• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android Auto and VPN

Search This thread

ChrizZz90

Jul 23, 2011
A few weeks ago I started using a VPN provider and Android App and had to figure out that AA and VPN aren't friends.

With an active VPN connection, I get an AA error screen, explaining to me that with VPN I can't connect to AA.

But what is the workaround? I am using surfshark and in this app, I can't whitelist AA or whitelist the right apps to make the connection without deactivating the VPN connection in total.

My idea to build a workaround was to build a automize process flow but feels like it is impossible because at least with the Automize app you can't deconnect the VPN connection or check if there is a AA connection available.

What do you do to make friends between AA and VPN?

Reactions: ForeverYoung7

ChrizZz90

Jul 23, 2011
I am using MacroDroid and wrote 2 macros to kill Surfshark if car Bluetooth is available and to start Surfshark as soon as this bluetooth device is disconnected. But in this time I can't use a VPN connection anymore.

I also want to try to whitelist the BMW wifi to try if this is enough. But didn't have time to try this in the past. Keep you posted.

Reactions: ForeverYoung7

ForeverYoung7

Oct 18, 2021
Hi

What settings did you make? Quit the app when connected to Bluetooth from the car or from AAWireless, Android Auto? thanks

ChrizZz90

Jul 23, 2011
I tried to whitelist the AA wifi network of my car in the Surfshark application today, but without success, as Surfshark notices that this wifi doesn't have an internet connection.

@ForeverYoung7 my macro quits the app if my car's Bluetooth is connected and my VPN status is active. If the Bluetooth is disconnected, another macro starts a new instance of Surfshark. Surfshark is configured to auto-connect.

ForeverYoung7

Oct 18, 2021
Screenshot_20211019-134230_MacroDroid.jpg

Can you show me your settings please? Thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A few weeks ago I started using a VPN provider and Android App and had to figure out that AA and VPN aren't friends.

With an active VPN connection, I get an AA error screen, explaining to me that with VPN I can't connect to AA.

But what is the workaround? I am using surfshark and in this app, I can't whitelist AA or whitelist the right apps to make the connection without deactivating the VPN connection in total.

My idea to build a workaround was to build a automize process flow but feels like it is impossible because at least with the Automize app you can't deconnect the VPN connection or check if there is a AA connection available.

What do you do to make friends between AA and VPN?
    I am using MacroDroid and wrote 2 macros to kill Surfshark if car Bluetooth is available and to start Surfshark as soon as this bluetooth device is disconnected. But in this time I can't use a VPN connection anymore.

I also want to try to whitelist the BMW wifi to try if this is enough. But didn't have time to try this in the past. Keep you posted.