Android 9 (Pie) - Bugs after Update

Search This thread

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
Hello to the XDA Dev Community.

I'd like to start a threat with bugs after the Android Pie update on our devices.

1. Bug:
Camera App forgets the "volume down key" binding. Means, when double pressed in standby mode the cam is not started.
Solution: Sadly this works only temporary - start the cam app and exit or close. After that the above mentioned shortcut / quickstart works for a short time in standby mode.

2. Bug:
This one is still not repaired: when switching to black mode (to lower the battery consumption) one can not see in the apps overview which of the apps are deactivated - the letters are not visible. When you have the white menues, the term "deactivated" is quite readable. (This bug is existent from the beginning with Android 8 - i chatted on this topic with the customer service of Huawei last year but that guy had no blink of an idea, he sounded very unexperienced.)

My Device:
Unbranded, European version, yesterday received the update.

Wonder if anyone experienced same difficulties and perhaps if there are solutions to this.

Have a good day ;)

Last edited:

belloni

Jun 8, 2013
Whenever you do a significant upgrade, do a factory reset. This cures most problems, people need to start doing this rather then moaning.

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
Quite a good idea - but I am long enough into the smartphone scene (since Windows CE and Mobile) to know well that "factory reset" is unfortunately not the magic solution to all problems as some would like it to be... :cool:

Of course factory reset is done. Problems are still there, and to be honest - we would have not awaited it as a solution to both bugs i mentioned above a priori, would we?

Well besides I recognized another bug or feature(?)

3. Bug (or feature?):
The native mail app no more shows contacts pictures left to the associated mails.

Does someone know if this is somehow configureable?

Thx in advance

Last edited:

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
Hi,

found next bug.

4. Bug:
Fast double tapping the "square button" works inconsistently.... It should switch between the two last apps in the tasklist..... May be it has to do with a little time delay / time lag in reaction of EMUI9/Pie... I have the slight feeling that the OS is not that fluent as before (under Android 8)

I hope that is it....

Last edited:

kotidoti

Oct 3, 2012
That AI thing in the left most corner in the camera APP is not working, it is the same button as the one you see next to the search bar when you swipe down for searching. I think it used to be some kind for scanner or products? Now the button just flicks and does nothing.

Last edited:

jcalderonv74

May 3, 2015
Hi,

found next bug.

4. Bug:
Fast double tapping the "square button" works inconsistently.... It should switch between the two last apps in the tasklist..... May be it has to do with a little time delay / time lag in reaction of EMUI9/Pie... I have the slight feeling that the OS is not that fluent as before (under Android 8)

I hope that is it....

Put High performance... I don't know where (probably battery settings?) As I haven't received yet OTA but seems that with that setting the double tap on square against slopes to switch between apps fluently

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
That AI thing in the left most corner in the camera APP is not working, it is the same button as the one you see next to the search bar when you swipe down for searching. I think it used to be some kind for scanner or products? Now the button just flicks and does nothing.

Working on my device, I had to confirm the consent before... Maybe u clicked it into the background?

Update:
I deactivated the corresponding Huawei app (HiVision), now it fully disappeared in the cam app and on the lock screen (formerly found at the bottom when you swiped from down to up... The list where the flashlight, calculator and so on appear)

Last edited:

Ereniemis

Apr 6, 2013
Brno
Hey there,
Have you tried to go to battery optimisation (go to settings, hit the search bar on top and start writing "optim" and the first one), then search for "camera" and disable battery optimisation. It solved the problem for me.
I've found that the Pie is more aggresive overall with killing the background apps. I've had to add way more applications (than on droid 8) to the "disable battery optimizations" and to "app launch" (in settings, battery, app launch -> set applications that you want to survive on the background to "manage manually")

I'd like to start a threat with bugs after the Android Pie update on our devices.

1. Bug:
Camera App forgets the "volume down key" binding. Means, when double pressed in standby mode the cam is not started.
Solution: Sadly this works only temporary - start the cam app and exit or close. After that the above mentioned shortcut / quickstart works for a short time in standby mode.

2. Bug:
This one is still not repaired: when switching to black mode (to lower the battery consumption) one can not see in the apps overview which of the apps are deactivated - the letters are not visible. When you have the white menues, the term "deactivated" is quite readable. (This bug is existent from the beginning with Android 8 - i chatted on this topic with the customer service of Huawei last year but that guy had no blink of an idea, he sounded very unexperienced.)

My Device:

Wonder if anyone experienced same difficulties and perhaps if there are solutions to this.

Have a good day ;)

Reactions: ppcppcppc

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
Put High performance... I don't know where (probably battery settings?) As I haven't received yet OTA but seems that with that setting the double tap on square against slopes to switch between apps fluently

Thanks, will try your idea!

OTA Update: Against all info - the update was found by manual search in the standard system settings. As it was found I parallely checked HiCare App - NO updates were found, it was a joke!

So maybe also check this way, do not trust HiCare alone.

Update:
Found and activated the performance mode (as you said - battery settings). Sadly no change in performance of the app-switching.

Last edited:

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
Hey there,
Have you tried to go to battery optimisation (go to settings, hit the search bar on top and start writing "optim" and the first one), then search for "camera" and disable battery optimisation. It solved the problem for me.
I've found that the Pie is more aggresive overall with killing the background apps. I've had to add way more applications (than on droid 8) to the "disable battery optimizations" and to "app launch" (in settings, battery, app launch -> set applications that you want to survive on the background to "manage manually")

You made my day, thx!

Disabling the battery optimization for the cam app is the solution. It works even after restart of the device without starting the cam app before!

Thx again!

Last edited:

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)

Hi,

It helps a bit, but still inconsistently working, even after restart of the device. I also tried to put EMUI into the AppAssistant app to enforce it, but the app is not selectable (guess it should be HiStart, EMUI or something like that)...

Only solution atm is to SLOWLY double-tapping the square button.

Last edited:

kotidoti

Oct 3, 2012
Working on my device, I had to confirm the consent before... Maybe u clicked it into the background?

Update:
I deactivated the corresponding Huawei app (HiVision), now it fully disappeared in the cam app and on the lock screen (formerly found at the bottom when you swiped from down to up... The list where the flashlight, calculator and so on appear)

Update on this issue, I tried to clear data and cache which brought me back to give consent again and all but it still didn't work. What I did was disable it, which tuned it into factory default and then enabled it again and wolah, it works again. Thanks for informing me about the app name btw, would have been impossible without it. HiVision.

Reactions: ppcppcppc

Naffets

Apr 11, 2007
Calendar invites for office365 meetings cannot properly be accepted on the device. it sends the originator a 'not supported format.ics' file - rather than actually accepting the meeting.

Pretty stupid tbf. I'll look to move off the standard mail client i reckon

Nov 4, 2012
My P20 Pro (C782) finally prompted me to updated to Pie today, but having done so I'm experiencing choppy / clipping / stuttering audio when connected to my Sony WH-1000XM3's (using LDAC codec). This wasn't happening on Oreo at all.

I've done a factory reset, but the issue persists. Happens throughout whatever's playing (Spotify, Tidal, PocketCasts, YouTube) and is especially noticeable when pressing the power button to activate the screen.

Any ideas?

zizzyboi

Jan 8, 2019
OnePlus 8 Pro
Anyone else having problems with the volume rocker?
I can't slide the volume to the left to get multiple profiles. Isn't it possible with the pie update?

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
My P20 Pro (C782) finally prompted me to updated to Pie today, but having done so I'm experiencing choppy / clipping / stuttering audio when connected to my Sony WH-1000XM3's (using LDAC codec). This wasn't happening on Oreo at all.

I've done a factory reset, but the issue persists. Happens throughout whatever's playing (Spotify, Tidal, PocketCasts, YouTube) and is especially noticeable when pressing the power button to activate the screen.

Any ideas?

Hi, seems to be known and somehow a bug in Android 9 with Huawei components, let us hope for updates...

https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-pro/help/bluetooth-issues-android-pie-clt-l29-t3889110

ppcppcppc

Sep 15, 2007
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
Calendar invites for office365 meetings cannot properly be accepted on the device. it sends the originator a 'not supported format.ics' file - rather than actually accepting the meeting.

Pretty stupid tbf. I'll look to move off the standard mail client i reckon

Sounds to be a limitation by Huawei software...

I also recognized following bug (Android 8 & 9):
If I configure any mail account to "manually" in the native Huawei mail app, the app still looks for mails after a time when i only open the inbox....

Same situation when device goes into ultra power saving mode or automatically powers off because of low power....after return to normal state or reboot after charge the app now looks on all mail accounts for new messages itself/automatically. This happens when WIFI was on before powersaving mode or power off. As soon WIFI is available at startup or return to normal mode aforementioned situation occurs.... Can be avoided by canceling WIFI connection to the server/router....

That is indeed annoying!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some EMUI 9 bugs I've encountered:
    The magazine unlock stopped working. Pics won't change randomly
    The battery life dropped from 1 day and 7-8 hours to 1 day
    Hey there,

1. Bug:

2. Bug:

My Device:

Have a good day ;)

Update:

Update on this issue, I tried to clear data and cache which brought me back to give consent again and all but it still didn't work. What I did was disable it, which tuned it into factory default and then enabled it again and wolah, it works again. Thanks for informing me about the app name btw, would have been impossible without it. HiVision.
    Some EMUI 9 bugs I've encountered:
    The magazine unlock stopped working. Pics won't change randomly
    The battery life dropped from 1 day and 7-8 hours to 1 day

Heating more than usual as well
    Another ugly bug or bad behaviour feature:

When i scroll down my calendar widget on the home screen the Huawei Search screen comes in the foreground....

Too bad, formerly on Android 8, ones had to swipe the taskbar all along down. Now a short swipe down distance anywhere on the screen lets appear this ugly coloured pinkish screen. I can not use my widgets with scroll down function anymore.

Bad feature Huawei, very bad!

Anyone has an idea to avoid this?
    Use adb shell

Code:
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.search

There's a thread about how this can be done.