• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android becoming closed source?

Search This thread

affigne

Feb 20, 2013
Hey there, long time no chat in this forum

So, with all the recent censorship scandal by big companies such as Twitter and Facebook, many 'suspicious' things have been happening recently. For example, with Twitter's suspension of Trump's personal account, people has been moving on to Parler (a somewhat more "free-speech" oriented alternative to Twitter). But yesterday, Google removed the app from the Play Store and Apple threatened with doing the same if they don't adjust their censorship policies.

Of course, non-jailbroken iPhone users are screwed with the app and have to use the web version, but Android users are still able to download it via 3rd-party app stores and websites such as apkpure. And considering this last bit I ask you:

Do you think Google would be willing to make Android closed source to enforce their censorship policies in the future?

Hope to read yout thoughts on this one

andres_vacal

Dec 2, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
Hey there, long time no chat in this forum

So, with all the recent censorship scandal by big companies such as Twitter and Facebook, many 'suspicious' things have been happening recently. For example, with Twitter's suspension of Trump's personal account, people has been moving on to Parler (a somewhat more "free-speech" oriented alternative to Twitter). But yesterday, Google removed the app from the Play Store and Apple threatened with doing the same if they don't adjust their censorship policies.

Of course, non-jailbroken iPhone users are screwed with the app and have to use the web version, but Android users are still able to download it via 3rd-party app stores and websites such as apkpure. And considering this last bit I ask you:

Do you think Google would be willing to make Android closed source to enforce their censorship policies in the future?

Hope to read yout thoughts on this one
I really don´t think so, but I think (in the future) that using certain features and having full access to the device will be more complicated, such as Huawei's devices, you literally need to register and get their permission to get the bootloader unlocked.

tremalnaik

Jul 30, 2018
LG G5
What I see in the recent censorship is that it's all about Trump and the extremists following him, and this demonstrates two things:
1) Twitter is clearly not supporting Trump as it's becoming more and more out of control.
2) Twitter always said it was for free speech, but when they saw that free speech is what gathered the BuffaloMan and his fellows at Capitol Hill, well, then free speech became a danger.
So if you plan to overthrow some african or asian government, they will let you do it, but if you try to overthrow the government of US, then it becomes a problem😆
In any case, Twitter, Google, Apple, and all the other companies are private, independent companies, with their own regulations. In my opinion there's nothing wrong if they block someone or some products in their platform or store. It's like a golf club banning a member or a shop owner not selling anymore a product.
If Trump wants to start his own social network, he can do it, unless what he does on the site is against US laws.
So, in conclusion, i'm not worried about Android becoming closed source, as this wave of censorship regards a specific group of people, and also because being open source is what made Android's wide success possible. And while Android is successful, Google can push their already closed source Play Services on the devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasTechProjects
Jan 16, 2021
When I saw this thread title, I feared that this was recent news and the ROM scene was over. When I read this thread, I took a sigh of relief even if the post is complete nonsense. To answer your question: No, Android is not going closed source and nobody is censoring anybody. If Android were to go closed source it would have to find an entirely different kernel to use as the Linux kernel is open source and open sourceness is a key principle for Linux-based OSes. And Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc are all private companies and get to decide who can and can't use their platforms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What I see in the recent censorship is that it's all about Trump and the extremists following him, and this demonstrates two things:
    1) Twitter is clearly not supporting Trump as it's becoming more and more out of control.
    2) Twitter always said it was for free speech, but when they saw that free speech is what gathered the BuffaloMan and his fellows at Capitol Hill, well, then free speech became a danger.
    So if you plan to overthrow some african or asian government, they will let you do it, but if you try to overthrow the government of US, then it becomes a problem😆
    In any case, Twitter, Google, Apple, and all the other companies are private, independent companies, with their own regulations. In my opinion there's nothing wrong if they block someone or some products in their platform or store. It's like a golf club banning a member or a shop owner not selling anymore a product.
    If Trump wants to start his own social network, he can do it, unless what he does on the site is against US laws.
    So, in conclusion, i'm not worried about Android becoming closed source, as this wave of censorship regards a specific group of people, and also because being open source is what made Android's wide success possible. And while Android is successful, Google can push their already closed source Play Services on the devices.