Android TPMS How does it work

Search This thread

tikkis

Feb 11, 2017
Hello. guys
i got hold of a TPMS kit from Teyes. 4 tpms in tyre sensors, and usb reciver device with usb. i also got the Teyes cc2plus head unit.

My problem is that i have to sets of tyres. Winter/summer. So teyes or other brands that supports android 10. only ship with one set of 4 sensors.
I Have a Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 unit. I tried to read the sensor but faild to read. As i know the sensor is on 433mhz. and like other china products no markings or numbers.

I would think it was a easy job to just read the sensor and wright to a new one. so then you would have 2 duplicate sets. but no.

I am hoping some of you have the knowledge to help me.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hello. guys
i got hold of a TPMS kit from Teyes. 4 tpms in tyre sensors, and usb reciver device with usb. i also got the Teyes cc2plus head unit.

My problem is that i have to sets of tyres. Winter/summer. So teyes or other brands that supports android 10. only ship with one set of 4 sensors.
I Have a Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 unit. I tried to read the sensor but faild to read. As i know the sensor is on 433mhz. and like other china products no markings or numbers.

I would think it was a easy job to just read the sensor and wright to a new one. so then you would have 2 duplicate sets. but no.

I am hoping some of you have the knowledge to help me.
What about the teyes thread that discusses your unit. You have to put some effort in on xda, there are no guys

First contact for support is Teyes, what did they suggest you do before returning defective product

hurjup

Sep 29, 2021
I'd like to read my factory(!) TPMS sensors with my android head unit. Since OBD2 dongles don't seem to provide TPMS data (shame...), I think buying an aftermarket TPMS set, solely for the USB receiver unit. Since I can read TPMS data using my RTL-SDR dongle from my PC with no problem, it may be working, just a question of configuration.

And yes, "question of configuration". Did anyone around here have experiments / experience with such an USB receiver unit? Or am I just overcomplicating things?

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
@hurjup

Check the CAN settings in your unit. The OEM TPMS data are provided via CAN.
Depends on the car if the CAN box is able to translate these data to be able to see that in your radio.

Last edited:

hurjup

Sep 29, 2021
@hurjup

Check the CAN settings in your unit. The OEM TPMS data are provided via CAN.
Depends on the car if the CAN box is able to translate these data to be able to see that in your radio.

Could you explain a bit "can box"?
For the very same(?) head units sometimes an additional box (can box?) was provided and sometimes not. Amyway, I didn't receive anything like that for my suzuki s-cross, which looks normal to me. Is it embedded into the unit (which doesn't implement TPMS reading)? Or is it not needed for general functionality?
In short, knowing my car type, can I improve the situation with TPMS, or it is better just let it go?
Thank you in advance...

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Well...
I don´t know if your unit has an internal CAN-Box or not. Please ask your reseller.

Nevertheless:
Even your suzuki s-cross should provide these data via CAN.

So possible issues could be:
  • No CAN-box internal or external (but I expect to get clamp 15, Reverse gear and some other stuff to be provided by any can box)
  • CAN settings in the unit are wrong
    • Wrong car set
    • wrong CAN box set
But most of the time you run into the issue that the CAN box (internal or external) does not translate these data. (most of the cars are not supported for data more than SW-Buttons, Clamp 15, Reverse gear, e-brake)

You should contact your reseller and ask if there is a CAN Adapter available which decodes these data for your car.
I searched already, but did not find any for your car which should be able to do what you want.

hurjup

Sep 29, 2021
I vote for the "CAN box does not translate these data" option. I've contacted my seller, but expect multiple rounds when it tries to google translate "can type" or "can adapter" before hitting a dead end. I don't expect any resolution of this problem through support, simply because the product page wanted to sell me an aftermarket TPMS set for my particular car type.
Some time possibly I'll make a try with such a set, maybe an app dev was lazy enough to adapt rtl_433 with minimal modifications and it will just work.

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
You´re not allone...
For my Mitsubishi I even don´t get the door open messages and climate control through the CAN box.
Even intire OEM TPMS is not visible. Just visible in the cluster. It is available on CAN, but not translated.

If you would own a VW Golf as example, you would get all this stuff on your unit....so guess why no one get´s on the CAN traces and translates the signals for cars which are not sold that often...