Android NAND Rom Guide on RHOD phones for Noobs 12-15-12

Search This thread

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
Thanks for the help. I suspected that the process would be similar without the wiping, but wanted confirmation. I have read pretty much the whole thread on the ROM and did a bunch of searching but didn't have full clarity on what to do. Is it just the entire process in the first post, except skipping step 14? Does anything else need to be skipped? I don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance.

The build and kernel is from your thread. The kernel version number I posted is exactly what it says in Android's About phone under kernel version.

It is always best to post questions about a specific rom in that rom's thread.

Boot into recovery, install kernel upgrade zip. Profit.

Of course you won't get any new changes baked into the rom files...
If you want the newest rom, wipe and start over from scratch.

I didn't recognize that name because my install files don't use that naming scheme, and it is a version I have not run in a long time.

isruco

Jul 31, 2009
Palm Springs
First of all - Thank you very very much for the guide Wizardknight, and also to all the hard working members that make all the magic possible to mod our devices.

I am replying to make a suggestion regarding my experience. It took me about 2 to 3 hours to read and learn about GBX on TP2, and install it successfully. As a disclosure I have been flashing my winmo phones for the last 5 or so years, so not a noobi with winmo ROMs.

The biggest snag I ran into was after successfully completing step 16 and starting 17. I dint understand why I wasnt seeing an option to install the ROM from sd card as instructed in step 17. I repeated the whole process and ended up the same, where all I saw was on my phone was the "blue miniPooploader. "

The step not mentioned on the guide and I found out from member walter79 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1566955
was that

After successfully completing step #16, then power off and then power back on your phone. as soon as the "blue miniPooploader" screen begins press and keep held down the power button until you feel the phone vibrate, as explained towards the end of the guide here

Again many thanks to Wizardknight for putting together this guide and all the links to the tools needed. And equally grateful to Walter 79, as well as the netire community.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
What did you mean at 0% that the phone its not unlocked?, you mean like the Network unlock?

No, HSPL or bootloader unlock.

If you can flash custom WinMo ROM's, you should be fine. If you've never flashed a custom WinMo ROM, then you need to do the HSPL process. Make sure you follow the one for your device.

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
What did you mean at 0% that the phone its not unlocked?, you mean like the Network unlock?

No, HSPL or bootloader unlock.

If you can flash custom WinMo ROM's, you should be fine. If you've never flashed a custom WinMo ROM, then you need to do the HSPL process. Make sure you follow the one for your device.

This.↑

Note how that section is labeled "troubleshooting tip".
If you are not having trouble, then you don't need to do troubleshooting.:victory:

Emmaugoh

Account currently disabled
Jul 25, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
edit: nevermind fiddled with it, dont know what i did but it worked

,Bros u did not tell us how u made it to work,because i have this RHOD*** 32m that has refused booting into fastboot mode(tricolour screen) but my Rhod 4oo and other Rhod i have met worked out very fine with this Tutorial,Pls if i can know what u did i would know how to mould Android GB to this OLD WINMO.

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
,Bros u did not tell us how u made it to work,because i have this RHOD*** 32m that has refused booting into fastboot mode(tricolour screen) but my Rhod 4oo and other Rhod i have met worked out very fine with this Tutorial,Pls if i can know what u did i would know how to mould Android GB to this OLD WINMO.

Fastboot ≠ Tricolor screen.

mariankeyes

Aug 31, 2011
Istanbul
Battery

Hey,
I really really appreciate what you have done so far. You made a great job. Because i know that it takes lots of time and effort. And first time, i have another operating system then Winmo on my Rhodium.

I just performed the guide step by step easily and now i have NAND. But i have some troubles about it.

1) The Battery. I mean my battery life is like 5 hours even 3G(another problem :)) is not open. It also charges from computer like 15 mins :) Also i tried to look "What is using the battery?". And "Cell Standby" and "Phone idle" use most of them. So i think, low brightness wont for me.Why is it, did i do something wrong or how can i fix it?
2) 3G. It doesnt work for me. But the Wi-Fi works. I opened roaming from settings but when i check it in settings-about phone-status-roaming, it says not roaming. How can i fix it ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards from Turkey :)

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Hey,
I really really appreciate what you have done so far. You made a great job. Because i know that it takes lots of time and effort. And first time, i have another operating system then Winmo on my Rhodium.

I just performed the guide step by step easily and now i have NAND. But i have some troubles about it.

1) The Battery. I mean my battery life is like 5 hours even 3G(another problem :)) is not open. It also charges from computer like 15 mins :) Also i tried to look "What is using the battery?". And "Cell Standby" and "Phone idle" use most of them. So i think, low brightness wont for me.Why is it, did i do something wrong or how can i fix it?
2) 3G. It doesnt work for me. But the Wi-Fi works. I opened roaming from settings but when i check it in settings-about phone-status-roaming, it says not roaming. How can i fix it ?

Thanks in advance

1. Battery is bad in Android. It doesn't charge the battery to 100% properly, so it seems to charge very quickly. This also makes for a quick drain.

2. You're obviously GSM. Please state this, and which RHOD you are using. Assuming these things, make sure the APN is configured correctly. I don't have GSM, but I know the APN needs to be correct in order for data to connect.

Good luck.

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
Hey,

Thanks in advance

1. Battery is bad in Android. It doesn't charge the battery to 100% properly, so it seems to charge very quickly. This also makes for a quick drain.

2. You're obviously GSM. Please state this, and which RHOD you are using. Assuming these things, make sure the APN is configured correctly. I don't have GSM, but I know the APN needs to be correct in order for data to connect.

Good luck.

Probably this. As noted in the guide, the guide was developed using a RHOD400. I only have access to the RHOD400. I do not see these issue with the RHOD400.

Also please post rom specific questions in that rom's thread. We don't know what your hardware is or what rom you are loading.

Thank you.

mariankeyes

Aug 31, 2011
Istanbul

Good luck.

Thank you for interest firstly :) ,

1) So you use like that too ? there is nothing to do.

2) its RHOD100. when i go "settings- wireless and network settings- mobile networks- APNs", its just black screen right now :/

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
Thank you for interest firstly :) ,

1) So you use like that too ? there is nothing to do.

Depends on the rom and the phone. As I noted before post specific rom questions in that rom's thread.
We don't know what rom you are using, and this is not the place for those kind of questions.

2) its RHOD100. when i go "settings- wireless and network settings- mobile networks- APNs", its just black screen right now :/
So add the APN and it will not be ...:confused:

mariankeyes

Aug 31, 2011
Istanbul
Depends on the rom and the phone. As I noted before post specific rom questions in that rom's thread.
We don't know what rom you are using, and this is not the place for those kind of questions.

So add the APN and it will not be ...:confused:

1) i read as new battery will work for it. also i saw a few links to buy it. so i will try :)

2) adding APN is worked. Solved :)

Thank you

CosmicBlue2000

Jun 18, 2010
Wedel, near Hamburg
Hi, I want to try another nand, but when I get to point 9, it will start booting the last nand, so I don't get the needed response on point 13.

Your guide worked for me the first time, but now... I don't know what I am doing wrong. I followed your guide by every single word.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Hi, I want to try another nand, but when I get to point 9, it will start booting the last nand, so I don't get the needed response on point 13.

Your guide worked for me the first time, but now... I don't know what I am doing wrong. I followed your guide by every single word.

I'm confused. If you've already got LK on the device, then why even come back to this guide?

If you want to flash another ROM, go to CWM and flash the new ROM. Make sure to do a factory reset before booting.

In other words, skip to step 17.

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA

I'm confused. If you've already got LK on the device, then why even come back to this guide?

If you want to flash another ROM, go to CWM and flash the new ROM. Make sure to do a factory reset before booting.

This↑.

The guide was written to help you install your first android rom. If you want to do the whole thing all over again, then you need to go install WM stock and start over. Otherwise just boot into recovery, wipe, and flash.

CosmicBlue2000

Jun 18, 2010
Wedel, near Hamburg

This↑.

The guide was written to help you install your first android rom. If you want to do the whole thing all over again, then you need to go install WM stock and start over. Otherwise just boot into recovery, wipe, and flash.
Okay, now I am confused.
I thought it was by pressing volume down while powering up?
So I don't need an usb connection to pc?
What is LK?
How do I do a factory reset?
How do I access CWM?
How do I access recovery?

I needed this noob guide, so I have my outcoming now: I am a noob!

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Okay, now I am confused.

Ehm, let's break this down...

I thought it was by pressing volume down while powering up?

I think you hold POWER when booting to get into CWM.

So I don't need an usb connection to pc?

Not to flash an Android ROM, after you've gotten LK installed (which you do, it's the blue miniPoopLoader screen). You just need the ROM you want to flash on the SD card, boot to CWM, and flash said ROM.

It stands for LittleKernel, it's the bootloader which replaces the WinMo bootloader so we can install Android natively.

How do I do a factory reset?

From CWM.

How do I access CWM?
How do I access recovery?

To be clear, CWM is recovery. ClockWorkMod == a custom recovery for Android devices.

There's a few ways. The easiest is using an app like QuickBoot. adb works too:
Code:
adb reboot recovery

Last would be to hold POWER when booting - although this can be tricky, as you have to start holding POWER at the right time - too early or too late, and the device will boot normally.

CosmicBlue2000

Jun 18, 2010
Wedel, near Hamburg
I think you hold POWER when booting to get into CWM.
Ooookey, loding volume down brings me to the tri-color screen, but that doesn't help, right?

It stands for LittleKernel, it's the bootloader which replaces the WinMo bootloader so we can install Android natively.
Thanks for explaination.

Not to flash an Android ROM, after you've gotten LK installed (which you do, it's the blue miniPoopLoader screen). You just need the ROM you want to flash on the SD card, boot to CWM, and flash said ROM.
Check, I have done that.

To be clear, CWM is recovery. ClockWorkMod == a custom recovery for Android devices.

From CWM.
So I have only to get into CWM...

Last would be to hold POWER when booting - although this can be tricky, as you have to start holding POWER at the right time - too early or too late, and the device will boot normally.
recognized that...awful.

There's a few ways. The easiest is using an app like QuickBoot. adb works too:
Code:
adb reboot recovery
No way, can't get an usb connection working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to give credit to everyone who has worked on the android roms, and other guides. I have taken some of the info for this guide from the WIKI

It seemed we were due for a friendly how to guide on how to load a NAND rom on a RHOD device. I decided to write a step by step guide to help people out. This guide does provide a very basic ADB setup, but it is just enough to get you up and running. If you want to do advanced things you should get the full ADB, and learn more about it.

This guide is written for a RHOD400, Android GBX0*+3.4.26 rom, and a Win7 pc, but should be almost identical for the rest of the RHOD family, other versions of Windows, and most other roms.

It is assumed that you have unlocked your phone for custom rom loading in the past at some point. This is not the same as unlocking the sim card. This is 100% required. Please read here and/or here, and/or here if you need help with unlocking your phone.

This guide assumes that you know what a command prompt is, how to load windows drivers for a device, and can open zip files. If these things are not within your skill sets I would recommend that you find someone who understands these things to assist you.

Things you need.
    1. A RHOD phone. :D

2. A micro SD card that is at least 512mb in size.

Tip: I suggest a sd card that is less than 4gb in size. There tends to be less compatibility issues with non SDHC cards. SDHC cards usually work, but if you have trouble this is a good thing to change. The SD card does have to be less than 64gb in size as the phone can not read cards larger than 32gb.

3. A usb based micro sd card reader. A usb based card reader is need to be compatible with the HP format tool. Some built in ones are usb based others are not. If you have one, you can try it and see if it works. It is not recommended to use your phone's sd card reader for prep work.

4. A usb cable that is known to work. Test it in WM first. On rare occasion I have seen cables that did work with WM and not Android. If you have issues, this is also something good to swap out during trouble shooting.

5. A windows based pc. *DO NOT USE USB 3.0 PORTS* Many reports about have come in about them causing issues.

The procedure.
    1. Back up anything you want to keep from your phone. Everything on the phone will be wiped during this process.

2. Put the micro sd card into your USB card reader and format with the HP format tool. It needs to be a full fat32 format. Windows format is known to have issues on occasion, and this step is a work around for that problem. It is not 100% required, but if you have trouble it is 100% required during trouble shooting.

3. While this is formatting you can download the recovery (recovery_cwr_6.0.1.3.img) ***It has been found that the 6.0.1.3 recovery does not make backups correctly, resulting in md5 errors. You may use it if you are not planning on using the backup feature, or the older one by acl works fine. You can rename it to use the included scripts if you wish.***, rom (GBX0*+3.4.26 Full) , the boot loader, the needed usb android drivers, and the adb files.Gapps is optional.

4. Make sure your battery is at least 50% charged. I recommend a 100% charge. A dead battery in the middle of flashing can brick your phone.

5. Copy the RHODIMG.NBH, rom (GBX0*+3.4.26 Full), and the gapps (optional) files to the sd card and put it in your phone with the phone turned off.

6. Press the hold down the volume down button while pressing the power button. This will bring up the tri colored screen. It will then automatically go to the white rom update screen.

7. Follow the directions (press the power button on the RHOD400) to start the update. This should take less than 1min.

Troubleshooting tip:
    If the phone sits at loading 0%, and never moves after 10 min you may not have unlocked your phone or there is an issue with your RHODIMG file. Verify that you have unlocked your phone (you can try loading a WM custom rom), format the SD card, re-download the RHODIMG file, and try again. Also try another SD card and SD card reader.

8. If the phone reboots automatically, that is fine. Otherwise when the phone says Update Success you can pull the battery to shut it off.

9. Turn the phone back on. You should see a blue miniPooploader screen with a lot of white text scrolling for a moment. When it gets done, pull the battery to shut it off. Then replace the battery (it should still be off)

10. Connect the usb cable between the phone and the PC, and turn the phone on. The PC should see the device, and may or may not assign drivers to it.

11. Install the USB/fastboot driver for the phone. On Win 7 the phone showed initially as android device under other folder in the device manager. After the driver is installed it should be called My HTC.

12. Open the ADB Tools zip file, and put the platform-tools folder on c:\

13. Open a command prompt and go to c:\platform-tools\.
    Once there type:
    Code:
    fastboot devices

You should get a response similar to this:
    C:\platform-tools>fastboot devices
    HT04TM300704 fastboot

If this is not working stop now and troubleshoot.

14. Now to wipe the phone in prep for loading (or reloading) the android rom.
    There is a wipe.bat file I have included. You may run it, or you may type the following commands.
    Code:
    Fastboot erase recovery
    Fastboot erase boot
    Fastboot erase misc
    Fastboot erase system
    Fastboot erase userdata
    Fastboot erase cache

15. Place the recovery (recovery_cwr_6.0.1.3.img) file into c:\platform-tools.

16. Now load the recovery image. If it is named recovery_cwr_6.0.1.3.img you may use the reload_recovery.bat or type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_cwr_6.0.1.3.img
    to load the recovery image then
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery_cwr_6.0.1.3.img

to boot the recovery image.

17. Install the rom.
    Using the volume keys highlight 'Install zip from sdcard' then press the call button to select it.
    Highlight 'choose zip from sdcard' and press the call button to select it.
    Highlight the rom file (GBX_3.4.26_Full.zip) and press the call button to select it.
    Highlight yes and press the call button to select it.
    The rom will now install. This will take a few minutes.

18. (optional) Install Gapps.

Using the volume keys highlight 'Install zip from sdcard' then press the call button to select it.
    Highlight 'choose zip from sdcard' and press the call button to select it.
    Highlight the gapps file (probably gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip) and press the call button to select it.
    Highlight yes and press the call button to select it.
    Gapps will now install. This will take a few minutes.

19. Press the back arrow, and select reboot system now.

The phone should reboot into the Android rom now. It will take about 10min the first time. If you have waited more than 30 something has gone wrong. You should troubleshoot and try again.

At this point you have the basics all in place, and can start using your phone.
    If you want to do basic ADB tasks (along the lines of installing apps remotely/side loading or pushing/pulling files) you will need to install the adb windows driver.

20. Press the thanks button if you liked this guide. :)

P.S.
    If you have issues getting adb to work later, download and use USBDeview.exe to remove the HTC driver entries and then install pdanet for android to get the correct adb drivers installed.
    Thank you WizardKnight for replying me.

This is the steps i use to do.

1. I use RhodiumWUnlocker to unlock my rhod500 , to get any rom loaded with it
    2. I copy RHODIMG.NBH, GBX_3.4.24_Full, recovery_cwr_6.0.1.3 all to my 4gb SDard
    3. Vol- + PWR and phone turns to the tri color screen, then the phone started to load the image files
    4. I press PWR butt to start the update, within a couple of seconds the phone update successfully

I press resest button for the phone to boot up to see if it will go to the fast boot screen.

But i was unlucky always the phone restart itself within some seconds.
    This is my Prb :confused:

Sounds like you just need to flash CWM... the CWM recovery image doesn't go on your SD card, you flash that from your computer using the "fastboot flash" command...

You can also try "fastboot boot <recovery.img>" - w/o the < >. Remember, this is done on your computer. That's why you need the fastboot drivers...
    My Device always restarting after passing through all the tutorials

This isn't enough information to help you.

If you're not going to provide detailed information on what is happening, no one will be able to help you.

Perhaps NAND is not for your device. Flash back to WinMo.
    The guide worked perfectly.

Thanks
    hello
    i have a problem to come back to windows i try to install windows mobile with htc sync and from boot loader but the phone software dont find previous image version how can i come back to windows
    thanks for your solution

Flash any WinMo ROM via SD.

Place the NBH file at the root of your SD, rename it to RHODIMG.NBH.

Boot into bootloader mode (tri-color screen).