile to help.

Solution 3: This requires a little bit of knowledge about Tasker, but I'll try to explain it well enough that anyone can get the profile setup and working.

First we will create a Task called "Wifi fix." This task will have 2 simple actions.
    • Disconnect Wifi
    • Reconnect Wifi

Now we need to create a profile to trigger the task. I'll name it "Wifi Fix Profile."
    This is going to have 3 context triggers that all have to be met before it will execute our Wifi fix task, all are state contexts.
    • First we will use Wifi State Connected, with the Invert Checkbox checked
    • Then, Variable value "%WIFI" matches "on". Both "%WIFI" and "on" are case sensitive, so be careful.
    • Lastly, Display State "ON". This one is optional. I added it because I don't want wifi constantly disconnecting/reconnecting while my phone is asleep if I'm not near a network. So instead, the profile can only trigger while I'm actually using the phone.
    After that, all you need to do is go into Profile Settings (by long pressing the profile name) and set a cooldown. I use 5 minutes, you can use anything (or nothing) you want.

Basically, what this profile does is when your wifi is on but not connected to a network, then it forces a scan for wireless networks by disconnecting, then reconnecting wifi. Simple, and it works.

Theory:
    Now that we have a workaround, back to the problem. Based on the solutions listed, namely solution number 1, I believe that the problem lies with how often/ when WiFi networks are scanned for. This could be due to the new WiFi Setting Google added in 4.3, "Scanning always available". It has been reported that disabling this does not fix the issue, but I haven't tried it myself. I also tried changing the wifi scan interval in build.prop, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Hope this helps some of you!
    Can it truly be verified as a bug if it's not stock 4.3? Not trolling...just asking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

I think so. Have a look at the link I posted. There are different ROMs and devices used. Mostly stock ROMs.
    I had the same problem with the wifi autoconnect but now it seems solved, at least for me.

I enabled Google Now and the wifi autoconnect started working fine. After that i disabled Google Now and the wifi is still autoconnecting.

I know this seems a bit ridiculous, but you can give it a try. :)
    wifi issue fix

Hi everyone,
    I may have found the issue with the WiFi and it may not be a bug in 4.3.

I managed to log into my router and found that my device (Galaxy Nexus), was the only device connecting on 5hz.
    All the other devices, Galaxy S3, PlayStation etc were on 2hz.
    I checked my WiFi settings on my phone and the connection was on Auto, this was changed to 2hz only.
    Since then I have not experienced the issue with WiFi dropping, bars greying out etc.
    Only been an hour so far on the net with no problems.
    Hopefully this is what is causing the issue with everyone else, maybe too simple to be true, but it appears to have sorted the problem for me.
    Good luck.