General Android Phones Privacy. Is it more secure than previous versions? View on ColorOS 12

Search This thread

kibulon

Account currently disabled
Oct 14, 2021
Recent reviews of Android 12 have been enticing me to check back to current changes. Personally, I enjoy Androids (nearly) full customizable & unlockable ecosystem, but the thought of being invasive by customized setups has always haunted me.

I wouldn’t describe myself as paranoid, but with interest in personal privacy protection, especially when it comes to the use of files and location sharing. As a full time Google Suite user, I’m strongly relying on Googles’ Apps and suitable solutions, across private and work.

As we see with the new Android 12 a high priority is placed on Privacy. A brand new Privacy Dashboard app, which is similar to iOS 15, reports which apps are utilizing personal information through sensors on the device. Based on these new (or partly new) implementations, I came across OPPO’s new ColorOS 12 based on Android 12, which seems to be the fastest OEM to catch up on this.

What do we know already? ColorOS 12 comes with a 100% Android Privacy Feature integration, to manage private data and features, including

Privacy Dashboard
Users can now see the type of data that is being accessed by different apps at a glance in one dashboard. OPPO, too, will be hosting this feature, with clear charts showing data and feature permissions, allowing you to see and control which apps have been extracting your data.

Microphone and Camera Indicators
With apps becoming incessantly intrusive, ColorOS 12 will rectify the situation by giving indicators if any app is using the phone’s camera or mic. A flashing icon will be displayed on the status bar to tell you which permission is being accessed by the app.

Microphone and Camera toggles
You can also instantly turn off apps permission to camera and microphone with a single tap, barricading your hardware against any future forced entry attempt via Quick Settings option.

Approximate Location
Next to the previous options of location settings by choosing between “While using the app”, “Only this time” and “Deny” you can provide apps now also an approximate location to hide your exact whereabouts.

Anti-Peeping Notification
A so far ColorOS only feature, previously named Smart Spying Prevention, should help to prevent privacy, or in this case notification content. An AI-enhanced Smart Sensor, recognizes if there’s another person watching your screen and hides content of pop up messages, probably pretty cool in public places.

All in all Android 12 sounds very promising to me. Next to all these features I am hoping that continuous software- and security upgrades will be dropped to ensure ongoing security. I’m keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that Android will do the trick and will keep you updated about my experience with OPPO and ColorOS 12.

What are your thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Android-12-privacy-featured.jpg
    Android-12-privacy-featured.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: maxellxl

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
As far as I'm concerned Android 11 and 12 are dead meat. A bad Apple... 🤮🤮🤢
If you're careful with your configuration, load only trusted apps, run a firewall and don't to stupid things Android 9 is pretty secure and far more usable.
Android 10 is somewhat less usable, but runs well.
Android 11 is a bloody nightmare. Uses excessive resources and cpu cycles. Constant redundant access popups.
A creepy big sister of a hog. Android is in a high G flat spin, as their altitude sink rate approaches a blur all they do is firewall the throttle indents to the full afterburner position🤣
The impending crash is inevitable☠☠☠

The irony being that Google is the biggest data miner and manipulator on the planet.
With Google you're not the customer... you are the product.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recent reviews of Android 12 have been enticing me to check back to current changes. Personally, I enjoy Androids (nearly) full customizable & unlockable ecosystem, but the thought of being invasive by customized setups has always haunted me.

I wouldn’t describe myself as paranoid, but with interest in personal privacy protection, especially when it comes to the use of files and location sharing. As a full time Google Suite user, I’m strongly relying on Googles’ Apps and suitable solutions, across private and work.

As we see with the new Android 12 a high priority is placed on Privacy. A brand new Privacy Dashboard app, which is similar to iOS 15, reports which apps are utilizing personal information through sensors on the device. Based on these new (or partly new) implementations, I came across OPPO’s new ColorOS 12 based on Android 12, which seems to be the fastest OEM to catch up on this.

What do we know already? ColorOS 12 comes with a 100% Android Privacy Feature integration, to manage private data and features, including

Privacy Dashboard
    Users can now see the type of data that is being accessed by different apps at a glance in one dashboard. OPPO, too, will be hosting this feature, with clear charts showing data and feature permissions, allowing you to see and control which apps have been extracting your data.

Microphone and Camera Indicators
    With apps becoming incessantly intrusive, ColorOS 12 will rectify the situation by giving indicators if any app is using the phone’s camera or mic. A flashing icon will be displayed on the status bar to tell you which permission is being accessed by the app.

Microphone and Camera toggles
    You can also instantly turn off apps permission to camera and microphone with a single tap, barricading your hardware against any future forced entry attempt via Quick Settings option.

Approximate Location
    Next to the previous options of location settings by choosing between “While using the app”, “Only this time” and “Deny” you can provide apps now also an approximate location to hide your exact whereabouts.

Anti-Peeping Notification
    A so far ColorOS only feature, previously named Smart Spying Prevention, should help to prevent privacy, or in this case notification content. An AI-enhanced Smart Sensor, recognizes if there’s another person watching your screen and hides content of pop up messages, probably pretty cool in public places.

All in all Android 12 sounds very promising to me. Next to all these features I am hoping that continuous software- and security upgrades will be dropped to ensure ongoing security. I’m keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that Android will do the trick and will keep you updated about my experience with OPPO and ColorOS 12.

What are your thoughts on this?