[Android TV x86] [Guide] DIYTV (My own version of Google TV)

Search This thread
Feb 1, 2021
Installing on a USB drive on my Surface Pro 5 (2017) and whenever I try to boot I get the error
"No such device /android-2020-03-30/kernel.
variable 'root' isn't set
you need to load the kernel first"

This happens when I try to boot any of the options in the menu. I've got secure boot disabled too and that hadn't helped anything

Thank you for your work, everything is close to perfect, but unfortunately the remote control volume button does not work, is there a way to get support for the remote control? Thank you!
As i said in another post, unforunately the os Is being Revealed as a TV Box. There could be a way to make It look like a standard TV but It Is almost impossible.

Pyoner

Apr 11, 2021
Im Sorry but android x86 in general doesn't support external USB wifi or bluetooth. You can try ethernet or use your (android) phone with tethering USB. I can't help much with this problem since even normal aosp doesn't support USB wifi.
I tried several USB WIFI and found that D-Link DWA-121 can work properly

I bought a remote control with a red line learning function and solved the volume button problem smoothly :).
However, there are still some small problems, the APK installed by myself may not run smoothly, youtube playback of certain videos will be closed directly.
Continue testing

AENEESSE

Apr 16, 2021
Hi, thank so much for sharing, I followed your instruction and get all working but only volume control. In my case, I use android remote controller from google. Does you know any suggestion for me?
To activate the volume controll you need desactivate audio plugins (Dolby Atmos etc..), go to Settings>Device Preferences>Sound>Select Formats and choose MANUAL. After, go back to Sound settings and you will able to desactivate the USE FIXED VOLUME option. Restart!

Reactions: Pyoner

Pyoner

Apr 11, 2021
To activate the volume controll you need desactivate audio plugins (Dolby Atmos etc..), go to Settings>Device Preferences>Sound>Select Formats and choose MANUAL. After, go back to Sound settings and you will able to desactivate the USE FIXED VOLUME option. Restart!

Great! This works!
Thank you!

Moonmaker00

Apr 16, 2021

DIYTV ------- Guide by LolitoPicolito.
Note1: I am NOT responsible of your device’s health. If something got broken on the install, try to ask here in the community.
Note2: The Netflix APK wasn’t built by me but by (linksource) and I give credit to this guy for making a useful APK.

EDIT1:The iso is only 64bit, no 32bit iso rn :( Another thing, if the Netflix Fix dosen't work, try to uninstall and reinstall the apk untill it works, thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Links
Android TV X86 Pie: Download - MEGA
Netflix APK ATV (optional): Download - MEGA
Netflix APK FIX (read Fix Netflix): https://mega.nz/folder/UtkDSCKB#LrPhzAOf1C8abKJ-hQ1biw/file/E58ijLjT (Netflix_4.16.1_ZJ_HDFix-screenSize.apk)
Rufus: Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)
or BalenaEtcher: balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives

Fix Netflix: This is a standard Netflix Tablet APK and I put this in to fix a problem that you may have with Netflix ATV. If you can’t open the app (the app opens but it immediately closes without displaying anything) you’ll need to uninstall Netflix ATV, install the fix APK first, see if it boots then install the other Netflix ATV APK. It should work and the ATV Version should now boot (you can uninstall the fix). I don’t know why but I discovered this when I was trying to reinstall everything to immediately see if there was some bugs.

Fix Home: This one is simple. If your Home starts freaking out, it maybe updated and its lethal and you’ll need to reinstall the whole OS. I hope that you are here not for your home that’s freaking out and you come from the guide. Just go on the play store and disable automatic updates from the setting icon.

Known Bugs:
Chromecast built-in doesn't work.
Home may break if updated (See Fix Home).
USB Debugging doesn’t work (wireless adb).

What Works:
Netflix ATV(Only 480p because of the Widevine L1 cert.)
Youtube
Prime Video
Play Store
Google Assistant
Games (based on HW)
Spotify
WiFi
Bluetooth
USB
HDMI/VGA Output (Only on “Laptop Mode” for notebooks that needs to display out an external monitor)
SD Card
Controller (USB and BT)

Guide:
1. Flash the ISO File with Rufus or BalenaEtcher on a USB(4GB Min.).
2. When its done take the USB and put it on the PC.
3. When it boots, press ESC to display your Boot Selector.
4. Select your USB
5. When it displays a blue screen go on Installation, or if you want to see if your PC works with this OS, go select Android TV (First Option).
6. Select your partition / hdd that you want to install the OS in. (DISCLAIMER!! Go see how to select the right partition or your currently installed OS will may corrupt, or not boot.).
7. IMPORTANT! Select to ext4 for file system, or it will not boot / work!
8. Yes to install EFI GRUB2.
9. Reboot.
10. Press again ESC Untill it shows up the Boot selection and select Android TV.
11. Select the first option if you are from desktop, or if you are from notebook and you want to display the OS on an VGA/HDMI screen just select the Android TV (Laptop Mode) and close your laptop screen. In a few seconds it should appear the terminal in your external screen.
12. Do the standard Android TV Setup and it should now bring you to the Home of your Android TV. YOU DID IT!
13. IMPORTANT!!! Go see the Fix for Netflix and the Home Fix.
14. If video reproduction is a little bit slow, go on settings, device preferences, display, 3d , And select force hardware acceleration.

Credits to : Me! (Guide, and concept created and scripted by LolitoPicolito.)
??: Creator of the Netflix ATV APK. Netflix in HD is being killed in some of the Chinese boxes. - FreakTab

P.S. If there are some bugs that I am not aware of, please email me on lollotvemail@gmail.com and you are free to make a video on this guide! I am not english and sooo... it might be written not good. Hope you understand and this is my first post on this AMAZING website.
I followed the step but my wifi is not detecting. But when i run this through live version it detects my wifi's.Is there any fix

nawe19

May 14, 2018
Hi, currently this seems to work great, except no matter what I do it cannot log into my google account, the sign in page always crashes

nawe19

May 14, 2018
Hi, currently this seems to work great, except no matter what I do it cannot log into my google account, the sign in page always crashes
Update. I got it working by booting with hardware acceleration turned off and logging in via Google play Games.

however now I just can't get to match my tvs resolution. if I put it in laptop mode. it just matches the resolution of my 1600x900 laptop. so it doesnt fit my 1080p tv at all. and if I do it without laptop mode. I just get massive black bars around the screen, that I can't fix even with the display settings

tarlabasi

May 17, 2013
Istanbul
Update. I got it working by booting with hardware acceleration turned off and logging in via Google play Games.

however now I just can't get to match my tvs resolution. if I put it in laptop mode. it just matches the resolution of my 1600x900 laptop. so it doesnt fit my 1080p tv at all. and if I do it without laptop mode. I just get massive black bars around the screen, that I can't fix even with the display settings
I have the same problem. I have 40" TV. I changed the grub settings but nothing happened.

update:: If I understood your problem correctly, I solved it.

edit the grub settings and add this to laptop mode.
video=LVDS-1:d
for ex:
video=eDP-1:d video=LVDS-1:d video=HDMI-A-1:e
It will completely turn off the laptop screen and transmit a full hd screen to the TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeaDZooM

Rodrigo50006

Apr 30, 2021
Hello, when I finish the installation I press run or reboot and the next screen gets stuck at "console:/ #".
I have a core 2 duo e7500 processor and I install with rufus.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DIYTV ------- Guide made by LolitoPicolito.
    Note1: I am NOT responsible of your device’s health. If something got broken on the install, try to ask here in the community.
    Note2: Netflix was patched. EDIT
    Note3: I didn't develop the iso, it was provided by this youtuber here.(
    )
    I just made the guide.

Links
    Android TV X86 Pie: Refreshed Download
    Rufus: Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)
    or BalenaEtcher: balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives

Fix Home: Might be related to HW Acceleration, either way just disable automatic updates.

Known Bugs:
    Chromecast built-in doesn't work.
    Home may break if updated (See Fix Home).
    USB Debugging doesn’t work (wireless adb).

What Works:
    Netflix ATV(NO LONGER WORKS.)
    Youtube
    Prime Video (must be tablet version.)
    Play Store
    Google Assistant
    Games
    Spotify
    WiFi
    Bluetooth
    USB
    HDMI/VGA Output (Only on “Laptop Mode” for notebooks that needs to display out an external monitor)
    SD Card
    Game Controller (USB and BT)

HowTo:
    1. Flash the ISO File with Rufus or BalenaEtcher on a USB(4GB Min.).
    2. When its done take the USB and put it on the PC.
    3. When it boots, press ESC to display your Boot Selector.
    4. Select your USB
    5. When it displays a blue screen go on Installation, or if you want to see if your PC works with this OS, go select Android TV (First Option).
    6. Select your partition / dedicated disk where you want to install the OS in. (DISCLAIMER!! Be sure to select the correct partition.)

7. IMPORTANT! Select to ext4 for file system, or it will not boot / work!
    8. Yes to install EFI GRUB2.
    9. Reboot.
    10. Press again ESC Untill it shows up the Boot selection and select Android TV.
    11. Select the first option if you are from desktop, otherwise if you want your notebook to display ATV on a external screen just select the Android TV (Laptop Mode) and close your laptop screen. In a few seconds it should appear.
    12. Follow the setup. If you loop in the Google login screen, boot into TWRP and factory reset. (If this doesn't work, refer to the community posts)
    13. IMPORTANT!!! Apply the Home Fix.
    14. If video reproduction is slow, go on settings, device preferences, display, 3D , and select force hardware acceleration.

Credits to: Me, Lolito (Designed the guide.) and the ISO provider.

P.S. Email support has been retreated. I have now edited this guide to make it more readable (and refreshed the download link). Also, some things may be inaccurate since I've lost my testing and main machine a long time ago.
    MOD by tok78 (atv x86 modder)
    Android TV for older computers.
    1. Android 7 x86 (+TV MOD)
    2. Android 8 TV x86 (+Google fix)
    3. Android 9 TV x86 (+Google fix)
    (updated the link to build ATV9)

Builds based on ATV8/9 from TOSantoni (bought)
    "Google fix" reboot when entering a login/pass
    "TV MOD" UI from Android TV and voice search

Tested ATV7 on Lenovo S10-3 (Atom N450)
    And Asus Eee PC 1015PED (Atom N455)
    For Atom D525 (ATV7) need HDMI Sound Fix
    Athlon 64 x2 5600 + Radeon 2600 on ATV9

YouTube (app) is broken on the ATV7
    Replaced YouTube with SmartTubeNext
    (or you can install YouTube ReVanced)
    YouTube (app) on ATV8/9 works great

4. Android 9 TV x86 (Kernel 5.10.32 | xanmod1)
    Root works, Wifi6 AX200 is great, client happy
    For your laptop and (PC) monitor - > Prime OS,
    (1) How to install an android without a USB flash drive?
    Download YourDroid (app) and follow the instructions.
    (2) What should I do when there's no sound?
    Settings - > Audio - > Audio output (HDMI / Speakers)
    Disabling the "Use Fix Volume" option can help you.
    The same you can be done in SoundAbout (app)
    (3) HDMI Sound Fix for Nvidia (Atom D520 / 525)
    - open /system/etc/init.sh | Search "esac" and wrote down
    esac
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',0 on
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',1 on
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',2 on
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',3 on
    mv /dev/snd/pcmC1D3p /dev/snd/pcmC1D3p.original
    ln -sf /dev/snd/pcmC1D7p /dev/snd/pcmC1D3p
    Then save file (init.sh) and reboot your android x86.
    (4) If there are any problems with the screen resolution.
    Settings - > Screen - > Screen Position (resize / overscan)
    (5) How to change the screen resolution (+ hertz)
    - open /boot/grub/menu.lst | Edit, save and reboot
    for HDMI -> video=HDMI-1:1920x1080-32@60D
    for Display -> video=LVDS-1:1920x1080-32@60e
    HD+ 1360x768 | Quad HD 2560x1440 | 4K 3840x2160
    (6) Make me a ATV9 for a 4:3 monitor / portable TV
    Catch build AVT9 (for HD+ and more lower resolution)
    ---
    Updating ATV builds for older computers.
    1) ATV7 x86 32bit (with Leanback on Fire launcher)
    2) ATV7 x86 32bit (with Projectivy Launcher)
    If your app's does not appear on the launcher's desktop, you must go to Launcher Settings - > Main Screen - > Hidden Applications - > Show system and non-system TV applications (on). If Youtube doesn't work. Open X-Plore (app) looking for System - > App - > YouTube and press install.
    3) ATV8 x86 32bit (with Google TV launcher)
    4) ATV9 x86 64bit (with Google TV launcher)
    The welcome screen can now be skipped (after installing Android) and instead of authorization you will be right on the launcher's desktop.
    5) ATV9 x86 64bit (on Kernel 5.10 + Wifi6)
    6) ATV9 x86 64bit (on Kernel 5.18 + Wifi6)
    Build for Haswell or hardware newer. It is possible to launch on AMD Ryzen. There is support for Wifi6. Checked for AX1650i, AX200, AC8265. Most likely Bluetooth and HDMI will not work.
    (1) How to install an android without a USB flash drive?
    Download YourDroid (app) and follow the instructions.
    (2) What should I do when there's no sound?
    Settings - > Audio - > Audio output (HDMI / Speakers)
    Disabling the "Use Fix Volume" option can help you.
    The same you can be done in SoundAbout (app)
    (3) HDMI Sound Fix for Nvidia (Atom D520 / 525)
    - open /system/etc/init.sh | Search "esac" and wrote down
    esac
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',0 on
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',1 on
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',2 on
    alsa_amixer -c1 set 'IEC958',3 on
    mv /dev/snd/pcmC1D3p /dev/snd/pcmC1D3p.original
    ln -sf /dev/snd/pcmC1D7p /dev/snd/pcmC1D3p
    Then save file (init.sh) and reboot your android x86.
    (4) If there are any problems with the screen resolution.
    Settings - > Screen - > Screen Position (resize / overscan)
    (5) How to change the screen resolution (+ hertz)
    - open /boot/grub/menu.lst | Edit, save and reboot
    for HDMI -> video=HDMI-1:1920x1080-32@60D
    for Display -> video=LVDS-1:1920x1080-32@60e
    HD+ 1360x768 | Quad HD 2560x1440 | 4K 3840x2160
    Building my own Android TV x86, its based off Pie (9) but eventually, I'll get it to be built off of Android 11

Bugs
    - Keyboard needs to be mapped as an ATV Remote
    - When typing, entering does not work
    - Remote and accessories crashes

Here is a beta build of my project https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UrDgaHaSk2E0Q_H68i3aILlOE-j7z5RF?usp=sharing

My sources and GitHub https://github.com/Open-Android-TV-x86

Here is My discord group if anyone wants to help and contribute to it https://discord.gg/4k9HvFf5Vy

Also, I could really used the help from this community with my project since I consider myself a newbie lol

Enjoy :)
    hi please share some screenshots
    I cant do screenshots but i can give you the video that i got the ISO of android tv of. If you need to see netflix, i will soon send screenshots/videos
    <---- UI Video (Not mine, but thats the source where i got the ISO)