Question Android Auto - Phone gets hot

Search This thread

Deekayy

Jan 29, 2010
As the title says. I guess you can say I'm using a generic USB-C cable to activate android auto. I noticed that the phone gets warm to hot but not to the point where it would cause over heating issues. Anybody else experiencing this problem or recommend a USB-C cable to use for android auto?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I haven't had any problems. I use the phone in my car with Android Auto every day. I'm using a high-quality Anker cable, however. I was using an old USB-C cable that I had from my 2016 HTC 10, but if my wife or I grabbed our phones, it would lose connection, so I finally replaced it. I already had the Anker cables - was just trying to use up my old cables first. :D

Edit: This is the package of Anker cables I grabbed the 3 foot cable out of, but this isn't available on Amazon at least any more, but just as an example. Anker Powerline USB-C to USB Cables (5-Pack: 4-inch, 3ft, and 6ft) for USB Type-C Devices Including Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8+, S9, S10, iPad Pro 2018, MacBook, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10 and More

I would get this Anker cable if I needed one today. Powerline+ USB C to USB 3.0. I'm not clear on if every Android Auto car uses USB 3.x - I had one phone that only have a USB 2.x USB-C port and it still worked, but my first Android Auto car, the USB-A ports were blue, which is supposed to mean USB 3.x. I refuse to buy any USB cables that don't at least support 3.x though, as someday I might want to use that cable for data.

Last edited: