Android 5.0 Lollipop memory leak fix for LG G Watch

Search This thread

arter97

Recognized Developer
Oct 14, 2012
Seoul
As you may know, there's a well-known Android 5.0 Lollipop issue - Memory leak.

Lots of community built ROMs out there has already applied the "supposed" fix.
Why not our LG G Watch?

For such devices which has a very long uptime, memory leaks are critical.
This "fix" should benefit to a "stabler" LG G Watch :)

Just throw the attached "services.jar" on /system/framework and reboot.
It'll rebuild all of the ART caches, so the initial boot after applying may take up to 15 minutes.
<Tested on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop build>

V2 - Support for Android 5.0.2 Lollipop build

Memory leak patches taken from
https://github.com/temasek/android_frameworks_base/commits/cm-12.0/services/core/java/com/android/server/display

Thanks to @temasek !!

Attachments

• services.jar
    4 MB · Views: 203
  • services_v2.jar
    4 MB · Views: 391
Last edited:

ciccio83q

Nov 26, 2009
Hello arter97. Thanks for your support. Could you please be so kind to tell us how to do it?
For your information, I am currently on Gohma 2.3 and to tell you the truth, with the wear mini launcher running on the background, the g watch sometimes feels unresponsive.
Thanks again for your patience

Moguledyouth

Oct 3, 2007
Can someone please post instructions for getting the zip file on to the watch so that it can flashed by TWRP. Or how to move the services.jar to the proper location on the watch with correct permissions. I have already searched the threads, however all I can find are how to sideload apps not move files.

*Update* Finally found what I needed, so here it is.

adb push services.zip /sdcard/services.zip

Last edited:

Apoplectic1

Aug 19, 2012
Orlando
Can someone please post instructions for getting the zip file on to the watch so that it can flashed by TWRP. Or how to move the services.jar to the proper location on the watch with correct permissions. I have already searched the threads, however all I can find are how to sideload apps not move files.

That's the one, though I usually do adb push services.zip /sdcard/Download/services.zip, but it makes no difference whether it's in the sdcard, or a subdirectory.

Reactions: nexuses

lparcshinoda

Apr 23, 2011
Terracina (LT)
www.arcweb.it

Why not our LG G Watch?

It'll rebuild all of the ART caches, so the initial boot after applying may take up to 15 minutes.
<Tested on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop LWX48P build>

https://github.com/temasek/android_frameworks_base/commits/cm-12.0/services/core/java/com/android/server/display

Thanks to @temasek !!

@arter97 is this fix also available for Nexus 5? I've used this - isn't it enough?

Thanks

Fird

Feb 4, 2010
Thank you! I'm waiting for an updated Ghoma release as I didn't see any sense in returning to stock to do the ota update, while it works its very smooth for me, in the mean time we'll see if this solves my crash about every-other day issue.

FYI if you're having trouble pushing the file directly to /system/framework I'd recommend placing it somewhere that doesn't require root privs to write to, such as /sdcard/Download and then doing an adb shell, su, remount system, and copying it from there into /system/framework. Make sure you back up your current services.jar in case something goes wonky.

--edit-- ERROR: caused watch to fall into a completely unresponsive state, though the time was still updating. Had to connect to usb and force a reboot with adb to break it out of whatever happened. Don't have time to diagnose further right now, reverted to stock services.jar for the moment. I'm not saying this is a general issue with this mod yet, just that it didn't work on my watch.

Last edited:

Lasiu

Aug 15, 2014
Im getting "read only file system" or something like that. Also cant get it to work with su commands. I'd appreciate if someone will make flashable zip for 5.0.2 update :D (im currently on stock recovery, but it can be changed easily with g watch tools)

Lasiu

Aug 15, 2014
Actually i made flashable zip myself (not sure if correct, but it worked). But considering fact that first "services.jar" which was uploaded for older version should replace file by same name in system/framework, shouldnt newest version be called "services" also? Now i ended up having in my framework folder "services_v2.jar" AND "services.jar". Should i rename this one with "v2"? Or is it intended to leave both of them?

buru898

Mar 13, 2008
RI
Actually i made flashable zip myself (not sure if correct, but it worked). But considering fact that first "services.jar" which was uploaded for older version should replace file by same name in system/framework, shouldnt newest version be called "services" also? Now i ended up having in my framework folder "services_v2.jar" AND "services.jar". Should i rename this one with "v2"? Or is it intended to leave both of them?
It's only services.jar. Rename the new one.

Lasiu

Aug 15, 2014
It's only services.jar. Rename the new one.

Thats what i did, working great, thanks! Do any of you by any chance know how to stop ota notification from appearing? (i tried going back to 5.0.1 after installing 5.0.2 but this notification appeared again :eek:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why not our LG G Watch?

<Tested on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop build>

V2 - Support for Android 5.0.2 Lollipop build

Thanks to @temasek !!

New V2 for 5.0.2 is now up.
    Sorry for stupid question. But some detail steps on how to push that service.jar would be great. I have no clue what am i supposed to do. :silly:
    Easiest way is to flash twrp, boot into recovery, go to mount and mount system.

Open command prompt on PC, and type.

adb push "C:\location\of\services.jar" "/system/framework/"

That's what I did anyway, and verified that it indeed was changed, although I don't think it rebuilt caches for me because it did boot up fast, but then again I did it from a factory reset watch.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone