Android Auto, is it working for you?

Search This thread

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
I don't want to call the fix... But for sure it's cable related. I haven't had a single issue since changing cables while the original one I was using wouldn't work at all or world crash within 5 minutes with a USB error.

BasedxPepe

Nov 5, 2017
Oh wow. I'm having problems with my 2016 VW GTI. When you say you went into the cars' android auto menu do you mean you went to the screen that says android auto, carplay, media link , and clicked at the bottom left? Also, are you using the cable that came with your pixel? I feel like I've tried everything .

I was having troubles getting my VW's system to recognize the phone. I kept getting USB device not supported. That is until I went into my cars android auto
menu and manually selected my Pixel 2 XL. After doing that, Android auto connects automatically when I plug it in.

Seems to connect about as fast as my OG Pixel (7.1.2 & 8.0), and op3t.

lorax70

Jan 19, 2017
Albuquerque
Oh wow. I'm having problems with my 2016 VW GTI. When you say you went into the cars' android auto menu do you mean you went to the screen that says android auto, carplay, media link , and clicked at the bottom left? Also, are you using the cable that came with your pixel? I feel like I've tried everything .

Mine is, Menu -> Android Auto -> Devices

In Devices I'll have the 2XL button, after selecting that. No more connectivity problems. Fwiw, I'm not using the regular cable. Any good quality cable should do.

bigblueshock

Jun 26, 2010
Long Island
Cable is made by Anker, bought on Amazon. It was part of a 2 pack of USB-C to USB-C 2.0 and USB-C to USB-A 3.0 cables. Ordered in Jan this year, it's no longer available, but there are plenty of Anker cables on Amazon.

I'm assuming you're using the "USB-C to USB-A 3.0" in your car? Considering I don't know of any cars which come with USB C from the factory...

wawdallas

Nov 10, 2017
17' VW GTI Pixel 2 XL Connectivity Issue

I'm having issues as well. I have a 2017 GTI and mines connect similar as the pixel XL, the issue is that the Pixel 2 XL disconnect and reconnect often times and that's very annoying. Probably every 5-10 minutes. I have cleared cache and data from the app and reset the phone and still with the issue. It happens with 8.0 and 8.1
BTW I'm using the USB cable came with Nexus 6p. Have been using the same one since.

Have a 17' GTI as well with the Pixel 2 XL and it will connect, but seems to be serious sensitivity with the USB C jack. I can do at times if I play with a little and just leave it alone and not disturb it in any way. I don't have a USB A to USB C cable from Google, using the one that worked like a champ with my Galaxy S8 Plus. I was going to purchase another and see if it would help, but seeing others are having the same issue, I am wondering if it some connection issue with the VW software and the Pixel 2. Guess I will have to continue to experiment and research. Just don't understand why this can't be a Bluetooth function instead of a cable needing to be attached. We think we are progressing away from cables and we get suckered back into them.

strawnj

Apr 19, 2011
Manhattan
I use AA on the phone, not connected to the car's nav. So my only connection with the car is bluetooth. It seems my problem is dropping bluetooth every 5-10 mins and that causes AA to freeze. Also, when I ask to play music via Google Play, AA crashes. Frustrating!

jasonfreeland

Aug 6, 2010
Count me as another that had to change cables, to get it to work. The cable that worked with my Nexus 6P would not work at all with my Pixel 2 XL.

irwin.brent

May 12, 2015
re:Auto

3 separate cables and still no soup. The crashes are not predictable either. Sometimes I can get to work (about 20 minutes), sometimes it's 3 minutes in.

veetvoojagig

Sep 26, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Same. 2016 Veloster Turbo Tech package. 6P cable, a Belkin micro USB with adapter, and a 4 foot Modal branded one from Best Buy. Absolute random crashes. Haven't heard anything decent back from Google either.

enzoevo

Jan 21, 2011
Somewhat Beautiful Virginia
Add me to the list. Periodic crashes with no regularity, except to say it happens at least once every trip. I've tried at least 5 different cables including the Google issued cable. Always happens. This never happens with my Nexus 6 or 6P running Oreo. I've submitted bug reports to Google, and have seen others complaining on Google's issue tracker. I also have issues with the USB port auto-sensing when it's plugged into a PC or the USB headphone adapter. I have to manually select the USB function under developer options. Not sure if all these issues are related. It's f'ing annoying at every rate.

Adding my car:
Volvo XC90

Last edited:

Rogue_Blade

Apr 26, 2015
Android Auto/Pixel 2 XL issues fixed by enabling USB debugging

Alot of people are having success by enabling USB debugging. It worked for me.

martinomac

Jun 28, 2011
Toronto

bigblueshock

Jun 26, 2010
Long Island
Android Auto officially updated to 2.8.5745

Just a FYI,

Android Auto was officially updated to 2.8.5745 on 11/28/17

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-2-8-5745-release/

May not have rolled out to everyone yet, however you can install the APK manually if you really want to test it ASAP.

On the official Google forums, it's reported this has fixed several peoples disconnection/crashing problems.

ewans

Apr 18, 2007
Big problems here until i change cables to the headunit (Kenwood) and made the USB debugging change. Still get the odd crash.

Lucke

Oct 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
mine was crashing randomly in 2 cars (2017 CR-V Touring and 2017 Civic Si) with a 6ft USB 2 cable, and a 3ft USB 2 cable (both Benson approved). i tested with the 3ft USB 3 cable that came with my wife's Pixel XL and it works flawlessly. i'm starting to think that it's a USB 2 issue with the throughput needed to "mirror" the screen.

purchased a 3ft USB 3.1 cable from monoprice (https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=24287&seq=1&format=2) and will test with that when it comes in the mail later this week.

Lucke

Oct 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
mine was crashing randomly in 2 cars (2017 CR-V Touring and 2017 Civic Si) with a 6ft USB 2 cable, and a 3ft USB 2 cable (both Benson approved). i tested with the 3ft USB 3 cable that came with my wife's Pixel XL and it works flawlessly. i'm starting to think that it's a USB 2 issue with the throughput needed to "mirror" the screen.

purchased a 3ft USB 3.1 cable from monoprice (https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=24287&seq=1&format=2) and will test with that when it comes in the mail later this week.
looks like the USB 3.1 cable fixed all my issues. might work for everyone else too

Reactions: Ranger70

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my phone today and installed the android auto app, enabled all the permissions, etc. When I plug it into my truck, the android auto tab shows up at the bottom for a brief moment, then goes away. I didn't have any issues like this with my OG XL(which also had 8.0 on it) or my OP3. I tried doing some troubleshooting by reinstalling the app, removing my phone from know android auto devices and enabling USB debugging. Nothing so far has worked. Anyone else having issues? Car is a '16 F-150. Thanks.

ETA: Well, got it working! Went into the app itself and it's settings. Under connected cars, SYNC was listed as "rejected". I cleared all cars and re-added mine. Now it's working great lol!
    I'm having issues as well. I have a 2017 GTI and mines connect similar as the pixel XL, the issue is that the Pixel 2 XL disconnect and reconnect often times and that's very annoying. Probably every 5-10 minutes. I have cleared cache and data from the app and reset the phone and still with the issue. It happens with 8.0 and 8.1
    BTW I'm using the USB cable came with Nexus 6p. Have been using the same one since.
    Negative.

Using a Sony XAV-AX100, works for maybe a minute sometimes at first. Then cuts in and out rapidly. Then other times it won't even recognize it.

Exact same problem with xav ax100.

No problems with OG XL on 8.0

I think this thread makes it pretty clear this is a pixel 2 XL issue

looks like the USB 3.1 cable fixed all my issues. might work for everyone else too
    Funnily, I have the exact opposite problem: Android Auto does work flawlessly on my 2017 Audi A4 with MMI+, but I cannot disable it :p

I hate Android Auto's "feature" to only display the tracks which were played recently instead of providing the list of all tracks on the phone. Audi's infotainment system is much better anyways, no need for Android Auto at all.

Unfortunately, as soon as I connect the charger cable, Android Auto starts even though I have set it up to NOT start automatically. And when Android Auto is running, I have to use it to play music. The car's built-in player is disabled, then.

The only "problem" I have is that I have to start Google Play Music and let it run in the background when Android Auto is disabled (= charging cable not connected), otherwise the car doesn't find my tracks.

But I got used to it, I simply have to start Googly Play Music, then bluetooth, then turn on the car's engine. Everything works flawlessly, then. Even for hours.
    Android Auto now allows phones to be unlocked while connected https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/16/android-auto-now-allows-swipe-up-to-unlock-while-connected/
    This might be helpful for you.