Android L for Nexus 7 2012 ?

Search This thread

flopower1996

Sep 8, 2012
We will have it for sure. But official is kind of unknown atm because only preview images for the nexus 5 and nexus 7 (I guess the 2013 model)will be avalible tomorrow. I guess wait and see what the devs can do ;) overall we are still rocking a nexus device. Right? :D

ZenInsight

Jun 29, 2010
Kansas City
I should have been more clear. I would not assume, nor do I think we will get it officially. BUT....I am not even sure if we will have it unofficially as the ROM has to function with Tegra 3 APIs due to the new graphics abilities. yes/no?

flopower1996

Sep 8, 2012
who knows.
the code has not been released yet, so nobody can tell at the moment.

you can say it for let's say 70% that it will come UNOFFICIAL because most custom roms have a backward compatible framework. So that e.g. drivers that are not supported by a newer android version can still be used in that version or a CPU feature is missing e.g. neon in the 2X. Google stopped the support for non neon devices I think in android 4.2.2 and guess what, the 2X is rocking Android 4.4.4 ;)

Reactions: ZenInsight

stanley321

Nov 29, 2009
I think we'll have it, the dev on Google IO session talking about Material Design said they "tested the 60fps performance on the original Nexus 7"

This at least proved they have a L build for us, the matter is will they release it to us.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

futty

Nov 23, 2008
If not official I hope devs can come through. I remember honeycomb was being ported to phones so yeah devs here on theses forums are amazing

ZenInsight

Jun 29, 2010
Kansas City
Don't worry, we'll get it. I asked the Android team during the Android Fireside Chat how L will run on low end devices and they said they began testing and development on the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 (2012). So L was actually designed for our tablet and will obviously have an official build! :highfive:

Great info!

DennisJKA

Jun 21, 2012
Think that Nexus 7 (2012) not have ART compilation and Android L is only ART. Not official Android L for N7.
It has been proven by several custom ROMs that ART runs on the 2012 Nexus 7. So it's just a matter of Google officially enable ART on the 2012 Nexus 7.
But I actually don't think that we'll get the official L Update. Google wants us to upgrade to the newer N7 or even the rumored Nexus 8.

lucasarran

Jan 29, 2011
Don't worry, we'll get it. I asked the Android team during the Android Fireside Chat how L will run on low end devices and they said they began testing and development on the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 (2012). So L was actually designed for our tablet and will obviously have an official build! :highfive:

This doesn't really mean anything. Google may work with older devices during development to ensure performance and quality of Material on older hardware, but doesn't necessarily mean they will create an official build for consumers.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone