• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ANDROID] Android on the TouchPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

hxh103

Apr 15, 2010
Welcome to the official development thread of Touchdroid, by the Touchdroid team. As part of the open Android communitie, we want to make our Android port as open as possible, and providing development insight to all of our users.

The Touchdroid Team
Thomas Sohmers (trsohmers/Apeman42) --Twitter, email, website
Framework43 --Twitter
John Hale (rhcp011235) --Twitter, email, website
Jacob Bell (ProTekk) -- Twitter, website

LINKS
IRC
Wiki

OVERVIEW
We are attempting to port Android to the HP Touchpad, which was originally shipped with webOS.
First going to build with Gingerbread and be AOSP based
After we are able to successfully boot Android, we are going to move to a CM7 base
Once we reach what we deem a "stable" beta, we will continue to provide bug fixes for Gingerbread build, but also begin working on a full Honeycomb port
If ICS is released before or during our development of the Honeycomb port, we will stop and begin work on ICS. (Please be October…)

YES! lets get this pad rocking android :D

*eagerly waiting for release*

tsekh501

Aug 14, 2009
HP should just take all the BestBuy unsold TouchPad back, put Honeycomb on it, and then relist them at $300 each. People will buy them (I know I will).

frettfreak

Jan 19, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
I will definitely donate some money for a stable Honeycomb build.

Stable is a relative term. You wont see a perfect HC build cause the source has not and will never be released. I would like to see something like a HTC Flyer port (at least its a tablet build), and then i am SURE as soon as ICS is done we will get some love on these touchpads

If anybody wants a touchpad you can get one from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/31033286454...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2468wt_1396

It's a legit company whose website couldn't take the load so they decided to sell on ebay instead.

Put me down for donating if android 3.x is ported.

whew!! Bought 2 bout an hour ago from them!! Glad i got in when i did!!

ERIFNOMI

Oct 11, 2010
I went all over looking for one. Four different towns. Closest I got was just missing the last one at a Radioshack.... I'm keeping my eye on BestBuy.com because I know they have a huge stock that they just don't know what to do with and I have a bunch of store credit but no local bestbuy.

frettfreak

Jan 19, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
I went all over looking for one. Four different towns. Closest I got was just missing the last one at a Radioshack.... I'm keeping my eye on BestBuy.com because I know they have a huge stock that they just don't know what to do with and I have a bunch of store credit but no local bestbuy.

I talked to a guy at new egg that said they are considering lowering the price starting Monday because the had a "TON" of stock.

I would go to new egg and put in a price alert.. then you get notified as soon as they lower it! ;)

Reactions: ERIFNOMI

ERIFNOMI

Oct 11, 2010
I talked to a guy at new egg that said they are considering lowering the price starting Monday because the had a "TON" of stock.

I would go to new egg and put in a price alert.. then you get notified as soon as they lower it! ;)

Thank you. I love newegg. Not big on the touchpad but at $150 how can you pass it up. If anything I have a nice toy to play with until a real ICS tablet I can actually use for class comes out.

frettfreak

Jan 19, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
Thank you. I love newegg. Not big on the touchpad but at $150 how can you pass it up. If anything I have a nice toy to play with until a real ICS tablet I can actually use for class comes out.

yeah.. pretty much my thought. If we can get some version of android on it, then it will be all the better. But i think WebOS is alright. Honestly, if HP wouldnt have botched the whole thing, they could have had a contender IMO.

fham

Dec 11, 2008
Spent about 5 + hours instores in SoCal to score one. Zilch.

Walmart: Went to 2 separate stores. First store mentions having two items which sold Friday night. Second store, none in stock. Manager says something about HP instructing corporate to ship all stock back to HP.

Office Depot: 2 stores. Both sold out by 10 am (Sat). Manager in one store confirms no chance of restock.

Staples: Sold out in 2 stores by 9 am.

Best Buy: 2 stores both displaying signs of item being sold out.

Costco: 2 stores. Again one store manager confirms receiving email last night from Costco corporate to send all stock back to HP.

The less said about my online buying tries the better.

jmbradd

Oct 3, 2010

Best Buy is reportedly sending all of their stock back to HP. HP confirmed that they are only temporarily out of stock and should have more in stock after the weekend.

For those interested, the best source of info is here: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3220862

There simply is no substitute for slickdeals.net!

m16-maniac

Oct 7, 2005
i got lucky
i tried and tried all the online stuff to no avail.

i called all the walmarts, targets and staples in my neighborhood but got nothing...
everyone said "you missed it", "we are sold out" etc...

anyhow i called one walmart about 50 miles away and they said they had them but they had never discounted the price yet.

i called back to the store 2x and finally convinced the manager to call some of the other walmart stores

he told me he could not hold the item (against store policy) but he gave me 45mins to get to the store before he went out and discounted the prices.

i was there in one hour (had to get gas and lots of road construction)
the $99.00 were all gone so i got me a 32GB for $149.
30 mins later my son and his girlfriend got the last two.

it was all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I've already seen the sort of "free-for-all" comments, can someone tell me why any missing drivers/files from the published touchpad android dump can't be used? Are there legal reasons or technical?

The dump used a kernel that we do not have. CM are not the types to smack together a bunch of binary blobs. We want to build as much from source as possible. This gives us a much better chance of a smooth transition to Ice Cream Sandwich when Google releases the source.

Another way to look: With binary blobs there is a ceiling that limits how well we can get the Touchpad to work with future versions of Android. A bunch of binary blobs from a Froyo dump will almost certainly not work with Ice Cream Sandwich much less Gingerbread.

Putting in the time and work now will improve the Touchpad's Android support for the future.
    [Discussion] CM7 Port on Touchpad

This is simply a stub to direct you to the discussion at Rootzwiki:
    http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=4011

Majority of my updates will come from twitter @dalingrin or Rootzwiki.

No ETAs!
    SkzBR said:
    Hello buddies,

We all know that ETAs doesnt exists, but what we need to do to get it faster? Maybe if developers make a list of what testings steps...?

What i'm trying to say, is that we need help developers and tries to make it release FASTER helping, and not just blaming the foruns...

So, i'm waiting for a dev reply with instructions.

People like you not making posts like this would help for a start :)

We don't work for you guys, get that straight.
    OK guys, because we really want this to be an open and community effort with full transparency, we are going to be posting our development work over at RootzWiki in addition to here and on our website/wiki. Once we get a stable kernel and port set up, we are probably going to release this as open source and allow people to make ROMs based off of this work.

Nothing is finalized yet, but anyways: tl;dr Development is going to happen at Rootzwiki and on IRC, updates are going to be everywhere (including here), and we are going to have fun doing it.
    Here's a short video of my progress on dual-booting Android and WebOS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qEogR9xC4

NOTE: I haven't successfully gotten Android to run yet.