Question Android Data Recovery - How to recover data (Photos) from an accidental resetted Android Phone

Search This thread

tamilslvn

Jun 2, 2023
Hi, Guys !

I know i'm asking for a lot by enquiring how to recover from an accidental format of an Android Phone. But please help me with this situation, as i'm in desperate need to recover some of my photos from my android phone as it's the only remainder of my past 2 years memories. So, Please kindly help me with this situation, guys !

My mobile is Redmi Note 10 Pro - (8GB + 128GB) variant ( Indian Model aka Sweetin ) and is running on MIUI 14.0.1.0 with Android 13.

Please provide me with any possible solution to do the data recovery.

I'm in desperate need of help. So, It would be very much grateful to me if you could help me with this situation and i will always be thankful for the entire forum community.

tamilslvn

Jun 2, 2023

Wow, is that so @ jwoegerbauer . I knew it could be repeatedly asked topic but didn't know it would be that much prevlant. Thank You. I'll check and will return if i can't find the solution that i needed.​

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Wow, is that so @ jwoegerbauer . I knew it could be repeatedly asked topic but didn't know it would be that much prevlant. Thank You. I'll check and will return if i can't find the solution that i needed.​

Welcome to XDA.
Short answer; the time to back up critical data is gone along with that data.
If it was me I would write off that data as KIA.

You could run it by some data recovery services, if possible it wouldn't be easy or complete.

CaptRicXT912

Aug 2, 2014
There are some product software apps that can help, but like anything it will take $$$.. I not very qualified to be of help directly.. just keep asking around.. and search your topic issue for the type phone on XDA, in that group you may find some help. .. Wish you the best..

CaptRicXT912

Aug 2, 2014
Android Data Recovery\NetFrameCheck try this product, by Ultra tenorshare ultdata for android mod edit;link removed

MOD ANNOUNCEMENT
As per Forum Rule 11 (quoted below), the link has been removed. It seemed that the link was possibly a paid affiliate link (as it does not link to the official company's software page). In any case, the software you link is trialware and is thus considered "for-pay products or services" and members are not to "use XDA to advertise your product or service".
11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
  • Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
  • Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.

Your cooperation is appreciated,
simplepinoi177 FSM

Last edited by a moderator:

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Guys !

I know i'm asking for a lot by enquiring how to recover from an accidental format of an Android Phone. But please help me with this situation, as i'm in desperate need to recover some of my photos from my android phone as it's the only remainder of my past 2 years memories. So, Please kindly help me with this situation, guys !

My mobile is Redmi Note 10 Pro - (8GB + 128GB) variant ( Indian Model aka Sweetin ) and is running on MIUI 14.0.1.0 with Android 13.

I'm in desperate need of help. So, It would be very much grateful to me if you could help me with this situation and i will always be thankful for the entire forum community.
Unfortunately, Android OS is much different from say a Windows OS where most kinds of formatting ("quick") simply "marks" the disk/partition as ready for all data to be overwritten and thus not visible -- until actual data is written on it (overwriting the original data), the original data remains; which is why data recovery software works in those cases. I can't imagine Android OS works in the same way.
You can't even consider physical data recovery as with HDDs where one can send it to a "lab" and they can attempt to extract the physical data on the discs (in the mid $4 figures at least); I'm uncertain if the same can be said with SSDs or the storage "chip" on smartphones -- but I can't imagine it's even close to similar (considering the fact that SSDs have a limited write capability vs. HDDs) or financially viable enough of an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

tamilslvn

Jun 2, 2023
I will tell the truth of what happened to my mobile's accidental formatting which lead me into this situation. It was me trying to downgrade my Android OS MIUI 14.0.1.0 (Android 13) to previous version as you know MIUI is a buggy OS.

Before downgrading my MIUI, I did two major mistakes that led me into this situation.
1) One is thinking that I have successfully backed up my data (which I’m not - at that time so ignorant of me), I was so cocky to meddle with the android ADB commands

2) And the second is stupidly not knowing what would happen to my data in the mobile when I was about to type the command of 'fastboot oem lock'.

Out of curiosity I typed that command because I thought that I had successfully backed up my data and typing 'fastboot oem lock' command will just in case makes up to double check that my bootloader is locked safe and securely. Then the mobile just got rebooted and voila! the android OS – MIUI welcome screen appears, which shocked me to the core.[ I will regret that mistake for all eternity – and a hard way for me of learning a lesson of not to mess with any ADB commands]

Note : I did not see that coming. Who the heck would expect that a 'fastboot oem lock' command would do a factory reset too. I knew that unlocking would do that, but I would have not expected that to happen during a lock procedure.

Always learning the Android and it’s inner mechanisms the hard way at the cost of my life’s time and memories. I wish this not happen to anyone from here onwards. It sucks. It shouldn’t be like this. Why God, why ?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I will tell the truth of what happened to my mobile's accidental formatting which lead me into this situation. It was me trying to downgrade my Android OS MIUI 14.0.1.0 (Android 13) to previous version as you know MIUI is a buggy OS.

Before downgrading my MIUI, I did two major mistakes that led me into this situation.
1) One is thinking that I have successfully backed up my data (which I’m not - at that time so ignorant of me), I was so cocky to meddle with the android ADB commands

2) And the second is stupidly not knowing what would happen to my data in the mobile when I was about to type the command of 'fastboot oem lock'.

Out of curiosity I typed that command because I thought that I had successfully backed up my data and typing 'fastboot oem lock' command will just in case makes up to double check that my bootloader is locked safe and securely. Then the mobile just got rebooted and voila! the android OS – MIUI welcome screen appears, which shocked me to the core.[ I will regret that mistake for all eternity – and a hard way for me of learning a lesson of not to mess with any ADB commands]

Note : I did not see that coming. Who the heck would expect that a 'fastboot oem lock' command would do a factory reset too. I knew that unlocking would do that, but I would have not expected that to happen during a lock procedure.

Always learning the Android and it’s inner mechanisms the hard way at the cost of my life’s time and memories. I wish this not happen to anyone from here onwards. It sucks. It shouldn’t be like this. Why God, why ?
I lost a whole database that was 30 year old because I got lacksidaisical with backup.
Nothing to do but learn from your mistakes.

Always assume the data on the Android will be lost and backup redundantly to at least two hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Keep a backup on the PC as well. You can never have too many backups!!!
Copy/paste then verify the file size and if readable.
Never clone data drives, Never password protect data drives...

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
means it writes a new set of superblocks to storage
Since the files were deleted, either the new nor the old superblock holds any information about it. The best practice would be to search for raw data/file signatures on the partition. That's what file recovery tools do. But you need an unlocked bootloader and root or a custom recovery to get access on /dev/block/by-name/userdata. If you have access then it's a good idea to create an image of the block and use it for recovery actions.

tamilslvn

Jun 2, 2023
Since the files were deleted, either the new nor the old superblock holds any information about it. The best practice would be to search for raw data/file signatures on the partition. That's what file recovery tools do. But you need an unlocked bootloader and root or a custom recovery to get access on /dev/block/by-name/userdata. If you have access then it's a good idea to create an image of the block and use it for recovery actions.
You also mentioned this in another Android Data Recovery post that to make a image of the data partition.

1686378270677.png

I followed that instructions and went to successfully pull the image. First i unlocked the bootloader then installed a custom recovery ROM - OrangeFox TWRP, rooted the mobile using magisk and took the image (107 GB) !! Ok. What are the recovery actions ? Now what to do after taking the image ?

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
I followed that instructions and went to successfully pull the image. First i unlocked the bootloader then installed a custom recovery ROM - OrangeFox TWRP, rooted the mobile using magisk and took the image (107 GB) !! Ok. What are the recovery actions ? Now what to do after taking the image ?
bootloader unlock erases your /data partition. Installing Magisk and use it means that /data gets encrypted again because you boot into system...

Since you want to recover photos (I assume *.jpg) you need to search for it's file signature FF D8 FF E0 with a hex editor.

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
Remark:

Assumed the Android OS is a userdebug build and dump should get stored on drive C: on Windows PC then these 3 lines
Code:
adb devices
adb root
adb exec-out "dd 'if=/dev/block/by-name/data/media/0 bs=4096' 'of="C:\dd.img'"
would have given you same result.
that's what he did but with adb pull

tamilslvn

Jun 2, 2023
Hi Guys ! Just a small status update. I learned some stuff about the 'Autopsy' software in YouTube and did the scan. After running the scan of the adb pulled image of data partition i don't know where to go on to the next step. P.S : I did take a look at the files in HxD Hex editor and i don't know how to find the header file and do the data recovery/extraction stuff. Help me with this situation.

1686750344164.png

1686754361758.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The mentioned BLR Data Recovery Tool may help to retrieve lost or deleted data from BitLocker protected disks.
    Any apps from playstore and PC softwares that says it can do Android data recovery is a waste of time. I learned that the hard way. As mentioned in many XDA forums that modern android is encrypted, so it's impossible to do data recovery without encryption keys or unencypted mobile storage. The use of that apps requires to boot the android, root the android so that the app can work and it ultimately leads to the usage of mobile which causes data to be over written and the storage 'trim' process which runs in the background as it is a flash memory storage causes data to be eradicated.

So in a nutshell, Android Data Recovery Apps and PC softwares are a waste of time to me.
    I personally advise not to use them as they are a waste of time.
    Have you ever tried this

Hi, Guys !

Unfortunately, Android OS is much different from say a Windows OS where most kinds of formatting ("quick") simply "marks" the disk/partition as ready for all data to be overwritten and thus not visible -- until actual data is written on it (overwriting the original data), the original data remains; which is why data recovery software works in those cases. I can't imagine Android OS works in the same way.
    You can't even consider physical data recovery as with HDDs where one can send it to a "lab" and they can attempt to extract the physical data on the discs (in the mid $4 figures at least); I'm uncertain if the same can be said with SSDs or the storage "chip" on smartphones -- but I can't imagine it's even close to similar (considering the fact that SSDs have a limited write capability vs. HDDs) or financially viable enough of an option.

I lost a whole database that was 30 year old because I got lacksidaisical with backup.
    Nothing to do but learn from your mistakes.

Always assume the data on the Android will be lost and backup redundantly to at least two hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Keep a backup on the PC as well. You can never have too many backups!!!
    Copy/paste then verify the file size and if readable.
    Never clone data drives, Never password protect data drives...
    The mentioned BLR Data Recovery Tool may help to retrieve lost or deleted data from BitLocker protected disks.