Android/LineageOS Disk Encryption = SCAM/FRAUD?!

Search This thread

Ardoras

Jun 1, 2012
Hi Everyone!

I have a rather unusual experience to share, along with what I think is the logical conclusion.

So, I'm running LineageOS 18.1 on an LG V20, and I went through the disk encryption process on install. For months, every time I would boot my phone I would have to enter my password before Android would load. Under settings, Android confirms (to this day) that the system is encrypted.

About a week ago, I went into a hot spring and forgot to take my phone out of my pocket. I sat in the water, phone on, for about a half hour before realizing I had it on me. I took the battery out and dried it in the sun over a few days.

Now the phone boots up now and SIM card 1 is fried.... aaaand the system no longer asks for a password on boot, yet boots anyway! I have access to all my documents, pictures, etc that should all be encrypted/inaccessible.

Now, what does this mean exactly? There is no path to decrypting your device besides wiping it, and considering it takes an hour+ to encrypt, this should not be an instant/unnoticeable decryption even if it were possible to decrypt.

My belief at this point is that there is a chip sitting in front of the storage that pretends to encrypt it, and that this chip on my device is now fried.

At this point am deeply distrustful of this tech and think this needs many eyes on it until its figured out as it has massive security implications.

Last edited:

Ardoras

Jun 1, 2012
This is very bad
Are all Lineage based OS'es can easily be trick by this?
I don't know how to proceed to testing/proving this further for anyone. I could show a video booting and demonstrating that Lineage says it is encrypted and that no password is asked for on boot... but any other ideas would be helpful also.