Android on NAND vs WM6,1

Search This thread

pendelv

May 1, 2009
Hallo together,

The last 3 days i thinking to flash my Orbit 2 with the Android Froyo, but this process is complicated and take much time. I thought more people have flashed the Android on Touch Cruise already and can answer me a couple questions.
1. Is the android on NAND faster than WM 6.1?
2. Have the Android a GPU driver for TC or Orbit 2?
3. How much free space i would be having?
4. Is it possible to move the apps to SD or make a virtual partition on SD like an internal memory?
5. The battery drain?
6. Can i use iGo 8?
7. Have someone tested the Golaunchenr on TC or Orbit 2?

That’s all. It would be nice if someone explain me this simple things!

With best regards

Pendelv

pendelv

May 1, 2009
I can't believe, that nobody have answer on my questions.

Can someone who flashed the Android on NAND answer only this 3 questions, all anothe i finded in the board.

1. Is the android on NAND faster than WM 6.1?
2. Have the Android a GPU driver for TC or Orbit 2?
3. How much free space i would be having after flashing the Android on NAND with Data on SD?

hcchcc

Feb 20, 2008
i have install nand before and now flash back wm6.5
maybe i can answer some of the question
1. the speed is acceptable if not open heavy load apps
2. the quacomm brenchmark have about 26 fps
3. space since i mount all things to sd, so i am not very clear

run android on TC is funny, but i don't think it can serve as daily use
easy to hang and after hang, sometimes the kernel will corrupt and cannot restart the phone,
also, when the battery use up, the phone cannot charge ( restart and restart and even use more power )
the battery meter is not accurate also..

hope i can answer your question

pendelv

May 1, 2009
Thanks a lot

now it is simple to make a right desision to stay by wm 6.1.
I use iGo 8 on my Orbit 2 like Navigation in the Car, but i have read that the people have run the igo8 under Android. I ask me how? I think for me its better to stay with wm 6.1 and SPB shell. Works fine now. Actualy Android with marketplace and so many Apps sounds great, but if it dont work corectly....?

With best regards!

Pendelv

whitealien

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2008
Paris
1st of all I disagree a little with hcchcc. To flash Android on Nand is actually very simple and it runs pretty good.

Also to answer your questions:
  1. It is faster than WM6.1
  2. You won't play games with this old crap, but UI is very smooth
  3. Around ~90Mb, but it depends of ROM
  4. It is native Froyo feature to move apps to SD card so not all apps are movable
  5. Battery drain is equal as on WM6.1. It can hold about 2-3 days, but again it depends of ROM, kernel and radio
  6. Don't know about iGo, but Google maps and navigation works fine
  7. Go launcher works fine, but I would recommend Launcher Pro

While my new Lumia 800 is at reparation I took off some dust from my old Polaris.
Android development have been stopped very long time ago for this device so you take what you have. I tried l1q1d's RLS16 with 2.6.32.9 kernel, but I find it too unstable and too many small annoying bugs.
I'm currently using RLS18 with 2.6.25 kernel and it works surprisingly good. I spend about 2 weeks optimizing and tweaking it and now I'm very happy with result. It is my daily ROM atm.

Overall android works fine on Polaris. The only huge problem is low RAM (only 105Mb). This also means there will be no multitasking. So unless you don't load any heavy apps like Gmaps or browsing heavy web pages everything works just fine. Because of this drawback if you are using Gmaps and receiving a call in the same time phone may crash or in best case it will hang an incoming call or if you are lucky it will path through.

If you wish I can share my ROM.

Reactions: gushpitz

gushpitz

Dec 27, 2011
Baia Mare
1st of all I disagree a little with hcchcc. To flash Android on Nand is actually very simple and it runs pretty good.

4. It is native Froyo feature to move apps to SD card so not all apps are movable
  5. Battery drain is equal as on WM6.1. It can hold about 2-3 days, but again it depends of ROM, kernel and radio

While my new Lumia 800 is at reparation I took off some dust from my old Polaris.
Android development have been stopped very long time ago for this device so you take what you have. I tried l1q1d's RLS16 with 2.6.32.9 kernel, but I find it too unstable and too many small annoying bugs.
I'm currently using RLS18 with 2.6.25 kernel and it works surprisingly good. I spend about 2 weeks optimizing and tweaking it and now I'm very happy with result. It is my daily ROM atm.

Overall android works fine on Polaris. The only huge problem is low RAM (only 105Mb). This also means there will be no multitasking. So unless you don't load any heavy apps like Gmaps or browsing heavy web pages everything works just fine. Because of this drawback if you are using Gmaps and receiving a call in the same time phone may crash or in best case it will hang an incoming call or if you are lucky it will path through.

Hi,
Please share your ROM. I installed Incubu's RLS16. Where can i download liqid's RLS18.
Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.