Android Auto, is it working for you?

Search This thread

jmelan

Jul 2, 2007
Exact same problem with xav ax100.

No problems with OG XL on 8.0

I think this thread makes it pretty clear this is a pixel 2 XL issue

Thought I would add a working configuration for others with the Sony receiver. No disconnects for the past couple of weeks.

Sony xav-ax100 (1.02.06)
Connected Anker USB 3 6 ft powerline+ A to C directly to back of device
Pixel 2 XL

Prior Google USB cable connected via Sony extension cable did not work. Never tested the new cable with the Sony extension, that may have worked as well.

thekoopakid22

Jul 12, 2014
2 different issues

Okay so as winter approaches the first issue came to light. I've noticed Android auto was crashing immediately after launching but only after returning to my vehicle from overnight. Turns out the temperature of the USB cord was the problem. If it got below ~40° at night the cord would be too cold in the am. Warming the cord up a little completely solved that problem. Hope that helps.

2nd issue is specific to the pixel 2 xl. Connecting the first time isn't the problem, but for example if I'm heading to work and stop for gas, turning the vehicle off causes Android auto to not work when restarting up the vehicle. The only solution is to restart the phone. But if enough time passes between disconnect ( a few hours) then no problem reconnecting.

BabelHuber

Sep 16, 2012
Android Auto itself works fine for me (Audi A4 B9 with MMI+).

I'm using the original wall charger cable from the Samsung Galaxy S7, this seems to be a high-quality cable.

The only problem I have is that I cannot browse through all my music files on the phone, Android Auto just lists the last few which have been played.

Streaming music to the car is the only use case for me - everything else Audi's MMI+ can do much better. I'm just using it because audio streaming doesn't work with my car currently.

Other phones do work, though. I hope this will be fixed with an update from Audi next week, for some other people with the A4 B9 it seems to work.

terre08

May 10, 2012
Thought I would add a working configuration for others with the Sony receiver. No disconnects for the past couple of weeks.

Sony xav-ax100 (1.02.06)
Connected Anker USB 3 6 ft powerline+ A to C directly to back of device
Pixel 2 XL

Prior Google USB cable connected via Sony extension cable did not work. Never tested the new cable with the Sony extension, that may have worked as well.

I have the same except that I use the original Sony extension and it works fine.

Ranger70

Dec 6, 2017
looks like the USB 3.1 cable fixed all my issues. might work for everyone else too

That Monoprice cable totally solved the random disconnect issue between my 2016 VW Golf R and Pixel 2 XL. Thanks for the recommendation! I had previously tried an Insignia-brand cable from Best Buy, and it randomly disconnected every few minutes.

josecorr

Dec 20, 2017
How you make it work?

I have a Chevy Trax 2017 with lastest version of Chevy mylink software, when I plugged my phone to the car using Nexus 6p USB to USB type cable phone charges but AA won't startup on car screen. It does opened up on the phone but not in the car. I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling AA as well as restoring to default car set up, I even tried a different cable and I got the same result. Do you think this could be related to Google making pixel AA function exclusively with their original cables and not generic cables or other brand cables? I am almost ready to get an original pixel 2 xl cable just to test

dbrohrer

Nov 21, 2012
Austin
How you make it work?

I have a Chevy Trax 2017 with lastest version of Chevy mylink software, when I plugged my phone to the car using Nexus 6p USB to USB type cable phone charges but AA won't startup on car screen. It does opened up on the phone but not in the car. I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling AA as well as restoring to default car set up, I even tried a different cable and I got the same result. Do you think this could be related to Google making pixel AA function exclusively with their original cables and not generic cables or other brand cables? I am almost ready to get an original pixel 2 xl cable just to test

I have been using the Anker Powerline+ usb 3.0 braided cable with my wife's 2018 Chevy Equinox with Chevy mylink. I have not had any issues.

Inthus

Jun 7, 2010
I, too, have a 2017 GTI and am experiencing consistent disconnects with my Android Auto on my unit. I was using my small cable from my Nexus 6p. I had another, so I swapped it out and will see if that helps. If not, will likely try one of the cables here linked. 8.1 didn't fix the issue for me.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
Still not working for many people people.

I recently upgraded to the Pixel 2 XL and I love the phone. The one thing I do not like about the phone is that it does not function well with Android Auto. I have been having connection issues and Android Auto locking up after a short period of time. Apparently many people are having this issue with Pixel 2 phones. I find it odd that this subject has not gotten more attention here on XDA. Are there people here that are not having issues? How are you running Android Auto successfully on your car's radio/head unit? Is there a thread here that I'm missing?

After reading hundreds of posts other places I have come to the following conclusions:
* These issues are not related to the radio/head unit. People with factory radios (many different cars) and after market head units (multiple brands) are having the issue.
* These issues are not related to the version of Android being used. As an example Android Auto works fine with the first Pixel phones running Android 8.1.
* Some people have fixed the issue by using a different cable. Others have bought the same cable and continued to have issues.
* Google has known about this issue since at least November and has not resolved it.

For reference here is a thread over at google's product forums discussing these issues:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/MMzfS_EbBt0

To me and many others this appears to be an issue with the Pixel 2 phones. This is really a bummer. I used Android Auto a lot with my last phone and it sucks that it does not work with my Pixel 2 XL. My window for returning my phone is closing quickly and I need to make a hard decision very soon.

BabelHuber

Sep 16, 2012
I recently upgraded to the Pixel 2 XL and I love the phone. The one thing I do not like about the phone is that it does not function well with Android Auto. I have been having connection issues and Android Auto locking up after a short period of time. Apparently many people are having this issue with Pixel 2 phones. I find it odd that this subject has not gotten more attention here on XDA. Are there people here that are not having issues? How are you running Android Auto successfully on your car's radio/head unit? Is there a thread here that I'm missing?

Funnily, I have the exact opposite problem: Android Auto does work flawlessly on my 2017 Audi A4 with MMI+, but I cannot disable it :p

I hate Android Auto's "feature" to only display the tracks which were played recently instead of providing the list of all tracks on the phone. Audi's infotainment system is much better anyways, no need for Android Auto at all.

Unfortunately, as soon as I connect the charger cable, Android Auto starts even though I have set it up to NOT start automatically. And when Android Auto is running, I have to use it to play music. The car's built-in player is disabled, then.

The only "problem" I have is that I have to start Google Play Music and let it run in the background when Android Auto is disabled (= charging cable not connected), otherwise the car doesn't find my tracks.

But I got used to it, I simply have to start Googly Play Music, then bluetooth, then turn on the car's engine. Everything works flawlessly, then. Even for hours.

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
I truly don't understand how Google managed to make this app work more and more poorly since first using it last January in a new vehicle. Back then...it just worked....every time. Now we need special cords to get this to work on our phones. Even after the update the app still fails to launch sometimes. Adding Assistant to it has made voice input even more likely to fail, or more likely to repeat things twice, once in high quality voice and once in low quality. Google created a bug where while streaming music over bluetooth if you use Assistant the music switches to the Voice audio stream when it continues playback instead of the Media audio stream. I have to pause then unpause the music to fix it. Google Maps regularly renders the map like an 8 bit Nintendo game. Many times when going to a new destination if I start the navigation my phone, then plug it in, Android Auto not only kills the navigation, but also erases the destination from the search history so I'm not able to see it in Google Maps on Android Auto. This was an absolute nightmare on a recent trip to Gatlinburg, I almost threw my ****ing phone out the window it was so frustrating. Also.....WHY CAN I NOT SEE ALL MY MUSIC GOOGLE YOU IDIOTS!!!! I almost regret that a car having android auto was the hugest influence on my vehicle purchase over how ****ty this app has become.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Funnily, I have the exact opposite problem: Android Auto does work flawlessly on my 2017 Audi A4 with MMI+, but I cannot disable it :p

I hate Android Auto's "feature" to only display the tracks which were played recently instead of providing the list of all tracks on the phone. Audi's infotainment system is much better anyways, no need for Android Auto at all.

Unfortunately, as soon as I connect the charger cable, Android Auto starts even though I have set it up to NOT start automatically. And when Android Auto is running, I have to use it to play music. The car's built-in player is disabled, then.

The only "problem" I have is that I have to start Google Play Music and let it run in the background when Android Auto is disabled (= charging cable not connected), otherwise the car doesn't find my tracks.

But I got used to it, I simply have to start Googly Play Music, then bluetooth, then turn on the car's engine. Everything works flawlessly, then. Even for hours.
Android Auto now allows phones to be unlocked while connected https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/16/android-auto-now-allows-swipe-up-to-unlock-while-connected/
This might be helpful for you.

Reactions: BabelHuber

tjkrz

Nov 14, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've had a ton of issues since I started using Android Auto, but it's gotten worse in the past week. I'm lucky to get the phone to connect to my 2018 Accord. Seems to work about 10% of the time. I need to unplug/replug, reboot phone to get it to connect. It's so frustrating. Even if I just want to use bluetooth to connect....half the time the two don't see each other. I'm not sure if it's the March security update, or maybe phone is going bad?

MrShibby

Jul 26, 2012
Mosel

After reading hundreds of posts other places I have come to the following conclusions:
* These issues are not related to the radio/head unit. People with factory radios (many different cars) and after market head units (multiple brands) are having the issue.
* These issues are not related to the version of Android being used. As an example Android Auto works fine with the first Pixel phones running Android 8.1.
* Some people have fixed the issue by using a different cable. Others have bought the same cable and continued to have issues.
* Google has known about this issue since at least November and has not resolved it.

For reference here is a thread over at google's product forums discussing these issues:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/MMzfS_EbBt0

To me and many others this appears to be an issue with the Pixel 2 phones. This is really a bummer. I used Android Auto a lot with my last phone and it sucks that it does not work with my Pixel 2 XL. My window for returning my phone is closing quickly and I need to make a hard decision very soon.

Same Problem. The Pixel works for maximum of 2 minutes, sometimes it just shows the AA Button on the car radio (FORD SYNC3) and then disconnects immediately. It worked with my OP3T and Mix2 without a problem. Just the Pixel 2XL having problems. I tried 3 different Cables still no success.
This combined with the poor RAM management of the pixel....
I´m really disappointed in the Pixel and probably getting rid of it ASAP and going for a OP5T.

bigblueshock

Jun 26, 2010
Long Island

There should be an option within Audi's settings to enable/disable Android Auto capability. I have the option on my Ford Sync 3 system at least... Can simply enable/disable. If disabled and I plug in USB to my phone, nothing automatically starts up on phone side or infotainment system.

Reactions: BabelHuber

Horoscope

Aug 5, 2010
Bangalore
Reactions: fliptwister

slg60

Feb 22, 2010
I also used a lot of phones in my Golf 7 GTD and the XL is the only one which works perfectly with no disconnection and so on. Second best was Oneplus 5 which produced one disconnect per week..... For me all this has a lot to do with cabeling and for myself I found the cable which generates nearly no issues. Take the Cable from Oneplus. This cable works pefectly... I ordered another short one from amazon, also no reconnects but sound quality was bad. I thougt that the connection is digital, but sound quality definetly depends on good or bad cable...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my phone today and installed the android auto app, enabled all the permissions, etc. When I plug it into my truck, the android auto tab shows up at the bottom for a brief moment, then goes away. I didn't have any issues like this with my OG XL(which also had 8.0 on it) or my OP3. I tried doing some troubleshooting by reinstalling the app, removing my phone from know android auto devices and enabling USB debugging. Nothing so far has worked. Anyone else having issues? Car is a '16 F-150. Thanks.

ETA: Well, got it working! Went into the app itself and it's settings. Under connected cars, SYNC was listed as "rejected". I cleared all cars and re-added mine. Now it's working great lol!
    I'm having issues as well. I have a 2017 GTI and mines connect similar as the pixel XL, the issue is that the Pixel 2 XL disconnect and reconnect often times and that's very annoying. Probably every 5-10 minutes. I have cleared cache and data from the app and reset the phone and still with the issue. It happens with 8.0 and 8.1
    BTW I'm using the USB cable came with Nexus 6p. Have been using the same one since.
    Negative.

Using a Sony XAV-AX100, works for maybe a minute sometimes at first. Then cuts in and out rapidly. Then other times it won't even recognize it.

Exact same problem with xav ax100.

No problems with OG XL on 8.0

I think this thread makes it pretty clear this is a pixel 2 XL issue
    mine was crashing randomly in 2 cars (2017 CR-V Touring and 2017 Civic Si) with a 6ft USB 2 cable, and a 3ft USB 2 cable (both Benson approved). i tested with the 3ft USB 3 cable that came with my wife's Pixel XL and it works flawlessly. i'm starting to think that it's a USB 2 issue with the throughput needed to "mirror" the screen.

purchased a 3ft USB 3.1 cable from monoprice (https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=24287&seq=1&format=2) and will test with that when it comes in the mail later this week.
    looks like the USB 3.1 cable fixed all my issues. might work for everyone else too

Android Auto now allows phones to be unlocked while connected https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/16/android-auto-now-allows-swipe-up-to-unlock-while-connected/
    This might be helpful for you.