Android 5.0 L for Z3

Search This thread

zujko

Aug 6, 2011
Zagreb
Greeting, if anyone knows when it will be available to Android 5.0 for Xperia Z3?
Something was discussed, it should come this year or next (Q1/2015)... It would be good if Sony starts thinking forward about the new android L...
Or we'll get a new update on Z3, while out new Z4..

Reactions: efalis

Ben Ling

Recognized Themer
Nov 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Greeting, if anyone knows when it will be available to Android 5.0 for Xperia Z3?
Something was discussed, it should come this year or next (Q1/2015)... It would be good if Sony starts thinking forward about the new android L...
Or we'll get a new update on Z3, while out new Z4..

Wait for Sony to announce their update roadmaps in the next few days

BrendenDonaher

Dec 31, 2012
Halifax
Good news. I will be holding onto my Nexus 5 until Christmas then, usually the carriers have devices on sale around then and also my upgrade fee will be less. SAWEEET!

electrash

Aug 31, 2011
Mali Lošinj - Rijeka
So that means we will get it 3 months from when the nexus devices get theirs. Its not fast update but its on par with other OEM's i guess.

LOOL.... Nexus get out 6 of november, lollipop will land few days later on older nexus and GPE version of phone.
So it means sony have just one and half month to bring it to Z3 if they want to realease it for Z3 series, and you say its slow?
And for compare
Code:
HTC One (M7) - Android 5.0 Lollipop update in 90 days
HTC One (M8) - Android 5.0 Lollipop update in 90 days
HTC One mini - Android 5.0 Lollipop update, schedule TBA
HTC One mini 2 - Android 5.0 Lollipop update, schedule TBA

Motorola have 4-5 phones, samsung few phones, lg 2 maybe and sony will update entire Z series.

This is briliant

payaxy

May 16, 2010
Prague
Chance for better 3rd party camera apps?

Since several of the features in 5.0 look quite interesting for photography purposes, any guesses if these could be used for better 3rd party camera apps?

As seen on http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/ :

A range of new professional photography features for Android Lollipop that let you

Capture full resolution frames around 30 fps
Support raw formats like YUV and Bayer RAW
Control capture settings for the sensor, lens, and flash per individual frame
Capture metadata like noise models and optical information

Reactions: mattlawk

viking2.0

May 10, 2011
LOOL.... Nexus get out 6 of november, lollipop will land few days later on older nexus and GPE version of phone.
So it means sony have just one and half month to bring it to Z3 if they want to realease it for Z3 series, and you say its slow?
And for compare
Code:
HTC One (M7) - Android 5.0 Lollipop update in 90 days
HTC One (M8) - Android 5.0 Lollipop update in 90 days
HTC One mini - Android 5.0 Lollipop update, schedule TBA
HTC One mini 2 - Android 5.0 Lollipop update, schedule TBA

Motorola have 4-5 phones, samsung few phones, lg 2 maybe and sony will update entire Z series.

This is briliant

Sony states 5.0 will be released beginning of 2015. So assuming its end of Jan or early Feb then it is 3 months from the release of 5.0 to nexus devices. This could be the time frame for all the other OEM's except motorola which might release it in december. I would call that fast. I knew this before buying the device so i am not really bothered about it.

Reactions: mattlawk

Richie5767

Oct 19, 2014
So will there be any changes for an update for Z3 to Lollipop? When I had a Samsung/HTC update to 4.0, there weren't any major changes. Will the Z3 be able to run ART with even better battery saving capabilities? Anyone know what features might be added? Im interested to know if there will be any major changes, or if I should just wait for a Z4/Nexus 6 that will have the latest features instead of getting a slimmed down update.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
So will there be any changes for an update for Z3 to Lollipop? When I had a Samsung/HTC update to 4.0, there weren't any major changes. Will the Z3 be able to run ART with even better battery saving capabilities? Anyone know what features might be added? Im interested to know if there will be any major changes, or if I should just wait for a Z4/Nexus 6 that will have the latest features instead of getting a slimmed down update.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

If I read it correctly ART is the default runtime in lollipop so yeah... Guess it'll be able to run ART. And nobody knows what the exact changes will be... only sony.

zoomee

Sep 24, 2007
Hudds
Sony states 5.0 will be released beginning of 2015. So assuming its end of Jan or early Feb then it is 3 months from the release of 5.0 to nexus devices. This could be the time frame for all the other OEM's except motorola which might release it in december. I would call that fast. I knew this before buying the device so i am not really bothered about it.

Aye, let the Nexus users be the guinea pigs and do the testing for us - hopefully by that time it will be bug free is the way I see it ;)

Reactions: sruba209

iBuzman

Mar 7, 2011
Melbourne
Sony Xperia XA2
rooting lollipop may need a custom kernel ? (according to chainfire) this will make bootloader unlock and drm issue all the more interesting hehe

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
Wow, I am positively surprised that even my Xperia tablet z will get official lollipop. I thought that Sony was supposed to be bad at updating. Compared to my old Asus I feel that I am treated like a princess.

Ah, yes, but because of the frequency of new models being released, it's easy to forget that the Z and Tablet Z actually only came out about 18 months ago - so are pretty much within the '18 month' window of getting supported.

sxtester

Sep 11, 2014
I actually don't want Android 5 / L before it has stabilized. KitKat needed 5 iterations to settle (remember all the connectivity issues up and including 4.4.3?!).
Hence, completly agree with zoomee, let Nexus users do some testing and Google do some fixes first :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Meanwhile on SONY company..........

original.jpg
    I've been following this thread for a while now, and with the chance of getting executed, im gonna give my opinion on this.
    I've owned Sony smartphones since the X10, and yes, Sony is not the fastest at updating, and yes, they did say that Lollipop would be released in february.
    But i did'nt buy the Z3 because of that. I bought it because i think it is a beautiful phone with some awesome hardware inside. Lollipop or Kitkat is not gonna change that.
    Right now, i'm pretty damned satisfied with how my phone is working, it's stable, good battery life, and it's snappy. I'm looking forward to lollipop, no doubt, but seriosly, it's not a dealbreaker for me.
    The phone is still an awesome device, and if i have to wait a week or two for lollipop, it will still be an awesome device for that week or two extra.
    All the people talking about selling their phones and buying a new phone from a company that is faster with updates should probably do that, because next time a new version of Android is being released, the story is most likely gonna repeat itself. Still, im sticking with Sony and my Z3, looking forward to my phone getting even more awesome with lollipop.
    Here are some screenshots!
    prerooted fw with modified dualrecovery should be up in 10 minutes.
    till then flash the modified dualrecovery direct after the posted FW. modified dualrecovery
    (unmodified dualrecovery probably doesnt work)
    Rest of the FW should (root aswell). But Backup before you try it

Ok, here is the prerooted FW with modified dualrecovery:
    D6603_23.1.A.0.690_Customized BAL-SuperSu2.46-lockeddualrecovery2.8.3modified-signed