Android Auto, is it working for you?

Search This thread

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
I was facing connectivity issues with couple of cables... Android Auto would randomly not pop up on my Car head unit (faced this issues once in a day).

I ended up buying a new Anker Powerline+ Type C cable (link below)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01GN0M6NE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After getting this cable never had a issue, it connects flawlessly every time... so it Quality of the cable which matters
Just bought one to give it a try. I have bought others people claimed worked. I will let you know. Thanks.

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
I recently upgraded to the Pixel 2 XL and I love the phone. The one thing I do not like about the phone is that it does not function well with Android Auto. I have been having connection issues and Android Auto locking up after a short period of time. Apparently many people are having this issue with Pixel 2 phones. I find it odd that this subject has not gotten more attention here on XDA. Are there people here that are not having issues? How are you running Android Auto successfully on your car's radio/head unit? Is there a thread here that I'm missing?

After reading hundreds of posts other places I have come to the following conclusions:
* These issues are not related to the radio/head unit. People with factory radios (many different cars) and after market head units (multiple brands) are having the issue.
* These issues are not related to the version of Android being used. As an example Android Auto works fine with the first Pixel phones running Android 8.1.
* Some people have fixed the issue by using a different cable. Others have bought the same cable and continued to have issues.
* Google has known about this issue since at least November and has not resolved it.

For reference here is a thread over at google's product forums discussing these issues:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/MMzfS_EbBt0

To me and many others this appears to be an issue with the Pixel 2 phones. This is really a bummer. I used Android Auto a lot with my last phone and it sucks that it does not work with my Pixel 2 XL. My window for returning my phone is closing quickly and I need to make a hard decision very soon.

I'm going to say it's not just Pixel 2 phones. I have a Sony Xperia X Compact that has been having problems since the Oreo update as well as seen mention of Samsung Galaxy S8 phones after the Oreo update. There is definitely an issue involving Oreo, but the exact cause seems to be escaping everyone.

One thing I've noticed in my case is that when Android Auto fails to start, Google Play Services gets stuck with an Android Auto icon in the notifications saying that it is connected to the car. As long as that is there, Android Auto will never automatically start after that. I'll have to go into Developer Options to force stop the service and reboot the phone. And even that won't always work.

Some people have claimed that enabling USB debugging will get things working, but I've had it enabled and it doesn't help. It sometimes helps if I turn it off, turn it back on, clear the pairing on the car and phone, and reboot both systems, but that also doesn't always work.

At this point, I cannot reliably determine a way to get Android Auto to start when it stops working, nor can I determine if it will work the next time I use it even if it does work the first time. It's so infuriating.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
I was facing connectivity issues with couple of cables... Android Auto would randomly not pop up on my Car head unit (faced this issues once in a day).

I ended up buying a new Anker Powerline+ Type C cable (link below)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01GN0M6NE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After getting this cable never had a issue, it connects flawlessly every time... so it Quality of the cable which matters
Well as much as I was expecting this cable to not make the difference for me it actually did. I finally got around to testing this cable on a longer road trip this weekend and it worked. I had a nearly 3 hour drive and it worked the whole time perfectly. I was doubtful because I had tried 3 other cables before trying this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
Used multiple cables. Running Nitrogen June update. Refuses to work on my wife's Mercedes Cla 250, 2018. Just says can't activate device. Tried everything people have recommended.

She plugs her iPhone in with a half destroyed cables, Apple carplay works like a charm. This Pixel is such a piece of garbage half the time.... Haha. But seriously anybothwr ideas?

gewecht

Apr 16, 2013
Denver, CO, US
Fwiw. My fix was manually selecting my 2XL in my 2016 VW Tiguan's AA car's menu, after I did that it connects automatically every time I plug it in.

I have found that turning the USB Debugging option in Developer Settings to OFF helps make the connection more reliable as well. I'm also on a VW 2016 Tiguan. Been generally very happy with Android Auto.

timm9

Jul 14, 2008
Sierras, CA
Android Auto Failure OS Based?

I have been battling this issue since last December after purchasing a Pixel 2XL and receiving the update.

I currently carry two cell phones; one a Google Pixel XL, and the other a Google Pixel2 XL. The Pixel XL is running 8.0 (not letting it update) and the Pixel 2XL is running 8.1 OS and both have an identical installed app list. The Pixel XL will successfully connect to Android Auto in three vehicles equipped with AA Head Units.

If I attempt to connect the Pixel2 XL via the USB cable to any of the three AA head units, Android Auto never launches and will not let me AUX or Bluetooth music, etc. I do notice a ‘flash’ on the screen like it is attempting to launch but does not. It may also display a message indicating that I should ‘stop the vehicle and check the connection on the phone’. It is interesting to note that the issue with Android Auto and the Pixel 2 XL did not start until after the late December update. Once the update installed the Pixel 2 XL would never connect again.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the apps multiple times with no luck. I have done 3 FDR’s on the Pixel2 XL with the same results. I have also swapped out the sims cards and the issue stayed with the Pixel2 XL and did not follow the sims card to the Pixel XL. I have also updated the firmware on both units without success. I have also replaced the USB cable with a factory OEM cable. I have pulled the head unit and ‘wiggled’ the cable at the head unit as well as the device port with no change. I have enable USB debugging with no success. I have been on the phone with Google Tech Support for hours and they refuse to warranty the device even though they have for others. Considering that both Pixels are identical excluding the chipset I keep coming back to the Pixel2 XL or their update being defective.

At this point I have deactivated the Pixel 2 XL and reactivated the Pixel XL and have altered settings so that it can’t update to 8.1.0 and suffer the same outcome. Needless to say, this is my first and last device purchased directly from Google. I love the device but can’t stomach doing business with a company that only wants to BS me with their scripted responses while never getting to the issue after I spent $1,000 for their product. Epic fail Google!

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
Sad situation with Android Auto....was going to maybe throw Android P Beta on the phone just to test. Likely isn't going to work. Obvious issue with the phone itself and Android version running on it. Gosh I wish OnePlus supported Verizon...would ditch this phone is a second and go back to them. Don't care about some minor camera quality issues...I use a $4K DSLR and $5K lens if I want to do some pro quality photos, which is rare. Whatever most phones can muster is usually good enough for everyday photos.

Yeah...what to do...maybe wait for the HTC U12 price to drop down and move back to them...their Dev support is better anyway on XDA IMO, at least not any worse than Google's....haha...

R3define

Sep 16, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Anyone have any updates on this? My XL flashes back and forth between charging and not. I've bought and tried the cable that others have had luck with. Debugging on and off and switching back and forth between plug ins. No dice. This is pretty irritating at this point. :(

famousface

Nov 22, 2010
I have a Pixel 2xl with a 2017 Honda CRV. My old Samsung worked fine but the Pixel kept disconnecting. I bought a thicker cable and it disconnected a little less. I bought the Anker three foot USB C cable which is pretty thick. Doesn't disconnect now. My guess is that the Pixel with the USB C combo is touchy. Had no problems with my Samsung before. At least with the Pixel 2xl, the cable needs to be short and thick so there is no loss otherwise it disconnects. I messed with software, firmware updates, etc. The cable was it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my phone today and installed the android auto app, enabled all the permissions, etc. When I plug it into my truck, the android auto tab shows up at the bottom for a brief moment, then goes away. I didn't have any issues like this with my OG XL(which also had 8.0 on it) or my OP3. I tried doing some troubleshooting by reinstalling the app, removing my phone from know android auto devices and enabling USB debugging. Nothing so far has worked. Anyone else having issues? Car is a '16 F-150. Thanks.

ETA: Well, got it working! Went into the app itself and it's settings. Under connected cars, SYNC was listed as "rejected". I cleared all cars and re-added mine. Now it's working great lol!
    I'm having issues as well. I have a 2017 GTI and mines connect similar as the pixel XL, the issue is that the Pixel 2 XL disconnect and reconnect often times and that's very annoying. Probably every 5-10 minutes. I have cleared cache and data from the app and reset the phone and still with the issue. It happens with 8.0 and 8.1
    BTW I'm using the USB cable came with Nexus 6p. Have been using the same one since.
    Negative.

Using a Sony XAV-AX100, works for maybe a minute sometimes at first. Then cuts in and out rapidly. Then other times it won't even recognize it.

Exact same problem with xav ax100.

No problems with OG XL on 8.0

I think this thread makes it pretty clear this is a pixel 2 XL issue
    mine was crashing randomly in 2 cars (2017 CR-V Touring and 2017 Civic Si) with a 6ft USB 2 cable, and a 3ft USB 2 cable (both Benson approved). i tested with the 3ft USB 3 cable that came with my wife's Pixel XL and it works flawlessly. i'm starting to think that it's a USB 2 issue with the throughput needed to "mirror" the screen.

purchased a 3ft USB 3.1 cable from monoprice (https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=24287&seq=1&format=2) and will test with that when it comes in the mail later this week.
    looks like the USB 3.1 cable fixed all my issues. might work for everyone else too
    Funnily, I have the exact opposite problem: Android Auto does work flawlessly on my 2017 Audi A4 with MMI+, but I cannot disable it :p

I hate Android Auto's "feature" to only display the tracks which were played recently instead of providing the list of all tracks on the phone. Audi's infotainment system is much better anyways, no need for Android Auto at all.

Unfortunately, as soon as I connect the charger cable, Android Auto starts even though I have set it up to NOT start automatically. And when Android Auto is running, I have to use it to play music. The car's built-in player is disabled, then.

The only "problem" I have is that I have to start Google Play Music and let it run in the background when Android Auto is disabled (= charging cable not connected), otherwise the car doesn't find my tracks.

But I got used to it, I simply have to start Googly Play Music, then bluetooth, then turn on the car's engine. Everything works flawlessly, then. Even for hours.
    Android Auto now allows phones to be unlocked while connected https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/16/android-auto-now-allows-swipe-up-to-unlock-while-connected/
    This might be helpful for you.