• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android Auto and Lineage 18.1 Oneplus 8t

Search This thread

Kampfwurst

Jul 24, 2021
I have installed the Lineageos on my oneplus 8t and the Android Auto is not working.
  • lineage-18.1-20210715-nightly
  • open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210724.zip
After flashing i have installed the Android Auto from the store. I can open it on my phone but on the car it shows that its that i should check the phone if the phone supports Andorid Auto.

Can some please help me?

I have installed the Lineageos on my oneplus 8t and the Android Auto is not working.
After flashing i have installed the Android Auto from the store. I can open it on my phone but on the car it shows that its that i should check the phone if the phone supports Andorid Auto.

Can some please help me?
Gapps problem.. search xda forum for solution..

jhford

I have searched for hours. Can you post the solution. I thinks im not the only one with this problem. ;-)
I have a similar problem and I've tried everything, including multiple USB-C cables, but my Moto Power G8 2020 phone won't connect to my Chevy Bolt EV. The infotainment screen always displays the same error message: "Connect a supported device by USB to use this feature." AA is installed on my phone and toggled on in the infotainment system. My phone is rooted, uses Open Gapps Pico for Android 11, and is running the Havoc 4.6 Android 11 Custom ROM. I can connect via Bluetooth which is OK for podcasts, but Maps won't display on the car's screen. I sure would appreciate some help to solve this problem.

hkalman

Nov 21, 2008
I have the same problem with Project Sakura 5.1 what based on Lineage OS 18.1. I found "Android Auto for Phone Screens" what I could start manually and that found my car manufacturer, but doesn't connect to it.

nicosafull

Jul 17, 2014
Buenos Aires
For anyone having problems with OpenGapps and Android auto, try this, it's a matter of placing the android auto apk into the right place, I've had android auto stub apk updated from Play Store (bc opengapps's one contains the bare minimum code to connect to car which won't work) and still didn't work
Hey guys I found a solution for those who can't get Android Auto to display on their car screen with Android 11 and gapps.

So after having issues with the gapps I tried MindTheGapps and Android Auto was working on there. I noticed that when I flashed the ROM Android Auto was installed already, but it was just a little stub app, only about 3 mb. So I decided to copy the folder containing the apk file and install it into a ROM with OpenGapps. The original file was placed in system/product/priv-app, so I copied it there using TWRP then rebooted. It did not work. So I uninstalled all the updates to AA and removed it then pasted it back in, and ended up in a bootloop. So finally I tried installing the stub app in /system/priv-app and rebooted. I then updated AA on the play store and it worked! So it seems that in order to get AA working you need this little stub app that must contain the necessary code to connect to your car. Note that AA will no longer show up in your launcher but you can download the "Android Auto for Phone Screen" app if you need to use it both on your car screen and on your phone in a car without an AA head unit. So the steps are as follows

Copy the attached apk file into a folder called AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt
Completely uninstall AA from your phone, both in user apps and system apps.
Boot into TWRP
Mount System in the "Mount" setting in TWRP
Copy the AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt folder containing the attached apk into system/priv-app/ (or your preferred folder but it needs to be in a system folder, I had a bootloop when I installed it into system/product/priv-app so if something like that happens try a different folder)
reboot your phone
install play store update for AA
set up AA on your phone
Connect to your car.
Enjoy.

Hopefully this fixes the issue for you guys as well. If it does, please let me know!

For reference I am using a US Moto G5 plus XT1687 (Potter) running CrDroid 7.5 with Open Gapps Aroma and Magisk.

This stub app comes from flashing the MindTheGapps package and is in no way my creation, I am simply sharing the apk from it for those who are using open gapps and can't get AA working. Thanks MTG, I couldn't have found this solution without it!​

Clean flash with which Gapps??
Nik Gapps. However LineageOS suggest MindTheGapps for 18.1 versions

G A S T

Apr 20, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 4
Samsung Galaxy S6
For anyone having problems with OpenGapps and Android auto, try this, it's a matter of placing the android auto apk into the right place, I've had android auto stub apk updated from Play Store (bc opengapps's one contains the bare minimum code to connect to car which won't work) and still didn't work

Nope. The new OGApps packages pico/nano for A11 already take account of the requirement, that the stub has to be placed in system/priv-app folder.

What happens after flashing pico/nano and connecting it to the head unit of the car is this:

And in the latest AA build, the following error message shows up which proves that the stub app (or something else in the installation process) is broken:

@Kampfwurst:

All I know is, that this problem is not device specific an you're not the only one who is affected by this. On my dipper it's exactly the same...

Do you have Telegram?

Update - forget what I wrote above about what was taken into account by the OGApps Team. 🤣

They knew what they had to do, but made a mistake and didn't do it right. The priv-app-folder-thing is in deed the cause of all trouble with AA in the new OGApps builds with the included stub app.
The fix is coming soon as you can see here:

So all please just w8 a few days and do no wipes/clean flashes! It's not necessary!

Last edited:
Reactions: hkalman

nicosafull

Jul 17, 2014
Buenos Aires
Nope. The new OGApps packages pico/nano for A11 already take account of the requirement, that the stub has to be placed in system/priv-app folder.

What happens after flashing pico/nano and connecting it to the head unit of the car is this:

And in the latest AA build, the following error message shows up which proves that the stub app (or something else in the installation process) is broken:

@Kampfwurst:

All I know is, that this problem is not device specific an you're not the only one who is affected by this. On my dipper it's exactly the same...

Do you have Telegram?
I've seen that AA bundle is just bad/incomplete, I don't get any USB connection switch as I monitor it's always on "transfer data", I've also seen that MindTheGapps bundle works I just flashed it over OGapps pico version, gonna try later to see if it works or not but I highly doubt it

G A S T

Apr 20, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 4
Samsung Galaxy S6
I've seen that AA bundle is just bad/incomplete, I don't get any USB connection switch as I monitor it's always on "transfer data", I've also seen that MindTheGapps bundle works I just flashed it over OGapps pico version, gonna try later to see if it works or not but I highly doubt it
Pls recognize my update at the end.
Everything will be all right in the next days.

G A S T

Apr 20, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 4
Samsung Galaxy S6
yeah, they've merged the change about 50' ago, and a new version was just released 10 hours ago, so I don't know if it's fixed there or not as it's difficult (at least for me) to track a changelog on each versions
It is definately not fixed yet in the existing builds, but it will be fixed in the builds of the next days, probably with the one on friday.

Reactions: nicosafull

nicosafull

Jul 17, 2014
Buenos Aires
I can confirm this, flashing MindTheGapps over OGapps fixes AA, having it working now

Reactions: hkalman

Brendanus

Mar 6, 2010
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro

Can some please help me?
I have AA working fine on an Android 11 AOSP-based GSI rom (I use CAOS11, on a Blackview BV9600E, Mediatek 6771).
Since AA comes as a system app in Android 11 (no need to flash an app) it may be that the problem is with Lineage-18 OS, if it does not include AA as a system app? Try an AOSP Android 11 rom and it should work.

Update: I have now installed an Lineage-based Android 11 GSI called LiR from the same dev as CAOS11, with GApps included - that seems to work also. It may be the vanilla versions of Lineage-OS 18 that throw problems because they don't have the AA stub.

Last edited:

cheensiong

Nov 6, 2013
With LineageOS 18.1, I couldn't SEE and Launch AA at all. after multiple attempts.
I am running 14th August update on Lenovo Z6 Pro.

after the AA installation, the "Open" button is disabled and failed to locate AA icon in the app drawer.
however it appears in the list under Apps and Notifications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pls recognize my update at the end.
    Everything will be all right in the next days.

@Kampfwurst:

Do you have Telegram?

Update - forget what I wrote above about what was taken into account by the OGApps Team. 🤣

They knew what they had to do, but made a mistake and didn't do it right. The priv-app-folder-thing is in deed the cause of all trouble with AA in the new OGApps builds with the included stub app.
    The fix is coming soon as you can see here:

So all please just w8 a few days and do no wipes/clean flashes! It's not necessary!
    yeah, they've merged the change about 50' ago, and a new version was just released 10 hours ago, so I don't know if it's fixed there or not as it's difficult (at least for me) to track a changelog on each versions
    It is definately not fixed yet in the existing builds, but it will be fixed in the builds of the next days, probably with the one on friday.
    I can confirm this, flashing MindTheGapps over OGapps fixes AA, having it working now