[ANDROID 5.1+] Lockscreen Widgets

Search This thread

Zacharee1

Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
A (very) long time ago, Android introduced a feature to allow you to show certain widgets on the lock screen. For some reason, this useful feature was removed with the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, confining widgets to the home screen only.

While some manufacturers, such as Samsung, have brought back limited versions of lockscreen widgets, but you're usually limited to the widgets the manufacturer has already created for you.

Well, no more! Lockscreen Widgets brings back the functionality of yore, with some extra features.

- Lockscreen Widgets appears as a paged "frame" on top of your lockscreen.
- Add a widget by tapping the plus button in the frame. This plus button will always be the last page.
- Each widget you add gets its own page.
- You can press, hold, and drag a widget left or right to reorder it.
- Tap the frame with two fingers to enter the editing mode: you resize and move the frame, and remove the current widget here.
- Any home screen widget can be added as a lockscreen widget.

Inside the app, there are a few settings you can change:
- You can make the widget frame's background opaque if you want to overlay lockscreen elements.
- You can have the widget frame hide when there are notifications displayed on the lockscreen.
- You can have the widget frame hide when the notification shade is down. This probably won't work on heavily customized skins like EMUI or MIUI.
- You can have the widget frame hide when the security input view is shown (PIN/pattern/password/etc). This probably won't work on heavily customized skins like EMUI or MIUI.

And this is all without ADB or root! All the necessary privileges can be granted without even thinking about using a computer.

On the topic of privileges, these are the more sensitive permissions that Lockscreen Widgets needs to function:
- Accessibility. In order to display on the lockscreen, Lockscreen Widgets' Accessibility Service must be enabled. You will be prompted to enable it if needed in the initial setup, and any time you open the app.
- Notification Listener. This permission is only required if you want the widget frame to hide when notifications are displayed. You will be prompted if it's needed.
- Dismiss Keyguard In order to improve the user experience, Lockscreen Widgets will dismiss the lock screen (or show the security input view) when it detects an Activity being launched from a widget, or when you press the "Add Widget" button. This will not compromise your device's security in any way.

And that's it. Don't believe me? Lockscreen Widgets is open source! The link is at the bottom.

Lockscreen Widgets only works on Android Lollipop 5.1 and later because the necessary system features for displaying on the lockscreen didn't exist in Lollipop 5.0. Sorry, 5.0 users.

If you have a question, send me an email or join the TG group: https://bit.ly/ZachareeTG. Please be as specific as possible with your problem or request.

Lockscreen Widgets source: https://github.com/zacharee/LockscreenWidgets

Download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.zwander.lockscreenwidgets
Beta opt-in: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/tk.zwander.lockscreenwidgets

Screenshots:

vuQO4DR1MTkYj6paj_zCkgSOHWV9JNLPc5XB_kpXR9xPP3suvrMIhl8Pr0kuLTVz5LkG=w1920-h969-rw

qqN6BBosy-N8qUYGKo8ZRrJ2SZOjlM64yZxp3FIAvmkJdMI7n16oI0xwkg3_HNLlAnYs=w1920-h969-rw

mbV9CJFmx8vXH2k1bAGn-vXzki8hwS42DBIc9Pwb6iHghs7Ox4_CjC5TaPdc_siYnLnq=w1920-h969-rw

eMxYh-jP2yrppPfgCi0v9fCO4Bzzv907HC11zuFFKUDSsLzZhwRQKfcDc3tbnVA5jlLi=w1920-h969-rw

x_vehoEt9quZBe8Yi_n1wjaSqm8fZhHgOOlNVxtUzfA85tHtdluj0SF5jUK1ejrc3KA=w1920-h969-rw

Last edited:

garyHal

Jun 23, 2006
I am trying out this app but I am not quite sure how it works.

I have Live Wallpaper on. As soon as the AOD disappears and my lockscreen shows up, I see a small popup window or prompt flicker and then it just disappears.

Samsung Galaxy s20u, Android 10

Last edited:

pTeronaut

May 28, 2012
Lafayette, IN

I have Live Wallpaper on. As soon as the AOD disappears and my lockscreen shows up, I see a small popup window or prompt flicker and then it just disappears.

I think that it is an issue with Samsung's dual layer lockscreen.

I have uninstalled the app but will monitor it for updates that will work with Samsung phones.

Reactions: palashlunkad

sammukhgupta

Mar 22, 2009
Widget overlays phone screen

Hi,

I used the app and is wonderful. To have this features with all the restrictions put in new android versions is awesome!

I noticed one issue. I set up a widget on the lockscreen. When a call is received (with the phone locked) the phone's caller ID screen ahd all the dialer options there is overlayed by the widget. Thereby any touch interactions only apply to the widget and not to the caller screen. Since phone calls are the only thing that works with the phone locked, I assume this issue is with only this scenario.

Is there a way to fix this? Can you please check from your end too?

Thanks!
Sammukh

Reactions: simonwil

aarefalharthi

May 29, 2014
Hello.

After installing the application and giving it the necessary permissions and going to the lock screen there is no add button.

How to add a widget ?

Thank you.

Sent from my Samsung SM-N960F using XDA Labs

dan_0272

Oct 20, 2019
Bought it & the idea is very good but have to eventually refund coz the widget layer keeps popping on my ambient display (on my OnePlus device) as well as the password input screen & it just keeps bugging me...Would definitely buy/install the app again when this issue is fixed.

Reactions: sgbmad and kam333

Radem

Jan 29, 2010
It's nice that someone does something and there are effects, but when buying the application I do not know if it works and who I want to ask for a refund because it is not a fortune.

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Can I get a promo code? This looks promising..

Buy it for crying out loud! If you don't like it get it refunded!
Developer Support is what keeps Devs motivated to create these awesome apps!

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Does it work on EMUI 10?
Maybe read the Play Store description..

schoerb

Aug 16, 2010
Frankfurt

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

There is no concrete info in the PlayStore description about EMUI: "This probably won't work on heavily customized skins like EMUI or MIUI." :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A (very) long time ago, Android introduced a feature to allow you to show certain widgets on the lock screen. For some reason, this useful feature was removed with the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, confining widgets to the home screen only.

While some manufacturers, such as Samsung, have brought back limited versions of lockscreen widgets, but you're usually limited to the widgets the manufacturer has already created for you.

Well, no more! Lockscreen Widgets brings back the functionality of yore, with some extra features.

- Lockscreen Widgets appears as a paged "frame" on top of your lockscreen.
    - Add a widget by tapping the plus button in the frame. This plus button will always be the last page.
    - Each widget you add gets its own page.
    - You can press, hold, and drag a widget left or right to reorder it.
    - Tap the frame with two fingers to enter the editing mode: you resize and move the frame, and remove the current widget here.
    - Any home screen widget can be added as a lockscreen widget.

Inside the app, there are a few settings you can change:
    - You can make the widget frame's background opaque if you want to overlay lockscreen elements.
    - You can have the widget frame hide when there are notifications displayed on the lockscreen.
    - You can have the widget frame hide when the notification shade is down. This probably won't work on heavily customized skins like EMUI or MIUI.
    - You can have the widget frame hide when the security input view is shown (PIN/pattern/password/etc). This probably won't work on heavily customized skins like EMUI or MIUI.

And this is all without ADB or root! All the necessary privileges can be granted without even thinking about using a computer.

On the topic of privileges, these are the more sensitive permissions that Lockscreen Widgets needs to function:
    - Accessibility. In order to display on the lockscreen, Lockscreen Widgets' Accessibility Service must be enabled. You will be prompted to enable it if needed in the initial setup, and any time you open the app.
    - Notification Listener. This permission is only required if you want the widget frame to hide when notifications are displayed. You will be prompted if it's needed.
    - Dismiss Keyguard In order to improve the user experience, Lockscreen Widgets will dismiss the lock screen (or show the security input view) when it detects an Activity being launched from a widget, or when you press the "Add Widget" button. This will not compromise your device's security in any way.

And that's it. Don't believe me? Lockscreen Widgets is open source! The link is at the bottom.

Lockscreen Widgets only works on Android Lollipop 5.1 and later because the necessary system features for displaying on the lockscreen didn't exist in Lollipop 5.0. Sorry, 5.0 users.

If you have a question, send me an email or join the TG group: https://bit.ly/ZachareeTG. Please be as specific as possible with your problem or request.

Lockscreen Widgets source: https://github.com/zacharee/LockscreenWidgets

Download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.zwander.lockscreenwidgets
    Beta opt-in: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/tk.zwander.lockscreenwidgets

Screenshots:

vuQO4DR1MTkYj6paj_zCkgSOHWV9JNLPc5XB_kpXR9xPP3suvrMIhl8Pr0kuLTVz5LkG=w1920-h969-rw

qqN6BBosy-N8qUYGKo8ZRrJ2SZOjlM64yZxp3FIAvmkJdMI7n16oI0xwkg3_HNLlAnYs=w1920-h969-rw

mbV9CJFmx8vXH2k1bAGn-vXzki8hwS42DBIc9Pwb6iHghs7Ox4_CjC5TaPdc_siYnLnq=w1920-h969-rw

eMxYh-jP2yrppPfgCi0v9fCO4Bzzv907HC11zuFFKUDSsLzZhwRQKfcDc3tbnVA5jlLi=w1920-h969-rw

x_vehoEt9quZBe8Yi_n1wjaSqm8fZhHgOOlNVxtUzfA85tHtdluj0SF5jUK1ejrc3KA=w1920-h969-rw

Bought it & the idea is very good but have to eventually refund coz the widget layer keeps popping on my ambient display (on my OnePlus device) as well as the password input screen & it just keeps bugging me...Would definitely buy/install the app again when this issue is fixed.
    Can I get a promo code? This looks promising..

Does it work on EMUI 10?

I think that it is an issue with Samsung's dual layer lockscreen.

I have uninstalled the app but will monitor it for updates that will work with Samsung phones.
    Widget overlays phone screen

Hi,

I used the app and is wonderful. To have this features with all the restrictions put in new android versions is awesome!

I noticed one issue. I set up a widget on the lockscreen. When a call is received (with the phone locked) the phone's caller ID screen ahd all the dialer options there is overlayed by the widget. Thereby any touch interactions only apply to the widget and not to the caller screen. Since phone calls are the only thing that works with the phone locked, I assume this issue is with only this scenario.

Is there a way to fix this? Can you please check from your end too?

Thanks!
    Sammukh
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone