• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Android Port to HTC Touch Pro 2

Do you want Android ported for HTC Touch Pro 2

• Total voters
Search This thread

undefined

Aug 4, 2009
Findlay, OH
serhodes.com
I would totally use android all the time if they could just figure out how to get the speaker working, and maybe the Headphone driver working too, I use my phone for music at work, so not having sound is a big drawback, but otherwise it works great with the exception of the battery always being 'dead" lol

Hank73

Jan 30, 2010
2.0.1--> 2.1

Hi,

I'm really sorry for the likely easy question but I could not found solution...
I have the 2010/03/31 version of he 2.0.1 (on HTC Touch Pro 2) and I have just seen the 2.1.
I deinstalled the old one, installed the new one the run the usual icon.
After the boot I always get the following error: "the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. please try again"

The always mean every 10 seconds.
After this I tried the following:
- deinstall everything
- remove all android related files
- install 2.1 again then copy the data.img + android apps back

Problem remained the same.

Now I gave another try.
Did the same (uninstall, delete, install) and just copied the data.img.
Problem remained the same.

Unfortunately the data.img contains many important SMS hence I do not want to loose those.
Otherwise it seems the data.img file casuse the problem.

Any idea or a good tool that helps to backup the datas from 2.0.1 and migrate to 2.1?

Hank

scrawley

Mar 30, 2007
Plans

Gents,

I have recently come into possession of a TP2, and of course would like to try Android on it. Looking through this thread, I'm not comfortable installing it given how much is not working with the current roms. My question - is this still being actively worked on by those who know about these things, or have people moved on to newer hardware?

DaveTheTytnIIGuy

Aug 28, 2008
Sacramento, California
Gents,

I have recently come into possession of a TP2, and of course would like to try Android on it. Looking through this thread, I'm not comfortable installing it given how much is not working with the current roms. My question - is this still being actively worked on by those who know about these things, or have people moved on to newer hardware?
It's still being actively worked on, just not here. Most of the work takes place on #htc-linux on freenode, and most of the posts made by developers are made in the Rhodium Android subforum. You can find the latest kernels at http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android, which are released by the devs every few days or so. But keep in mind that a lot still isn't working, and since most of the easy stuff has already been done, it could be awhile before some hardware works at all (if ever).

CosmicBlue2000

Jun 18, 2010
Wedel, near Hamburg
Hi there,

I'm tired of using Windows Mobile 6.5. It doesn't keep, what it was promising. Custom applications are too spreaded across the web or - compared with iPhone - too expensive in the official Microsoft Windows Mobile-Shop.
So i thought, using Android on my HTC Touch Pro 2 might be a good idea.

I found a lot of pages referred to this topic, but none of them is quite useful and understandable to me.
At least I found, that this must be the place where Android for TP2 comes from and all my questions might be answered.

First of all: 71 pages is a lot to work through and since I'm not used to use any Linux nor Android software, I have to admit, I nearly don't understand anything. But it might be my english as well.

I found here a lot of links going to a lot of pages and Names like Kaiser, Polaris, Rhodium, Vogue, Diamond and Titan, CDMA Android and GSM Android and I have no idea, what that means.

It might not be as simples as that, but I miss a post, saying:
Download this file for newest, stablest, most hardware compatible release for HTC TP2, beeing able to use most of the Android applets out there, put it there on our phone, running that file, do this or that and you are ready to go.

Or I'm I just to blind to see?

J-Hop2o6

Aug 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hi there,

I'm tired of using Windows Mobile 6.5. It doesn't keep, what it was promising. Custom applications are too spreaded across the web or - compared with iPhone - too expensive in the official Microsoft Windows Mobile-Shop.
So i thought, using Android on my HTC Touch Pro 2 might be a good idea.

I found a lot of pages referred to this topic, but none of them is quite useful and understandable to me.
At least I found, that this must be the place where Android for TP2 comes from and all my questions might be answered.

First of all: 71 pages is a lot to work through and since I'm not used to use any Linux nor Android software, I have to admit, I nearly don't understand anything. But it might be my english as well.

I found here a lot of links going to a lot of pages and Names like Kaiser, Polaris, Rhodium, Vogue, Diamond and Titan, CDMA Android and GSM Android and I have no idea, what that means.

Download this file for newest, stablest, most hardware compatible release for HTC TP2, beeing able to use most of the Android applets out there, put it there on our phone, running that file, do this or that and you are ready to go.

here's where u should start for Android on the TP2/Rhodium: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=684018

CosmicBlue2000

Jun 18, 2010
Wedel, near Hamburg
Thanks, so far.

Some more questions:
It seems, I have the GSM version of the TP2, because the CPU is a 7200A, is that right?
So I can still use that link? Following it, I find 3 different versions of Android2.1:
AOSP, LaunchPro and SenseUI - where are the differences?

atticus182

Apr 29, 2010
Lienden
www.antonpost.nl
Thanks, so far.

Some more questions:
It seems, I have the GSM version of the TP2, because the CPU is a 7200A, is that right?
So I can still use that link? Following it, I find 3 different versions of Android2.1:
AOSP, LaunchPro and SenseUI - where are the differences?

AOSP is the standard 2.1 Android Version
LaunchPro uses the addon Launcher Pro (I use this version)
SenseUI uses the HTC Sense UI on top of Android

iridium21

Jul 15, 2009
Lancashire
Hi there,

Nope, you're not blind ;) If you're looking for an Android build that you can use for a day-to-day replacement, then I'm sorry but you're out of luck :(

Even the latest builds don't have sound yet and are a huge drain on your battery. But they're fun to play around with for a short while.

The ProjectAndroid 2.1Sense 042810.cab (available from here) is the most stable at the moment in my opinion. Just install it, run Project Android from the start menu, select your model and away you go. :)

I must admit that I agree with you about some of WM's shortcomings - I've been playing with my wife's new HTC Desire the past few days and it makes my TP2 look like a pile of puke :eek:

This will definitely be the last Windows powered phone I buy - but I'll never touch an iPhone!

J-Hop2o6

Aug 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
So LauncherPro is a kind of GUI?
sorta.. Launcher Pro changes the Home Screens and the App Drawer/Launcher.. thats it.. and its customizable also.. i use this also.. so i would so use the Launcher Pro version in that thread..

if u want more power/speed, just add the OC line in the startup txt (worry about this after u get the hang of Android on your TP2)

CosmicBlue2000

Jun 18, 2010
Wedel, near Hamburg
Thx for all these infos.
Tried LauncherPro and SenseUI now.
Seems LP is more useful while SU looks better.
Perhaps, it is possible to have both? Or even more: I once had the Palm Pre in my hands and I think, the WebOS might also be a useful UI and since it's a kind of Linux too - can it be combined? A little bit of this and a little of that?

So far, there is nothing I miss. All I have to complain about is watching the battery draining in a short time...And that the TP2 doesn't have multitouch.

When I start Android, there is an option "Hardware 3D". On which Smartphones can that be used?

Thanks so far again.

J-Hop2o6

Aug 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thx for all these infos.
Tried LauncherPro and SenseUI now.
Seems LP is more useful while SU looks better.
Perhaps, it is possible to have both? Or even more: I once had the Palm Pre in my hands and I think, the WebOS might also be a useful UI and since it's a kind of Linux too - can it be combined? A little bit of this and a little of that?

So far, there is nothing I miss. All I have to complain about is watching the battery draining in a short time...And that the TP2 doesn't have multitouch.

When I start Android, there is an option "Hardware 3D". On which Smartphones can that be used?

Thanks so far again.
there will be no point to put LP on top of Sense.. you'll just be wasting more RAM (Sense already uses alot of our limited RAM).. i have Sense in another folder on my SD card (the OS like 2.1, 2.0.1, or Sense is the system.sqsh file).. so if i wanted to keep switching back and froth from 2.1 AOSP and Sense is to keep switching the system.sqsh files.

Anyways.. i have no clue about a webOS port, but i doubt anyone is working on a port.

Depending on use (non-standby), u can get between 4-8 hours on constant use.. also watch app update intervals, screen brightness, radios (eg. wifi, 3G signal), etc.. and yea, no multitouch because of our resistive screen.

since HW3D is not working or buggy right now, keep it unchecked (i think it works for 2.0.1).

truffle1234

Mar 16, 2007
Tokyo
i am testing android 2.1 sense, and i have to say its COOL... very smooth, i am concidering an android phone now... but i need keyboard... so i will wait.. great job guys...

CosmicBlue2000

Jun 18, 2010
Wedel, near Hamburg
The (Hardware)keyboard of the TP2 is operational with 2.1sense.

Where do I send my feedback at?
I found some things which doesn't fit to what's know about the android port for the TP2:
-there is sound. Played Jewel and I was in a silence enviroment. So I heard it. But it's very, very quiet, even with volume at max. (LauncherPro and SenseUI)
-I don't own any other Bluetooth devices, but so far, I could activate BT and scan for others. No crash or so. (LP und SU)
-for beeing no Emulator, it is very slow, very often, there is an input lag. Very often, there is a loading screen (SenseUI)
-Status/Notification LED is out (somewhere I found, that it might be on all the time as for diagnostic purposes.)
-Automatic Date/Time adjustment works well, no adding of time by switching between WM and Android. (someone wrote taht it might happen)
-GSensor can not be calibrated. Says "calibration cancelled/aborted".

Besides that, it just great. Thanks.
Even it's not perfect, it way better than WM6.5 and it will do my every day work from this day on.
I'd like to remove WM6.5 completely and put Adroid on system memory, not on SD card.

Last edited:

J-Hop2o6

Aug 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
The (Hardware)keyboard of the TP2 is operational with 2.1sense.

Where do I send my feedback at?
I found some things which doesn't fit to what's know about the android port for the TP2:
-there is sound. Played Jewel and I was in a silence environment. So I heard it. But it's very, very quiet, even with volume at max. (LauncherPro and SenseUI)
-I don't own any other Bluetooth devices, but so far, I could activate BT and scan for others. No crash or so. (LP und SU)
-for being no Emulator, it is very slow, very often, there is an input lag. Very often, there is a loading screen (SenseUI)
-Status/Notification LED is out (somewhere I found, that it might be on all the time as for diagnostic purposes.)
-Automatic Date/Time adjustment works well, no adding of time by switching between WM and Android. (someone wrote that it might happen)
-GSensor can not be calibrated. Says "calibration canceled/aborted".

Besides that, it just great. Thanks.
Even it's not perfect, it way better than WM6.5 and it will do my every day work from this day on.
I'd like to remove WM6.5 completely and put Android on system memory, not on SD card.
all of these are know issues.. remember.. THIS IS A PORT.. NOT AN ACTUAL ANDROID PHONE.. so just appluad them for their work and be happy u can play with Android on your TP2.. but ALL the help u will need on your TP2 will be here ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=627997 ).. the question u have will be in the FIRST THREE POSTS.. and if u want it to be faster, add the overclock cpu line in your startup txt.. so READ, SEARCH, THEN ASK QUESTIONS, or u will been flamed for askin questions thats be ask countless times in that thread.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts