Search This thread

mru007

Mar 29, 2015
Hey guys,
I have a query on recovering data from Android phone's internal storage.
The phone is J7 Pro (SM-J730GM) and I am trying to recover some deleted data from the phone.

I have tried UltData for Android but it only lists the data that is already present on the phone...it does not show the deleted data.
I tried DroidKit and it clearly states that 'Root required for Deep Scan'. Only quick scan available which is same as UltData (lists only data that is already present).

I did some research and it seems that without root, it is not possible to recover lost/deleted data.

I was wondering if anyone here has some knowledge/experience about this topic?
Is there any reliable tool out there that can recover data WITHOUT root? Or using commands via ADB shell ?

Root is the last thing I want to go for as it may sometimes brick the device.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Even if you can recover files... the file and folder structure is lost forever. Jpegs will have no exif data, no time stamp etc. It will be a real mess.
Say, what? Having written JPEG decoders I can (fairly) confidentally say that EXIF metadata is contained in APP1 segments inside the JPEG.
Code:
C:\>jpgview photo.jpg
Size:     4000 x 3000
Make:     motorola
Model:    moto g power (2021)
Taken:    11/27/2022 08:46:37 GMT
GPS2D:    12.3456, 123.4567
(Coordinates have been edited.)

mru007

Mar 29, 2015
Hi everyone,
Just an update -

First, I tried to root the device using Magisk and it was not successful.

I tried another method using TWRP.
I tried to root the device using SuperSU and it was not also successful.
"Could not mount /data" error and the process failed.

Basically, TWRP is not able to decrypt the internal storage of device.
And yes, I tried different versions of TWRP but same error popped up all the time.

To remove this error, the workaround that I saw everywhere was from TWRP, go to Wipe -> Advance -> repair /data, then if this does not work, change to FAT/exFAT and back to Ext4.

The error was fixed but unfortunately, this wipes the data.

Both rooting methods failed for this phone...Magisk (patched boot.img) and TWRP (SuperSU install).

I concluded that it was like a cat & mouse game...

Without root, deep data recovery was not possible. But root called for storage decrypt, which wipes data...I believe.
So no chance of data recovery whatsoever.

Anyways, I have now flashed Stock ROM via ODIN and everything is back to normal. I'll soon handover the phone to my uncle.

Thank you all for your support...I really appreciate it 🙏🏻

I wish we get such a technology soon that it's easier for common folks like me to recover lost data/deep scan without root on Android.

The root process for some phones have too many variables.
Depending on different phone models, each person keeps getting different errors, and each one having different solutions.
And all of this does consume a significant amount of time.

In the future, maybe a sophisticated Data Recovery AI tool could expedite the process and help in such cases.

Reactions: alecxs

Ggff5

Mar 1, 2019
Oh yeah so I have a running system and I want to run testdisk or photorc In termux to recover deleted files
Why can't I do that ?
Force encryption?
Or can I do that ?

borfolk

Apr 22, 2018
Novo mesto
No, but you could do the following when TWRP runs:
1. Download the ADB/Fastboot tools here.
2. Extract the downloaded ZIP to C:\ and open the new created folder C:\platform-tools. You should see single files like adb.exe or fastboot.exe
3. In the address bar of your Explorer windows type cmd and hit Enter.
4. Connect the phone in TWRP mode via USB to your desktop PC and execute
Code:
adb devices

which should give you a output like this:

Code:
C:\platform-tools>adb devices
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
<SERIAL_NO>      recovery
If any errors then tell us!

5. Execute
Code:
adb pull /dev/block/by-name/userdata
This pulls an image of your data partition right into the current folder C:\platform-tools.
But be aware!! The data image is as big as your total internal storage!
So, make sure there is enough free space on your storage.

If you successfully pulled the image, then I will explain you how to rescue the deleted data on it.
Hello, if you can help me, how to rescue the deleted data from image? Image have no filename extensions?

markweston

May 18, 2023
Spiez, Switzerland
There have been prior software or tools that you can say needed root access to scan for deleted files like photos, videos, documents, and so on. But now, with advanced research and development, some of the reputed data care service providers have come up with some Android data recovery software that does not require any root access, it just that you need to install the software on your PC and plug in your android phone and it will directly scan for the deleted files and will show you the preview of the recovered files which were initially lost from your android device.
You can use any of the Android Data Recovery software that does not require root access to recover the deleted data.
Let me know, if you need further help!

• Haha
Reactions: WoKoschekk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    um, nope... thumbnail scanners
    Great! I'll update here once I progress further. Most probably, now I'll get time on weekends. Let's see...
    For TWRP use this link:

The version linked by you seems not to be able to decrypt /data.
    Root is the last thing I want to go for as it may sometimes brick the device.
    First of all, unlocking the bootloader will erase all data of your internal storage.

To recover deleted files you investigate your storage to find file signatures.
    When deleting a file only the corresponding entry in the partition table will be erased. But the data of your file itself remains physically on your storage until it gets overwritten.
    Best practice for that is to create an image file of your entire storage. But at least you will need full access to your data partition '/userdata'. That requires an unlocked bootloader to install a custom recovery like TWRP and/or root. Both give you full access to /userdata at all levels, increasing your chances of successfully recovering your files.

Factory reset: Files that have been deleted by a factory reset are due to encryption of internal storage (file based) almost unrecoverable. Wiping all data also deletes the decryption key stored in the system. During the next boot process /userdata (which is empty) gets encrypted again but with different keys.

It's not mandatory to have root permissions but you must have an unlocked bootloader.
    If I just install TWRP, does it pose a risk to automatically wipe data?
    If your bootloader is already unlocked, it is very good news for you. TWRP doesn't unlock bootloader or wipe your data.

Any options in TWRP itself to recover deleted data?
    No.

Follow the steps properly with the correct files to root your device.

Once successfully rooted, install a good data recovery app and try to recover your lost files.

Important thing to remember is that the more files you copy or install (i.e. the more changes you make to your file system), the lesser chance there will be to recover data because the system tries to use the space occupied by deleted data to write new files to it.

So do one thing at a time and make as little changes as possible to root your phone and install the data recovery app. Do your research first to find out the best options.

All the best!
    Any options in TWRP itself to recover deleted data?
    No, but you could do the following when TWRP runs:
    1. Download the ADB/Fastboot tools here.
    2. Extract the downloaded ZIP to C:\ and open the new created folder C:\platform-tools. You should see single files like adb.exe or fastboot.exe
    3. In the address bar of your Explorer windows type cmd and hit Enter.
    4. Connect the phone in TWRP mode via USB to your desktop PC and execute
    Code:
    adb devices

which should give you a output like this:

Code:
    C:\platform-tools>adb devices
    * daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
    * daemon started successfully
    List of devices attached
    <SERIAL_NO>      recovery
    If any errors then tell us!

5. Execute
    Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/by-name/userdata
    This pulls an image of your data partition right into the current folder C:\platform-tools.
    But be aware!! The data image is as big as your total internal storage!
    So, make sure there is enough free space on your storage.

If you successfully pulled the image, then I will explain you how to rescue the deleted data on it.