Android 5.1.1 LMY48B finally the memory leak is solved!!

Search This thread

BorisDeviant

Jun 20, 2008
Lyon
Having the memory load increasing is not, in itself, a memory leak.

The Nexus 5 comes with 2 Gb of RAM, the goal is not to have memory load below 300 mb in every case (or you can buy a 512 mb-RAM smartphone)

The leak is a bug in memory management which increase memory load without any limit, thus slowing the device and crashing it. I did not experience this under 5.1 with Franco and stock kernel.

Last edited:

jzviagin

Aug 8, 2010
I can confirm that franco kernel does not solve the issue. For me the issue is easily reproduced by opening farm heroes saga and swiping it away, After a couple of times the system ram goes up to 1.4gig

Reactions: chrone

ChrKu

Nov 30, 2012
I can confirm that franco kernel does not solve the issue. For me the issue is easily reproduced by opening farm heroes saga and swiping it away, After a couple of times the system ram goes up to 1.4gig

This is kind of interesting. I wonder if the system management is to blame or apps themselves.

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
I found a solution. If you change the kernel (for example Franco kernel) all problems are solved.

did you write about this in bug tracker ? if not plz write so they can look where need to change some thing.

and btw to be frank i'm not having any memory leak or any other buy on 5.1 and i feels everything even better than KK also battery life is as good as KK after 5.1 for me :D

and finally did you do factory reset After flashing factory image ? if not do it , it seems unnecessary to lot of ppl to F.reset after fresh install but it does solve many problem so do it if you didn't and remember it for every time you flash the rom :good:

Reactions: BMXKing119

jlmcr87

Apr 18, 2011
did you write about this in bug tracker ? if not plz write so they can look where need to change some thing.

and btw to be frank i'm not having any memory leak or any other buy on 5.1 and i feels everything even better than KK also battery life is as good as KK after 5.1 for me :D

and finally did you do factory reset After flashing factory image ? if not do it , it seems unnecessary to lot of ppl to F.reset after fresh install but it does solve many problem so do it if you didn't and remember it for every time you flash the rom :good:

The same problem with franco kernel, bad luck.

To recreate the problem, simply start a game like Farm Heroes Saga, then close it by swiping away. For each time I do this the system memory increases 100mb or more until there is no more space and then cell phone stops responding. Additional I noticed than when I start Farm Heroes Saga for example the free memory on ‘Show Cache Processes’ is negative as can be seen on the print I took, and there is no free memory, this problem can be recreated even in the first minute after boot simply by starting the game.

Lannyx1

Sep 20, 2012
i don t know if is due to the memory leak but after 3 days (fresh factory image flash) i m facing the annoying launcher redraw and high system memory usage:780 mb with 1,2 gb of peak

The same problem with franco kernel, bad luck.

To recreate the problem, simply start a game like Farm Heroes Saga, then close it by swiping away. For each time I do this the system memory increases 100mb or more until there is no more space and then cell phone stops responding. Additional I noticed than when I start Farm Heroes Saga for example the free memory on ‘Show Cache Processes’ is negative as can be seen on the print I took, and there is no free memory, this problem can be recreated even in the first minute after boot simply by starting the game.

Reactions: joytsay and chrone

templar54

Jul 30, 2012
I dont want to create a seperate thread so I am asking here. Got Nexus 5 a few days ago, started reading about 5.1 update and memory leak issue. Tried to update to 5.1 but gave up(usb driver issue). Today I noticed that ram usage for apps increases and does not drop down after shutting down apps (games mainly). System ram is constantly about 300-400 but app ram got from 300 to over 600 in about 6 hours. Is this also a memory leak or maybe apps just do not completely shut down?

surrealjam

Apr 30, 2010
Birmingham
Yes, I wouldn't go purely on what the stats say in Settings > Apps > Running.

I haven't made my mind up yet - memory usage according to that screen is even higher than it was on 5.0.1 yet apps aren't killed anywhere near as often. Of course, it's early days though.

It's been said before, but sadly the new "norm" is now becoming 3GB RAM for high-end devices... and most new versions of Android are going to aimed at running best on the new handsets. I suppose that's to be expected.

Kc_Nirvana

May 18, 2012
Lisbon

I haven't made my mind up yet - memory usage according to that screen is even higher than it was on 5.0.1 yet apps aren't killed anywhere near as often. Of course, it's early days though.

It's been said before, but sadly the new "norm" is now becoming 3GB RAM for high-end devices... and most new versions of Android are going to aimed at running best on the new handsets. I suppose that's to be expected.

Isnt suppost Linux do same memory management with 2GB or 3GB of Ram?
Wich leads me to if KK,JB and ICS didnt had this memory leak problem how come this happens in LP?
That is one thing that I dont understand....

Simonna

Apr 8, 2013

Of course it is,just to force older phones users to buy new high end Android smartphones with more RAM. Now 3GB of RAM s getting standart,next year 3GB of RAM will get too little and 4GB of RAM will become a standart and so on..This is how marketing works.

Reactions: adomm420

Cum

Dec 11, 2011
My N5 (Factory Reset then Flashed Factory Image then Factory Reset) is up since 73 Hours, it uses acutally 490MB RAM for System and 898MB RAM for Apps,
in these 73 Hourse the App-Drawer was not redrawed once. I hope it will run like this for a long time.

The only thing that hasnt work, was the flashing with the Flash-All.bat.

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
Of course it is,just to force older phones users to buy new high end Android smartphones with more RAM. Now 3GB of RAM s getting standart,next year 3GB of RAM will get too little and 4GB of RAM will become a standart and so on..This is how marketing works.
exactly ! but ppl need to understand that what they need with phone.

i don't see any app that need more than 2GBs for ram on market plus multitasking is exceptional in N5 for me bcz i don't use tons of chatting apps who always runs and eats all resources of phone , i use heavy games and N5 still works great with highest graphics...and i bet none of Samsung or any other premium devices works with them as impressive as this 1.5yr old device still do ! so for me N5 is still more than enough ;)

phone shouldn't be excessive better in specs than what you wants from phone. Bcz it does't make any sanse unless one have lots of money and he/she only want to waste it one way or another :p :p

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
I thought this was fixed at first. I picked up my phone this morning and went to check news and the whole thing was froze for like 5 seconds then starting working, but stuttering. Do I checked apps and low and behold I had about ten apps restarting, just like in the previous lollipop. Except this time I only see half my apps restarting (so far) instead of nearly all of them.

Reactions: chrone

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
My N5 (Factory Reset then Flashed Factory Image then Factory Reset) is up since 73 Hours, it uses acutally 490MB RAM for System and 898MB RAM for Apps,
in these 73 Hourse the App-Drawer was not redrawed once. I hope it will run like this for a long time.

The only thing that hasnt work, was the flashing with the Flash-All.bat.
sounds like almost my case :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After 8 months google finally fix the memory leak in android lollipop. Thanks :crying::crying: Am I dreaming?:p
    Having the memory load increasing is not, in itself, a memory leak.

The Nexus 5 comes with 2 Gb of RAM, the goal is not to have memory load below 300 mb in every case (or you can buy a 512 mb-RAM smartphone)

The leak is a bug in memory management which increase memory load without any limit, thus slowing the device and crashing it. I did not experience this under 5.1 with Franco and stock kernel.
    This is one stupid Video right there my friends.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk 2

I think the only stupid thing here is your comment. Why don´t you contribute instead of posting vacuous comments?
    If you don't use the apps that cause a memory leak, you won't experience it.

If you turn off the phone, you won't experience it.
    This is the nexus 5 forum, not samsung or HTC....

It's not about that. It's about the fact that google obviously can't take their sh*ts together and fix the god damn OS. Personally i feel such a turn off by having to restart my phone every 12 hours. Yes 12 hours are required for my RAM to drop half way down. Thousands of users like me, pissed off by this memory leak bulls*it. Just ridiculous... I am disappointed by the fact that i can't use my phone like a normal person because the memory goes to heaven . Christ
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone