• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android head unit [Cycle through apps] feature.

Search This thread

cleverdicky

Sep 11, 2011
As in the title. Is this possible to do on Android head unit.
As we know we have various different physical button options and ways to link steering buttons to different apps. But as far as I know there isnt a way to shuffle running apps to bring them to the front or in focus with just 1 simple button (steering).

As we know using our phones we can press the left list button on our phones and scroll through recent apps and select the one we want to use to bring it back into focus. Well I generally have less than half a dozen main apps I might use any one time in the car and its a bit of a faff doing this with the screen. Id rather do it with just any easy dedicated button. And possibly assign the apps I want to switch between such as navi, radio, music, phone etc.

So can this be done ?

Archie_Slap

May 25, 2018
I highly recommend the Hal9k rom as well. It does exactly what you want.

If you don't want to flash a new rom though I did this originally by using an app called MTCD Tools. I don't have a link but it's mentioned a lot in here.

I ended up using a combination of that and Tasker to get apps like Spotify or Pocketcasts to start playback automatically at different volume levels when cycled to.

But again, much less effort with Hal9k

cleverdicky

Sep 11, 2011
Thanks guys, i thought perhaps mtcdtools might do it. But it is a bit scary as i dont understand most of it.
Good to no its possible tho. The more I think about it the more I like the idea.
Ive only just installed malaysk's rom which is very good + all my other apps so dont really want to wipe n flash again just yet. Did you also use Malaysk rom or go straight to Hal9k. I thought they were much the same.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes
    Settings -> mod settings-> apps that cycle throw mode button.
    If i remember right the last setting