Android O Public Beta opinions

Search This thread

23icaro

Dec 30, 2013
Ariquemes
I wanted to do a factory reset but Im not sure, I dont want to do all configuration again just for discover that the lag is still there...

PD: I saw some people that did a Factory reset after update to Android O and they got a bootlopp...Did anyone tried to do a factory reset with the OTA update? I dont want to mess up my phone cuz I dont know how to fix it :/

Sadly I don't tried to do a factory reset, I made unroll and downgraded with the OTA to the 7.1.2 back... The Phone really works better with public 7.1.2 stable... I guess some people "fake" to much the experience with their phones inside theses beta programs, and this makes sometimes more dificult to know if we're getting a problem or not...
Like my problem with the 2% drops , some guys said that don't happen with their nexus, but some guys says that is a well-known glitch with the nexus family and that's ok in have it, this really confuses me. Because all I needed was a fast reply with the truth while my warranty was in time... But it doesn't happen... So I guess that, all of you guys here on XDA NEED to be more consistant about the information, and reveal the truth behind your phone.
Really, you don't need to be afraid of say the bugs, no phone is a GOD creation, no phone with the same specs is better than the others, and if it is, means that the others have hardware problems that needs be replaced the most faster possible, no phone is perfect and without bugs, so stop, guys, with these bull****s! Android O has lags, and I guess that a factory reset won't fix this, because the system is BETA and I really think that the update was meant to be a usable system and not juicy for us per now.

I made a small troubleshooting while with android O, I noticed that if you clean the cache the recent screen become a little less laggy, but in a few minutes or a reboot it become slow again, and you will see huges slowdowns...

AND PLEASE SOMEONE SAY TO ME THAT THIS FREAKING 2%DROP RANDOMLY SOMETIMES IS NORMAL THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAAAAAAAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::rolleyes:

Last edited:

mhdsanto85

Jul 27, 2008
São José dos Campos SP
Sadly I don't tried to do a factory reset, I made unroll and downgraded with the OTA to the 7.1.2 back... The Phone really works better with public 7.1.2 stable... I guess some people "fake" to much the experience with their phones inside theses beta programs, and this makes sometimes more dificult to know if we're getting a problem or not...
Like my problem with the 2% drops , some guys said that don't happen with their nexus, but some guys says that is a well-known glitch with the nexus family and that's ok in have it, this really confuses me. Because all I needed was a fast reply with the truth while my warranty was in time... But it doesn't happen... So I guess that, all of you guys here on XDA NEED to be more consistant about the information, and reveal the truth behind your phone.
Really, you don't need to be afraid of say the bugs, no phone is a GOD creation, no phone with the same specs is better than the others, and if it is, means that the others have hardware problems that needs be replaced the most faster possible, no phone is perfect and without bugs, so stop, guys, with these bull****s! Android O has lags, and I guess that a factory reset won't fix this, because the system is BETA and I really think that the update was meant to be a usable system and not juicy for us per now.

I made a small troubleshooting while with android O, I noticed that if you clean the cache the recent screen become a little less laggy, but in a few minutes or a reboot it become slow again, and you will see huges slowdowns...

AND PLEASE SOMEONE SAY TO ME THAT THIS FREAKING 2%DROP RANDOMLY SOMETIMES IS NORMAL THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAAAAAAAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::rolleyes:

I Think there is only one misunderstanding for most people that enroll this public beta program. They forget that its public, but its still a beta. This is not intended to work perfectly. The lag is well known. And, dont be worry, the stable release will be okay. If you cant live with the usual beta issues, just dont flash beta firmwares. Thats really simple.

And another advice, if you are dependent of opinions for flashing or not, you shouldnt be here. The best way to know if the firmware works pretty bad or not is trying it by yourself and see how it behaves on your device. Then you will be good to give your opinion. And remembers that its your opinion, not mine or others. So, dont blame others for giving opinions, not always this is the true and it not fault of anyone. Its only opinions.

Alcagoita

Yeah without root
When you will install pixel launcher then you will got option in settings .

I've enabled that option, but the dots wont appear on any app.

Running OPP2.170420.019

No dots, no auto-select and no Google Assistant... Something wrong here...

I've rebooted, clear app cache, force closed, nothing, only widgets when long press the icon.

rohit22799

May 23, 2017
I've enabled that option, but the dots wont appear on any app.

Running OPP2.170420.019

No dots, no auto-select and no Google Assistant... Something wrong here...

I've rebooted, clear app cache, force closed, nothing, only widgets when long press the icon.
Dots will appear when you receive message or notification
Just don't clear notification or message it from notification panel or else dots will not appear

For Google Assistant you language need to be English (United States)

23icaro

Dec 30, 2013
Ariquemes
I Think there is only one misunderstanding for most people that enroll this public beta program. They forget that its public, but its still a beta. This is not intended to work perfectly. The lag is well known. And, dont be worry, the stable release will be okay. If you cant live with the usual beta issues, just dont flash beta firmwares. Thats really simple.

And another advice, if you are dependent of opinions for flashing or not, you shouldnt be here. The best way to know if the firmware works pretty bad or not is trying it by yourself and see how it behaves on your device. Then you will be good to give your opinion. And remembers that its your opinion, not mine or others. So, dont blame others for giving opinions, not always this is the true and it not fault of anyone. Its only opinions.

What I said, is that sometimes some users lie in their opinions and this creates a huge snowball of confusion on the other users and on the newbies too. My opinion about flashing or not, was never based on the others, like you said. I flashed Android O without reading this topic, and I had the same experience that the author. Since my Nokia XM5530 I use and make custom roms, kernels, firmwares and any other software related.
My comment was just about the confusion that the users made on my head about the bug that I have facing on my phone, (the 2% battery drop per time bug), because I asked and did not get any confident answer, some users was saying that was facing the problem, or that already listen but not happen with their phones, nothing consistant that I was able to sit down and say "oh hell, yes, what a lack of luck, my phone have an factory defect" understand? I was not on the intention of insult, or denegrate anyone, but just saying to the user to not trust blindfolded on everything that the community says. Futher more that he said that don't have knowledge to repair if something happens, so this is really serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: mhdsanto85

InterrtuptoR

Jan 24, 2015
Beta is for testing and not reporting issues in beta is counterproductive...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
I wanted to do a factory reset but Im not sure, I dont want to do all configuration again just for discover that the lag is still there...

PD: I saw some people that did a Factory reset after update to Android O and they got a bootlopp...Did anyone tried to do a factory reset with the OTA update? I dont want to mess up my phone cuz I dont know how to fix it :/

I updated using the OTA but have had no real problem - there was no bootloop. I also did not wipe cache or data. All my data was preserved alongwith all the apps.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

I had a high battery consumption in the first few days of upto 2% per hour on doze. However, after rebooting and analysing some of the higher using apps and setting/unsetting their battery optimisation seems to be working better. Last night I have 9% over 7 hours with the phone on doze. This is about as good as I was getting with 7.1.2. Remember it is a beta so some app update or new app might screw up battery consumption. Be prepared to analyse the reasons and take corrective action.

maik2215

Jan 4, 2014
Android O was very laggy for me and when I did a factory reset it always went into bootloop. That was probably cause I updated through the OTA from 7.1.2 to Android O. I unlocked my bootloader and flashed the latest factory Image of Android O and relocked it. There are still some Bugs like with the fingerprint scanner and paypal but Overall in runs very smooth now and I can factory reset it now without being stuck in a bootloop.

Last edited:

fishears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2010
github.com
I joined the Android O beta as soon as it became available and it was generally working fine for me. "Disable Absolute Volume" in Developer Options finally worked so I was very happy. Then I tried playing music to my car stereo over BT. No sound. So I looked in the Developer Options and saw you can select your BT Audio Codec. It said "Streaming: AAC" so I changed it to "SBC" and it worked. More joy! But the next time I connected to my car stereo the sound had gone again and looking at the option it said "Streaming: AAC" again. Great. So I have to do that long thumb-dance into Developer Options every time I want music?! Also, Android Auto kept saying that Google Play Music wasn't working so the in-car experience was terrible.

I weighed up the pros & cons for a while then decided I'd be better off back on 7.1.2 where things weren't perfect but they were easier. Simple enough. Backed up my data. Opted the device out of the program. Got an OTA for the full 7.1.2 image. It downloaded, flashed, all data wiped, set up device from scratch and WAIT A MINUTE.... no screen rotation.

I installed a sensor checker and it told me my accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetic field sensor and light sensors were not providing any data. I tried toggling the rotate tile, rebooted to safe mode, cleared the cache - no dice. So I got Google support to call me and they went through all the steps I'd done already and finally told me to contact LG. I did my nut (British expression) at the guy. They didn't offer any other help. I said I might as well unlock the bootloader and try flashing the stock 7.1.2 image manually or re-join the Beta programme - the guy said "Yes, those are both very good ideas". But it WAS ME that suggested them to Google...

Anyway, the first thing I tried was re-enrolling and now I'm back on O my sensors work again. Don't know if I've got the energy now to try wiping, unlocking the bootloader and flashing stock 7.1.2. I just wanted to share this in case anyone else is thinking of opting out. BEWARE

23icaro

Dec 30, 2013
Ariquemes
I joined the Android O beta as soon as it became available and it was generally working fine for me. "Disable Absolute Volume" in Developer Options finally worked so I was very happy. Then I tried playing music to my car stereo over BT. No sound. So I looked in the Developer Options and saw you can select your BT Audio Codec. It said "Streaming: AAC" so I changed it to "SBC" and it worked. More joy! But the next time I connected to my car stereo the sound had gone again and looking at the option it said "Streaming: AAC" again. Great. So I have to do that long thumb-dance into Developer Options every time I want music?! Also, Android Auto kept saying that Google Play Music wasn't working so the in-car experience was terrible.

I weighed up the pros & cons for a while then decided I'd be better off back on 7.1.2 where things weren't perfect but they were easier. Simple enough. Backed up my data. Opted the device out of the program. Got an OTA for the full 7.1.2 image. It downloaded, flashed, all data wiped, set up device from scratch and WAIT A MINUTE.... no screen rotation.

I installed a sensor checker and it told me my accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetic field sensor and light sensors were not providing any data. I tried toggling the rotate tile, rebooted to safe mode, cleared the cache - no dice. So I got Google support to call me and they went through all the steps I'd done already and finally told me to contact LG. I did my nut (British expression) at the guy. They didn't offer any other help. I said I might as well unlock the bootloader and try flashing the stock 7.1.2 image manually or re-join the Beta programme - the guy said "Yes, those are both very good ideas". But it WAS ME that suggested them to Google...

Anyway, the first thing I tried was re-enrolling and now I'm back on O my sensors work again. Don't know if I've got the energy now to try wiping, unlocking the bootloader and flashing stock 7.1.2. I just wanted to share this in case anyone else is thinking of opting out. BEWARE

I opted to unroll too, but my sensors work fine, lol these nexus have an bizarre behavior on the updates :eek:

Jerber

Jun 6, 2013
Android O was very laggy for me and when I did a factory reset it always went into bootloop. That was probably cause I updated through the OTA from 7.1.2 to Android O. I unlocked my bootloader and flashed the latest factory Image of Android O and relocked it. There are still some Bugs like with the fingerprint scanner and paypal but Overall in runs very smooth now and I can factory reset it now without being stuck in a bootloop.

Last night I went back to Android N (I did a back up of course) just throught OTA and then updated to Android O again and it works noticeable better than before, of course there are some bugs yet but at least it works better, the lag is still present but is not that bad like before.
I had the problem of rotation and other stuff not working when back to Android N, now again in Android O everything work (thanks god!)

I had the SAME problem when I decided to go back to Android N, rotation and other stuff didnt work, so I decided to update again to Android O and now everything is working again, maybe something like a change in the kernel of Android O cause the problem when you revert to Nougat; Im using O again and now works better than before, but I guess I would like go back to the fully functional Android N, I need a USB C to Standar USB connector anyways :/

Even though this time Android O is working almost fine, I need the speed and lag free that offers Android N, but for me that means "no rotation" and other stuff like GPS and I really need them.

I guess somebody posted a solution for that here in other page.

Jerber

Jun 6, 2013
For those that are having a really bad experience with Android O this could help:

I dont have a USB-C to Standar USB wire and I really wanted to make my phone works better, flash a stock rom is not an option for me today, so I did this (do a proper back up and do it under your own risk)

*Back up everything.
*Unroll from Beta
*Downgrade to Android N (that implies lost everything)
*Config the device as a new one BUT dont log in your google account, just connect wi-fi (that implies LOSE APP CONFIGURATIONS and Wi-Fi passwords)
*Regist your device to Android O again
*Wait for the update and install it.
*Configure the whole phone, apps and everything (remember, if you config it as a new device before going back to Android N the device will not download your previos configuration as settings config, apps config, wi-fi saved passwords etc etc.

I did it and Im still configuring everything but the phone works better that the first time I installed Android O through OTA without wipe the phone.

I will keep testing the phone in this way and I will let you guys know if it really helps in long terms (I mean, if next week the phone still works fine means that all the effort worth it)

PD: Just one thing, if Ambient display doesnt work for you, just, turn the option off, then On, and then power off the phone (power off, not a restart), turn it on and thats all.

NOTES: Going back to Android N could cause some stuff stop working like, rotation, gps, etc.

If you do a factory reset in Android O that could cause a bootloop, be careful and just try it IF you can flash the phone (remember the USB-C to Standar USB wire, my phone didt came with one...)

stobinator42

May 24, 2017
When i try updating apps ,they start downloading and get stuck and don't go further for installing.Anybody with the same problem ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I create flashable zip, flash via twrp recovery

-New Pixel launcher
    -pixel boot animation w/sound
    -pixel live wallpaper from Pixel Android 8.0.0 (pixel live wallpaper from 8.0.0 will not work/live earth wallpaper just crash)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpbw4ebd1xjxltt/Android O Pixel Launcher8.0.zip?dl=0

*Night light
    I just put framework-res__auto_generated_rro.apk in system/vendor/overlay then change DPI in developer option from 411 to 480 or whatever you want (I change to 429) night light will enable itself but need wait.
    (Pixel Theme will not work) thanks to @Anirudhgupta109
    https://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/night-light-nexus-5x-6p-android-o-t3613171

*Round icon
    Im not using any custom icon, it will enable itself or Try edit build prop "ro.product.model=Google Pixel"
    Today I installed the Public beta version of Android O, it has a really nice redesign and some cool new functions, but, how is the performance?, I would like to share with you my experience, and hope you guys can share your experience here too.

Im going to be direct:

*Notification sounds are delayed
    *Ambient display just work tapping two times
    *Recent app lags
    *Clean data option (on storage) is gone.
    *Slowdown in some apps (guess just have to wait for an update)

I did a "wipe cache partition" after install the update, I didnt clear the data from storage cuz the option is gone.

New info: 05/24 (or 24/05 from spanish people)

For those that are having a really bad experience with Android O this could help:

I dont have a USB-C to Standar USB wire and I really wanted to make my phone works better, flash a stock rom is not an option for me today, so I did this (do a proper back up and do it under your own risk)

*Back up everything.
    *Unroll from Beta
    *Downgrade to Android N (that implies lost everything)
    *Config the device as a new one BUT dont log in your google account, just connect wi-fi (that implies LOSE APP CONFIGURATIONS and Wi-Fi passwords)
    *Regist your device to Android O again
    *Wait for the update and install it.
    *Configure the whole phone, apps and everything (remember, if you config it as a new device before going back to Android N the device will not download your previos configuration as settings config, apps config, wi-fi saved passwords etc etc.

I did it and Im still configuring everything but the phone works better that the first time I installed Android O through OTA without wipe the phone.

I will keep testing the phone in this way and I will let you guys know if it really helps in long terms (I mean, if next week the phone still works fine means that all the effort worth it)

PD: Just one thing, if Ambient display doesnt work for you, just, turn the option off, then On, and then power off the phone (power off, not a restart), turn it on and thats all.

NOTES: Going back to Android N could cause some stuff stop working like, rotation, gps, etc.

If you do a factory reset in Android O that could cause a bootloop, be careful and just try it IF you can flash the phone (remember the USB-C to Standar USB wire, my phone didt came with one...)

IMPORTANT:

If you went back to Nougat and found that stuff like GPS, rotation etc was not working, here you have a solution that allow you back to Nougat without those problems.

In Android O:
    *Unroll from Beta program.
    *Install the downgrade package
    *Start your phone loging in your account but disable everything and dont restore your configuration. (Just use your account for go to the main screen)
    *When finally you get the control of the phone DO A FACTORY RESET (from settings)
    *This time configure averything as you want (restoring apps and configurations) and thaths all!, try to test everything and this time all will be working as always! :)
    No root, no flash, just doing that :D
    New update of google photos has recovered the icon :)

Changelog. At least what I noticed
    Square icons (some of them)
    Removed navigation bar in UI tuner (you can't enable PiP mode because navbar settings are missing)
    UI isn't laggy
    Music app will change color to fit into music art
    You can update Google App
    Well Android 8.0.0
    Removed Wifi auto enable in trusted locations (or whatever they called it)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using XDA Labs