• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Android Factory Reset/Setup Inconsistencies

Search This thread
Sep 1, 2014
Sorry for the long post but this has been bothering me for years now. It happened on my 2XL and now on my 6Pro. Maybe someone smarter than me who understands software/hardware knows the reason behind this. But WHY when I do a factory reset does each time through the setup (Android 12 in this case) feel different??

1. Firstly, why is it called a factory reset when it obviously retains at least SOMETHING on the device? For example after a factory reset, the next time through the Android 12 setup it automatically populated my gmail account into the field.

2. Once through the setup it was giving my Google Fi app errors: [X] Close the app [X] wait, etc. This seemed to go away after I went through the setup, updated all the apps multiple times, THEN hit "finish google fi installtion", THEN doing another factory reset during which that error no longer appeared.

3. Even screens during the setup seem glitchy or inconsistent. I've see some screens reappear a second time like after inputting fingerprints. I click the button to move on, and it asked me again about fingerprints. I ACCEPTED and thought I'd have to redo it all, but then it just moved on.

So yea, in summary it feels like every time through it's something different. Is this just android? Maybe someone can help me better understand this phenomenon.

eg1122

Oct 5, 2009
Roma, Tx
I also had issues with Fi activating. It finally did it once I had finished setting up the phone. Maybe it needed an update? As far as something being retained like Gmail, this usually happens when you wipe from fastboot as this does not wipe the security of the phone. If wiping from within the OS via settings this should not happen. Not sure about the others.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Sorry for the long post but this has been bothering me for years now. It happened on my 2XL and now on my 6Pro. Maybe someone smarter than me who understands software/hardware knows the reason behind this. But WHY when I do a factory reset does each time through the setup (Android 12 in this case) feel different??

1. Firstly, why is it called a factory reset when it obviously retains at least SOMETHING on the device? For example after a factory reset, the next time through the Android 12 setup it automatically populated my gmail account into the field.

2. Once through the setup it was giving my Google Fi app errors: [X] Close the app [X] wait, etc. This seemed to go away after I went through the setup, updated all the apps multiple times, THEN hit "finish google fi installtion", THEN doing another factory reset during which that error no longer appeared.

3. Even screens during the setup seem glitchy or inconsistent. I've see some screens reappear a second time like after inputting fingerprints. I click the button to move on, and it asked me again about fingerprints. I ACCEPTED and thought I'd have to redo it all, but then it just moved on.

So yea, in summary it feels like every time through it's something different. Is this just android? Maybe someone can help me better understand this phenomenon.

I've noticed this over the years. For security a reset doesn't wipe everything, I think you would need to flash the factory images and clear caches for that.

My first setup experience was not good. Wi-Fi kept turning off (been fine since) during the first setup so it kept stalling and doing all sorts of funny things.

It's just Android and Google, everything is a BETA version it seems.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For item 2 that is FRP. Factory Reset Protection. The account stays in there unless you remove it prior to reset. If you reset with the account still in there it will insist you use that account to set up the phone. That way if stolen the thief can't just reset it and use it.