Android/Google admits to the eMMC bug

Search This thread

Wizard Knight

Apr 24, 2010
Long Island, New York
Its a non issue in my opinion. If you flash leaks, you know the chances. I flash the leaks and know o could end up with an epic doorstop. Long as its fixed when the official ota comes, it's cool

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

scarmon25

Feb 18, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Nice article. Very informative. I personally never flash anything while on ICS. But based on that article that might not even be enough. It also gives us an idea that until Samsung/Google has fixed the issue we won'tbe sseeing an OTA updates. At least I would hope they wouldn't OTA an update that is going to brick a **** ton if devices.

I was victim of the superbrick towards the beginning. Whatever it did it really messed that thing up. If JTag can't repair it then it's hosed. Thanks for sharing.

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
It's faulty firmware from Samsung. Like was said above, until it's fixed, we likely won't see an OTA, and should never flash anything from ICS recovery.

Unlike Wizard Knight, I do see it as an issue, because it's faulty code from Samsung. People are not going to pay attention, or not read the full OP in an ICS thread and brick their phone. The fault here lies on both the person that flashed and on Sammy for their crappy code.

On the other hand, the kernel that Sbrissen is building from international GSII source is confirmed to have this code issue fixed, so we may not have to wait on Sammy to drop source to be able to use recovery again.

Reactions: latinmaxima

HaiKaiDo

Mar 12, 2010
It's faulty firmware from Samsung. Like was said above, until it's fixed, we likely won't see an OTA, and should never flash anything from ICS recovery.

Unlike Wizard Knight, I do see it as an issue, because it's faulty code from Samsung. People are not going to pay attention, or not read the full OP in an ICS thread and brick their phone. The fault here lies on both the person that flashed and on Sammy for their crappy code.

On the other hand, the kernel that Sbrissen is building from international GSII source is confirmed to have this code issue fixed, so we may not have to wait on Sammy to drop source to be able to use recovery again.

Yep Sbrissen and entropy got this fixed. Ive used his 3.0 Kernel and flashed about a billion times to test it lol. Its awesome and brick proof :] I just hope people wait for sbrissens 3.0 to be finished before they starting "borrowing" from it and calling it their own -_-.

HaiKaiDo

Mar 12, 2010
Your post is a little misleading at best. This just a rehash of the conversation in two threads, including one in this forum:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1644364

Let's avoid hype on this, OK?

Avoid hype? This is very interesting. Ive been very very curious as to what was at the root of this since I was around for the first night of ICS leaks and a brick. Hype or not, its wonderful to see that information is being passed around and this is being worked on. Feels like a wonderful thing for the E4GT users.

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Avoid hype? This is very interesting. Ive been very very curious as to what was at the root of this since I was around for the first night of ICS leaks and a brick. Hype or not, its wonderful to see that information is being passed around and this is being worked on. Feels like a wonderful thing for the E4GT users.

My concern is that the information given to us is a big deal... It can easily be thought that someone either was negligent or worse by not addressing this sooner. I would rather see this through and hope the fix comes out soon... And hopefully without a blame game; otherwise people like Mr. Sumrall might not be willing to respond to future inquiries.

Hope that clears up why I mentioned hype.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

HaiKaiDo

Mar 12, 2010
My concern is that the information given to us is a big deal... It can easily be thought that someone either was negligent or worse by not addressing this sooner. I would rather see this through and hope the fix comes out soon... And hopefully without a blame game; otherwise people like Mr. Sumrall might not be willing to respond to future inquiries.

Hope that clears up why I mentioned hype.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Ahh yeah I got ya. I agree, I would much much rather see a fix and the knowledge that comes with it than seeing people get upset. I for one am happy to see things progressing and have no wish to blame anyone for anything. Even though it was a serious issue, we all take the risk of flashing things that are unknown upon ourselves.

LudoGris

Feb 11, 2009
New Hampshire
The fault here lies on both the person that flashed and on Sammy for their crappy code.

You're kidding me, right? Fault of Samsung? We are flashing ROMs that are for internal purposes only. They could introduce an unknown android virus or brick code just to test the response time of their workers, and if we flash it then it is soley our fault. I won't fault Samsung or any other company for our crazy obsessions or need to be on the cutting edge, download their internal projects, and put them on our fully functional devices before they have said to do so.

Now if they release it as official and it bricks the device it is exactly the opposite and 100% their fault, not the flasher.

scarmon25

Feb 18, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Yeah. Anything other then official released software is on our heads. If I flash a leak and I brick my phone, which I did, then its my fault. I flashed Sbrissens CM9 back when he first released it. He sent me a test build. I flashed it. I bricked it. It was completely my fault. Wasn't Samsung or Sbrissens. Now if Samsung had officially released that file to the public and said oh yeah this is 100% safe to flash. Then maybe it would have been on them.

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
You're kidding me, right? Fault of Samsung? We are flashing ROMs that are for internal purposes only. They could introduce an unknown android virus or brick code just to test the response time of their workers, and if we flash it then it is soley our fault. I won't fault Samsung or any other company for our crazy obsessions or need to be on the cutting edge, download their internal projects, and put them on our fully functional devices before they have said to do so.

Now if they release it as official and it bricks the device it is exactly the opposite and 100% their fault, not the flasher.

If a person flashes a pre-release rom and bricks their phone, yes, it is their fault. However, for Samsung to be as far along as they are in development, and to still have a bug that physically destroys eMMC chips...yes, that is their fault.

The thing is, the coders at Samsung do this for a living, and a bug that's this bad should have been among the first things to be fixed. Considering that it's still present in builds, when the final should be out within the next couple months, is awful.

So yeah, again, it's the fault of the person flashing the rom if they brick their device, but to say that Sammy has no fault at all is ludicrous, because this bug is ridiculous and should have been killed through internal testing a long time ago.

If a person flashes a pre-release rom and bricks their phone, yes, it is their fault. However, for Samsung to be as far along as they are in development, and to still have a bug that physically destroys eMMC chips...yes, that is their fault.

The thing is, the coders at Samsung do this for a living, and a bug that's this bad should have been among the first things to be fixed. Considering that it's still present in builds, when the final should be out within the next couple months, is awful.

So yeah, again, it's the fault of the person flashing the rom if they brick their device, but to say that Sammy has no fault at all is ludicrous, because this bug is ridiculous and should have been killed through internal testing a long time ago.

How are any of these leaks anything but internal testing? It is absurd to think that these bricks are of any fault to Samsung, they obviously aren't releasing these to us and then saying "Hey, flash this."

Granted, not all of us on here are adults, but for a second, let's be mature and take some ownership for our actions.

azyouthinkeyeiz

Jan 3, 2010
The part about it being Samsung's fault, is in regard to the Note. Not our device. They did release software that had the bug, and bricked devices.

But, that's so overblown. Replacing the device is more than enough, in my eyes, for taking responsibility. They are just required to provide a working device.

Any expectation above that, just shows impatience and naivete of the software development cycle.

Reactions: garwynn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The fault here lies on both the person that flashed and on Sammy for their crappy code.

It's an article that I came across.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/hard-brick-bug-on-galaxy-s-ii-and-note-leaked-ics-kernels/

If this article has been posted, sorry, Mods could delete this.

The part about it being Samsung's fault, is in regard to the Note. Not our device. They did release software that had the bug, and bricked devices.

But, that's so overblown. Replacing the device is more than enough, in my eyes, for taking responsibility. They are just required to provide a working device.

Any expectation above that, just shows impatience and naivete of the software development cycle.