Android Town

Search This thread

LuftWalk

Mar 27, 2010
Ok, Android Town is now an obsolete name and application on the market. It was renamed to Peeples. Peeples is a seperate app on the market so you would need to download that one. It uses the same DB as Android Town so all your information is saved.

Peeples is a social community application which is location based. It enables users to see other users of the application on the map and strike up a conversation with them. Privacy options are also available.
So far the application has over 11k users.

Peeples has the added options of:
- uploading profile pictures and avatar through the application
- sending files from SD card with messages as attachments (5Mb limit for now)

Try it out and let me know what you think.

peeples_qr_small.png

Attachments

• AndroidTown.apk
    228.2 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:

PanzerGeist

Feb 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Running it on a G1 running CM 4.2.15.1.
Noticed a few things.
1) Registration via App Only (not a big deal, just no indication on the site as such)
2) Registration within the app resulted in "passwords do not match" ANY time I left a password field even when they did match
3) Map reacts slowly when being moved or zoomed in/out

As there's no one yet in my area run ning this, I haven't tested many of the other features. I'll report as I experience more.

LuftWalk

Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for giving it a try. Hopefully some more US citizens register so you'll be able to interact with them. 5000 kms (around 3100 miles) is the biggest radius so far. Most of the users are in Europe at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up on the registration part. I will definitely try to improve it.

I was also thinking about adding content from social networks if users have any (FB, Twitter, FLickr...). What do you think about that?

And thanks again for testing

PanzerGeist

Feb 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Have yet to install the newer release for testing, but looking forward to it.

The concept of linking other social media is a fine idea, provided that there are switches set in place to allow for selected/unselected status. I know plenty of users who would want to publish information for their Facebook, but may want to avoid doing so on other networks.
Either way, yeah, further integration with social media is a fine idea.

LuftWalk

Mar 27, 2010
Application is still in its's early days. If you choose a larger radius you will see more users (around 45 accross the world right now)

Giland

Nov 27, 2008
Kristiansand
How about making a public chat channel that every one is in , when we connect . And late maybe switch it so it will be local / country only.

All depending on how many users this app gets :)

LuftWalk

Mar 27, 2010
That's actually a very good idea. I'll be sure to do that as soon as possible...shouldn't be that hard (at least for a single one for starters)

PanzerGeist

Feb 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Private Messages look fine on the G1. No issue there.
I'll be comparing my experience to my friend's on the Nexus. Hopefully provide you some better feedback concerning how this works with the G1's older hardware.

Edit: First things we noticed, "Passwords do not match!" error is still present when registering via the app, even if the passwords do match. This issue has been replicated on the G1 and the Nexus 1.

Other noted issues:
Attempt to "Add as friend" on the G1 results in a toast of "Error". No other information contained in error.
Sending a picture on the G1 took about 1 min 45 seconds from time of shot to "Picture sent!" toast showed up.

I'll see what I can do to provide better information (such as screenshots, etc)
Let me know what else you could use.

Last edited:

LuftWalk

Mar 27, 2010
Working on the mentioned bugs as we speak. Will probably release an upgrade today that might fix a few things.

@squirreleater: the internet register option is definitely needed. I agree.