Android 5.1 Lollipop Moto e 2nd Generation

Search This thread

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
moto will release 5.1 for all of the moto g and moto e , x lineup. tbh i got bored with my moto e and gave it to my wife. just picked up a moto g 4g lte for $150 on sale from moto. much better device for the money and its got seasoned development.

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
Moto-E-2nd-5.1-lollipop

EDIT: Never mind, it's the 3G version.

EDIT 2: I still think it is fake. You can barely make it out, but the kernel is showing a build date of Wednesday February 11th, the date that the stock 5.0.2 firmware for otus was compiled. Also, the 1 in the 5.1 is quite visibly photoshopped. It has a different font weight and the baseline is off. Some guy took a screenshot of on the stock 5.0.2 ROM of an otus (Styx 3G), photoshopped the screenshot to give it a version number 5.1, displayed the faked screenshot full screen, and then took a picture of the phone showing the faked screenshot.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

moto will release 5.1 for all of the moto g and moto e , x lineup. tbh i got bored with my moto e and gave it to my wife. just picked up a moto g 4g lte for $150 on sale from moto. much better device for the money and its got seasoned development.

Out of curiosity, apart from the lack of development, what do you like about the 1st generation Moto G over the 2nd generation Moto E? It has the same size display, a smaller battery, and an inferior processor.

Last edited:

rster

Dec 12, 2010
I know the moto g lte is supposed to be better all around, but it's antutu benchmark (17000+) is lower than the moto e lte (22000+). Are there other benchmarks that show it differently?
It seems to me the pluses and minuses of each (screen, battery, etc) make it a wash.

dryhte

Nov 8, 2010
I know the moto g lte is supposed to be better all around, but it's antutu benchmark (17000+) is lower than the moto e lte (22000+). Are there other benchmarks that show it differently?
It seems to me the pluses and minuses of each (screen, battery, etc) make it a wash.

Actually, the Moto E 2015 (LTE) has the better processor. Not by a huge amount, but it's a new generation of processor so it's normal that in some cpu related benchmarks it would pull ahead (specifically if they take advantage of the new instructions provided in the Cortex A53 cores (vs Cortex A7 for the S400)).

Also, the smaller screen size makes graphics easier on the GPU so there, too, the E should win.

To sum it up, the moto G LTE may be better all around, but definitely not on the CPU/GPU level. It's just provided with better screen resolution/camera & front cam/notification light (and tbh I think that's about it ;) )

For me, the E is definitely the better choice.

Reactions: goldeneagle1972

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest

well first off because it was voted the best budget smartphone.

the lcd is not smaller than the moto e 2015. they are both 4.5" also the g has much better pixel density and has more features.

the cpu may be the s400 but again the reviews ive seen didn't have any complaints. my main reason was for development.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e_%282015%29-6986.php

vs

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_4g-6355.php

rster

Dec 12, 2010
I guess I wasn't too clear. I agree with everything dryhte wrote and prefer my E LTE 2015 to the G LTE 2014. I once bought a G which is a very good phone, returned it for an X which is a great phone. I gave the X to my wife and now am happy with my E, assuming the stock firmware gets released soon. And with time, maybe some of the super-devs will make use of the 64 bits.

Last edited:

GigabitEthernet

Oct 20, 2013
I don't care so much about 5.1 (although it would be nice); I'd like some, IMO, major bugs to be fixed ASAP:

• Multiple times a day I will touch the power button and the home screen will show up for a few seconds before the lockscreen shows up;
  • Moto Display will show up as a notification for no apparent reason (never had this on the Moto X);
    • Closing it seems to do nothing so I don't see why it is there in the first place.
  • The lockscreen notifications system seems to be buggy, especially with Spotify, where notifications will randomly disappear so I cannot control music on the lockscreen;
    • This doesn't happen with any other Lollipop phone I use so that leads me to believe that is an issue with the software on this phone.
  • The memory leak bug - enough said.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

BinaryWork

Mar 15, 2014
St. Paul
I don't care so much about 5.1 (although it would be nice); I'd like some, IMO, major bugs to be fixed ASAP:

• Multiple times a day I will touch the power button and the home screen will show up for a few seconds before the lockscreen shows up;
  • Moto Display will show up as a notification for no apparent reason (never had this on the Moto X);
    • Closing it seems to do nothing so I don't see why it is there in the first place.
  • The lockscreen notifications system seems to be buggy, especially with Spotify, where notifications will randomly disappear so I cannot control music on the lockscreen;
    • This doesn't happen with any other Lollipop phone I use so that leads me to believe that is an issue with the software on this phone.

I have these same issues and would love if they were fixed.

Reactions: goldeneagle1972

stech99

Feb 24, 2015
Should I Buy Moto E 2nd Generation

I wanted to buy a affordable phone and everyone knows that Moto E is the best low budget phone. :)
The only problem that seems to be in Moto E is its Camera. :(
I wanted to know that are you guys satisfied with camera of Moto E
Specially the Front Camera. :fingers-crossed:

dryhte

Nov 8, 2010
I wanted to buy a affordable phone and everyone knows that Moto E is the best low budget phone. :)
The only problem that seems to be in Moto E is its Camera. :(
I wanted to know that are you guys satisfied with camera of Moto E
Specially the Front Camera. :fingers-crossed:

The front camera plainly sucks, but then I knew about that ;) I don't make selfies and if I use the front cam it's only for skype type video chat (for which it's plenty good enough).

I think everyone was warned (reviews/specs) that the front cam is only VGA (640x480 pixels, 0,3 MP).

stech99

Feb 24, 2015
The front camera plainly sucks, but then I knew about that ;) I don't make selfies and if I use the front cam it's only for skype type video chat (for which it's plenty good enough).

I think everyone was warned (reviews/specs) that the front cam is only VGA (640x480 pixels, 0,3 MP).
Hahaha..
Ok Ok
Then what about other things.
Do you like your phone.
Should I buy Moto E or go with something else. :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Bootloader is unlocked, will i be able to receive update? But the OS is intact

Unfortunately , no !
    My Bootloader is unlocked, will i be able to receive update? But the OS is intact

Yes you will still get OTA updates. Whether your bootloader is locked or unlocked doesn't matter

Yeah screen size is very small ..

Actually, the Moto E 2015 (LTE) has the better processor. Not by a huge amount, but it's a new generation of processor so it's normal that in some cpu related benchmarks it would pull ahead (specifically if they take advantage of the new instructions provided in the Cortex A53 cores (vs Cortex A7 for the S400)).

Also, the smaller screen size makes graphics easier on the GPU so there, too, the E should win.

To sum it up, the moto G LTE may be better all around, but definitely not on the CPU/GPU level. It's just provided with better screen resolution/camera & front cam/notification light (and tbh I think that's about it ;) )

For me, the E is definitely the better choice.

I have these same issues and would love if they were fixed.