• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Android 5 for Ultra Z Google Play Edition

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
Read people sony said they will release it beginning of 2015, so for now we have to depend on aosp builds.
Yes. Please do read, Diamantericos. The Sony builds will be released early 2015, but the Z Ultra GPe (Goolgle Play Edition) is the one this thread is all about. It even says so in the thread title. Lollipop for the GPe will not be released in early 2015, but in the coming week(s). That is why HTC's GPe devices gets Lollipop this early, and the Galaxy S4 GPe will also get Lollipop soon.

That's the whole concept and reason the GPe devices exists. Early updates, which we can port to the regular Ultra.

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
I would have liked to post this comment to the development thread, but posting here to avoid cluttering it up. To everyone involved in building lollipop from source I would like to say how awesome it is to see everyone pulling together and sharing your knowledge. Even though this is a small community I have no regrets from choosing this device.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand

Sm0L

May 18, 2011
Lisboa
Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
But i am reading some very poor words regarding Lollipop

First was this right here at XDA:
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/google-aosp-qa-team-lollipop/
Now this:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...pop-and-the-problem-with-big-android-tablets/

BTW, latest Google Calendar app is missing day 30 of November...

I sure hope they fix this in Android 5.1

I Think i am going to stick with kitkat for a while, i can't live without Xposed Framework too
That first "article" is pure whining IMO. Sure, Google has pretty much "abandoned" the AOSP apps (APPS, not the core OS), but the author of that ridiculous excuse of an article is concluding that "I really wanted to like Android 5.0." after running the barebone AOSP without opening the Play Store. What did he expect? He's complaining that the Email-app isn't functioning any longer, which is true, but that's because Google has merged the Email-app with the Gmail app. Seriously, come on.

If you're going to only run AOSP without the Play Store or any other Google services, you're going to have a bad time either way. Ars has an article where they tried to use Android without any Google services (sideloading FOSS apps). It can be done, but i'd much prefer to teleport back to the stoneage and live in a cave instead. It was/is the same thing with KitKat, but i guess it's yet another year and yet another whining article about it.

Article 2 is about large tablets (10 inch), but really about the Nexus 10. All Samsung tablets are running TouchWiz that "masks" these issues with a different launcher and third party apps. Samsung is actually trying to do something about it. I do not have a tablet, and the Z Ultra is not a large tablet, so i couldn't care less. HTC has one tablet., the Nexus 9, which has no issues with Lollipop. Sony has a couple of tablets, which are also running a custom launcher and UI, like Samsung. It's a non-issue. The only tablet that has issues is the Nexus 10, and that's probably why they titled the article like that.

I ran Lollipop yesterday, and all i can say is; bring it on. I love it, I want it.

Sm0L

May 18, 2011
Lisboa
That first "article" is pure whining IMO. Sure, Google has pretty much "abandoned" the AOSP apps (APPS, not the core OS), but the author of that ridiculous excuse of an article is concluding that "I really wanted to like Android 5.0." after running the barebone AOSP without opening the Play Store. What did he expect? He's complaining that the Email-app isn't functioning any longer, which is true, but that's because Google has merged the Email-app with the Gmail app. Seriously, come on.

If you're going to only run AOSP without the Play Store or any other Google services, you're going to have a bad time either way. Ars has an article where they tried to use Android without any Google services (sideloading FOSS apps). It can be done, but i'd much prefer to teleport back to the stoneage and live in a cave instead. It was/is the same thing with KitKat, but i guess it's yet another year and yet another whining article about it.
Yes, i agree with you on the first article, Android OS should be about Platform not GAPPS , and if they make the Plaform a more barebones thing, better yet for updates.

Article 2 is about large tablets (10 inch), but really about the Nexus 10. All Samsung tablets are running TouchWiz that "masks" these issues with a different launcher and third party apps. Samsung is actually trying to do something about it. I do not have a tablet, and the Z Ultra is not a large tablet, so i couldn't care less. HTC has one tablet., the Nexus 9, which has no issues with Lollipop. Sony has a couple of tablets, which are also running a custom launcher and UI, like Samsung. It's a non-issue. The only tablet that has issues is the Nexus 10, and that's probably why they titled the article like that..
Here i don't agree with you, Nexus 10 is a Google Tablet, Android 5.0 is a Google OS, so it should run BETTER than all Samsung, HTC and Sony tablets with Googles OS, and you should care more, the whole point of Android is it's power to drive all these different devices, if that is lost, android will be LOST, you can't just evaluate Android with your own Device!

I ran Lollipop yesterday, and all i can say is; bring it on. I love it, I want it.
Why? Where it is better than kitkat now? Or its just for the sake of change?

On thing i was counting on was ART, with ART it should be better in theory, it's not in practice, same performance or worst.

Reactions: maxld

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
Here i don't agree with you, Nexus 10 is a Google Tablet, Android 5.0 is a Google OS, so it should run BETTER than all Samsung, HTC and Sony tablets with Googles OS, and you should care more, the whole point of Android is it's power to drive all these different devices, if that is lost, android will be LOST, you can't just evaluate Android with your own Device!
1. The Nexus 10 is 2 years old now, which is 24 months, or 6 months over Google's own 18 months update window. Nexus 10 owners should be happy to even get Lollipop.

2. The Nexus 10 is Google's only 10 inch tablet ever. They clearly like the smaller ones more, so they are clearly shifting their focus to 7-9 inch tablets. But i guess Google should satisfy every single person out there, and make things work somewhat acceptable on every device out there, than spend their time refining and perfecting their current product? "I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW!" "FIX THIS FIX THAT".

(This isn't pointed directly at you, Sm0L, but the typical whiner out there.)

Why? Where it is better than kitkat now? Or its just for the sake of change?
On thing i was counting on was ART, with ART it should be better in theory, it's not in practice, same performance or worst.
It is better. Everything is just so much more fluid and smooth that it can't be described. It's like going from 24 FPS to 60. Most people won't be able to tell what has changed, but it's very clear that ART (and other things) have seriously enhanced the performance of Android. Even the beta-ish builds we have for our Ultras are kicking KitKat's ass in smoothness. KitKat has a lot of micro-lag, like when scrolling in a list etc. It's gone in Lollipop.

And being highly subjective, Material Design is just beautiful, the animations are cool and very well done and everything is just shiny and new. KitKat looks like it belongs back in 2012 with Jelly Bean and iOS 6.

Reactions: Miustone

Sm0L

May 18, 2011
Lisboa
It is better. Everything is just so much more fluid and smooth that it can't be described. It's like going from 24 FPS to 60. Most people won't be able to tell what has changed, but it's very clear that ART (and other things) have seriously enhanced the performance of Android. Even the beta-ish builds we have for our Ultras are kicking KitKat's ass in smoothness. KitKat has a lot of micro-lag, like when scrolling in a list etc. It's gone in Lollipop.

And being highly subjective, Material Design is just beautiful, the animations are cool and very well done and everything is just shiny and new. KitKat looks like it belongs back in 2012 with Jelly Bean and iOS 6.
Animation tend to introduce the placebo effect, I can't compare it, Kitkat with a wipe factory is also very smooth. Did you install all the apps that you used in kitkat onto lollipop?
But if the micro-lag of the listview in gone in Lollipop i am a converted user :D

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone