[Android TV] Control Mapper & Keyboard (CMAK)

Search This thread

4a_j

May 10, 2013
This experimental input method for Android TV devices includes both a control mapper and a variety of options for text entry.

Jump to the latest release.

Control Mapper:
  • Remap buttons
  • Use buttons as hotkeys to quickly launch favorite apps
  • Switch your Sony Touchpad Remote to/from mouse pointer mode (Sony Bravia only)
  • Create several control mapper profiles and assign each app to the appropriate profile

Keyboard:
  • On-screen keyboard
  • T9 style entry with a TV remote with number and color keys
  • Dictate the contents of any text field using your remote with onboard microphone
    Note: This means voice search will not be summoned when a text field has focus.

Notes:
  • Motion controls (e.g. analog sticks) cannot yet be remapped. An extremely limited form of this functionality is expected to eventually be released for all users. Full support will require the app to be signed with the platform key.
  • It might be possible to remap your controls in such a way that you have difficulty using your TV. Don't do that.

Attachments

• device-2016-08-04-001523.jpg
    device-2016-08-04-001523.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 7,020
  • device-2016-08-04-001733.png
    device-2016-08-04-001733.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,959
  • device-2016-08-04-001716.png
    device-2016-08-04-001716.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 6,890
Last edited:

4a_j

May 10, 2013
v2016.09.17

* Can now intercept the GUIDE key on Sony Bravia TV's
* Vendor-neutral improvements in the dispatch of special keys. Because CMAK cannot intercept most of these keys, you will generally have to choose them from the list instead of recording them.
* When choosing a key to dispatch from the list, CMAK will now detect special keys that are relevant to your TV and list them above everything else. This should dramatically reduce the need to scroll the list and reduce the amount of guessing necessary when special keys have terrible names.

For the benefit of anyone else who has a Sony Bravia, these are the special keys on my TV:

3D_MODE
Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but displays the "3D Mode" configuration dialog.
BUTTON_1
The DISCOVER button on my remote.
BUTTON_2
The ACTION MENU button on my remote.
BUTTON_3
The SYNC MENU button on my remote.
BUTTON_4
The NETFLIX button on my remote. It is suggested that if you want to map a key to Netflix, that you use an app shortcut instead.
BUTTON_5
Has no apparent function on my TV.
BUTTON_6
Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but opens the "Playstation Now" app. It is suggested that you if you want to map a key to Playstation Now, that you use an app shortcut instead.
BUTTON_7
BUTTON_8
Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but opens the "Google Play Movies" app. It is suggested that you if you want to map a key to Google Play Movies, that you use an app shortcut instead.
BUTTON_15
BUTTON_16
These have no apparent function on my TV.
GUIDE
The GUIDE button on my remote. CMAK can also intercept this button and remap it.
HELP
The HELP button on my remote.
TV
The TV button on my remote.
TV_CONTENTS_MENU
Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but opens a dialog that says the feature is not available.
TV_INPUT
The TV INPUT button on my remote.
TV_INPUT_COMPOSITE_1
Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but switches the input to VIDEO 1.
TV_INPUT_COMPOSITE_2
TV_INPUT_COMPONENT_1
TV_INPUT_COMPONENT_2
Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but switches the input to COMPONENT.
TV_INPUT_HDMI_1
TV_INPUT_HDMI_2
TV_INPUT_HDMI_3
TV_INPUT_HDMI_4
Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but switches the input to the corresponding HDMI input.
TV_INPUT_VGA_1
TV_ZOOM_MODE
The WIDE button on my remote.

Last edited:
Reactions: srihari210

4a_j

May 10, 2013
v2016.09.18:
This release resolves a major problem discovered in the build process and should improve stability.

Attachments

• v2016.09.18.apk
    212.6 KB · Views: 1,114

4a_j

May 10, 2013
v2016.09.29
  • Optional non-staggered key layout
  • Added new "Peripheral Manager" but it's not good for much yet
  • Various internal fixes and improvements

If you're using CMAK, please post your feedback!

Attachments

• v2016.09.29.apk
    277.8 KB · Views: 3,279
Reactions: csk007

csk007

Sep 26, 2010
Awesome Idea

I am too using Sony Bravia... with Dishtv (india) this is really a great app.... :good::good:

i really needed such an app... what i am trying to do is map some dummy buttons on my remote to special key for STB_POWER
unfortunatley this is not working.....

as of now everytime i need to goto Action Menu >> Right >> Right >> STB_POWER >> Confirm

i was very happy to find this key in the key to dispatch but to my bad luck this isn't working yet....

also cmake is not available in India Playstore i had downloaded manually any country restrcitions ???

if this starts working for me i need not break my head to send ircc commands via tasker http wifi etc..... trying hard to fix that aswell.... that too seems very complicated and unreliable as of now as it has too much dependency :fingers-crossed:

heartburnkid

Dec 24, 2010
I can't seem to get the Control Mapper to worn on my Shield. I set a button to launch the Control Mapper, but it never actually launches when I press it. I'm on Shield Experience 7.1.0 (Android TV 8.0). Any ideas?

EDIT: Turns out you have to hold the button for a few seconds. All good here now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: vladdracko

leandrox

Nov 26, 2010
Seattle
Hi all.
Not sure how to use this. I have an Android TV Box with a remote that has numbers. I was hoping to be able to use the numbers as a T9 to enter text into the Box.
I installed CMAK but haven't found the way to use it yet. Can someone help me, please? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: vladdracko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This experimental input method for Android TV devices includes both a control mapper and a variety of options for text entry.

Jump to the latest release.

Control Mapper:
    • Remap buttons
    • Use buttons as hotkeys to quickly launch favorite apps
    • Switch your Sony Touchpad Remote to/from mouse pointer mode (Sony Bravia only)
    • Create several control mapper profiles and assign each app to the appropriate profile

Keyboard:
    • On-screen keyboard
    • T9 style entry with a TV remote with number and color keys
    • Dictate the contents of any text field using your remote with onboard microphone
      Note: This means voice search will not be summoned when a text field has focus.

Notes:
    • Motion controls (e.g. analog sticks) cannot yet be remapped. An extremely limited form of this functionality is expected to eventually be released for all users. Full support will require the app to be signed with the platform key.
    • It might be possible to remap your controls in such a way that you have difficulty using your TV. Don't do that.
    v2016.09.17

* Can now intercept the GUIDE key on Sony Bravia TV's
    * Vendor-neutral improvements in the dispatch of special keys. Because CMAK cannot intercept most of these keys, you will generally have to choose them from the list instead of recording them.
    * When choosing a key to dispatch from the list, CMAK will now detect special keys that are relevant to your TV and list them above everything else. This should dramatically reduce the need to scroll the list and reduce the amount of guessing necessary when special keys have terrible names.

For the benefit of anyone else who has a Sony Bravia, these are the special keys on my TV:

3D_MODE
    Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but displays the "3D Mode" configuration dialog.
    BUTTON_1
    The DISCOVER button on my remote.
    BUTTON_2
    The ACTION MENU button on my remote.
    BUTTON_3
    The SYNC MENU button on my remote.
    BUTTON_4
    The NETFLIX button on my remote. It is suggested that if you want to map a key to Netflix, that you use an app shortcut instead.
    BUTTON_5
    BUTTON_6
    Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but opens the "Playstation Now" app. It is suggested that you if you want to map a key to Playstation Now, that you use an app shortcut instead.
    BUTTON_7
    BUTTON_8
    Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but opens the "Google Play Movies" app. It is suggested that you if you want to map a key to Google Play Movies, that you use an app shortcut instead.
    BUTTON_15
    BUTTON_16
    These have no apparent function on my TV.
    GUIDE
    The GUIDE button on my remote. CMAK can also intercept this button and remap it.
    HELP
    The HELP button on my remote.
    TV
    The TV button on my remote.
    TV_CONTENTS_MENU
    Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but opens a dialog that says the feature is not available.
    TV_INPUT
    The TV INPUT button on my remote.
    TV_INPUT_COMPOSITE_1
    Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but switches the input to VIDEO 1.
    TV_INPUT_COMPOSITE_2
    TV_INPUT_COMPONENT_1
    TV_INPUT_COMPONENT_2
    Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but switches the input to COMPONENT.
    TV_INPUT_HDMI_1
    TV_INPUT_HDMI_2
    TV_INPUT_HDMI_3
    TV_INPUT_HDMI_4
    Does not correspond to any key on my remote, but switches the input to the corresponding HDMI input.
    TV_INPUT_VGA_1
    TV_ZOOM_MODE
    The WIDE button on my remote.
    v2016.09.29
    • Optional non-staggered key layout
    • Added new "Peripheral Manager" but it's not good for much yet
    • Various internal fixes and improvements

If you're using CMAK, please post your feedback!
    Don't work for me, any tutorial ?
    I can't seem to get the Control Mapper to worn on my Shield. I set a button to launch the Control Mapper, but it never actually launches when I press it. I'm on Shield Experience 7.1.0 (Android TV 8.0). Any ideas?

EDIT: Turns out you have to hold the button for a few seconds. All good here now. Thanks!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone