[Android] ClockworkMod Recovery not installing

Search This thread

nemosomen

Jul 23, 2009
So, when you install the Alpha CyanogenMod 7 build, chances are ClockworkMod Recovery will fail. This tends to be because the custom overclocked kernels in WebOS take up a lot of room in the /boot partition, and ACMEInstaller does NOT (And maybe cannot) resize this partition. If you want to use ClockworkMod, you need to boot it via novacom.

1. Unzip the update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip file into the same directory as Novacom.
2. Make sure your TouchPad is plugged into your computer, and reboot it while holding volume up. You should see a USB icon.
3. In the command line, browse to the directory Novacom is installed in.
4. Type this into the command line prompt:
Code:
novacom boot mem:// < uImage.ClockworkMod

You should now be able to flash gapps or whatever else you need to install (Except moboot, which you need to use ACMEInstaller to install)

Novacom is probably installed in: "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc" for most users.

To get there in the command line, type:
Code:
C:
cd "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\"
Then you can continue on to step 4.

27scoob

May 24, 2010
Thanks for this info , it worked great. So am I to assume if I remove overclock Kernel thenI wont have this problem and will be able to install CWM through ACme with no problems ?

Edit. Tried to uninstall F15C to no avail.

Last edited:

Komodo Rogue

Oct 30, 2010
DC
Thanks for this info , it worked great. So am I to assume if I remove overclock Kernel thenI wont have this problem and will be able to install CWM through ACme with no problems ?

I don't know, but I kinda suspect not, because I brought my touchpad back to stock and *completely* wiped my touchpad before installing CM7, and I had problems with installing CWM through ACME. I don't understand the inner workings, but that seems like it may answer your question?

OP: Thanks!!!

Reactions: 27scoob

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
The oc kernels get written to the main boot partition... I'm unsure which, but one of the oc kernel's can consume too much space, not leaving enough room to flash cwm... try booting into webos and removing your oc kernels... and try again... you don't have to flash the entire thing... you can just flash the cwm with the acme installer...

Propergood

Jun 1, 2011
Kent
Hold home and power, go back to USB download, start ACME install process from step one. If you follow instructions exactly, it should all work. There are occasions where you need to do the same thing twice... but your patience will pay off.

27scoob

May 24, 2010
Yeah I tried to remove the F15C overclock kernel and do just that with the installer . No dice , can't remove the OC kernel go to remove it and reboot to replace and it just reboots into F15C then in Preware go to put the stock kernel on goes through shows install asks for restart and just boots F15C back again .. I have also tried to just flash the CWM zip afew times throught the installer and get the error half way through about there not being enough available space..ugh..

WebOS Doctor

Tried several times, but the recovery boot did not respond, i see the menu options, backup/restore, reboot, install from ZIP, etc... but when I select the options they didnt do anything...

After several tries I decided, let me start all over so I installed webos doctor. Unfortunately I cannot share the link here..

Unfortunately after I ran it and finally clicked DONE, my touchpad wont boot, has a battery icon with a question mark inside. (The battery level should be at least 25% before you run WebOS Doctor). I left it charging for at least an hour but still on the same status, so I assume it got bricked when running the webos doctor. If the battery just went bad at the same time it would be a big coincidence.

There is a chat support which seems to be pretty good. DO NOT TELL THEM that you were trying to install Android, I assume you all know that lol..

portal dot webos dot com (Sorry, couldnt share the link here)

If battery doesnt work in an hour or 2, then I may have to send it back to repair...

Daps

Jun 2, 2006
My CVM recovery works.
When I did the install yesterday I put the cm install,cvm,mboot and market all in the cminstall folder everything installed except the cvm, went back into webos and put it back in the cminstall folder and ran the ACMEInstaller again and it was there this time.

Used the CVM to install the google market update this morning.

I had Webos O/C also

Stroid01

Nov 5, 2010
Atlanta,GA
I installed mboot, cm7, and cwm with acmeinstaller and my CWM works just fine. Flashed gapps with it no problem....seems like a strange problem for you and misleading if you ask me

crump84

Feb 19, 2011
The Gump
I had a similar issue getting clockwork to flash. The problem is that some custom kernels take up too much space in the boot partition and doesnt leave enough room for cwm. Changing your webos kernel should fix the problem.

Sent from my Android powered Tenderloin

Stroid01

Nov 5, 2010
Atlanta,GA
I had a similar issue getting clockwork to flash. The problem is that some custom kernels take up too much space in the boot partition and doesnt leave enough room for cwm. Changing your webos kernel should fix the problem.

That actually makes perfect sense to me...i probably never had an issue due to the fact i didnt mess with my webos kernel.

+1 for you sir

27scoob

May 24, 2010
I installed mboot, cm7, and cwm with acmeinstaller and my CWM works just fine. Flashed gapps with it no problem....seems like a strange problem for you and misleading if you ask me

Nothing strage or misleading the OC kernel is the culprit.. Just cause it orks fine on one device does not mean different things will happen on others ...Thats how things work and how this thread got started...

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Yeah I thought the smae thing but I can not remove the F15C kernel.. I go through preware and uninstall , reboot , F15C boots up and then go back into preware and install stock kernel and then reboot and F15C still boots up. I have not tried to start from scratch with the Web DR. ... just trying to see if there are any other avenues try first..It's been fun trying to figure some out though lol...

crump84

Feb 19, 2011
The Gump
Nothing strage or misleading the OC kernel is the culprit.. Just cause it orks fine on one device does not mean different things will happen on others ...Thats how things work and how this thread got started...

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Yeah I thought the smae thing but I can not remove the F15C kernel.. I go through preware and uninstall , reboot , F15C boots up and then go back into preware and install stock kernel and then reboot and F15C still boots up. I have not tried to start from scratch with the Web DR. ... just trying to see if there are any other avenues try first..It's been fun trying to figure some out though lol...

If you can't switch kernels you may have to use the doctor. Thats actually what I did before I found out about the kernel size. I didnt really care as I dont plan on using WebOS.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

zuifon

Aug 20, 2008
I have restored the palm kernel.

But ACMEInstaller doesn't resize partition a second time !

Is there a way to force the installation ?

Last edited:

nemosomen

Jul 23, 2009
The boot partition cannot be resized, at least not by ACME. That is the problem. In my opinion, pushing Clockwork Recovery via USB is preferable to uninstalling an OC'd kernel. You should rarely need to use Clockwork Recovery, and in fact, most things you would normally install using it would, in the case of the Touchpad, not work.

zeke395

Jan 5, 2011
michigan
: (

I know this is kinda old but im new to this, But im having this problem, I just installed CM9 and it boots nd everything, But no gapps, I went to go flash them and clockwork mod disappeared. So i stumbled on to this, When it goes to flash threw novacom It blinks the linus penguins and white words then gos backinto the boot loader with no Clockwork Recovery. I tried twice, What do i do? :confused:

dreamliner77

Nov 20, 2011
Weymouth, MA
Just trying to install Android on the TP for the first time... I seem to also be having this problem. Is there an update to this problem? Any new fixes? Or is everyone just dealing with either getting rid of an overclocked kernel or being tethered to a PC to get into CWM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, when you install the Alpha CyanogenMod 7 build, chances are ClockworkMod Recovery will fail. This tends to be because the custom overclocked kernels in WebOS take up a lot of room in the /boot partition, and ACMEInstaller does NOT (And maybe cannot) resize this partition. If you want to use ClockworkMod, you need to boot it via novacom.

1. Unzip the update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip file into the same directory as Novacom.
    2. Make sure your TouchPad is plugged into your computer, and reboot it while holding volume up. You should see a USB icon.
    3. In the command line, browse to the directory Novacom is installed in.
    4. Type this into the command line prompt:
    Code:
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage.ClockworkMod

You should now be able to flash gapps or whatever else you need to install (Except moboot, which you need to use ACMEInstaller to install)

Novacom is probably installed in: "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc" for most users.

To get there in the command line, type:
    Code:
    C:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\"
    Then you can continue on to step 4.

I don't know, but I kinda suspect not, because I brought my touchpad back to stock and *completely* wiped my touchpad before installing CM7, and I had problems with installing CWM through ACME. I don't understand the inner workings, but that seems like it may answer your question?

OP: Thanks!!!
    In case anyone is still facing this problem - I did today, and fixed it. Here goes:

1. Extract uImage.ClockworkMod from the clockwork zip file and place it in the SD Card of the Touchpad - you can do this in WebOS or in Android
    2. Boot to Android if you are in WebOS
    3. Open Terminal Emulator, type su and hit enter (accept the Super User prompt). Make sure you have enabled Root Access for Apps if you face any issues here (Settings > Developer Options > Root Access)
    4. The following commands have to typed in the Terminal
      Code:
      mount -o rw,remount /boot
      cd /booti
      cp /sdcard/uImage.ClockworkMod
      chmod 644 uImage.ClockworkMod
      reboot

The Touchpad would now reboot and show the moboot options - you should see ClockworkMod as the 3rd option if all went well.

Just a heads up if you are installing cyanogenMod 9
    You will need update-cwm_tenterlion-1012
    See this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1539194