Android 9 Pie Dirty Unicorns for HP Touchpad

Search This thread

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Dirty Unicorns Android 9, PIE by Flintman for HP Touchpad
Click HERE for How to Flash the ROM
Home button
All credits goes to the developer@flintman and the Dirty Unicorns Team.

Last edited:

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
You are welcome!

The following does not work, installing only the ROM.
Camera
Bluetooth
Youtube plays very well
Very smooth
Microphone works.
Wifi works perfectly.

The only problem is that the internal storage is not accessible.
It can not even save screenshots, no access. ( it is fix on the 3-28-2019 version )

Last edited:
Reactions: larrywilson

muerte33

Jun 7, 2014
I dirty flashed the 13.x over 12.5x and did not do the open gapps, so I will have to sideload them I guess at some point since I cannot get to internal storage like you said.
It boots up, but lots of stuff does not work (like bluetooth). At least the March 2019 security updates are in place!
Thanks

johnbelloh

Jan 3, 2013
Dayton
I can't believe we now have Pie on the old work horse. Thank you so much. I wiped everything but internal storage and did a clean install with open pico gapps. I had previously installed the DU swap in the boot directory and booting with it goes to a boot loop. I went back to 8.1 and deleted the DU swap in the boot directory and did another clean install of 9. It came right up and the few apps I have installed work. I tried installing YouTube but the play store says this version is not compatible. It won't even show it as an option. There is no access to storage from either the files app or ES File Explorer. I even tried USB with Windows and android shades out the file transfer option. All my other Pie devices give you an option in setting to set up the SD as either removeable or internal memory. I am wondering if we need to reformat internal memory to get access. I hate to kill it since I have all my install files there as well as TP Toolbox. Any suggestions welcome.

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
This is the first version of Pie and it boots and works, but the permissions are set for root as the user and it does not allow access to the internal storage. ( is all fixed on version 3-28-2019 )
Flintman is working on it and fixing that issue. Keep in mind it takes time and dedication to do this.
I installed the full version of Google Open gapps that comes with youtube and it works perfectly fine. Pie will be optimize as soon as the access permission is fix.
The Tablet soon will be working better than ever and all updated to the latest software available!

Last edited:

johnbelloh

Jan 3, 2013
Dayton
This is the first version of Pie and it boots and works, but the permissions are set for root as the user and it does not allow access to the internal storage.
Flintman is working on it and fixing that issue. Keep in mind it takes time and dedication to do this.
I installed the full version of Google Open gapps that comes with youtube and it works perfectly fine. Pie will be optimize as soon as the access permission is fix.
The Tablet soon will be working better than ever and all updated to the latest software available!
First
First, A big thank you to Flintman! I went ahead and flashed with mini gapps as the smallest package containing YouTube and it works fine. I will wait for the storage until it is fixed. The only other question I have is on partition sizes. I left them at the recommended sizes for the DU swap. I may be wasting memory but all appears to be working. I have TP Toolbox resident just in case. Thanks again. Also I assume we should not use the SKZ kernel since this looks later.

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
First
First, A big thank you to Flintman! I went ahead and flashed with mini gapps as the smallest package containing YouTube and it works fine. I will wait for the storage until it is fixed. The only other question I have is on partition sizes.
The partition sizes applied using the following:
HP TOUCHPAD Optimize for Android with Swap Partition and SKZ Kernel_ Flash Files_

Will work with Pie, Q and any future release of Android.
The /system partition is set to 1.8G, which can accommodate a Super variant of the google open gapps.
I left them at the recommended sizes for the DU swap. I may be wasting memory but all appears to be working.
Is storage space not Memory or RAM. It will be about 500MB to 600MB extra of storage space not Memory, it does not affect performance.

I have TP Toolbox resident just in case. Thanks again. Also I assume we should not use the SKZ kernel since this looks later.
There is no SKZ kernel for Pie at the moment and it will not work with Pie 9 as it only works with 8.1.
The stock Kernel of Pie 9 is not optimize yet to use the swap partition, as soon as Pie is fix it will be available and the system will improve performance and stability as more RAM (Memory) will be available in Android. (Update Pie is completely optimize more than any other ROM

Last edited:

johnbelloh

Jan 3, 2013
Dayton
Very impressive. Every app I have installed works including storage. I have 6 touchpads including a brand new 4G model. Is the plan to add swap to the ROM or will it be a separate install? If I can be of any assistance testing just ask. Thank you to all involved.

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Very impressive. Every app I have installed works including storage. I have 6 touchpads including a brand new 4G model. Is the plan to add swap to the ROM or will it be a separate install? If I can be of any assistance testing just ask. Thank you to all involved.

Android Pie is optimize and is swap enable from the core, all settings are set to be use with the swap partition.
Flintman did a marvelous job incorporating all the changes and making Pie available for the HP Touchpad with more improvement on its way that it could be the best ROM ever. I will update this guide soon.

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
It is worth it if i'm on 8.1 with swap ? I saw that yesterday we have got a update.. :)
If you are using 8.1 now and enjoying your setup, then my recommendation is to keep using it that way until Pie which is 100% stable now with more features than 8.1, gets Bluetooth working and any other minor issues resolved. As of now Pie is working as Oreo. Pie is using the swap partition and fully optimized as 8.1 and 7.1.2. The only thing to do is to flash it just like any other ROM.

Lister Of Smeg

May 20, 2013
Hi all,

I keep popping back from time to time, and each time just keeps getting better and better... We're now up to Android 9 Pie ?? WOW !!! Fantastic work guys to all involved... :D

Couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) I'm currently on Android 8.1 Oreo, not sure which build or when.. without picking it up yet. Is it likely this will already be using SWAP partition, or do I still have to go ahead with it?

2) If I don't have a SWAP partition, and go ahead and create one... If I want to use an older DM rom at a later date. Do I have to remove SWAP, or will it just ignore the partition on older builds?

3) So we can use WebOS and Android 9 side by side, sharing the SWAP ??

4) Is there anyway to make the Boot partition larger than 32mb, or is that set in stone?? - and where can I find the uImage file for ToolBox, so I can have that as one of my selectable boot options.

Thanks, Lister

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Hi all,

I keep popping back from time to time, and each time just keeps getting better and better... We're now up to Android 9 Pie ?? WOW !!! Fantastic work guys to all involved... :D
Yes Flintman still providing support and now has created the best ROM.

Couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) I'm currently on Android 8.1 Oreo, not sure which build or when.. without picking it up yet. Is it likely this will already be using SWAP partition, or do I still have to go ahead with it?
The swap partition must be created as in this guide:
HP TOUCHPAD Optimize for Android with Swap Partition and SKZ Kernel_ Flash Files_

2) If I don't have a SWAP partition, and go ahead and create one... If I want to use an older DM rom at a later date. Do I have to remove SWAP, or will it just ignore the partition on older builds?
WebOS came with a swap partition and all the ROMS were install side by side with WebOS but never implemented the use of SWAP, Android 9 is the first ROM to completely take advantage of swap thanks to Flintman for applying all the changes. And all future version of Android for the HP Touchpad will have support for the swap partition.

3) So we can use WebOS and Android 9 side by side, sharing the SWAP ??
Yes the partition that is created is the original from WebOS dev/store/swap.
In WebOS is a 400 MB
The new partition is 500 MB, it can be change to any size if the user wants to.
If you want to use any new ROM, 7.1.2 ,8.1 and 9 the /system partition must be 1400 MB, it can be resize using the ToolBox.

4) Is there anyway to make the Boot partition larger than 32mb, or is that set in stone?? - and where can I find the uImage file for ToolBox, so I can have that as one of my selectable boot options.
The /boot partition is a fix 32MB can not be change and there is no need for it to be larger.
Download the ToolBox from
Here
Unzip the file rename TPToolbox-2015-01-08-v42.bin to uImage.ToolBox
Using TWRP Recovery mount /boot and using the TWRP File Manager copy uImage.ToolBox to /boot.
Using TWRP any boot uImage can be move from /boot to the SDCARD and then can be copy back.
There is no need for /boot to be larger as the boot files can easily be copy to it when need it to be use.
Think of it as a CD or USB disk that you insert into the PC to boot from, is the same concept. If you need to use the ToolBox make some space by removing a boot uImage and then copy the ToolBox in /boot.

Thanks, Lister
You are welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lister Of Smeg

Lister Of Smeg

May 20, 2013
Hi @HP_TOUCHPAD,

First of all, thank you for the very prompt and DETAILED reply, this is perfect and contains EXACTLY what I need to know. And apologies for the delay getting back to you, my brothers son has been in hospital last couple of days... So been a bit back and forth.

Thank you for your post, very clearly laid out and full of useful information. I shall follow that guide and re-create a swap partition. Had a quick look last night, and looks like Flintman has re-compiled all his old roms to support SWAP partition too. So should make them smoother still.. :)

Thanks once again...

Lister

Reactions: Gborg3

Lister Of Smeg

May 20, 2013
Hi @HP_TOUCHPAD,

I've just picked up my Touchpad, and I appear to be running a build of Oreo 8.1.0, the Dirty Unicorns 12.5.xx.

However, in TWRP.... I only appear to have around 296k free, and not enough to store the Toolbox uImage (around 10mb) in there?? Any idea's what I can free up??

The largest files I can see are:

uImage.Android 5.4mb (boots my Android install)
uImage.moboot 63.KiB (boot manager)
uImage.TWRP 8.7mb (boots TWRP)
uImage.webOS 3.2mb (boots WebOS)
uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderlion 3.2mb (no idea??)
System.map-2.6.35-palm-tenderlion 1.4mb (no idea??)

There are many other files and folders in the \boot partition. But not sure what, or if... I can free up any of those files/folders??

Thanks, Lister

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Hi @HP_TOUCHPAD,
Thank you for your post, very clearly laid out and full of useful information. I shall follow that guide and re-create a swap partition.
Had a quick look last night, and looks like Flintman has re-compiled all his old roms to support SWAP partition too. So should make them smoother still.. :)
The ROMS Kernels available from my guide for Evervolv 7.1.2 and DU 8.1 are my changes to make use of swap with optimization.
Flintman integrated all the changes posted on my guide to the Kernel, Ramdisk and also to the ROM of Pie (9).
Android Pie (9) is the first ROM to completely take advantage of the swap partition thanks to Flintman for improving and making the extra changes.

Thanks once again...

Lister
You are welcome.

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Hi @HP_TOUCHPAD,

I've just picked up my Touchpad, and I appear to be running a build of Oreo 8.1.0, the Dirty Unicorns 12.5.xx.

However, in TWRP.... I only appear to have around 296k free, and not enough to store the Toolbox uImage (around 10mb) in there?? Any idea's what I can free up??

The largest files I can see are:

uImage.Android 5.4mb (boots my Android install)
uImage.moboot 63.KiB (boot manager)
uImage.TWRP 8.7mb (boots TWRP)
uImage.webOS 3.2mb (boots WebOS)
uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderlion 3.2mb (no idea??)
System.map-2.6.35-palm-tenderlion 1.4mb (no idea??)

There are many other files and folders in the \boot partition. But not sure what, or if... I can free up any of those files/folders??

Thanks, Lister

The /boot partition is 32MB, It shows that WebOS is also installed. Before moving any files from /boot make sure to do a backup just in case if the wrong file gets removed. The ToolBox does not need to be in the /boot directory to be use . It can be loaded into the memory by placing the Tablet into Recovery Mode and from the PC with the novacom drivers install load it.
novacom boot mem:// <uImage.ToolBox
The ToolBox will be loaded into memory and use for anything need it, there is no need to keep it in the /boot.
The most important file to be in /boot uImage.moboot 63.KiB (boot manager)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dirty Unicorns Android 9, PIE by Flintman for HP Touchpad
    Click HERE for How to Flash the ROM
    Home button
    All credits goes to the developer@flintman and the Dirty Unicorns Team.
    Hi, thanks for the great work here. I was wondering if you would (or could) give us the option of using an over clocked kernel. Last night out of curiosity I flashed "SKZ_Swap_Optimize_Tenderloin_Kernel_DU_Cpu_Freq_1836000.zip" and found it to be very responsive on my 64gb Touchpad. Of course the problem is that flashing it broke wifi for me but it the added snappiness was very nice. Anyway, I restored my original setup in TWRP but figured I'd give it a shot in asking. Thanks again for all the hard work!
    The maximum frequency for the stock kernel is 1728, with the SKZ kernel made by @shumash three extra are available 1782, 1836 and 1890 plus the a higher GPU frequency. Android 9 is stable is up to shumash to provide that extra kernel.
    I have created a Hybrid with the stock and Skz kernel that allows for the extra frequencies. I will post it with more optimize settings.
    New Universal Optimized Settings files are available for Pie and All ROMs.
    Click Here for All ROMs optimized for Swap
    All Settings have been redone and the Tablet is Optimized for Web use. TCP Buffer was increase from 2MB to 6MB and other settings.
    WiFI is 100 % stable, it does not disconnect.
    To flash the new settings, download the CPU frequency that your Tablet can handle.
    Using TWRP,Wipe / cache (only) Flash the file and reboot.
    It is worth it if i'm on 8.1 with swap ? I saw that yesterday we have got a update.. :)
    If you are using 8.1 now and enjoying your setup, then my recommendation is to keep using it that way until Pie which is 100% stable now with more features than 8.1, gets Bluetooth working and any other minor issues resolved. As of now Pie is working as Oreo. Pie is using the swap partition and fully optimized as 8.1 and 7.1.2. The only thing to do is to flash it just like any other ROM.

Android Pie is optimize and is swap enable from the core, all settings are set to be use with the swap partition.
    Flintman did a marvelous job incorporating all the changes and making Pie available for the HP Touchpad with more improvement on its way that it could be the best ROM ever. I will update this guide soon.