Android-Generic Project - PC/GSI Build Automation Toolkit

Search This thread

cjeu100

Jan 26, 2020
Does HDR work on AMDGPU? I would like to use Android on x86 to run Moonlight, since it doesn’t work with HDR on Windows and only supported platforms are Android/AndroidTV and iOS.
Hi syzdl,
Kernel 5.3 added the HDR extensions for AMD GPU,
Bliss OS 11 has Kernel 4.19, Bliss OS 12 and 14 have kernel 5.8
If your app works only in Bliss OS 11 then you'll need to manually install Kernel 5.8 with gearlock on Bliss OS 11, Installing newer kernel is like installing newer drivers on Windows.
Good luck getting HDR to work on Bliss OS when even Linux distributions don't have proper HDR display support, only SDR.

miggsr

Feb 3, 2011
Hello every one. I landed here by chance with wondering if there was a substitute to running Chrome OS on a windows pc. I know that it doesn't work with most older pc's over 5-6yrs at least from my experience. I now have a newer computer but I am curious what is the best version or what os to try. I am hoping its something that can be rooted. I have seen Bliss OS, Carbon OS, AG Bliss, AG, Android x86, and pixel experience I am just not sure what to use. Can anyone point in the right direction?

cjeu100

Jan 26, 2020
Hello every one. I landed here by chance with wondering if there was a substitute to running Chrome OS on a windows pc. I know that it doesn't work with most older pc's over 5-6yrs at least from my experience. I now have a newer computer but I am curious what is the best version or what os to try. I am hoping its something that can be rooted. I have seen Bliss OS, Carbon OS, AG Bliss, AG, Android x86, and pixel experience I am just not sure what to use. Can anyone point in the right direction?
Hi,
Bliss OS 11.13 is the best for android apps. chrome os is bad project if you want to run android apps since they uses the same ARM native bridge as android x86 but with less features & more chrome browser. Only good thing about Chrome os is it's native bridge libs that are close source & build by intel & google devs other than that it's performance poor & os is a useless crap. a light weight linux desktop is far better than Chrome OS. Chrome os is not build to run android apps it's a chrome browser based os but they added android support later with the use of libhoudini like android x86 and Bliss OS so basically they both are same, android x86 and Bliss OS 11.13 is more optimized than chrome os for running android apps.
Bliss OS 11.13 is the stable version and supports most of the apps available on play store, even arm64 apps.
If you have newer hardware like 9th or 10th gen then use Bliss OS 12 or 14, they have newer Kernel to support latest hardware. But Bliss OS 12 support very few apps (no arm app support), Bliss OS 14 has different arm native bridge. If you want stability and more apps support, use Bliss OS 11.13
The problem with Bliss OS 11.13 is it use an ancient kernel 4.19 (9th and 10th gen hardware won't work properly), However you can easily install newer kernel 5.8.0 on Bliss OS 11.13 with the included gearlock recovery, which is like installing newer drivers on Windows.

wpalant

Feb 18, 2021
I’m also trying to install Bliss OS 14 in VirtualBox, so far unsuccessfully. I looked into why Grub installation fails, the reason is rather mundane: /sbin/grub has no execution permissions. Running chmod +x /sbin/grub takes care of that. However, running grub results in a segmentation fault then. Unfortunately, I’m stuck at that point.

grub.png

Edit: Using Super Grub2 Disk the system can be booted if installed without Grub (manual boot, menu.lst). It hangs on boot however. Debug mode produces some output which appears to be just repeating itself, will try to figure out what exactly goes wrong there.

Edit2: I suspect that this crash might be the issue, visible when running with DEBUG=1:
error1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleRipper

NullCode

Nov 29, 2017
Dhaka
Just a report:
Tried this on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 (Model 81X2)
Version: Lineage OS 17.1 (Android 10)

TLDR: Didn't work

BIOS Settings:
AMD SVM is on
UEFI Firmware modes: Legacy support and UEFI first
OS Optimized Settings set to off
USB Boot checked
Any other info can be obtained by asking me

What happened:
Used rufus to get ISO on a Transcend USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Persistence was set to 4GB)
Booted USB
Went to Live Mode
Then it took a while in Gearlock to extend system.img and data.img
After it went to 99% the extension failed and landed me in Gearlock's shell

This goes on again and again

Any help would be appreciated

cjeu100

Jan 26, 2020
Just a report:
Tried this on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 (Model 81X2)
Version: Lineage OS 17.1 (Android 10)

TLDR: Didn't work

BIOS Settings:
AMD SVM is on
UEFI Firmware modes: Legacy support and UEFI first
OS Optimized Settings set to off
USB Boot checked
Any other info can be obtained by asking me

What happened:
Used rufus to get ISO on a Transcend USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Persistence was set to 4GB)
Booted USB
Went to Live Mode
Then it took a while in Gearlock to extend system.img and data.img
After it went to 99% the extension failed and landed me in Gearlock's shell

This goes on again and again

Any help would be appreciated
Hi,
You are trying to live boot, and gearlock cannot supercharge the system.
Therefore I recommend you to install on your hard drive, not to mention that USB drives are very slow.
But still if you want to try live boot then add the flag NOSC=0 to your grub code by pressing e, after the line quiet.

NullCode

Nov 29, 2017
Dhaka
Hi,
You are trying to live boot, and gearlock cannot supercharge the system.
Therefore I recommend you to install on your hard drive, not to mention that USB drives are very slow.
But still if you want to try live boot then add the flag NOSC=0 to your grub code by pressing e, after the line quiet.

Thank you, I will try that
Also just curious, what does Gearlock do to "supercharge" the system and data images?

Magnetic Monopole

Feb 27, 2021
Does bliss os with android 11 have touch screen issues? I'm on surface book 2 and followed the documentation on blissOS rom but touchscreen doesn't work. It worked on the android 10 version of bliss os though.

NullCode

Nov 29, 2017
Dhaka
Does bliss os with android 11 have touch screen issues? I'm on surface book 2 and followed the documentation on blissOS rom but touchscreen doesn't work. It worked on the android 10 version of bliss os though.

Since the A11 one is considered "bleeding edge" yeah it probably has some issues. Maybe try logcattin' and reporting this

NullCode

Nov 29, 2017
Dhaka
Hi,
You didn't read the gearlock about section, did you?
Read help or about button of gearlock.

Check gearlock creators website supreme-gamers for more. https://supreme-gamers.com/r/gearlock-custom-recovery-replacement-for-android-x86.40/

Sorry, I didn't give a damn about android-x86 until yesterday
Also I deleted Lineage and went on CarbonROM because people here say it's better

New report:
(Everything except WiFi works on my i3 3rd Gen laptop)
(Doesn't work on my Ryzen 3 4000 series laptop) <- My daily 2-in-1

^ rules out any problems with the USB
--------------------------------------------------------------
When live booting, it goes to the gearlock console:/# screen and stays there forever (no system extended this time)

So as suggested, I put 'NOSC=0' after 'quiet', then pressed enter to boot
It was still stuck in gearlock console:/# screen

Then I tried some other modes (Vulkan mode) all to no avail
Anything I can do to fix this?

[email protected]

Dec 13, 2010
did you figured it out?

I havn't spent much time on this until the past few days. I took advise and tried installing 11.13. I did manage to get audio working on kernel 4.19.122, it detects sound as cx2072x and sound works great, however the entire system is very very laggy to the point it is unusable. I tried gearlock and installed a kernel 5.8.0 and the UI is super fast but the kernel does not detect the sound chip, also in 5.8.0 i let a youtube video play and the system will typically freeze after 5 or 10 mins. I also went to the gearlock forums and tried several other public kernels from there and none of them would detect sound chip. It appears noone is compiling their kernels with support for intel sst codec cx2072x and i suppose if i really want it to work i will have to figure out how to fork the kernel sourcecode myself and ensure the proper driver is enabled and up to date then figure out how to compile the kernel for my first time and create a gearlock extension package out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: klemen241

cjeu100

Jan 26, 2020
Sorry, I didn't give a damn about android-x86 until yesterday
Also I deleted Lineage and went on CarbonROM because people here say it's better

Then I tried some other modes (Vulkan mode) all to no avail
Anything I can do to fix this?
Even through latest android version is better for phones, it's not the same for PC.
Bliss OS 11.13 with android is more stable and proper video playback, arm apps support.
Ryzen CPU need newer kernel, Bliss OS 11.13 has old kernel 4.19 which was released in 2018.
But you can install the latest kernel 5.10.9 from gearlock creators website.

cjeu100

Jan 26, 2020
I havn't spent much time on this until the past few days. I took advise and tried installing 11.13. I did manage to get audio working on kernel 4.19.122, it detects sound as cx2072x and sound works great, however the entire system is very very laggy to the point it is unusable. I tried gearlock and installed a kernel 5.8.0 and the UI is super fast but the kernel does not detect the sound chip, also in 5.8.0 i let a youtube video play and the system will typically freeze after 5 or 10 mins. I also went to the gearlock forums and tried several other public kernels from there and none of them would detect sound chip. It appears noone is compiling their kernels with support for intel sst codec cx2072x and i suppose if i really want it to work i will have to figure out how to fork the kernel sourcecode myself and ensure the proper driver is enabled and up to date then figure out how to compile the kernel for my first time and create a gearlock extension package out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest you to join gearlock creators discord server, their forums are more inactive.

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010

i have no idea about programing, so i cant help much. All i can do is test for you. Keep me posted. Maybe we should make new thread for this tablet?

cjeu100

Jan 26, 2020
How would I know what's the best kernel to use with my pc?
Kernel 5.10.9 is good for both old and new PC, I have tested it on multiple PC, and it works, support more hardware than the kernel 4.19 used in Bliss OS. Usually newer kernel is the best. Upgrading your kernel can be compared to updating drivers in Windows.

Reactions: miggsr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How would I know what's the best kernel to use with my pc?
    Kernel 5.10.9 is good for both old and new PC, I have tested it on multiple PC, and it works, support more hardware than the kernel 4.19 used in Bliss OS. Usually newer kernel is the best. Upgrading your kernel can be compared to updating drivers in Windows.
    BhvNtbW.png

Android-Generic Project - Android for PCs & GSI devices

What is Android-Generic Project?:

Android-Generic is a collection of scripts, manifests & patches that allow for rapid prototyping of Android projects based off AOSP to produce generic images for Android GSI or Linux PC hardware.

For a more in-depth description of the goals and progressions leading up to this project, please read
    this blog post

Vision:

To fill you all in on the grand scheme of things with Android-Generic, the plan come in stages.

* Stage 1 is laying the groundwork for all ROMs to build both PC and GSI builds by supplying them with a standard set of minimal patches. Thanks to Android-x86 & PHH-Treble, thats done. now we collect them and make them easy to apply for everyome. DONE

* Stage 2 is collecting variations of the conflicts those standard patches could potentially have and simplifying the process as we go. This is where all the Android ROMs come in ;) STARTED

* Stage 3 is to use the variations of conflict resolutions from each ROM folder to further automate the process and have vendor patches be automatically figured out by trying each resolution until one sticks. STARTED

* Stage 4 is to continue to automate elements of the process until things are almost too easy STARTED

-----------

Development Chats:

Telegram:

GSI/Treble

PC/x86/x86_64

Resources:

Android-Generic Logos

Basic Project Info

This is a development project for ROM developers that want to add PC or GSI support to their builds.

Prerequisites:

You will need to have synced a ROM and know how to build Android prior to adding this to your build envirnment.

ROMs that have PC builds (so far):

- BlissROM
    - AOSP
    - Tesla
    - WIP - Tipsy
    - WIP - Lineage OS
    - WIP - Validus
    - CarbonROM
    - WIP - PixelExperience

ROMs that have GSI builds (so far):

- BlissROM
    - AOSP

Please make sure you're well versed in building AOSP: AOSP building instructions before proceeding.

What you need to get started

Follow the link below, and checkout the full project documentation. I'll try to update the readme as often as possible to allow you all to keep up with changes as things are going to ramp up exponentially.

android-generic

Credits

We'd like to say thanks to all these great individuals first:
    @phhusson @cwhuang @maurossi @goffioul @me176c-dev @bosconovic @farmerbb @aclegg2011 @eternityson @utzcoz and many others

And these great teams second:
    @Google @LineageOS @GZR @OmniROM @SlimROM @ParanoidAndroid and many others, for you still lead the way for Open Innovation in the Android community.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android-Generic Project, Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
    electrikjesus, jackeagle

Version Information

Created 2020-07-11
    Last Updated 2020-08-16
    AG-11 Generic Builds - 2020-12-19
    !! Please remember to not quote these update posts, or any of the OP's !!

OK, it's been a little while since we've posted any updates in here. So I'd like to first announce that our PC's now have Android 11 (before most phones even get it). With this first round, we have a minimal Bliss OS, using kernel 5.8, mesa 20.1.0, etc.

But wait, that's not all, as we've also put together a solution for extracting libndk_translation, gapps, etc. from Google's emulator images, and we've worked out most of the kinks in getting not just gapps, but also ARM & ARM64 apps working in our PC builds with it. Source is WIP, but you can find it here:
    https://gitlab.com/android-generic/android_vendor_google_emu-x86

Also, since Android 11 made our past method of hiding the navbar obsolete (overscan method), we have to use the old qemu.hw.mainkeys as a backup plan, so there is a script (toggle_nav.sh) that can be used to disable/enable the soft navbar and use Taskbar if you prefer. Just remember that you will need to remount / as RW (mount -o remount,rw /dev/loop(0) /) Use cat proc/mounts to see where / is mounted for your install.

But wait, there's more...
    New member of Bliss, and creator of Gearlock, @AXIM0S just happens to have a few tricks up his sleeve still for A11, and his first one comes in the form of Rusty-Magisk ( https://github.com/AXIM0S/rusty-magisk/releases/tag/v0.1.3 ), allowing us to have a built in compatibility layer with Magisk. Currently, most magisk modules aren't working, but development is ongoing.

Gearlock is also working with most A11 builds too, but there are some issues, so instead of installing it for you by default, you all can make that decision on your own. Some of our builds will have a _g in the filename, representing that it contains a Gearlock installer binary in system/etc/. Just follow the instructions from gearlocks main thread to figure out how to install it. Be careful though, as it is easy to mess things up when using low-level tools like Gearlock. Use common sense please.

We will be updating the website with links soon, so please keep posted.
    https://android-generic.github.io

With all this being said, if you or anyone you know is interested in working along side me and the rest of the team, please reach out and let us know. Thanks!!

Build Info

All Builds Include:
    • Updated to Kernel-5.8
    • Script for disabling navbar
    • Taskbar (Desktop Mode Launcher)
    • Launcher3 (normal tablet mode launcher)
    • Lots more, check the changelog

Gearlock info:
    ( https://supreme-gamers.com/r/gearlock-custom-recovery-replacement-for-android-x86.40 )

NOGFX=0 - Do not override kernel CLI options (needed if you plan on using Vulkan mode)
    NORECOVERY=0 - Do not enter recovery or show countdown for it (should not combine any other Gearlock options with this)
    NOSC=0 - Do not supercharge the system partition/image on boot
    ALWAYSRECOVERY=0 - Always boot into recovery first.

!!WARNING!! The builds that use Kernel-5.2+ are no longer compatible with the AUTO_LOAD=old kernel command line option. If you are using this option to boot, then you will not be able to. It will bootloop.

PLEASE NOTE I recommend everyone testing to also use this in Vulkan mode or boot using gbm_gralloc, as I am considering making it the default. Vulkan mode can be done from the Advanced grub menu if you installed using the bootable installer, or if you used a different grub, you will want to add "VULKAN=1" to the grub entry before the word "quiet". If your device doesn't support Vulkan, you can add "GRALLOC=gbm" to the same place in your grub entry. Sleep states should work fine after that.
    Other bootloop issues can also be solved by booting with GRALLOC=gbm command -line option.

Recommend Installers (easy mode):
    These builds will work with Axon's installer:
    As well as ours:

Other installation methods (Virtualbox, EFI stub, etc.):
    Please review the Install section of the Bliss wiki: https://wiki.blissroms.org/index.php?title=Bliss_OS

Builds that have been uploaded:
    • AG-11-Bliss_OS-14-x86_64-202012190914_kernel-5.8-si-next-fs_r_egapps_libndk_wv_m.iso

Known new issues:
    • Sleep states aren't working right on a few machines. Some can cause SystemUI to restart.
    • Some machines still have volume/sound issues, use 3rd party EQ or volume control.
    • Bluetooth on some devices
    • Rotation not working on some devices
    • Most magisk modules
    • Some ARM/ARM64 apps still do not work. Gimme logs
    • No Alt-f1/f7 console this round. If you need to mount as RW, or need access to root console, please boot in debug mode or add DEBUG=(0/1/2) for logging level.
    • Some soundcards still start up quiet AF, please use an EQ app like Volume Booster by Goodev or follow the alsa instructions from Android-x86 docs/groups.
    • Widevine is not working yet, enjoy most other video formats for the moment
    • Firefox browser force quits on some machines. Will be updating asap

Download:

Website has been updated with download link added to the "Other AG Flavors" section of the site:
    https://android-generic.github.io

Changelogs:

Code:
    Way too many changes to list here. Please see the changelogs for each build, or check the history in the Android-Generic repo to see what we're working on. https://gitlab.com/android-generic/vendor_android-generic/-/commits/r11

Thanks, and #stayblissful ;)

Head on over to http://blissroms.com for info on Bliss or http://blissos.org for more info on Bliss OS. And while you're there, feel free to checkout more of what we're doing as a nonprofit. We're also always looking for developers, maintainers, designers and social media peeps to volunteer their time. If that's you, you can find the Join Team Bliss link on our nonprofit page.
    Downloads

These are experimental builds and since I want to focus on helping developers through this project, we will not be supporting any of these builds. They are strictly for testing purposes only.

AG Website: https://android-generic.github.io

Downloads so far:
    PC
    • Bliss
    • AOSP
    • Tesla OS
    • CarbonROM
    • PixelExperience
    • Dirty Unicorns
    • Resurrection Remix
    • LineageOS
    • Bootleggers

GSI:
    • None
    I've also been having this same issue on VMware Workstation, using a 64GB drive. The issue seems to come from GRUB somehow. The OS seems installs fine without GRUB, but obviously, this is a problem, as GRUB is necessary for it to boot. Choosing to install GRUB is what causes this issue.

EDIT: I wanted to point out that the issue seems to be independent of hardware. It occurs both with SATA and IDE drives, and the GRUB part makes me think it's probably not a VM configuration error, but rather some kind of error with calculating space requirements in the installer.

I will put looking into the installer on my list of things to do soon
    Is there any news on this?
    Sorry, nothing yet. I had to leave out of state for work and haven't gotten back home yet. It's been about a month on the road so far...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone