Android Auto vs Android Head Unit?

Search This thread

Robbie Doo

Jan 3, 2011
SoCal
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
I vote for Android Auto due to the fact it is set up to make thing safer and to distract the driver less.

Voice activation works great.

It's still in it's infancy stage, so I assume it'll get much better as time goes on - and more apps are created to accommodate it.

It's simplistic, and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I agree with you. It's still in its simplistic stage but in time it'll get better. I think it differs from one vehicle to another dependent on the manufacturer's installed HU. We'll see!

Grewe02

Jan 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
What a coincidence this thread was updated today... I have had it tabbed open in chrome for about a week and finally found time to read this thread this morning.

I'm very interested in this topic, and comparing the two platforms. I have never had anything besides a regular old CD player in my dash and am ready to upgrade. I really like the pricetag of the CHUs, but I am not too keen on providing it with a hotspot / 3g chip, or the long boot times. On the other hand, I really like the idea behind AA, how your phone really controls everything. It seems like there are less things that could go wrong, less to worry about, less to deal with.

Then again, like this thread has repeated so many times, AA is very limiting. And we all have androids mainly for the reason of user control and customization. I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone who has used both systems and what they like / dislike about each.

theLotusCube

Feb 28, 2014
I've had both android auto and Apple car play as my head unit has both. Essentially they are the same just one is OS and the other is android. I enjoy android much more but they both have same functions it's all on preferences on snitch system you like more and tbh they are both fairly expensive

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

@ slickdonkey, I can't reply to your post directly because I'm still a new user but Tbh it depends on the head unit brand because the OS running it is just fine for both

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Then again, like this thread has repeated so many times, AA is very limiting. And we all have androids mainly for the reason of user control and customization. I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone who has used both systems and what they like / dislike about each.

I've never owned a Chinese HU, but am avoiding them so far because they all seem to have many little problems that are unlikely to ever be fixed, to say nothing of being forever stuck on Android 4.4 or earlier.

I think most flexible is Pioneer HUs that support AA, CarPlay, AND AppRadio.

AppRadio with the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded app allows full mirroring of your phone to the HU. Voila: An HU that "runs" whatever your phone runs. And with the option of going to AA or CarPlay if needed.

Reactions: Sir_Nomad49

Irzack

Jul 17, 2015
I own newsmy car pad 2 with 8" screen. Fantastic unit and the guys doing xdauto rom make this unit shine. Yes you need to buy a USB mic for voice commands but GPS is very accurate. Only disappointing thing is the wattage 22wx4 I believe

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Myplayerxd

Mar 10, 2015
For me, I have yet to see an Android head unit without deal breaking issues. Crappy in-call experience, radio, music setup and performance, Bluetooth, etc.

I just don't need that when I'm driving. I do miss not having Torque on AA, but it's just not worth putting up with all the other issues in order to have it.

Trust me, if someone made an Android head unit that was like a Nexus with a decent audio section, I'd be all over it, but it doesn't exist. I have thought about putting a tablet in my truck with a good preamp and amps, but there are too many issues, not the least of which is not being able to see it with polarized shades on.
well thats not true because i got on my new toyota corolla 9" android head unit and its working great and i also have one in my opel corsa and it has a few problems the was fix in a few minuts like radio but thats it on the corolla (2015) the radio is better then what it was before and the system look pretty nice seem like android 5.0 when you using it and i truely recomend it , its great for me to use itube on my car without using cables or dumb bluetooth just use it from the unit
and when talking to the unit i can hear and talk without any isuee so i disagree with what you are saying sorry but
for me this unit is just great

ReppinTheSouth

Nov 15, 2010
I got the pioneer 4100avh and l live it. I have an iPod so I can still get music off of there and scroll the whole library. I hate the fact it starts songs or albums over when sending a text or making a call.

As far as android auto goes I love it. My only gripe is I can't scan the entire Google play library. That is frustrating but I am trying to find ways around that.

All in car media headunits are built with safety in mind. For example the 4100 has a DVD player but to watch it or iPod videos the car must be in park. There are hardwired devices around that which I have but I believe even factory HUs have the same thing. To expect less is unrealistic in my opinion. I don't like the limitations but I completely understand them. If you want the full functionality of your phone then get a mirroring app to do it.

I have 0 experience with android head units but they do sound interesting. If they're Chinese made that is a deal breaker. I have a back up camera on my car and I went through 3 or 4 cheap Chinese made cameras in a couple of years. They would stop working out of no where. Thanks but no thanks on the no name units.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

aergern

Mar 1, 2010
San Anselmo
I got the pioneer 4100avh and l live it. I have an iPod so I can still get music off of there and scroll the whole library. I hate the fact it starts songs or albums over when sending a text or making a call.

As far as android auto goes I love it. My only gripe is I can't scan the entire Google play library. That is frustrating but I am trying to find ways around that.

All in car media headunits are built with safety in mind. For example the 4100 has a DVD player but to watch it or iPod videos the car must be in park. There are hardwired devices around that which I have but I believe even factory HUs have the same thing. To expect less is unrealistic in my opinion. I don't like the limitations but I completely understand them. If you want the full functionality of your phone then get a mirroring app to do it.

I have 0 experience with android head units but they do sound interesting. If they're Chinese made that is a deal breaker. I have a back up camera on my car and I went through 3 or 4 cheap Chinese made cameras in a couple of years. They would stop working out of no where. Thanks but no thanks on the no name units.

I have a 80GB library of music on my 6P and Google Play Music has trouble with basic functions when using it with Android auto so my solution was playlists and the largest I've found that doesn't work is around 12GB of music. It's where GPM goes squirrelly. So I have several under that and they work fine.

My 8100NEX and your 4100NEX are technically Android head units as they run Android 4.2.2 as their OS. It's just that Pioneer doesn't make cheap garbage. My wife's '16 Accord runs the same version of Android ie. Jellybean but it has a different skin.

You and others could find out that most of these head units run Android 4.2.2 by looking at the firmware update zip files that the manufacturers post on their site. The current for your 4100 is 1.05 (same ver as mine) and each update above 1.0 have been fixes for Android Auto to make it better. Once the zip is unzipped in prep to put it on an SDcard or USBstick .. you can wander through the install files and see that the kernel version is Linux and matches 4.2.2 Jellybean. :)

ReppinTheSouth

Nov 15, 2010
I have a 80GB library of music on my 6P and Google Play Music has trouble with basic functions when using it with Android auto so my solution was playlists and the largest I've found that doesn't work is around 12GB of music. It's where GPM goes squirrelly. So I have several under that and they work fine.

My 8100NEX and your 4100NEX are technically Android head units as they run Android 4.2.2 as their OS. It's just that Pioneer doesn't make cheap garbage. My wife's '16 Accord runs the same version of Android ie. Jellybean but it has a different skin.

You and others could find out that most of these head units run Android 4.2.2 by looking at the firmware update zip files that the manufacturers post on their site. The current for your 4100 is 1.05 (same ver as mine) and each update above 1.0 have been fixes for Android Auto to make it better. Once the zip is unzipped in prep to put it on an SDcard or USBstick .. you can wander through the install files and see that the kernel version is Linux and matches 4.2.2 Jellybean. :)

The playlist thing is a good idea. I could break my library up and be able to scroll through. Not ideal but better then nothing. What I am actually working on is putting my music on an SD card and inserting that directly into the headunit. I have to get the tags right because right now it sorts album tracks alphabetically and not by the track number. I am an audio head and I also noticed the music from Google play isn't as high of quality as the music from either the iPod or the SD card. It's not a huge difference but noticeable. I'm not saying this is happening but it's like the iPod/SD card are 192kbps and GPM is 128kbps.

aergern

Mar 1, 2010
San Anselmo
The playlist thing is a good idea. I could break my library up and be able to scroll through. Not ideal but better then nothing. What I am actually working on is putting my music on an SD card and inserting that directly into the headunit. I have to get the tags right because right now it sorts album tracks alphabetically and not by the track number. I am an audio head and I also noticed the music from Google play isn't as high of quality as the music from either the iPod or the SD card. It's not a huge difference but noticeable. I'm not saying this is happening but it's like the iPod/SD card are 192kbps and GPM is 128kbps.

I think it's GPM that is at issue with the amount of music it will handle properly when talking to AA because AA really just takes it's queues from GPM. What would be ideal for me is that PowerAMP's dev gets the new version out with AA support because PowerAMP is quite good. The problem is that I can't control PowerAMP's BT streaming when the 6P is linked up to AA or at least I haven't tried to get it to work properly that way yet.

AA/GPM should play mp3's and other files at the bitrate they are encoded at. I do not believe it reduces the quality on it's own. 99% of my music was either ripped by me from CD before I stopped buying CD's .. or I've bought though Amazon an theirs are 320kb. The noticeable thing for me is just the era that songs are recorded in and the levels they did in the studio. I don't think unless an 80's song is remixed that it will sound as good as something recorded and mastered in '15. The equipment just wasn't as good. I don't sweat that though. I do wish the EQ in the NEX series had more Custom options than 2 ... unless I missed something. It's presets are ... ok .. but not great. And having just 2 custom EQ settings to swap between is crap. :eek:

ReppinTheSouth

Nov 15, 2010
I think it's GPM that is at issue with the amount of music it will handle properly when talking to AA because AA really just takes it's queues from GPM. What would be ideal for me is that PowerAMP's dev gets the new version out with AA support because PowerAMP is quite good. The problem is that I can't control PowerAMP's BT streaming when the 6P is linked up to AA or at least I haven't tried to get it to work properly that way yet.

AA/GPM should play mp3's and other files at the bitrate they are encoded at. I do not believe it reduces the quality on it's own. 99% of my music was either ripped by me from CD before I stopped buying CD's .. or I've bought though Amazon an theirs are 320kb. The noticeable thing for me is just the era that songs are recorded in and the levels they did in the studio. I don't think unless an 80's song is remixed that it will sound as good as something recorded and mastered in '15. The equipment just wasn't as good. I don't sweat that though. I do wish the EQ in the NEX series had more Custom options than 2 ... unless I missed something. It's presets are ... ok .. but not great. And having just 2 custom EQ settings to swap between is crap. :eek:

GPM probably does play at the bitrate it was encoded at. It's funny you mention the EQ settings because that is where I noticed the difference in the sound. I have component speakers and subs and I listen to a lot of bass heavy music. As I was trying to set up my EQ I would bounce between GPM and my iPod. My speakers would pop on one source and not the other. I then would play the same song on one and then the other and I could hear the difference.

aergern

Mar 1, 2010
San Anselmo
GPM probably does play at the bitrate it was encoded at. It's funny you mention the EQ settings because that is where I noticed the difference in the sound. I have component speakers and subs and I listen to a lot of bass heavy music. As I was trying to set up my EQ I would bounce between GPM and my iPod. My speakers would pop on one source and not the other. I then would play the same song on one and then the other and I could hear the difference.

Also, I found out tonight on the way home that GPM has a playlist limit of 999 songs. I had a playlist with 2066 songs in it and GPM itself would only address 999. I split that playlist up by 33.3% and I'm just noting that until another player gets AA support .. my playlists are hobbled. What a POS. I have yet to try my iPod Classic with this deck ... not sure I want to do more work arounds and other crap. I'm gonna stick with the 6P and GPM for now so I can make sure both Custom1 and Custom2 are solid. I've got things pretty solidly split between 2 tweeters in the dash and four decent Fosgate speakers in my doors along with a sub ... I'm in a king cab midsize truck so I'm not going for competition level just a good balance and crisp, clear sound. My main genres are 80's rap, Metal and random crap.

AA is so friggin new that I sometimes think us early adopters are beta testing it. But then again on another thread an XDA'er said " I went Apple and have had no issues. " which I know to be a friggin lie as my wife's '16 Accord has both and they run on Android 4.2.2 with a different skin and she has an iPhone 6. She still has issues with Carplay.

ReppinTheSouth

Nov 15, 2010
Also, I found out tonight on the way home that GPM has a playlist limit of 999 songs. I had a playlist with 2066 songs in it and GPM itself would only address 999. I split that playlist up by 33.3% and I'm just noting that until another player gets AA support .. my playlists are hobbled. What a POS. I have yet to try my iPod Classic with this deck ... not sure I want to do more work arounds and other crap. I'm gonna stick with the 6P and GPM for now so I can make sure both Custom1 and Custom2 are solid. I've got things pretty solidly split between 2 tweeters in the dash and four decent Fosgate speakers in my doors along with a sub ... I'm in a king cab midsize truck so I'm not going for competition level just a good balance and crisp, clear sound. My main genres are 80's rap, Metal and random crap.

AA is so friggin new that I sometimes think us early adopters are beta testing it. But then again on another thread an XDA'er said " I went Apple and have had no issues. " which I know to be a friggin lie as my wife's '16 Accord has both and they run on Android 4.2.2 with a different skin and she has an iPhone 6. She still has issues with Carplay.

My wife has an iPhone but I have yet to try it to see how car play works. If your phone is rooted, there is an app that will let you completely mirror your phone on the screen. I think it's $30. I can't remember the name of it but I've seen people on here talking about it. That would solve the issue of not limiting the playlist size or what you can view. I thought about doing that but I like the simplicity of AA. I just hate that I can't view all of my music.

IPod classic........ yeah. So I have an 80 gig iPod classic that would have been the perfect solution. I bought the cable off of amazon and everything. I can view my whole library just how I want. Sounds good right? Problem is whenever I ask Google a question or send or read a text, the song I'm listening to will start over, the album will start over, or it will go to the very first song on the iPod. It may not sound annoying but it is. I had a Kenwood dnx headunit I bought in 2007 and it didn't do that. I think the problem is when you access certain features, the hardrive shuts off. I can hear it starting back up when I get done sending the text or whatever. I tried an iPod touch which has a flash memory and it worked flawlessly. Pioneer should be able to fix that. That is the reason I moved on from the iPod to the SD card. If all your music is on an SD card on your phone, you may want to give it a shot. It's not voice activated like GPM but it will get the job done. I don't think it'll be too difficult to set up your EQs. I figure putting in the work now will be worth it in the long run. No need to settle. I commend android for trying to make AA safe for drivers, but the GPM viewing limits just isn't going to cut it. I tried Amazon Prime and something else thinking maybe it was just a GPM issue but I quickly found out that is just how AA is set up to work. Still love the headunit though.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
My wife has an iPhone but I have yet to try it to see how car play works. If your phone is rooted, there is an app that will let you completely mirror your phone on the screen. I think it's $30. I can't remember the name of it but I've seen people on here talking about it.

AppRadio Unchained Reloaded: http://xdaforums.com/general/paid-software/android-4-0-root-appradio-unchained-t2955966

Needs root, $30 and a Pioneer HU that supports Appradio.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
i recently bought the 10.1 pumpkin android stereo and everything works out of the box. i paid $418..well worth it

Please come back in 30 days or so and let us know if you are still as happy.

I hate to be a "downer", but reading the forums I can see that many people come across many little problems in day to day usage, and they post on XDA asking if anyone has solutions.

Of course, as always, people who are happy are less likely to post. And if you are happy, that's great and I'm happy that you're happy. I'm not posting just to criticize and be a "hater". :)

Are you OK with this device having Kitkat, and likely no upgrade ever to Lollipop ?

Last edited:

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I hate to be a "downer", but reading the forums I can see that many people come across many little problems in day to day usage, and they post on XDA asking if anyone has solutions.

Of course, as always, people who are happy are less likely to post. And if you are happy, that's great and I'm happy that you're happy. I'm not posting just to criticize and be a "hater". :)

Are you OK with this device having Kitkat, and likely no upgrade ever to Lollipop ?

it has been over 3 months and if anything were to happen i would either try to fix it or exchange it for a new one..yeah im fine with kitkat..now if a new android unit comes out i would get it

Reactions: mikereidis

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
it has been over 3 months and if anything were to happen i would either try to fix it or exchange it for a new one..yeah im fine with kitkat..now if a new android unit comes out i would get it

I'm REALLY wondering when we'll see the first Chinese HU supporting Lollipop. I will strongly consider buying one and would like to support my Android Auto Headunit app on it, if possible (none of the current devices has good enough H.264 decoding it seems.)

Android 5.0 has been available on Nexus for over 14 months now (November 2014), and we had a developer preview in June, 2014.

aergern

Mar 1, 2010
San Anselmo

The Pioneer Nex series runs Android 4.2.2. and quite well I might add. They update Android Auto about every 60 days with fixes and whatnot.

My question is ... why does running Marshmallow (Lollipop isn't the top dog anymore) is even a question. The underlying OS is skinned and as long as it does what we want ... it's not running games or any apps that require the OS to be the newest and shiniest version. It just requires the latest Android Auto and as long as Google puts out the updates for the headunit makers and the app on our phones ... again why should we care?

Reactions: jbone2186

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen some threads where people are talking about porting android auto to an android head unit. I have also seen some threads where people are talking about putting android auto on a tablet or phone that they plan to mount in their car. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the rationale for either of these. If you have an android head unit, don't you already have all of the capabilities of android auto built into your head unit? Similarly if you are going to mount a phone or tablet on your dash then why not use those apps that are already native to your phone/tablet?

The reason I ask is because I'm in the market for a new car stereo and the differences in cost between an aftermarket head unit with android auto and an android head unit (i.e. no-name chinese brand, etc) seem quite large. I've seen the reviews on here, Youtube and other places for some of the Chinese units and they seem very feature rich. Please help me make a list of pros and cons to buying a head unit with Android Auto and an Android Head Unit. Here are just a few that I can come up with.

Android Auto Pros:
    - brand name likely with superior product support
    - likely better stock stereo features (HD radio, RDS, Sirius XM, etc
    - it is "safer" because it doesn't allow searching long music lists, etc while driving
    - As long as the firmware can be updated to include later Android versions, when you want to update your Android phone its a lot easier than updating an entire stereo when a newer version of Android on Android HUs become available.

Android Auto Cons:
    - Not all phones are supported from what I understand
    - Some popular apps are not supported (i.e. Pandora
    - Requires phone to be connected via USB. I'm not sure if this is necessarily a con however, because I'm assuming if you are using your phone as a hotspot you may need to have it plugged in regardless.
    - While I'm not sure about this (correct me if I'm wrong), but I assume since you're mirroring your phone apps to a non-android device there is another layer of technology that can have bugs in and of itself
    - Requires additional apps on your phone eating up space and resources
    - relatively expensive

Android Head Unit Pros:
    - No need for specific phone support
    - Any app you can download on the app store you can use in your dash. Not that I'm going to be watching netflix driving down the road, but maybe my passenger wants to look up a good mexican restaurant on Yelp while we're driving.
    - You can use a wifi hotspot other than your phone to provide the wireless signal if you want
    - You can root these if they are not already rooted and run custom rom
    - You can run Torque
    - relatively cheap for what you get

Android Head Unit Cons:
    - It seems like most of these are Chinese brands with little product support from the [unkknown] manufacture
    - many complaints about internal mics and whatnot (although thanks to sites like this there are some workarounds for that)
    - I'm guessing the quality of the stereo itself is probably not as good as when you purchase US brand name deck.

I can understand why the general public (mom, dad included) might see a benefit in having a car with an OEM-included Android Auto stereo if they're already using an Android phone and they like it. However for people who frequent this site, barring intellectual curiosity or being an audiophile who needs a top-of-the-line Pioneer deck and wants to be able to make hands-free calls or use Google Maps, I want to know why you all would choose a stereo with Android Auto vs an Android Head Unit. Thanks in advance for discussing this.
    I have seen some threads where people are talking about porting android auto to an android head unit. I have also seen some threads where people are talking about putting android auto on a tablet or phone that they plan to mount in their car. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the rationale for either of these. If you have an android head unit, don't you already have all of the capabilities of android auto built into your head unit? Similarly if you are going to mount a phone or tablet on your dash then why not use those apps that are already native to your phone/tablet?

Android enthusiasts with a budget consider MANY details and tradeoffs before deciding on a new phone or tablet. Do I NEED NFC ? Can I make do without an SDCard and only 32 GB ? What size is best ?...

Similarly, those of us looking for automotive infotainment solutions have a complex set of needs and desires, and many different solutions all with their own pros and cons, as your post shows... :)

A person running my Headunit app for Android Auto (AA) on a phone or tablet, with or without another connected phone/tablet/device can get the integrated Android Auto experience at low, or no cost.

Run the app on your existing Android 5+ device in standalone mode and you've got AA for no additional cost. Or buy a Nexus 7 2013 for $150 new, run it standalone, or USB (or Wifi) connect to your phone. Quick, simple, cheap and upgradeable/hackable. Add a $20 car mount and a cheap cigar lighter outlet charger and plug it in.

Want better sound than crappy small speakers ? Plug headphone jack or do BT connect to an existing amp or HU.

Worried about theft or frying by cold or hot temperatures ? Remove phone/tablet from mount and take it with you when parked. $150 tablet breaks ? Buy a new one...

With my Headunit app for AA, you can "Recent Apps" away to home-screen and any other app. Then go back to the AA environment. Yes, some issues like sound require stopping and later restarting my app, but that's not so bad.

Some people will like the integrated, low distraction environment of AA.

Many Android enthusiasts will prefer the ability to easily run any Android app. Some of those apps may be very distracting, and WILL get you ticketed in many jurisdictions. Youtube is going to be "frowned on" at best by almost any cop.

The reason I ask is because I'm in the market for a new car stereo and the differences in cost between an aftermarket head unit with android auto and an android head unit (i.e. no-name chinese brand, etc) seem quite large. I've seen the reviews on here, Youtube and other places for some of the Chinese units and they seem very feature rich. Please help me make a list of pros and cons to buying a head unit with Android Auto and an Android Head Unit. Here are just a few that I can come up with.

There's a current thread wherein the OP feels he wasted his money on the Chinese HU (can we call them CHUs ?), and is wondering whether to get a different one or just go for a more expensive HU.

Many users seem to be happy with the CHUs, but I think many are unhappy as well. IMO many people get blocked by "gotcha's" and there are many annoying things in the software that nobody anywhere seems to be interested in fixing.

To me, Android 4.4.4 (at best) is almost an insult in late 2015 when Android 6.0 is about to be released (and has been running pretty well on my Nexus9 and other's 5's and 6's for months now.)

For those who like to tinker on the "bleeding edge" there are boards that run Android that can be hooked to touch-screens. I'm looking at this with a "96boards" project someone has started. $75 board designed by, and runs the latest Android from Qualcomm.

I think one dynamic here is that respected HU manufacturers don't want to provide full mirroring of smartphones, or an internal Android OS, lest they be sued into oblivion by distracted driving deaths and maimings.

The CHU OEMs are in China and would laugh if someone threatened to sue them.

And yeah, tablet in a car will have issues with temp/humidity and reliability, and USB connections are not "auto grade" and Wifi has issues too.

So, no perfect solution. Same as no perfect phone, tablet or person...
    I don't buy the 'android auto is safer' argument - does self control not exist anymore? You can configure an android head unit to just have 5 icons & hide the status bar if you want.
    For me, Android auto is far too limiting. On my Android head unit I can customise everything exactly to my taste & what I want to see.

I agree in wishing that there was a 'premium grade' option of android HU & not just Chinese no name built to the lowest cost options & would gladly pay a bit more for quality DACs, regular software updates etc, but the latest models really aren't that bad.

I've never owned a Chinese HU, but am avoiding them so far because they all seem to have many little problems that are unlikely to ever be fixed, to say nothing of being forever stuck on Android 4.4 or earlier.

I think most flexible is Pioneer HUs that support AA, CarPlay, AND AppRadio.

AppRadio with the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded app allows full mirroring of your phone to the HU. Voila: An HU that "runs" whatever your phone runs. And with the option of going to AA or CarPlay if needed.